• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Reeks

Nice list Reeks...a bunch on there I haven't seen yet. Thanks for the homework ;)

Also some of the immortal leeches section didn't have any ratings not sure if that was a typo or not

Thx! Yeah, it got late when I drew up that section. I'll edit..

Machinist over Jacobs Ladder? oh boy, I feel like the only person that didn't like that movie.

you're probably right about Jacob's Ladder... looking over the list, I already see things I'd change here and there. It's a place to start. I think I'll make a gdoc with better breakdowns..

Can someone recommend some good Vamp movies? I am not well versed

Aske

Saw Jug Face last night. Fantastic. It's currently on iTunes, but I'm sure it'll make its way to Netflix soon. Don't bother with the trailer; just watch it. It's not perfect, but it gets so much right it's a must-see for genre fans. Some truly stellar performances. Beautifully crafted film in almost every respect.

I also (finally) checked out the Evil Dead remake. There are some fun gore scenes, but I didn't think the movie brought enough to the table to justify its existence. I liked the set-up, appreciated the supporting cast; but of the two protagonists, only Mia was strong. David was shamefully weak by contrast, and that really hurt the film.

Also, the Deadites were far less creepy, and the tone of the film felt nebulous and undecided. I'd have liked it to be much darker, much creepier; more of an update to the spirit of the original than a retelling of its story.

It's not a bad film, and there are far worse ways to spend 90 mins, but it was definitely disappointing to me. Wasted potential.

Can someone recommend some good Vamp movies? I am not well versed

Top of my head, I think Near Dark is the best vampire flick I've seen. The Lost Boys is also essential. Haven't seen it in years, and I forget if it's technically 'good', but I have fond memories of Grace Jones in Vamp too. Gary Oldman makes Bram Stoker's Dracula worth a watch. I'm sure others will chime in with some of the great Hammer vampire movies - I've seen enough to remember some gems, but I glutted on them so long ago I forget the titles.

For action-horror, Blade 1 and 2, and From Dusk Til Dawn. And though the series is hit-and-miss, I was surprised to find myself enjoying the most recent Underworld flick, Underworld: Awakening, quite a bit.

strafer

I've seen some requests for good horror movies to watch. Below is a list of my personal favorites (still very much a work in progress). Yes, I'm an addict. (And sorry if this post is too long- I'm a newby.)

A = Mind blowing
B = Fuggin great
C = Solid
D = Liked it
*Not standard horror but contains elements thereof

The House:
The Skeleton Key A-
Don’t Go into the House B
Two on a Guillotine A-
The Beyond B-

Trippy Outty:
Suspiria A+
House of 1,000 Corpses A
Ichi the Killer A+
John Dies At the End A
Altered States B
*The Brothers Quay Shorts A+
*Pan’s Labyrinth B
*Drive A
*Eraserhead B

Inexplicable:
Imprint A-
Gozu B+
Don’t Look Now B
*Perfume A+
The Stuff C
The Substitute B-
Phenomena A-

“...A little funny in the head”:
Repulsion B-
*Black Swan B
Blue Velvet A-
Carrie og A-
*Mother B
Spiral B
Inside B-

Possession / Exorcism:
The Exorcism of Emily Rose B
The Devil Inside **
Insidious B
The Last Exorcism B
The Possession B
Amityville Horror II: The Possession A
The Possession B

Demon / Satan / Religious / Curse:
The Church A+
Drag me to Hell A
The Prophecy B-
Legend C-
House of the Devil A-
The Omen og A
Rosemary’s Baby A+
Evilspeak B

Ghost / Supernatural:
Kill, Baby, Kill A
8213: Gacy House C
The Innkeepers B
Paranormal Activity C
Blair Witch C
Ghost Ship C-
The Haunting remake B
The Others B
Ringu B-
13 Ghosts B-
The Mist B+
The Orphanage B-

Loops:
The Abandoned C+
Triangle B
1408 A-
Identity C+
*Irreversible A

Aquatic / Caves / Nature:
Leviathan D
The Descent A-
The Ruins A-
The Reef B+
The Bay B

Monster:
Splinter A-
The Host B
The Fly B
Cloverfield A-
The Monster Squad B
*Super 8 B

SciFi / Space:
*Moon A+
Pandorum B-
Dead Space: Animated Features B
Sphere C

Asylum / Hospital:
Gothica C-
Grave Encounters B
Bubba Hotep **
Beyond the Black Rainbow A+
Coma (2012) B-
*The Cell A-
Don’t Go in the Basement B

Good ol’ Slasher:
Hatchet B
Black Christmas C
Meatball Machine B
Tokyo Gore Police A-
Sick Nurses B+
Malevolence B-
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon B+
The Mooring C+

Torture / Captivity:
Salo A+
Funny Games A
The Vanishing og B+
Turistas B+
Wolf Creek A
Hard Candy B
Gone B-
Hostel (I-II) B/B
Misery A-
Martyrs A+
In a Glass Cage A-
A Serbian Film A

A Family Affair:
Devil’s Rejects A
Texas Chainsaw I/II A+/A-
Repo! The Genetic Opera A+
Hills Have Eyes B
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? B+
The People Under The Stairs C
Sheitan B+
Frotiere(s) B+
The Snowtown Murders C-

Psychopath among us:
American Psycho A-
High Tension A
Tenebre A
*Bubble B-
May B
Bloody Reunion B+**
Man Bites Dog B+
Audition A
One Hour Photo A-
*The Man from Nowhere B+

Demented Doctor:
The Human Centipede I / II A/B+
Splice D
Re-Animator B-
The Dentist D+
Aftermath (short) A

Zombie / Virus:
C.H.U.D. **
28 Days / Weeks Later A/A
Quarantine C+
[REC] A-
I am Legend B+
Cabin Fever B
Land of the Dead C
Dead Snow C
The Evil Dead remake B

Group effort (puzzle / event):
Cube A-
Saw C-
Battle Royale A+
Final Destination (First one) B-
Noriko’s Dinner Table B+

Courtroom / Detective / Cop:
Closetland A
Fallen B
Cape Fear A

Mean / Misunderstood Toys / Puppets:
Dead Silence A
Dolls C
Puppet Master B
Childs Play B+
Dolly Dearest C

Dream / Sleep / Altered:
Flatliners B+
Paprika A
*The Machinist A-
Insomnia B**
Jacob’s Ladder B
Altered States B+
The Serpent and the Rainbow B

A Sophisticated Taste for Flesh:
Three Extremes: Dumplings A
Teeth C
Hunger C+

Exploitation:
The Last House on the Left A
Cannibal Holocaust A+
Run! Bitch Run! C+
An American Crime B+

Voyeur:
Peeping Tom B+
Sisters B
*A Zed and Two Naughts A

Immortal Leeches:
Let the Right One in A
Dracula
Nosferatu
Grace B-
Shadow of a Vampire
The Lost Boys
Interview With the Vampire
Salems Lot
The Lords of Salem C+

Intentionally Omitted: Favs bound to be on any list:
Friday the 13th
Halloween
The Exorcist
The Shining
The Evil Dead og
Alien
Psycho
Silence of the Lambs
Nightmare on Elm Street
Jaws
The Birds
Cujo
Night of the Living Dead
etc.
etc.
etc.

I'm printing this sumbitch

Oh, it's in the community tab now.

Thinking of vampires, has anyone seen Livide?

I watched it as part of my October horror marathon last year. I quite enjoyed it. Here's the capsule write-up I did at the time.

q9NTL.jpg

#3 Livid (October 3)
Absolutely loaded with striking visuals, the narrative moves in a dreamlike fugue through a Hammer Horror stylized nightmare tableau. The first half is all about a slow gradual build-up and creakily traditional haunted house scares before all hell breaks out. While nowhere nearly a gore-drenched as Bustillo and Maury's debut Inside, it still packs quite a bloody punch. The story completely spirals out of control during the last act, leaving only the imagery to carry the day. A strong modern Gothic horror that I'll be revisiting again.

It's definitely not a traditional vampire movie, but the vampire element is definitely there.

Meesh

Just wanted to chime in with a shout out for "American Mary". Fantastic Canadian horror from the Soska sisters... Basically it's about a struggling (hot)med student who takes on surgical side jobs of the body mod flavor and winds up hack'n slashing her oppressors along the way. Pretty fraking good movie and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Aske

I watched it as part of my October horror marathon last year. I quite enjoyed it. Here's the capsule write-up I did at the time.

It's definitely not a traditional vampire movie, but the vampire element is definitely there.

That's right - I'd forgotten your post in that thread was where I first read about it. It looks and sounds superb.

I watched VHS 2 tonight. I didn't really care for the first one, but happy to say I'd recommend the sequel. Of the four stories on the tapes, I found the first hamstrung by poor ghost design, and the second appallingly weak in every respect. But the third was exceptionally good (albeit with a lousy final line), and I got a kick out of the fourth, too. I also enjoyed the package story for what it was. Hard to discuss the movie further without spoilers, but to those who liked the idea of the first one while feeling most of the various vignettes missed their mark, give the sequel a chance.

I watched Stoker last night, I guess it counts as horror. Story-wise it wasn't as complex as Park's Korean flicks (not surprising because he didn't have a writing credit on Stoker) but it definitely had the style you'd expect from one of his films. I really enjoyed it and while it wasn't nearly as extreme or as shocking as his previous films, it was one of the more suspenseful and tense movies I've seen in a while. Recommended.

And today I dug into the Evil Dead remake. I really enjoyed that too. I really didn't care for the majority of the music though. It was too in-your-face and the couple of attempts at jump scares near the start just fell flat for me. I'm undecided if I liked the ending or not as well.

It's kind of funny how they're still sticking to the "there's no Ash" character though. "David" fills exactly the same role. Dude goes to a cabin with his sister, girlfriend and friends? Check. Gets the shit kicked out of him for the entire movie? Check. Blue fuckin' shirt? Check. Ash didn't really become the Ash we all love until the sequel anyway, so aside from
him not making it to the end
and not having as strong of a personality, he's pretty much Evil Dead 1 Ash, but without The Chin's charm.

Loved the after the credits scene too. Can't wait to see where they go with the sequel.

FrsDvl

Hello, Horror Gaf. I just picked up the Evil Dead bluray and got a Digital Copy to give away to anyone who would want it.

It'll be a first come first served!

Reeks

Ahh I totally forgot about Livide. It was pretty solid and a little sad. The FX makeup was amazing. Updating list..

Hex

Banned
I guess there is a loose rumor that the Nightbreed Cabal Cut will finally be announced for a blu ray release at SDCC today, signs point to the Shout Factory panel in a couple of hours.
Will be quite cool to finally have it released.

Melchiah

I guess there is a loose rumor that the Nightbreed Cabal Cut will finally be announced for a blu ray release at SDCC today, signs point to the Shout Factory panel in a couple of hours.

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for it to be released.

There's a Shout Factory panel?

ABCs_sweat_MQ_zps065061f3.gif~original

What goodness shall they announce now? The anticipation is killing me!

Hex

Banned
Oh man, so close. I loves me some Shout.

I've never seen Nightbreed, either. Hopefully they do announce the Cabal Cut, I guess that's the way it should be seen?

It is almost an hour that was cut from the theatrical release.
The final cut I believe clocks in at 144 minutes and changes the entire theme of the movie and takes it to something else.
It did some rounds in a tour type thing to drum up support for a home release over the past few years at some horror cons and fim festivals.

It is almost an hour that was cut from the theatrical release.
The final cut I believe clocks in at 144 minutes and changes the entire theme of the movie and takes it to something else.
It did some rounds in a tour type thing to drum up support for a home release over the past few years at some horror cons and fim festivals.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll hold off viewing it until that comes out on BD then. Hopefully it will contain both cuts though, if it changes the entire theme of the movie. I like to watch both versions when something is so drastically changed.

Hex

Banned
It is official, Shout Factory/Scream Factory sealed the deal for the Cabal Cut of Nightbreed.

Scream Factory: It's going to take some time to restore NIGHTBREED: CABAL CUT, but they're working on it and releasing it!

Scream Factory is going to restore and release Clive Barker's NIGHTBREED: CABAL CUT on Blu-ray. Deal closed on that TODAY

Scream Factory releasing Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut really makes me happy. I wonder what they mean by restoring the film, though. I hope it means they're working with the vault materials and not the video master that's been making the convention circuit. If I remember correctly, all the cut material has been located. It's only a question of someone ponying up to pay for the work to be done. That said, I'll pretty much take what I can get.

Whatever artist Scream Factory gets to do the art will have a blast with Nightbreed. There's so many amazing looking creatures in the film, all of whom would make for an eye catching piece of art. I'm sure it'll look amazing. As for extras, Russell Cherrington, who edited the existing composite print, confirmed the following would appear on the eventual release:

Commentary with Russell, Mark Miller and Clive Barker
Documentary on the making of Cabal cut
Video introduction by Clive Barker
Frightfest interview with Russell Cherrington & Mark Miller
Trailers
"Some Fangoria footage"
Interviews with Croneberg, Neil Gaiman

These were all made before Scream Factory got involved, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that list increase.

J-Rock

Banned
Interesting. Curious to see how different this version will be. Damn, I'm tempted to do some Nightbreed art for fun. I really need to do some fan art for horror films in the next year. When I do, I'll post them here.

WorldStar

Banned
just finished watching Evil Dead (2013). Overall I liked it.
Damn did I feel bad for Eric (the dude in the glasses). Guy gets all sorts of fucked up. Stabbed with a broken mirror, stabbed with a syringe, shot with a nail gun, beaten with a crowbar, stabbed with a box opener, etc. Felt bad for that bro.

Longshot

Went to see The Conjuring late last night with my sister and her boyfriend, gotta say it was a great haunted house flick, no sex, no gore and hardly no nasty words, yet it got an R18+ rating in America (I'm Aussie).

James Wan has really outdone himself, I really can't fault it.

Hex

Banned
Damn did I feel bad for Eric (the dude in the glasses). Guy gets all sorts of fucked up. Stabbed with a broken mirror, stabbed with a syringe, shot with a nail gun, beaten with a crowbar, stabbed with a box opener, etc. Felt bad for that bro.

Had some serious issues with the movie, but not the usual "it wasn't the original" complaint that most throw out there without even giving it a chance.
Will give it a write up when I get a chance, trying to actually get a blog started, but will start with a tumblr until then because I suck at scripting.

WorldStar

Banned
Had some serious issues with the movie, but not the usual "it wasn't the original" complaint that most throw out there without even giving it a chance.
Will give it a write up when I get a chance, trying to actually get a blog started, but will start.

It had enough throwbacks to the originals to appease me.
Between seeing Ash's car all rusted in the background, the scene with the tree branches/vines, and the armless chainsaw scene, I thought it was sufficient in that respect.

strafer

Can't freaking wait. And new commentary.

For this very special release, Anchor Bay and Trancas International went back to the vaults to present this legendary terror classic as never before, including creating an all-new HD transfer personally supervised by the film’s original cinematographer, Academy-Award nominee Dean Cundey, a new audio mix (as well as the original mono audio), a brand-new feature length audio commentary by writer/director John Carpenter and star Jamie Lee Curtis, an all-new bonus feature with Ms. Curtis, as well as selected legacy bonus features from previous ABE releases. Available in a collectible limited-edition book-style package (available only for the first printing) with 11 pages of archival photos, an essay by Halloween historian Stef Hutchinson and specially commissioned cover art by Jay Shaw.

“Anchor Bay Entertainment has been home to Halloween for almost 20 years,” noted Malek Akkad, President of Trancas International Films and son of Moustapha Akkad. “I’m so happy that we’re partnering with them to present the definitive edition of what is widely acknowledged as one of the seminal horror films of the 20th century.”

Bonus features on Halloween 35th Anniversary Blu-ray include:

All-new commentary track with writer/director John Carpenter and star Jamie Lee Curtis;
“The Night She Came Home” new featurette with Jamie Lee Curtis (HD);
On Location;
Trailers;
TV & Radio Spots;
Additional Scenes from TV Version

MgSeTo8.jpg

I be fair, it pretty much was all his fault though.
Dude shouldn't have read the passage.

Can't freaking wait. And new commentary.

http://i.imgur.com/MgSeTo8.jpg

Hm. Love the cover art, but I'm not a fan of those book cases. I might wait a while for the first printing to sell out so I can get it in a normal case.

I watched Stoker last night, I guess it counts as horror. Story-wise it wasn't as complex as Park's Korean flicks (not surprising because he didn't have a writing credit on Stoker) but it definitely had the style you'd expect from one of his films. I really enjoyed it and while it wasn't nearly as extreme or as shocking as his previous films, it was one of the more suspenseful and tense movies I've seen in a while. Recommended.

My friend was in the movie for like 10 seconds haha. Still awesome though

Hex

Banned
Just want to bring this to people's attention if they have not heard of it :
Camp Crystal Lake Memories
It is a 7 hour long documentary on the history of Friday the 13th coming to blu/dvd combo and if preorder from the site you get an extra disc that won't be at Amazon and other places.

They also just announced that Never Sleep Again, the Nightmare on Elm Street Doc will finally be hitting Blu/dvd combo also

Yeah, he's like the only black kid(He's actually like 22 but yeah) in the movie hahaha.

go to the part where they are teasing her and she stabs dude with her pencil

Haha, I remember that guy. I remember thinking it was the first black person I saw too.

Haha, I remember that guy. I remember thinking it was the first black person I saw too.

I had to tease him about that. Thought it was too funny.

So can I have any recommendations for horror movies on Netflix? I've seen most of the well known stuff like Friday the 13th, Hellraiser, Child's Play etc etc. So just to make it easier recommend something a bit under the radar that I might have missed or something that isn't a huge movie

Aske

They also just announced that Never Sleep Again, the Nightmare on Elm Street Doc will finally be hitting Blu/dvd combo also

At last! Been waiting for that bit of good news forever.

Edit: Do you have a link to the announcement? Google isn't delivering anything but old posts about the German BD.

Hex

Banned
At last! Been waiting for that bit of good news forever.

Edit: Do you have a link to the announcement? Google isn't delivering anything but old posts about the German BD.

Yeah I will dig it up, it was from the twitter from the official feed.
They are "Crystal Lake Memories" right now because they are doing that one at the moment, but they are the same people but if you dig down their feed you will find it.

https://twitter.com/CrystalLakeMem is their twitter , july 23 is when the tweet was.

UPDATE: There will be a Blu and digital streaming in North Amer @DeyeMofo Any chance that Never Sleep Again will see a Blu-Ray release, too?

Aske

I love that they said "no plans" in response to that tweet two days ago, then announced their plans yesterday. Probably means it's a fairly recent decision, but I'll pre-order as soon as I can. Thanks for digging it up!

Hex

Banned
I love that they said "no plans" in response to that tweet two days ago, then announced their plans yesterday. Probably means it's a fairly recent decision, but I'll pre-order as soon as I can. Thanks for digging it up!

I think the response to the Crystal Lake Memories has surpassed what they expected on blu and pretty much paved the way luckily, like you I have been waiting since watching it

J-Rock

Banned
I cannot for the life of me find a scary movie. I thought Evil Dead 2013 was quite bad, not really scary.

I haven't found a movie scary since I was a kid. I still enjoy the genre though. I occasionally find something to be creepy though. Are you new to horror or have you seen pretty much everything? Do you have any phobias?

I haven't found a movie scary since I was a kid. I still enjoy the genre though. I occasionally find something to be creepy though. Are you new to horror or have you seen pretty much everything? Do you have any phobias?

I used to watch horror movies occasionally (most the popular ones). Last year I watched Insidious and I thought it was pretty good with some creepy moments and since then I have looking for a truly scary movie. I guess you could say I am pretty new. Phobias, not that I know of :)

Top Bottom