• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft shuts down worlds largest spam network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
AstroLad said:
if "no one truly follows the rules of being ethical" (wtflol) then we can just ignore the Ethisphere Awards which was the point of my post in the first place so win-win
just want to throw that out there. Didn't know it was a contest?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Shed_a_Ninja said:
This, plus the ability to put batteries in a device any which way, are the only good things that have come out of Microsoft lately.

That, and this little thing called Windows 7...

Well . . . it is Microsoft's operating system that is getting breached and creating these zombie armies, so it is not like they are must a disinterested party.

Man, I remember the days when people left SMTP servers open to be used as back-up relays. The good old days of the net when you didn't need locks on your doors.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shadowcomplex said:
Didn't know it was a contest?
it was a contest -- a contest for most ethical company! i knew the idea of MS winning was fucking hilarious so i don't be evil googl'd for about ten seconds and found out instantly it was bullshit. i look forward to more awesome posts from nvidious about how awesome ms is and how they have won all these cool totally legit and beyond reproach awards and stuff though

DMczaf said:
Why is this not a Law and Order spinoff already?
217521921_7GXmh-L-2.jpg

big_z

Good on Microsoft. Now they need to go after the fuckers that run bots that autocreate web pages. Half the time a search on google leads you to pages of results that are bullshit.

kehs

Banned
Rustock, at its peak, was a botnet of around 2 million spam-sending zombies capable of sending out 30 billion spam email per day. Microsoft's wholesale slaughter of Rustock could reduce worldwide spam output by up to 39%.

Wow.

On a sidenote, I think it's cute the articled use gmail for the image. Gmail cut my spam interaction by 99%.

I wouldn't be surprised if spammers have moved on to bit torrent ish methods of distribution. If they haven't I'm sorry for given them the idea.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
http://media.gdgt.com/img/product/15/bpy/microsoft-windows-xp-oa4-460.jpg[IMG]

Excuse me?[/QUOTE]
Shed_a_Ninja said "lately", XP is almost 10 years old. And even if it wasn't that old, 7 >>> XP.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Shed_a_Ninja said:
microsoft-windows-xp-oa4-460.jpg

Excuse me?

For using a now surpassed OS? Sure. I liked and used Windows XP for many years myself, but everything about Win 7 is better, even on alot of older hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom