• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Designers of This Sonic 3 Level Shall Rot in Hell

MightyHedgehog said:
Wasn't this the thing that was so universally obscure to players that Sega had to give the solution on their 1-900 hint line as part of the recorded greeting statement?

really? i figured it out instantly back in the day. Only with this thread have i found out anyone ever was stumped by it. It wasn't a fun stage, but it wasn't that fun

probune said:
Sonic 3 is SO EASY. I can't believe anyone could ever have trouble with it.

And it's all because of the save system.

Somehow I think Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) would be a much more revered game if you could only save after the first Dr. Robotnik fight and at the end of the game.

jman2050

Here's what you do:

At level start, charge up a spin dash as much as you can. Let go and hold forward. You should end up at the last incline before the first hallway. Hold right to stop yourself quickly, spin dash up the ramp, spin dash past the barriers, fall down the pits, avoid the springs, then just spin dash up the last 3 ramps. No big deal.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Somehow I think Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) would be a much more revered game if you could only save after the first Dr. Robotnik fight and at the end of the game.

Real men play "No Save" mode :p I can't remember the last time I used a save slot on a vanilla S3K playthrough.

gketter said:
really? i figured it out instantly back in the day. Only with this thread have i found out anyone ever was stumped by it. It wasn't a fun stage, but it wasn't that fun
I think I remember only because I, myself, was stuck for an hour or more trying to figure out what I was missing when I got to that point. I, too, tried uselessly jumping up and down, trying to loosen the barrel. :lol After swallowing my pride, I seem to remember calling the hint line in desperation...or something. The solution was added to the recorded greeting as, apparently, a way to stem the torrent of calls regarding the stupid spinning drum of cockblocking. The damned manual didn't say anything about special actions or interactive props that required anything more than collision.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That Carnival part fucked me up. I earned that by jumping. Thank God the Knuckles portion lets you take the alternate route that is much easier to figure out. Although that underwater bit they make you go through can be sorta challenging. AHHH nostalgia of the good days in Sonic lore.

jman2050 said:
This is baby stuff.

Sandapolis Act 2 will make you cry if you're struggling here.
I remember the feel of those levels. So cool in hindsight but depressing with all the darkness in some parts. The music had that deserted/lonely feeling to it. I couldn't wait to finish that Zone.

Markster

The real problem with Hydrocity is when you drown in the intermission between Act 1 and Act 2.

Always grab a breath of air before finishing off the act 1 boss... :S

Jswanko

crowphoenix said:
That describes my existence as a kid. Man, did I feel dumb when I finally figured it out.
It literally took my brother and i 3 hours of starring at the screen to figure this out.

Blueblur1

Jonnyboy117 said:
sonic3hell.jpg

Hydrocity Zone: Act 2

Fact 1: There is a fast moving wall coming in from the left that will crush Sonic against the ramps.

Fact 2: The ramps are so steep that the only way to climb them is with a spin dash.

Fact 3: The design of these ramps directly contradicts the controls of a 2D Sonic game, because Sonic will land on the slope and slide back down, and he can't charge up a spin dash until he comes to a complete stop.

Fact 4: You have to play through another annoying level, Hydrocity Zone: Act 1, just to get to this part, and running out of lives means you have to start from the beginning of Act 1.

Fact 5: This is only the second zone in the game.
I easily beat that in 2 tries when I first tried it in 1993. When I was 8 years old. True story.

Sciz

I don't know why you would wish death upon a wonderful man like Hirokazu Yasuhara. :(

That part in Hydrocity did freak me out a bit as a kid, though. And the similar segment in Marble Garden. And Sandopolis. And then there was that damn barrel. There's nothing in the game that I can't breeze right past these days, though.

jman2050

LiquidMetal14 said:
I remember the feel of those levels. So cool in hindsight but depressing with all the darkness in some parts. The music had that deserted/lonely feeling to it. I couldn't wait to finish that Zone.

I hated it. My least favorite level in the game and the one I always dread when I play the game straight through every 2 weeks or so. Fortunately, it isn't that bad since the always awesome Lava Reef immediately comes after :D

Sciz said:
That part in Hydrocity did freak me out a bit as a kid, though. And the similar segment in Marble Garden. And Sandopolis. And then there was that damn barrel. There's nothing in the game that I can't breeze right past these days, though.

I'm willing to wager that Death Egg is a lot harder than you remember :p

Blueblur1

You just gotta spindash up 2 levels at a time and keep moving. There's also a way to glitch it and make the entire wall go away. I used to do that on my Genesis but I forgot how.

Sciz

jman2050 said:
I'm willing to wager that Death Egg is a lot harder than you remember :p
Death Egg is annoying, but there's nothing terrifying in it. The closest it comes (and the only part that really still bugs me) is surviving the reverse-gravity treadmill with spike-lined walls and missiles shooting out at you. Compared to Metropolis and Scrap Brain, the rest is actually pretty tame.

jman2050 said:
This is baby stuff.

Sandapolis Act 2 will make you cry if you're struggling here.

Was this the level from S&K with the sand that you slid all over the place? I only remember getting past that place once when I was a kid.

I remember that Carnival level too. It was so awesome until that cylinder part that everyone has mentioned. It took me so long to figure out what I was doing wrong and the first time I played that game was on SMC, aka when I was not a 6 year old.

When I was younger I use to suck badly at games. If I got stuck I'd make my brother play an entire stage for me and even at that point in my life... I found that part easy.

ZealousD said:
Wait, what?

For a moment I thought you were going to address something legitimately frustrating, like the infamous "barrel" in Carnival Night Zone Act 2.

Haha, yes! that's where that game ended for me for a good 3 weeks when I was 8. This is my FIRST thought.

Firestorm

Jonnyboy117 said:
Okay, I finally got past the part in the OP, just barely. The YouTube videos helped a bit, although they were from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, where Sega obviously decided this part was too hard and replaced one of the antagonistic springs with an extra life. It's also apparently easier if you play as Knuckles since you can stick to the walls rather than spin dash up the ramps.

One thing I saw in the videos that I cannot seem to do is spin dash on an incline. It also seems to take me longer to stop spinning when I want to come to a standstill (to start a spin dash). I wonder if I'm missing out on some well known physics exploits.

At Sonic games, yes. I'm happy to admit that. I was always more of a Mario guy, but give me a little credit for trying to deal with Sonic's vastly inferior controls. Btw, I rented Sonic 3 as a kid and got frustrated on this level even back then, although I definitely remember getting past it to see more of the game back then. So whatever skills I used to have apparently faded.

Why are you playing only Sonic 3 and not the full game?

No. Save system helped me beat it as a kid and without it I don't think I'd play it as much as I did (do). Being able to put it down and come back to it later it awesome. I usually have dozens of lives and hardly ever die, but the 'put it down and come back later' part of save files is great.

RagnarokX

crowphoenix said:
That describes my existence as a kid. Man, did I feel dumb when I finally figured it out.
Why would you feel dumb? The solution to the barrel makes no sense at all. I eventually figured it out by accident as a kid and I felt this bizzare simultaneous feeling of absolute joy and unbridled hatred. I always thought it was odd that the instruction manual for Sonic 2 describes how to use the screw lifts in Metropolis Zone but the manual for Sonic 3 doesn't mention the barrel. I doubt Sonic 3 was play tested cuz I don't think they would have gotten passed the barrel either, lol. Probably the most unintuitive puzzle ever.

2n8c408.gif

Edit: That said, it's still one of the best games of all time :D

jman2050

Sciz said:
Death Egg is annoying, but there's nothing terrifying in it. The closest it comes (and the only part that really still bugs me) is surviving the reverse-gravity treadmill with spike-lined walls and missiles shooting out at you. Compared to Metropolis and Scrap Brain, the rest is actually pretty tame.

Metropolis isn't so bad (except for the star robots. God damn those star robots) and neither is Scrap Brain. Also, the boss of Death Egg Act 1 is extremely irritating, especially if you're a generally impatient person.

jman2050 said:
Metropolis isn't so bad (except for the star robots. God damn those star robots) and neither is Scrap Brain. Also, the boss of Death Egg Act 1 is extremely irritating, especially if you're a generally impatient person.

The star robots are the only challenge in that damn game. You're trying to screw that nut to get to the top, and BOOM. Spike knocks you to the bottom, you gotta do it all again. Lame.

KevinCow

Banned

Honestly, I'd like Sonic 1 and 2 a whole lot more if they had save systems.

Blueblur1

RagnarokX said:
Why would you feel dumb? The solution to the barrel makes no sense at all. I eventually figured it out by accident as a kid and I felt this bizzare simultaneous feeling of absolute joy and unbridled hatred. I always thought it was odd that the instruction manual for Sonic 2 describes how to use the screw lifts in Metropolis Zone but the manual for Sonic 3 doesn't mention the barrel. I doubt Sonic 3 was play tested cuz I don't think they would have gotten passed the barrel either, lol. Probably the most unintuitive puzzle ever.

2n8c408.gif

Edit: That said, it's still one of the best games of all time :D
I was perplexed for about 20 minutes. Then I noticed that when Tails and I jumped on it, the barrel moved. I tried press up and down and eureka. But yeah, it was terrible.

Wow. And here I thought I was the only who had trouble with the spinning red barrels in Carnival Night Zone. I took me so much time to figure those darn things out. Gotta love the 16-bit era. No hand holding at all.

Diablos

Jocchan said:
That was ridiculous. How SEGA managed to get away with that one is beyond me. Since when was pressing up and down on moving platforms a typical thing to do in a Sonic game? At least give some kind of hint.

ZealousD said:
Wait, what?

For a moment I thought you were going to address something legitimately frustrating, like the infamous "barrel" in Carnival Night Zone Act 2.
To this day I still cannot get past that part.

The sad part is that for a few years of my life, I thought the solution was that you had to press up when you jump and down when you land, which got me close bouncing up and down but I could never get through. When I found out that you just press up and down five years later, I wanted to kill myself.

Sharp

That level is awesome dude, what are you talking about.

Edit: Oh no wait we're back on the Carnival Zone bullshit because that's what this thread becomes every time. Reminds me of how in Prince of Persia to defeat the dark version of yourself you have to put away your sword. I kept going up to the top of the level, attempting to fight him, and getting my ass kicked.

Sciz

jman2050 said:
All three Metropolis badniks were the bane of my existence. The mantis and crab still get me more often than I'd like. And that boss, ugh. Scrap Brain is just a death trap all around.

Now that you mention it though, I don't think I've fought Death Egg's Act 1 boss very much without being super or hyper. I'm certain I've beaten it a few times normally (and it still isn't too tough), but for the most part it just crumbles under sheer invincibility.

Sciz said:
All three Metropolis badniks were the bane of my existence. The mantis and crab still get me more often than I'd like. And that boss, ugh. Scrap Brain is just a death trap all around.

Now that you mention it though, I don't think I've fought Death Egg's Act 1 boss very much without being super or hyper. I'm certain I've beaten it a few times normally (and it still isn't too tough), but for the most part it just crumbles under sheer invincibility.

I hate that thing more than any other enemy in any other game. Just the sight of him annoys me.

Zilch

Banned
evilromero said:
The level wasn't hard but it wasn't fun either. Most of the Sonic 3 levels lacked the magic of 1 and 2.

Man, I'm glad I was 9 when Sonic 3 came out and I didn't analyze and ruin games for myself.

Firestorm

evilromero said:
The level wasn't hard but it wasn't fun either. Most of the Sonic 3 levels lacked the magic of 1 and 2.

I liked Sonic 3 & Knuckles better than Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. They were amazingly crafted. Especially when you think of how they were made for 3 characters. I mean, Sonic 2 had Tails as well but Tails was just a Sonic clone.

Sharp

Firestorm said:
I liked Sonic 3 & Knuckles better than Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. They were amazingly crafted. Especially when you think of how they were made for 3 characters. I mean, Sonic 2 had Tails as well but Tails was just a Sonic clone.
Agreed. In particular I think the enormous level design in S3&K is just superb, and powerups are placed much more effectively. Also, S3&K's music > your face.

mmafiend

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I knew it was going to be a water level. I wouldn't mind the level design so much as if the music when you drown didn't sound like a demonic version of the Jaws theme on flaming crack-acid bombs.
lmao qft, it was kinda spooooky

What sonic game was it, I have it on gamegear...

The boss of the first zone:

You get on a train and roll down a hill, then jump off to avoid the lava, and youre scooped up and taken to the top.

The boss area is on a steep incline, theres a killer plant at the bottom.

Fire balls suddenly pop up from the top of the screen, bouncing down and kill you.

I hated this so much :(

castle007

Banned
I am not sure if the following is a glitch or not:

In sonic after you defeat Eggman in the final level, you go to a part of the Green Hill zone for the credits, right??

Well, this happened to me 2 or three times. I would beat the game but then press random buttons and instead of Sonic being controlled by the system, I have control of him during the credits in the Green Hill zone. The credits never show up and I can change form into the animals in the game or ringss, or even the little brown blocks that make up the ground in Green Hilll.

Firestorm said:

Agreed. S3&K is one of the best experiences I've ever had. Getting all 14 emeralds and unlocking Hyper Tails (Or was it Turbo?) was awesome.

RagnarokX

Firestorm said:
Aye, if only Sega still knew how to make a Sonic level :(

crowphoenix said:
Agreed. S3&K is one of the best experiences I've ever had. Getting all 14 emeralds and unlocking Hyper Tails (Or was it Turbo?) was awesome.
There are still only 7. The Super Emeralds were just powered-up chaos emeralds and every game since has had the chaos emeralds in their super emerald form minus the name 0_o

And Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, Super Tails. Chaos emeralds did nothing for Tails, he only got a Super form after powering up the emeralds.

adelante

Jocchan said:
Good God that barrel gave me nightmares! I actually got past it by jumping with Tails n got someone else to control Sonic get off the barrel as soon as it dipped low enough

RagnarokX said:
Aye, if only Sega still knew how to make a Sonic level :(

There are still only 7. The Super Emeralds were just powered-up chaos emeralds and every game since has had the chaos emeralds in their super emerald form minus the name 0_o

And Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, Super Tails. Chaos emeralds did nothing for Tails, he only got a Super form after powering up the emeralds.

You damn well know what I meant. :lol

Top Bottom