• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Beta Thread

raYne

Flyguy said:
Curses!

At least this means I wasn't going crazy. Spent five minutes in the theater screwing around wondering wtf was going on.

MMaRsu said:
No it wouldn't let me, we'll watch it tonight, just start a party up and invite me, I'll be playing till 12:30 PM ( which is 3 hours from now or something )
Yeah, I was watching some friend's vids yesterday, but when I signed on recently it seemed the whole thing was down, cause it wouldn't let me get any new vids. Even if they were from people I already watched them from the day before.

JdFoX187

Banned
RiskyChris said:
People want to talk to their teammates.
Well it must just be you guys. I play with a group which has been together since the beginning days of Halo 2. We have no problem talking and communicating. Hell, just through our communicating, we were able to come from four territories down in Valhalla and win the game in the final round. Perhaps you guys should quit complaining on here about pressing one damn button and go practice.

What's next? You don't want to pull the trigger to shoot? You just want to say "fire" and the gun shoots? What about moving? You just want to say "move left, go forward, go back?" God, the absurdity of some of these complaints is asstounding.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
The only thing kinda bugging me about Halo 3 is the FOV. It tends to decrease my ability to be aware of my surroundings.

epmode said:
Why should you even have to worry whether or not your teammate will actually hear you when you talk? That's not strategy, it's an unneccesary layer of irritation. I (and most everyone I've ever played Halo with,) simply press the talk button before saying ANYTHING, regardless of how close I am to anyone. I'm not sure if you know this, but pressing the button or not pressing it has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the other team hears what you're saying.

Which is why I asked him what the strategy in it is. But he just keeps saying its strategy.

JdFoX187 said:
What's next? You don't want to pull the trigger to shoot? You just want to say "fire" and the gun shoots? What about moving? You just want to say "move left, go forward, go back?" God, the absurdity of some of these complaints is asstounding.

This analogy is the only absurd thing I've read

JdFoX187

Banned
sableholic said:
Which is why I asked him what the strategy in it is. But he just keeps saying its strategy.
I explained. But in your ineptitude or desire to continue this assinine debate, you ignored what I said. If you talk normally, your teammates can hear you up close. The further they go out, the less they can hear you. Anybody also in that area can hear you talk. Or you can press a button, like a lot of actual soldiers do in real life to open a channel, and talk to them directly.

ElectricBlue187 said:
This analogy is the only absurd thing I've read

Take a look at the thread. You have people complaining about pressing a button on a video game. THAT is what is absurd.

JdFoX187 said:

Not the same thing. Pushing a button to open your mic is analogous to talking into your mic before your trigger can be used to shoot a gun.

epmode

JdFoX187 said:
Well it must just be you guys. I play with a group which has been together since the beginning days of Halo 2. We have no problem talking and communicating. Hell, just through our communicating, we were able to come from four territories down in Valhalla and win the game in the final round. Perhaps you guys should quit complaining on here about pressing one damn button and go practice.

I'm convinced you're trolling now. But because I'm an idiot:

What's wrong with activating team chat the same way every single other game on Xbox Live has done it since the dawn of time? Y'know, just talk and your team can hear you.

Mr Jared

Sullichin said:
It's good in Halo 2, but in 3 you can't even hear the other team if you're playing ranked games. So there's no point in hitting a button to talk.

If you want your team mates beyond 3 feet of you to hear what you're saying, there is a very good reason to push the button to talk.

StUnNeR H2K

Anyone complaining about using the D-pad to talk is a newb... Seriously... It's the same button you pressed in Halo 2 for teamchat, or did you not communicate with your team?

Quick Beta review:

Pros:

Same good ol gameplay
New weapons seem interesting
A lot of diff. options/ game types to choose from
Even more fast-paced than Halo 2

Cons:

Graphics simply aren't up to par. Maybe it's because I went from playing Gears to this but basically looks like Halo 2 in HD plus the game came out a year later than Gears. No reason why it shouldn't look at least better than Rainbow Six Vegas for christsake.

The voice micing is ***ing stupid. There is no strategy here it's just retarded that my team-mates can't hear me half the team. Proximity chat is probably the worst thing to happen to the Halo series.

The matchmaking system is great but it still could be more refined - same go for the servers.

And finally, the beta has pretty much become a pain in the ass to play. Half the time getting EXPIRED/BUYSHADOWRUN messages the other half - waiting in the matchmaking system for xbox live to update...

Wolffen

KachoMakura said:
Uhh, no. Some may notice it more than others but there's definitely aliasing going on. And it's not their tv.

Definitely a lack of AA, but I only really notice it in the distance. It seems worse on Valhalla to me than any other map. And if anyone wonders, I'm playing on a 50" SXRD A2000, component at 1080i (which the TV scales to 1080P). I do have the input tweaked a bit, but I did that for Oblivion and Gears. Haven't touched the setting in months.

Strangely, after the first few matches last Friday, I haven't noticed the AA (or lack thereof) since. Too busy trying not to get my ass kicked, I guess.

Y2Kev said:
Too much Valhalla, not enough High Ground today.

Funny, last night, I did three matches in a row on High Ground. I wonder if Bungie can force certain maps to show up more so they can get more data for that map as needed.

JdFoX187

Banned
epmode said:

What's wrong with activating team chat the same way every single other game on Xbox Live has done it since the dawn of time? Y'know, just talk and your team can hear you.
I'm trolling? I've been in this thread since the beginning. A couple people say "WAHHHHH! MY TEAMMATES CAN'T HEAR ME! I HAVE TO PUSH A BUTTON!" and I'm the one who's trolling?

That is, seriously, the most moronic excuse of a complaint I have ever heard in a game, especially considering it's been like this since Halo 2. Nobody complained about it then. In fact, it was heralded as innovative then.

DD-11

I agree that pushing a button to talk is needless. Voice activated communication works well in almost all other XBL games, why they chose to activate it with a button is beyond me. Especially on the D-pad, meaning one will have to stop moving to initiate a chat. Bad game design IMO.

Wolffen said:
Definitely a lack of AA, but I only really notice it in the distance. It seems worse on Valhalla to me than any other map. And if anyone wonders, I'm playing on a 50" SXRD A2000, component at 1080i (which the TV scales to 1080P). I do have the input tweaked a bit, but I did that for Oblivion and Gears. Haven't touched the setting in months.

Strangely, after the first few matches last Friday, I haven't noticed the AA (or lack thereof) since. Too busy trying not to get my ass kicked, I guess.

Valhalla is the only map where I really noticed much aliasing going on - otherwise I can notice some in the distance. On other maps.

epmode

StUnNeR H2K said:
Anyone complaining about using the D-pad to talk is a newb... Seriously... It's the same button you pressed in Halo 2 for teamchat, or did you not communicate with your team?
It was lame in Halo 2 as well.

JdFoX187 said:
I explained. But in your ineptitude or desire to continue this assinine debate, you ignored what I said. If you talk normally, your teammates can hear you up close. The further they go out, the less they can hear you. Anybody also in that area can hear you talk. Or you can press a button, like a lot of actual soldiers do in real life to open a channel, and talk to them directly.

Take a look at the thread. You have people complaining about pressing a button on a video game. THAT is what is absurd.

Do you think that the helmet the chief wears is for show? Let's say this was real life. Would the master chief press something to talk? Or would he open up private channels (ala the books)? And just so you know, in real life the military can open up private channels and not push a button to talk.

JdFoX187 said:
I'm trolling? I've been in this thread since the beginning. A couple people say "WAHHHHH! MY TEAMMATES CAN'T HEAR ME! I HAVE TO PUSH A BUTTON!" and I'm the one who's trolling?

That is, seriously, the most moronic excuse of a complaint I have ever heard in a game, especially considering it's been like this since Halo 2. Nobody complained about it then. In fact, it was heralded as innovative then.

Should we be forced to hold other buttons before we can do other actions?

"Gotta hold LB before you shoot man, otherwise your bullets won't go as far. It's strategy!"

JdFoX187

Banned
sableholic said:
Do you think that the helmet the chief wears is for show? Let's say this was real life. Would the master chief press something to talk? Or would he open up private channels (ala the books)? And just so you know, in real life the military can open up private channels and not push a button to talk.
They cue channels to talk. Sometimes they press buttons on their headsets, other times they don't. Either way, they cue channels. That's what you do by pressing a button. Nobody in a practical war environment has one cotinuous open radio channel.

Geoff9920

epmode said:

Not trolling, just a minor meltdown. Nothing to see here.

JdFoX187 said:

First off, people did complain back then. Second off, times change. Do you still have a 8track?

Flyguy

I don't understand why this is even debatable. Who can argue with giving those of us who want it, the option to have team chat always enabled? If you prefer removing your thumb from the thumstick to chat, or through some freak of evolution were graced with two thumbs on each hand, feel free not to enable this option.

epmode

JdFoX187 said:
They cue channels to talk. Sometimes they press buttons on their headsets, other times they don't. Either way, they cue channels. That's what you do by pressing a button. Nobody in a practical war environment has one cotinuous open radio channel.
I think we should have to flip the safety off on each gun we pick up, each with a slightly different button combination. For immersion's sake.

Oh, and make sure you pull the pin on each grenade before throwing.

JdFoX187

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Should we be forced to hold other buttons before we can do other actions?

"Gotta hold LB before you shoot man, otherwise your bullets won't go as far. It's strategy!"
And people say I'm stupid? You press and hold a button to fire, do you not? Idiots...

giga

Ya know, once you find a team who can really cooperate and communicate well, you really start to have fun and win matches.

JdFoX187

Banned
Flyguy said:
I don't understand why this is even debatable. Who can argue with giving those of us who want it, the option to have team chat always enabled? If you prefer removing your thumb from the thumstick to chat, or through some freak of evolution were graced with two thumbs on each hand, feel free not to enable this option.
I don't remove my thumb from the thumbstick, I simply slide it over while in combat and cue it up. It's not really that hard to do. It's just there's not really a lot to complain about in the Beta and people are finding the smallest things to complain about. There are other things like MM taking forever despite having more people. The fact that it causes the guide to lag a lot. The fact that there are times when matchmaking completely shuts down and says downloading files. No...we don't complain about that. We complain about the fact that you push a button on a video game.

goldenpp72

In halo 2 I used the white button to chat and it wasn't so bad, in halo 3, I dont like using up on the dpad and even worse it doesn't seem to always work correctly.

Xdrive05

Anyone seen any bugs yet?

I've seen a deployed bubble shield that didn't have the hexagon light-bending effect going around it, even though the particle pulses were still shooting out from it.

I've seem some weird rag doll deaths where the model would kind of bounce up for no reason, after it had already come to a stop.

RiskyChris said:
YES THAT'S WHY IT WORKS WELL

To speak you should just... speak! Why add a layer of abstraction!?

He acts like there is no alternative, like there is something special about the team chat in halo 2 versus the free communication in gears and others. Somehow its strategic to not be able to communicate without leaving yourself vulnerable for a moment. In real life the army would not stop moving to talk, plain and simple.

JdFoX187

Banned
RiskyChris said:
YES THAT'S WHY IT WORKS WELL

To speak you should just... speak! Why add a layer of abstraction!?
What point are you making? You are saying you hold a button to fire and that works well.

Speaking on Halo 3 you simply tap a button. It works fine. The only people complaining are a handful here who say it's impossible to communicate despite myself and others being in games where communication is not a problem. Now, that's either the game's fault, which would cause everybody to be complaining. Or, it's the people playing. I'm leaning toward the latter. I don't have problems communicating. It's not impossible or a pain in the ass to me. It simply is. I adapted to it and it works great.

Manager

DevelopmentArrested said:
Cons:
Graphics simply aren't up to par. Maybe it's because I went from playing Gears to this but basically looks like Halo 2 in HD plus the game came out a year later than Gears.

That doesn't make any sense. Gears of War was released six months ago. Just because a game WILL be released later on, it doesn't mean that it will look better now.

For christ sake, it's beta. Just because Fable 2 will be released two years after Oblivion, it doesn't mean it have to look better than Oblivion TODAY.

Mr Jared

Flyguy said:

Because a lot of you people are ungodly annoying and if I had to listen to someone who said EVERYTHING over team chat, you'd be on mute before the first kill even happened.

Listen kids.. you're already taking your thumb off a stick to go for the melee, unless you're weird and use green thumb.. and in that case you're still taking it off to zoom.

Taking your thumb off the stick for a split second to team chat is no different.

alkaline black said:
Because a lot of you people are ungodly annoying and if I had to listen to someone who said EVERYTHING over team chat, you'd be on mute before the first kill even happened.

Listen kids.. you're already taking your thumb off a stick to go for the melee, unless you're weird and use green thumb.. and in that case you're still taking it off to zoom.

Taking your thumb off the stick for a split second is no different.

I don't have to stop moving for melee, or any face button for that matter.

Flyguy

JdFoX187 said:
I don't remove my thumb from the thumbstick, I simply slide it over while in combat and cue it up. It's not really that hard to do. It's just there's not really a lot to complain about in the Beta and people are finding the smallest things to complain about. There are other things like MM taking forever despite having more people. The fact that it causes the guide to lag a lot. The fact that there are times when matchmaking completely shuts down and says downloading files. No...we don't complain about that. We complain about the fact that you push a button on a video game.

That's great that's it's not hard for you (despite saying earlier that it was a pain in the ass), but how does that invalidate my point of enabling persistent team chat for those that want it? And the point of the beta, beyond squashing bugs, is to recommend ways to make the finished product more enjoyable. I would enjoy myself more if I had the option.

giga

Wait hold on a sec. You have to touch the dpad to talk? I've been playing games and I've been talking without touching anything?

not sure if it's been mentioned, but what is the deal with the interminable flashing 'Retrieving files from Xbox Live...'?? been trying to get a game going (that is, been trying to get the 'START MATCHMAKING' button to light up) for close on forty minutes now with no luck.

epmode

giga said:
Wait hold on a sec. You have to touch the dpad to talk? I've been playing games and I've been talking without touching anything?
If you don't press the dpad, only the people in your immediate vicinity will be able to hear you.

Top Bottom