• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hyrule Historia Discussion Thread

MYE

This is awesome. The only thing I wished they would go into more depth with is the dungeons. I'd like to see more concept art or layouts or even from the developers themselves about certain dungeons.

I think they probably thought rough dungeon sketches and layouts would not be interesting. They were wrong :(

ASIS

This is awesome. The only thing I wished they would go into more depth with is the dungeons. I'd like to see more concept art or layouts or even from the developers themselves about certain dungeons.
I think dungeons need to be kept secret since they might re-use some rejected ideas.

If you are talking about the story or inspiration of certain dungeons, yeah that would have been great.

missfuuchan

Neo Member
where to buy the limited editiom in uk?

Try local comic book stores, you might get lucky - Both of the stores in my city had copies but all were reserved - there is no harm in trying your local one though :)

I think you'll struggle to get one online now, unless you want to pay an eBay premium

Absolutely surprised at the weight, size and quality of this thing, Im in love, it looks so sick on my desk, regular edition BTW.

It looks and feels better than most of my Uni books which cost $140

Tookay

I hate when people keep asking for that, since I don't want Link to talk as it will break the connection between me and him.

What connection? I feel like this has gotten a little overblown. Link already acts on his own feelings - independent of the player - in several of the more recent games as it is. The connection was a nice, quaint concept back in the early era of Zelda, but is pretty outdated today. There are still ways to make you feel connected to the main character while making him an actualized person.

Say who?

It's in a book that was overseen by Nintendo that gave us the entire timeline. It also fills in the gaps and answer question of the event prior to Skyward Sword.

So until Nintendo says that the Manga isn't cannon I will accept it.

The Zelda mangas have always been non-canon, with interesting "what ifs" and explanations, but nothing more.

Wish the section for Skyward Sword wasn't so big, I need more info about the Oracles games and Link's Awakening but that design of Ganon for the Oracles games was pretty cool looking, especially since you never see that form at all!

It looks like the emphasized a lot of the information for SS to deal with the "origins" of the story. Still, the little tidbits and blurbs are awesome reads.

MYE

Wish the section for Skyward Sword wasn't so big, I need more info about the Oracles games and Link's Awakening but that design of Ganon for the Oracles games was pretty cool looking, especially since you never see that form at all!

I'm pretty sure one didnt take the place of the other. They probably didnt have much to work with regarding the Oracle games.

I love the SS stuff

Platy

Twilight Princess[/B] Sheik with an actual feminine figure.
4BjI9S7.jpg

Complicated to call it unused, since it was "used" in Smash Bros Brawl

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Easier to pretend the LE is the actual Book of Mudora, with its nondescript cover. Though the actual Book of Mudora is green I suppose.

giggas

Anyone else that has read through most of the timeline stuff just find that the overall story arc is depressing? Link often seems to get screw and/or forgotten and Hyrule seems to just be shit for the most part. In one timeline people have been reduced to living caves while in another it's just been flushed under the ocean. And apparently after Twilight Princess, the notion of there being another dimension caused people to go ape shit AFTER Link saved the day? Tough stuff.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've dreamed about having a Zelda book like this since I was a kid and watched all those cool illustrations in game magazines. This is amazing.

massoluk

Banned
Anyone else that has read through most of the timeline stuff just find that the overall story arc is depressing? Link often seems to get screw and/or forgotten and Hyrule seems to just be shit for the most part. In one timeline people have been reduced to living caves while in another it's just been flushed under the ocean. And apparently after Twilight Princess, the notion of there being another dimension caused people to go ape shit AFTER Link saved the day? Tough stuff.

And he never get the girl, after all those shits he went through. Not even a kiss.

Loxley

I'll echo the slight disappointment that about 70% of the book is focused on character art while the dungeons and environment designs kind of get the shaft. But hey, I'm really interested in character design, so it's more of a nit-pick.

MYE

On Demise:

"It is said that Demise, the most evil of all evil, who commands enough power to destroy the world, appears in each era and looks different to each person who sees him(...)"

hmm... so his appearance in SS is exclusive to that Link/that era?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just ordered mine yesterday (didn't even know it was going to be available from Swedish retailers, but lo and behold, it is!), guess I'll be getting it sometime next week. Gonna be great, it seems pretty awesome! I settled for the regular edition though, it seems nice enough. Just can't justify spending more than twice as much for some faux leather and gilded pages (and the feeling of exclusivity, I guess).

Lol, just bought it from amazon.com for 20 euros, thanks to this thread, what an amazing price.

One of my friends is waiting for the spanish version Norma is going to release here (translated and all) but im pretty sure it will be overpriced by a lot (maybe 60 euros), and we dont even know still if they are using the japanese small format or the american big one.

Now we play the waiting game, 30 days probably lol.

Just got my copy in the mail from Amazon. I'll be busy fapping for the next little while. Do Not Disturb.

It's really a gorgeous book. And it's an even nicer surprise since I totally forgot it was coming out this week.

What's amazing to me is that I've seen barely any marketing on Nintendo's part for this localization. I think Dark Horse announced it and featured it on their blog, but did Nintendo even bother marketing this at all besides their event at the Nintendo World store in NYC? Website, email, social media, anything?

Tookay

What's amazing to me is that I've seen barely any marketing on Nintendo's part for this localization. I think Dark Horse announced it and featured it on their blog, but did Nintendo even bother marketing this at all besides their event at the Nintendo World store in NYC? Website, email, social media, anything?

I think I might have seen it on Nintendo's FB page.

But otherwise, nope.

Then again, that's sort of par for the course.

Not that I've seen. But it didn't seem to matter since that shit shot to #1 seller on Amazon as soon as it was announced. I think their target audience usually has their ear to the ground with video game/comic/anime news that they really didn't need to spend much in the way of marketing. The people they wanted to reach already knew.

I got mine yesterday and unable to pace myself I ended up going through the whole thing in one day, which tells me that I found it a very enjoyable read.
Concept art and unused character ideas are the highlight for me, the timeline stuff is nice but seeing preliminary sketches, alternative designs and ideas are more up my alley and I really hope Nintendo give other series similar treatment seeing how this book seems to be selling pretty well.

Highly recommended stuff, makes me want to crack into Skyward Sword's hero mode.

How much spoilers are in this book?

I have not gotten far in Skyward Swords my Wii U backlog is keeping me from going Wii Mode
not that I care so much about spoiling a zelda game for myself that would be nothing new

The Collector's Edition costs twice as much and doesn't look this pretty.

dsc01327llxw.jpg

the LE having no gold leaf is kinda meh
almost not worth keeping it shrink wrapped I feel sorry for the people paying $300 for it

Rich!

Got mine today from amazon via royal mail.

Two corners are completely bashed in, and bent. Pages 1-4 ripped.

Fucking pissed off. If I complain to amazon, what should I expect?

Top Bottom