• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Account Hacked for... FIFA '12 Gold Packs?

Kyoufu

Wait, update: Friend says his passwords for the EA account and XBL account are not the same.

Is it still EA's fault?

Kikarian

Aptos said:
I'm going to be so pissed if I have to wait for 25 business days for this to get resolved and they don't refund my points.
If this happened to me and they didn't restore my points, rage mode = on!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Muchi Muchi Pink said:
So, you just forgot the big psn hack, where sony didn't tell anybody for more than 2 weeks, right?

Yes, but 2 weeks isn't exactly a long time when you are dealing with a breach of such manitude (unfortunately). Some companies take MONTHS to tell people, while many others NEVER tell people. 2 weeks is actually not that bad, all things considered. Of course we all want notification the instant a company knows about it, and Sony would notify faster next time (it did), but I'll take 2 weeks over never.

Tomasooie said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah, because MS PR always reveals all...they would never try to hide a huge problem currently affecting an increasing number of users. Look at your damn tag. What is wrong with you?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...1#comments-bar

The community manager at Activision had his account hacked, as well as others in the industry. Element here on GAF, who used to work for Microsoft, had his account hacked with no idea how it happened.

In fact, a lot of the victims have said that they practice safe computer security (complex passwords, never opening untrusted sites/emails). Some have even said that they've never even used their Windows Live ID on anything other than the Xbox itself.

It is NOT phishing. There's definitely something different about this series of hacks. I'm guessing account details were hacked and leaked/sold. I don't think it has much to do with FIFA or EA. That must just be an endpoint that has spread amongst the account thieves because of how easy it is to just sell the FIFA content for real money on eBay (or other sites).

I would just ignore him if I were you, he's been spamming every single thread related to these Xbox Live account hacks, trying to spread this bullshit about EA games making everyone suddenly get hacked and stolen.

He doesn't understand that the reason FIFA causes this hacks is because you can easily get real money for MSP because FIFA players demand it a pay real money for cheaper MSP.

His tag should make things clear too.

Kyoufu said:
Wait, update: Friend says his passwords for the EA account and XBL account are not the same.

Is it still EA's fault?

I sure believe him.

Surprising how he can remember seeing as he haan't turned on or used his console for months.

Tomasooie

My account was stolen a few days ago and my passwords are all unique, I never go on shady sites or click links on suspicious emails.

Kyoufu

Speedymanic said:
I sure believe him.

Surprising how he can remember seeing as he haan't turned on or used his console for months.

He remembers changing his Live password when he couldn't remember it after not logging on for so long before.

Either way, MS needs to start talking.

Tomasooie

Speedymanic said:
I sure believe him.

Jeez you're out to get people.

He said it was an update, the friend probably checked.

Risk Breaker said:
I would just ignore him if I were you, he's been spamming every single thread related to these Xbox Live account hacks, trying to spread this bullshit about EA games making everyone suddenly get hacked and stolen.

He doesn't understand that the reason FIFA causes this hacks is because you can easily get real money for MSP because FIFA players demand it a pay real money for cheaper MSP.

I'm sorry, what? Of course I understand why FIFA is being targeted. To claim I don't is just silly. The claim I'm making is that ea at fault, not ms. Learn to read.

Futureman

Speedymanic said:
The claim I'm making is that ea at fault, not ms. Learn to read.

I thought your claim was that we don't know enough, so we shouldn't blindly blame MS?

Your claim is now that it's "EA's fault, not MS, PERIOD" ???

test_account

XP-39C²
Muchi Muchi Pink said:
So, you just forgot the big psn hack, where sony didn't tell anybody for more than 2 weeks, right?
It didnt take 2 weeks before they told about the hack, if that is what you mean? PSN went down April 20th. On April 22th, Sony said that there had been an external intrusion into their system. On April 26th they said that accounts and all that might have been compromised. So it took about 2 days before they mentioned about the hack itself and less than a week before they told what the hackers might have had access to.

Tomasooie

Speedymanic said:
I'm sorry, what? Of course I understand why FIFA is being targeted. To claim I don't is just silly. The claim I'm making is that ea at fault, not ms. Learn to read.
Then explain this.

Speedymanic said:
Why are you dismissing the most obvious clue? How aren't EA or FIFA to blame? What are people buying with their illegally accessed accounts? Did you even read the comments on that site? Do you not see how easy it is for someone to engineer EA live to access others details?

Your willingness to let EA off the hook is baffling.
It's not "the most obvious clue". Like I've said twice before already: ONCE THE THIEF HAS THE ACCOUNT HE CAN BUY ANYTHING. He's not obligated to spend all his hard-earned stolen money on FIFA. The sole reason for it is because it's quick and easy to transfer the content (by trading in-game) between accounts, and then to sell them for real money, all without much chance of being apprehended.

That's the only reason FIFA is chosen. It's not a damn clue.

Futureman said:
I thought your claim was that we don't know enough, so we shouldn't blindly blame MS?

Your claim is now that it's "EA's fault, not MS, PERIOD" ???

Evidence points to ea. I've said that from the beginning. (almost)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I removed my credit card from my account last week when it seemed these threads were steadily becoming more frequent. It would be a no-brainer for everyone else to do the same if it wasn't for the fact that actually removing your card is no easy feat without first disabling auto-renewal for Gold... which is also a headache in and of itself.

Great system.

sangreal

test_account said:
That is a bit different. This is about if hashed and un-salted passwords are protected from reverse engineering.

No, you're missing my point. While it is true that we were discussing in that thread a leaked database of hashed passwords, my point is about the user's anecdote that his password was not simple. To the point that it couldn't even be brute forced. It was, in fact, very simple. So people saying they have a really secure password and that they don't use it anywhere else falls flat to me.

Speedymanic said:

Read my first sentence yourself.

And Tomasooie has already explained himself again.

The hacking for me happened when I was playing NHL12 online a lot.

These waves of account hijacks should cause more fuss than they do right now imo. Been more than a month and MS still hasn't returned my account yet :(.

epmode

Speedymanic said:
And in every thread, you along with cgcg tend to point the finger at MS and only MS.
Go back and look. I hope both companies get hit by a truck. The same goes for most major videogame publishers and console manufacturers, BTW.

Blind devotion to a company that couldn't care less about you gets me a little crazy is all.

Tomasooie said:
Then explain this.

It's not "the most obvious clue". Like I've said twice before already: ONCE THE THIEF HAS THE ACCOUNT HE CAN BUY ANYTHING. He's not obligated to spend all his hard-earned stolen money on FIFA. The sole reason for it is because it's quick and easy to transfer the content (by trading in-game) between accounts, and then to sell them for real money, all without much chance of being apprehended.

That's the only reason FIFA is chosen. It's not a damn clue.

Semantics. EA/FIFA, its all the same. The point stop stands, evidence points to EA.

Speedymanic said:
Evidence points to ea. I've said that from the beginning. (almost)
:lol nice tag

I don't think there's any actual evidence pointing to anyone, really. There has been literally no pattern established, and nobody's even come close to finding one. EA are only to "blame" because they released a piece of shit exploitable game and they're happy to sit back and watch it be exploited. They really need to just turn it off until they can work out how to stop people having their money stolen. It must be way too lucrative, though, if there's a market for the coins on eBay there must be an awful high number of morons willing to pay for this stuff.

test_account

XP-39C²
sangreal said:
No, you're missing my point. While it is true that we were discussing in that thread a leaked database of hashed passwords, my point is about the user's anecdote that his password was not simple. To the point that it couldn't even be brute forced. It was, in fact, very simple. So people saying they have a really secure password and that they don't use it anywhere else falls flat to me.
That is true, if it is only about saying that the password is secure/advance, but that the password was used multiply places, then i agree. But in this case with XBL, i'm pretty sure people have said that they used an advanced password and only used the password on XBL. Then the hashed password stuff wouldnt be the case right there, unless someone hacked the XBL database.

Tomasooie

Speedymanic said:
Semantics. EA/FIFA, its all the same. The point stop stands, evidence points to EA.
Jesus H. Christ, you're impossible. Do you even know the meaning of "semantics"? You're just backpedaling. You claimed FIFA, as a clue, put the blame on EA.

First of all, they're not the same thing. Secondly, I disproved your claim, so what evidence are you talking about? It's not FIFA, so link us to what you mean.

Kyoufu said:
This can't be EA related, since my friend changed his password over a month ago

http://i.imgur.com/psisu.jpg

I hate EA more than anyone but I fail to see how this is their fault. *shrug*

This started well over a month ago. If he changed his password since then what does that matter? They already have his old password. The relevant question is did he change his xbl password recently?

I hope this doesn't effect xbox live WP7 users. I just deleted all my credit cards from my xbox live account in case.

Seriously, more attention needs to be shined on this issue.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't feed the troll.

Kyoufu

BigNastyCurve said:
This started well over a month ago. If he changed his password since then what does that matter? They already have his old password. The relevant question is did he change his xbl password recently?

His password for XBL changed around the time of Gears 3 beta.

Tomasooie

Risk Breaker said:

neutralgamer02 said:
Edit: Also, I wouldn't feed the troll.
Yeah, I'm done with that. Whatever. It's astounding that someone can be so dense.

Anyway, anyone with a Windows Live ID should change their password. Don't just remove debit/credit cards.

inky said:
More like Sony got breached, Microsoft didn't.

Sony didn't get breached last time, they simply notified people were trying to access accounts using data obtained from other places.

Microsoft didn't as well, but obviously something is very wrong and they're basically going "Not my problem!"

Tomasooie said:
Jesus H. Christ, you're impossible. Do you even know the meaning of "semantics"? You're just backpedaling. You claimed FIFA, as a clue, put the blame on EA.

First of all, they're not the same thing. Secondly, I disproved your claim, so what evidence are you talking about? It's not FIFA, so link us to what you mean.

Do you? You're getting too caught up on a single claim and not looking at it as a whole . EA are to blame, FIFA is also to blame as they haven't taken steps to make sure this doesn't happen. You've disproved nothing, you've focussed on one part of my entire post in some vain attempt to be 'right'.

Troll? How utterly ridiculous.

Tomasooie

Speedymanic said:
Do you? You're getting too caught up on a single claim and not looking at it as a whole . EA are to blame, FIFA is also to blame as they haven't taken steps to make sure this doesn't happen. You've disproved nothing, you've focussed on one part of my entire post in some vain attempt to be 'right'.

Troll? How utterly ridiculous.
FIFA is the endpoint, not the means. We have absolutely no insight as to what's causing this.

Since this is occurring on EA's game, they should definitely do something about it, but that doesn't mean they're to blame. The thieves are stealing accounts -- then they go to FIFA.

And tell me, what part of your post have I ignored? You claim to have evidence but say nothing.

I'm done after this, I swear (unless he gives an actual response, instead of just bullshit).

Kikarian

Kyoufu said:
His password for XBL changed around the time of Gears 3 beta.
Someone could of got his password before change. Then when it was changed either they entered something similar or bruteforced.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Sixfortyfive said:
I removed my credit card from my account last week when it seemed these threads were steadily becoming more frequent. It would be a no-brainer for everyone else to do the same if it wasn't for the fact that actually removing your card is no easy feat without first disabling auto-renewal for Gold... which is also a headache in and of itself.

Great system.
Yea, it's all a load of shit. Robbing us of the ability to turn off auto-renew from the site was a step in the wrong direction and I hope it bites them in the ass somehow.

U2NUMB

Good Lord.. just spent 40 min online with Xbox Support. Finally got them to cancel Auto Renew. I have a year left on my gold account.. but was told that IF they cancelled the auto renew that my 9 year account (indicated by a number on your profile) would revert to 0 and they would refund my last year to me via a code which I could enter. Pretty much saying they would cancel my account then email me what I had left.

I of course told them this is crazy.. he went and confirmed that they could turn off Auto renew with no issues BUT that the credit card HAS to stay there.

So next stop will be to my bank to get a new card. I am going all point cards and membership cards from here on out.

Amazing what a pain in the ass this is.

Ardenyal

Tomasooie said:
Since this is occurring on EA's game, they should definitely do something about it
EA added a daily limit on how many packs you can open.

But if login info has leaked through an EA site then why hasn't MS responded in any way. Forcing password change would stop the "hacks" right then and there if it's a problem with passwords being same on EA accounts as XBL accounts.

Tomasooie

Ardenyal said:
EA added a daily limit on how many packs you can open.

But if login info has leaked through an EA site then why hasn't MS responded in any way. Forcing password change would stop the "hacks" right then and there if it's a problem with passwords being same on EA accounts as XBL accounts.
Well it's good that they've done something, but it still didn't stop the guy who got my account a few days ago from doing this:

20a2rgy.png

And my Live ID password isn't the same as my EA password. It's completely unique.

R-Type was me on xbox.com, by the way. I bought it while the thief was draining my points with my account recovered to his Xbox.

U2NUMB

Tomasooie said:
Well it's good that they've done something, but it still didn't stop the guy who got my account a few days ago from doing this:

20a2rgy.png

And my Live ID password isn't the same as my EA password. It's completely unique.

Yea why on earth would their system not stop and verify a couple things after like the 5th one bought.

Is it Steam that has a system where you can verify via text message? Something like that needs to be added.

So I just found out that my account was hacked a few hours ago. Over 4,000 points spent on Fifa shit and now Fifa is on my played games list with two achievements. Not very happy about that. I'm recovering my account on my 360 right now. I'm really not looking forward to dealing with Xbox support and (and what sounds like) the investigation that locks you out of your account. Hopefully I can get all my Microsoft Points back, fucking Fifa off of my played games list and some sort of compensation swiftly.

And now it seems like my account won't recover...

Majukun

Rapstah said:
Is the reason that these hacks always involve FIFA that that's a way of indirectly gifting points between unrelated accounts?
no,i think it's because that mode it's crazy popular here in europe and if you manage to get good players or tons of "in-game credits" you can sell them for real money

Tomasooie

Garcia el Gringo said:
So I just found out that my account was hacked a few hours ago. Over 4,000 points spent on Fifa shit and now Fifa is on my played games list with two achievements. Not very happy about that. I'm recovering my account on my 360 right now. I'm really not looking forward to dealing with Xbox support and (and what sounds like) the investigation that locks you out of your account. Hopefully I can get all my Microsoft Points back, fucking Fifa off of my played games list and some sort of compensation swiftly.

And now it seems like my account won't recover...
Exactly what happened to me, except I caught it as it happened. Try requesting a password reset email, change your password, then recover your account with the new password.

If the thief is on an Xbox with the account, only recovering it to another Xbox will boot him off.

If he's changed your details and you can't reset the password, call support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX (if you're in the US). You should call support either way.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to get FIFA off our played games lists. You'll get your Microsoft Points back.

If my account gets hacked I'll be highly suspicious of MS's security. I just recently set it to a new, extremely lengthy and complex password, one that I don't use for anything else.

Over to you, MS.

U2NUMB said:
I of course told them this is crazy.. he went and confirmed that they could turn off Auto renew with no issues BUT that the credit card HAS to stay there.

I have a card on file with them but I have turned auto-renew off and only use point cards now.

My credit card expires next year. In some old thread ppl were saying that even if you get a new card they can successfully charge the old one they have on file even though it has expired/cancelled etc.

In the same thread it mentioned that if you have turned auto-renew off whilst in your gold subscription and you add more gold with a code-card it turns auto-renew on again without your permission.

Top Bottom