• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Franco to star in Danny Boyle's HOURS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I could see Franco getting an Oscar nomination for this movie; I am not, of course, basing that off of ANYTHING, since there's no trailer yet, but I think that between the track records of Boyle and Franco, it's not impossible to predict that Franco is going to do really good to great work in this.

Could be pretty good. I didn't like Slumdog though but I've liked all of his other films (with the exception of The Beach).

So chalk me up as cautiously optimistic, since this is Boyle post-Slumdog.

I doubt I'll see this because stuff concerning being trapped in tight places like caves and the such just drains me, being incredibly claustrophobic and all. I'm sure it'll be good though!

Blader

brandonh83 said:
I doubt I'll see this because stuff concerning being trapped in tight places like caves and the such just drains me, being incredibly claustrophobic and all. I'm sure it'll be good though!

Then you're not going to want to see this either. :lol

Blader5489 said:
Then you're not going to want to see this either. :lol

fuck no the teaser I saw in the theater almost gave me a panic attack. when I saw Kill Bill vol. 2, when Uma busts up out of the ground I was breathing about as hard as she was.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Could someone explain me why GAF loves this guy?

Ive seen a funny picture of him with one of those japanese anime pillows and Tina Fey. (Weird yet attractive imagery)

Man, I saw a documentary about this 'adventure'. I don't know if I would've been able to force myself to do what he did to get himself out of this situation.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Fersis said:
Could someone explain me why GAF loves this guy?

Ive seen a funny picture of him with one of those japanese anime pillows and Tina Fey. (Weird yet attractive imagery)
1. He's been in movies GAF loves
2. He's a "cool down to earth guy" because of the little internet comedy videos he's done on the side
3. Motherfucking Pineapple Express--he killed in that movie. he was a stoner.

Silkworm

In some ways this reminds me of the movie "Into the Wild", except I think "127 Hours" will have a bit more of an uplifting ending (can't see how it coudln't ;-) and I probably won't find the main character to be quite so naive. :p

exarkun

Looks like it might be a wild emotional ride. From the way he goes from babes to boulders so...seamlessly is pretty frightening.

xbhaskarx

soundscream said:
What are the odds of it being 127 min long?

Maybe it will be 127 hours long with a running clock like "24"

I heard this is part of a trilogy, 127 Hours, 127 Days, and 127 Months. Great movie titles, imo.

I don't like how the boulder-fall is edited in the trailer. Way too anti-climactic, and I'm thinking it's going to get laughs in the theater. Other than that, looks good.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Silkworm said:
In some ways this reminds me of the movie "Into the Wild", except I think "127 Hours" will have a bit more of an uplifting ending (can't see how it coudln't ;-) and I probably won't find the main character to be quite so naive. :p

Just watching the trailer I got the same feeling. I loved Into the Wild so hopefully I will like this. But that trailer seems win. Wonder if they are gonna graphically show him cutting his arm off.

smokeymicpot said:
Just watching the trailer I got the same feeling. I loved Into the Wild so hopefully I will like this. But that trailer seems win. Wonder if they are gonna graphically show him cutting his arm off.

It's rated R, I doubt it's gonna be too tame.

Lionel Mandrake said:
I don't like how the boulder-fall is edited in the trailer. Way too anti-climactic, and I'm thinking it's going to get laughs in the theater. Other than that, looks good.
Well, it's not the climax of the movie, why should it be climactic? In any case I don't know how you can make this judgment based on a teaser trailer.

Boyle = awesome.

smokeymicpot said:
Awesome. This is gonna be a last half of the movie season. With this decent summer.

Inception, Toy Story 3, Cyrus, Winter's Bone, and Scott Pilgrim redeemed this summer and made it better than last year's, imo.

MMaRsu

Banned
I love Franco so WOOHOO.

Although I do want to see him in another great comedy like Pineapple Express, he was fucking genius in that movie man.

Gary Whitta said:
Well, it's not the climax of the movie, why should it be climactic? In any case I don't know how you can make this judgment based on a teaser trailer.

Boyle = awesome.

Considering that the boulder is sort of a big plot point, it should have a bit more impact (No pun intended). Obviously this is a teaser, and the full scene is probably a lot more dramatic and emotional, but the problem I have is that for the casual movie-goer, this is going to be their introduction to the movie, and I think how quickly it happens, and how little force it seems to carry is going to be kind of a turn-off. I'm sure Danny Boyle's filmography will counteract this for most, but I think such an important moment should have left more of an oomph. Maybe a full trailer will do it justice.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Inferno313 said:
Inception, Toy Story 3, Cyrus, Winter's Bone, and Scott Pilgrim redeemed this summer and made it better than last year's, imo.

I only seen there of those. Still need to see a few more. Last year had Star Trek, UP, 500 Days of Summer, D9 and the Hangover. They are probably about the same.

Winter's Bone is fantastic. Not exactly a summer film though.

And Inception, Toy Story 3 and Scott Pilgrim destroy anything that came out last summer.

this was my friend's response from the test screening:
Todd McCarthy wrote of the Coen brothers A Serious Man, "This is the kind of movie you get to make after you've won an Oscar." The same can be said of Danny Boyle's latest, 127 Hours. In telling the true story of a climber who is forced to amputate his arm after being trapped for five days, Boyle and James Franco certainly do a lot with a little. The cinematography by Boyle regular Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak is beautiful and inventive. The score by Slumdog Millionaire composer A.R Rahman is strong as are a few well selected pop songs. The presence of supporting players is kept to a minimum as Franco aptly commandeers what is essentially a one man movie. The intensity of his situation is tempered by a good sense of humor, including a wonderful reference to Scorsese's The King of Comedy. It won't be an easy a sell as Slumdog, but intrepid audiences will be treated to a challenging, rewarding effort from a director at the top of his game.

ezekial45

Banned
"The intensity of his situation is tempered by a good sense of humor, including a wonderful reference to Scorsese's The King of Comedy."

I have a feeling i know what kind of reference it'll be.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Definitely looking forward to this. I definitely like Boyle, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and say right about now he's a bit overrated. Slumdog was good, but not great. However I believe he made the greatest zombie movie of the past 20 years.

Am I the only one who thinks that this movie is a waste of money? And this is coming from someone who loved Slumdog Millionaire.

I know, the guy went through hell, cut off his arm, yada yada yada. I just don't want to watch 100 minutes of happy footage leading up to that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom