• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Polaris 11 (Baffin) GPU that could be powering the Xbox One S

Three

I'll happily eat crow when I see a game on the Neo with PS4 level graphics running native 3840*2160.

Depends on what you mean by "native" but onQ always mentioned uprendered. Which was again right when the PS4K papers leaked.

Caayn

Depends on what you mean by "native" but onQ always mentioned uprendered. Which was again right when the PS4K papers leaked.
Exactly what the word native means, render 3840*2160 pixels in each frame. So no upscaling, no checkerboard rendering, no reconstruction. I don't recognize the made-up term "uprender".

onQ123

Exactly what the word native means, render 3840*2160 pixels in each frame. So no upscaling, no checkerboard rendering, no reconstruction. I don't recognize the made-up term "uprender".

How is checkerboard rendering not included when your words were

I highly doubt that an upgraded PS4 will render games in 4K (not counting indies). Especially if Sony is going to sell it without a taking a loss on each unit. Reading your posts in this thread I can't shake the feeling that you're massively underestimating the power required to render games in 4K at playable framerates.

Checkerboard rendering is still rendering & I already said it might not be brute force native 4K but it will be 4K rendered

Your doubts don't change it from happening, which it will, it might not be brute force native 4K but the output will be 4K resolution not upscaled but rendered.

NastyBook

Guess I'm Red Herring now.

013.jpg
The single(only?) funniest running gag in that cartoon. Freddie wouldn't leave that dude alone for nothing.

Caayn

Checkerboard rendering is still rendering & I already said it might not be brute force native 4K but it will be 4K rendered
Exactly I said "render in 4K". Checkerboard rendering with a target resolution of 3840*2160 only renders at 2720*1530 (give or take) and uses reconstruction to create the final 3840*2160 image.

onQ123

Exactly I said "render in 4K". Checkerboard rendering with a target resolution of 3840*2160 only renders at 2720*1530 (give or take) and uses reconstruction to create the final 3840*2160 image.

Even ignoring this little loophole you tried to work your way though . Neo still has the power to render a game with PS4 visuals at 4K

Caayn

Even ignoring this little loophole you tried to work your way though . Neo still has the power to render a game with PS4 visuals at 4K
"Little loophole", if that's what makes you happy big guy sure.

As I said before in this very thread: I'll happily eat crow when I see a game on the Neo with PS4 level graphics running native 3840*2160.

When people mention 4k they mean native 4k so 3840x2160 pixels being generated not
reconstructed. Because if so then the x1 is also doing 1080p queue up the Aaron Greenberg tweet.

When people mention 4k they mean native 4k so 3840x2160 pixels being generated not
reconstructed. Because if so then the x1 is also doing 1080p queue up the Aaron Greenberg tweet.

It's always interesting watching our hard-and-fast "definitions" change; when it suits us, of course.

"People" dont think Neo can achieve native 4K and they dont think Scorpio can get the same thing done with 6TF using AMD GPU.

Well an overclocked 480 like the Asus ROG Strix is a 6TF part and of the games reviewed it could run DOOM, Total War, Hitman and Dirt Rally at 4K/30fps and thats at max or ultra quality. With more reasonable settings current gen games should run 4K native on Scorpio. A 4.2TF Neo...not so much.

krang

I guess anything is possible but actually I've been thinking that given neither Microsoft nor AMD have bragged about a new chip design or it being 14nm is damn odd. So odd for me that maybe it is 'just' a super refined 28nm current APU?

Probably because they don't want to deviate from the "XB1S is the same as XB1, Scorpio is the new console" story.

Gestault

Wait, I've followed the hardware assessments pretty closely. You're suggesting the Neo would be able to run standard PS4 games at...4K? I mean honestly, the base PS4 can't even run all titles at 1080p.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Do you need all alpha effects and shadows to be done at native res too? and any screen space reflections?

What is *native* res these days really?

Wait, I've followed the hardware assessments pretty closely. You're suggesting the Neo would be able to run standard PS4 games at...4K? I mean honestly, the base PS4 can't even run all titles at 1080p.

Sony have a patent which mentions "up rendering" it's some kind of technique which is supposed to be capable of rendering multimedia content at higher resolutions, I'm not really sure if this will tie directly into gaming and the PS4 Neo though.

"METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR USE IN UPRENDERING MULTIMEDIA CONTENT"
Link - http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0005344.html

onQ123

I'm suggesting that Neo could render a game like Madden or NBA2K that is 1080P 60fps on Xbox One & PS4 in 4K .

KageMaru

Sony have a patent which mentions "up rendering" it's some kind of technique which is supposed to be capable of rendering multimedia content at higher resolutions, I'm not really sure if this will tie directly into gaming and the PS4 Neo though.

"METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR USE IN UPRENDERING MULTIMEDIA CONTENT"
Link - http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0005344.html

Uprendering, checkerboard rendering, upscaling, etc. None of it is the same as rendering at a native resolution. I doubt many people consider Quantum Break to be a true 1080p game because the reconstruction technique used displays the game at 1080p.

I'm suggesting that Neo could render a game like Madden or NBA2K that is 1080P 60fps on Xbox One & PS4 in 4K .

Through an upscaling or reconstruction technique, which is not the same as natively rendering a game at 4K.

Am I the only one excited for the OS improvement. It seems with every update my X1 gets way more lag. Here's to the One S fixing this!

krang

Am I the only one excited for the OS improvement. It seems with every update my X1 gets way more lag. Here's to the One S fixing this!

I'm starting to think the OS lag is less to do with the console's performance and more to do with the network access it's constantly making.

ZoyosJD

onQ the great

LOL. Tooting your own horn again. The rx 400 series is required for HDR and anything higher that the 460 would supposedly be directly competing with the neo for release timeframe, power, and price.

If you took the rumor and gears commentary at face value it was the only real choice of GPUs that will be in mass production by that timeframe. No need to post 10 pages of slides.

onQ123

LOL. Tooting your own horn again. The rx 400 series is required for HDR and anything higher that the 460 would supposedly be directly competing with the neo for release timeframe, power, and price.

If you took the rumor and gears commentary at face value it was the only real choice of GPUs that will be in mass production by that timeframe. No need to post 10 pages of slides.

Check the date of my post it was before Xbox OneS was even announced

onQ123
(03-25-2016, 08:25 PM)

In this specific example, it's hard to know. Sports games are often the ones pushing the envelope the least, given that they often play across a range of platforms and generations, so it's at least possible that they may be able to use the extra power to get to 4k.

Other games, almost certainly not native 4k.

That said, I do think Sony's 4k upscaling technique does sound interesting, and isn't just a standard upscale (And something I look forward to seeing in practice). BUT, defining 4k as actual 4k rendering is important. There needs to be a standard when people say 4k.

onQ123

Come on man... Here's a counterpoint - who cares? Why do you even care?

onQ123

In this specific example, it's hard to know. Sports games are often the ones pushing the envelope the least, given that they often play across a range of platforms and generations, so it's at least possible that they may be able to use the extra power to get to 4k.

Other games, almost certainly not native 4k.

That said, I do think Sony's 4k upscaling technique does sound interesting, and isn't just a standard upscale (And something I look forward to seeing in practice). BUT, defining 4k as actual 4k rendering is important. There needs to be a standard when people say 4k.

Come on man... Here's a counterpoint - who cares? Why do you even care?

It's not upscaling

ZoyosJD

onQ123

Remove "gears commentary" and the same thing applies. It would still be the cheapest 400 series card in production for the timeframe and matching rumors.

onQ123

Remove "gears commentary" and the same thing applies. It would still be the cheapest 400 series card in production for the timeframe and matching rumors.

Matching what rumors? when I made that post no information was out about what would be inside of Xbox OneS .

KageMaru

It's not upscaling

Yes it is. Sony even uses the term "scaling" in the Neo slides. It doesn't matter if you call it uprendering, reconstructing, or checkerboard rendering. It's not the native resolution, which is what many people go by when referring to a resolution. You are using a technique to scale a lower resolution to better match a higher resolution.

onQ123

Yes it is. Sony even uses the term "scaling" in the Neo slides. It doesn't matter if you call it uprendering, reconstructing, or checkerboard rendering. It's not the native resolution, which is what many people go by when referring to a resolution. You are using a technique to scale a lower resolution to better match a higher resolution.

That's for the games that have a final buffer resolution lower than 3840 x 2160

At this point this GIF sums it up. Checker board rendering is using frame buffers lower than 4K to piece together a 4K image. That's a form of upscaling no matter how you slice it. Even if it's only certain components of the frame being reconstructed. I'm glad they aren't using straight pixel multipliers, but it's still the same concept.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If the S is as quiet and cool as the fat despite the size and internal power supply, then it will be a legendary feat of engineering.

leeh

Do you need all alpha effects and shadows to be done at native res too? and any screen space reflections?

What is *native* res these days really?

Not up-rendering/up-scaling/checkerbox rendering or whatever the hell it's being tagged with. I think we can agree on that.

By this logic, Quantum Break is 1080p.

Like the games will look stunning, but we can all agree it's not native 4K.

Top Bottom