• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Fighters - 2013 Edition [Results]

Dr. Kaos

Banned
For the first bold...that /really/ comes down to if you mean 2D or 3D, because I honestly think BB looks cleaner than SF4. :l

If I only looked at screenshots, or maybe even at 30fps videos, I'd be inclined to agree with you. During play, I find there is no comparison. There is a certain kinetic feel to impacts on street fighter, a certain secret sauce that makes hitting people more satisfying. My guess is that it requires a lot of polish into facial and body animations on hit.

As for the second one, I don't like the body designs and proportions for SF translated into 3D. Some characters look to meaty, some look to stuffy and closed together. This is specficially for SF4, whereas for Ult. Marvel, the characters look much more closer to their original designs.

Yes, it is true. That's one reason why I can't wait for SFV. They can also do a lot more with hair, fabrics, articulations, skin, mouth, teeth and so on. It ought to make punching someone in their virtual face even more satisfying :D

An overall essential fighters list on neogaf would bad regardless of the amount of people that voting because there is a heavy bias on Capcom games. Just look at the top ten list. And the lack of votes would make that bias a lot more noticeable.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
An overall essential fighters list on neogaf would bad regardless of the amount of people that voting because there is a heavy bias on Capcom games. Just look at the top ten list. And the lack of votes would make that bias a lot more noticeable.

Or maybe Capcom fighters deserve the praise?

massoluk

Banned
May be ya should do GAF vote series around the same time next time so fighters and shmups might get some more exposure and not drop from first page.

Well If anyone is reading and using the list to get into fighters, don't let the games with lower votes deter you, there's a bunch of super good games down there.

Loona

Didn't see the voting thread, and advertising it on the fighting games weekly thread is useless since those tend to get huge and feel like 70% Marvel whenever I check them, with few deviations from Capcom in there - it really shows in the results.

A better use of that thread would be using the OP to find the OTs for other series and advertise there, they're easier to stay subscribed to since they don't change every week.

In fewer words, SNK was robbed.

Thores

Hey, Skullgirls got into the Top 10, woo! Well, sort of. This is the first ranking on GAF I've seen that didn't skip numbers to balance out ties. Still nice to see SG place as respectably as it did.

That said I would be totally okay with a redo on the entire voting phase. For one thing all the other Essentials threads have a whole lot more variety than this. I think if we had a thread with more awareness and a bigger sample of FightingGAF votes, the end results would be really cool to see.

Zukuu

Banned
I was the only one to show love for Battle Arena Toshinden? D:

At least 2 others have noted Tekken 4 as the best part of the series. <3

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
If I voted.

1. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
    SURPRISE!
    This game is my jam. Every thing about this game feels great, from movement to fuzzy guards to combos. VF is fast, smart and fun.
  2. Tatsunoko vs Capcom
    Capcom's versus series is expansive and its difficult to only pick one game for this list. What sets TvC apart from the rest aside from its flamboyant roster are its mechanics which emphasize risk vs reward. Want to extend that combo? Hope you're willing to cough up some red health. Obviously TvC's engine would serve as the backbone to MvC3, but stuff like giants and bursts and baroque would not return. I like this odd duck.
  3. Soul Calibur V
    Having to choose between SCV and SCII is tough, and I changed my selection twice while finishing this sentence. I was not around for II's competitive scene, but sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into its single player offerings. However what keeps me enamored with fighting games is multiplayer, and V is the game I've spent the most time trying to crack open. Spent some great nights at my local spot clashing swords with one of the best SC players on the east coast. Come to think of it I've never played this game online - I should change that.
  4. Street Fighter IV
    I owe SFIV. This game got me off my ass and introduced me to my local scene. I started entering tournaments because of this game. I'll probably pick up Ultra even though this game is mostly behind me, but I'd feel wrong to omit it from this list.
  5. Persona 4 Arena
    I strongly dislike the pace of BlazBlue and I haven't cracked the surface of Guilty Gear, but Persona 4 Arena is an anime fighter I like a lot. Narukami's 5D shenanigans are just a blast, the damage is very high and the presentation is incredible. I get to play this once in a while at my fight night but it's mostly an online experience for me. Such pure fun.

Honorable mentions
  • KOFXIII
  • VSav
  • SCII
  • XvSF

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the voting needs to be re-done. The OP put a lot of work into this and everyone comes and shit on it. Your favorite game didn't cut it? People like other things too. Keep an eye open for the next one and cut it out with the fucking salt.

Teknoman

I don't think the voting needs to be re-done. The OP put a lot of work into this and everyone comes and shit on it. Your favorite game didn't cut it? People like other things too. Keep an eye open for the next one and cut it out with the fucking salt.

Dunno how I missed out on this yet ended up seeing the shoot em up essentials thread every time I jumped on GAF. Its a solid list, and maybe I need to play Skullgirls, but i'm surprised there was no mention of a Soul series game or that KoF missed the boat ;p

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The last voting thread was more than twice as long and was for a much more niche genre. It is not surprising or unreasonable that people feel they missed out on this.

ajb1888

Banned
Personal favorites (current gen)

Tekken Tag 2
Street Fighter X Tekken
Mortal Kombat 9
King of Fighters XIII
Injustice

Thores

I think I should clarify that I'm grateful this thread even exists and the OP did a great job putting it together. It just seems like even the OP wishes there was a bigger turnout, and it seems like it'd be pretty easy to ensure that turnout by raising awareness in other threads, namely fighting game OTs. It's not a "these opinons are wrong" redo, just a "50 votes in a community as big as GAFs isn't much of a consensus" one.

Didn't see the voting thread, and advertising it on the fighting games weekly thread is useless since those tend to get huge and feel like 70% Marvel whenever I check them, with few deviations from Capcom in there - it really shows in the results.

A better use of that thread would be using the OP to find the OTs for other series and advertise there, they're easier to stay subscribed to since they don't change every week.

In fewer words, SNK was robbed.
SNK died so Vampire Savior could live.
No, it's the thread creator's problem for not advertising it enough. Or probably the Marvel thread's fault for advertising a patch that will never exist.
You make it sound like people didn't have other things distracting them weekly. If it isn't Mahvel it is OBS, dongles (what the fuck is this?) or collusion. Honestly, I can't make sense of fighting game talk outside of OTs.

Hell, apparently some people couldn't be arsed vote even when they knew the first thread existed lol. It's on users/posters.

ArjanN

I'm pretty sure the order would be mostly the same if you polled again with more people. I guess Skullgirls might be a little higher?

cj_iwakura

It's a solid list. I'm sad BB and SF Alpha didn't get more love, but am I surprised? Hardly. And I doubt the results would change much at all.

I'm pretty sure the order would be mostly the same if you polled again with more people. I guess Skullgirls might be a little higher?

There are lots of games tied within the top 10. If even one more of us saw this, it would have produced different results.

While the top 3 probably wouldn't change, the entirety of the list definitely would.

Top Bottom