• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow 6 Patriots (Video)

zeioIIDX

Doomrider said:
"press X to Jason" prompts
OMG, still laughing at this :) That target footage was pretty intense though, I really loved Rainbow Six on the N64 and only dabbled in the first Vegas but this looks interesting for sure.

lockload

Hopefully they dont make the game 'accessible' and dumb it down

Really enjoyed the previous games so fingers crossed!

This is Ubisoft were talking about. So I wouldn't bet on this game coming out before 2015.

Hopefully its a next gen launch title

Totobeni said:
Clicked on that link but I think I saw COD Black Ops 2 video ( I am not good with internet) nice to see Treyarch doing it as TPS this time tho.

but hmmm where is the Rainbow Six video?

What you watched was the Rainbow Six video, not Black Ops 2.

Ryan_IGN

From a business/franchise management perspective, I find Ubisoft's handling of their big Clancy franchises puzzling this generation. They've been able to get away with it largely because of the success of Assassin's Creed, but the fact that it will have been a full FIVE years between Ghost Recons and Rainbow Sixes -- after it took four years for a new Splinter Cell -- is baffling to me. As a gamer, better this than pooping out a same-y sequel every 12 months, IMO, but damn...

Also, from the video: whose wife answers the door dressed like that???

Xater

lockload said:

I just hope this is a joke. Rainbow 6 has been further dumbed down every iteration since it hit consoles on a big way with Rainbow Six 3. This game will most likely be just another shooter.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
3: Raven Shield wasn't so bad, it lacked polish and some things, but it was alright... The consoles had "lockdown" at the time which was not an exact port, I think.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ryan_OXM said:
Also, from the video: whose wife answers the door dressed like that???
The wife of a capitalist-pig forcloser, that's who. #occupythexbutton

Alextended said:
But come on, it's so awesomely tense/controversial! Forced suicide bomber takedown! He has a wife! It's so sad! I really do want to see his life flash through his eyes when I fucking OWN him, he's such an interesting character! How can you NOT be excited?! There are cut scenes for everything! You get to snipe cops if it seems like a good idea!

What do you mean I should just go watch 24 instead..?
Thank God I wasn't eating when I read that hahaha.

In a gameplay target we saw the "player" shooting at police officers and sacrificing a civilian.

This could be the beginning of something beatiful.

Rainbow Six 3 was the last good RS game.

Matching that target footage will be pretty difficult to replicate in actual gameplay, unless the whole thing ends up being a script-a-thon, which is likely to be the case.

buhdeh

What the hell is the point of the first scene if the only button you can press is square? Why not just make it a cutscene instead? This is like Battlefield 3 level QTEs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
buhdeh said:
What the hell is the point of the first scene if the only button you can press is square? Why not just make it a cutscene instead? This is like Battlefield 3 level QTEs.
Illusion of interactivity.

buhdeh said:
Some cheap way to claim that their game is full of immersion.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ii Stryker said:
This is Ubisoft were talking about. So I wouldn't bet on this game coming out before 2015.

Hopefully its a next gen launch title

At this point I see no reason to focus on this current gen when they are shooting for 2013 without any delays. Give me an early gen game ala GRAW for the 360, and I'd be much happier than if we get a late current gen game.

That looked terrible. I was hoping they would focus on tactical gameplay, planning, and execution rather than scripted events with QTEs. It's just not Rainbow Six anymore.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Alextended said:
But come on, it's so awesomely tense/controversial! Forced suicide bomber takedown! He has a wife! It's so sad! I really do want to see his life flash through his eyes when I fucking OWN him, he's such an interesting character! How can you NOT be excited?! There are cut scenes for everything! You get to snipe cops if it seems like a good idea!

Exactly, this is garbage.

Cheap forced empathy that just comes off as being corny as hell for shock value.

People eat this type of shit up though, so whatever makes the money.

Derrick01

Banned
Whether that was gameplay or just concept stuff I definitely did not like what I saw.

- Press X to Jason is right. Literally a button prompt for every action, as if people weren't mindless enough today.

- X ray vision. Yeah instead of looking over cover yourself let's just tell you where everything is.

- Icons over heads. They had skulls to let you know where the enemies were so you don't shoot civilians instead.

Completely fucking dumbed down and made for the new age gamer. They have a LOT of work to do if that was real footage.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ChuckNoLuck said:

I hope the final product is a little less intense.
I hope the final product is just as intense, and equally as depressing.

lockload said:

Hahaha, R6 has been dumbed down immensely with every sequel. Don't expect anything deep.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Bungieware said:
Genuine question to the people who think this looks amazing: have you played Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield?

Yes. Hell, I was in one of the top ranked clans for competitive play in the original Rainbow Six. Games change. Franchises change. I'd love something like the original R6 again (still the best), but I'm not going to thumb my nose because a different game that's also cool comes along.

I enjoyed previous Splinter Cell games, and thought Conviction was fantastic. Shock and awe!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I started watching this but WTF, is this an FPS rebooted in Heavy Rain style?!

obonicus

I don't know, I think it's about time one of these games goes full-on fascist. And why not have Rainbow Six lead the trend? They essentially started the whole super-serious ultra spec-ops thing.

Enosh

Vilam said:
Yes. Hell, I was in one of the top ranked clans for competitive play in the original Rainbow Six. Games change. Franchises change. I'd love something like the original R6 again (still the best), but I'm not going to thumb my nose because a different game that's also cool comes along.

I enjoyed previous Splinter Cell games, and thought Conviction was fantastic. Shock and awe!
completely agree
enjoying one type of game in no way prevents me from enjoying another type

and I don't get the hate for QTE, there are cutscenes either way, having you press some buttons doesn't make it any worse imo and there is no way to actually "play" that scene and still have it come out the same away
except doing the bullshit half life does and letting you run around the house while the wife talks

What is going on. Why can't we have games like we liked it back then? Rainbow six old school was all about planning your assault, choosing the rights team mates for the job with a kick ass scenario for the campaign.

R6 was at its peak with Rogue Spear, it went the console FPS clones right after that.

Pity.

The video I watched was entertaining, but from R6 it does only have the label, nothing else.

Derrick01

Banned
Vilam said:

I'm just having a hard time understanding how people think this looks great. Was it the part where it tells you what and how to do everything?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well, that looked really good, at least story-wise. I have seen much, much worse thrillers.

Interested in this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
StalkerUKCG said:
Target Footage was great, 2013 is the rumoured next xbox launch. wonder if its going to be a launch title.

That would make my day. Seriously. Ghost Recon and Rainbow six are by far my favorite franchises. I played Ghost Recon almost exclusively when live launched.

lockload said:

Well, showing enemies thorugh xray vision or something like that is allready dumbing it down.

DO NOT DO that Ubisoft. Please. What ssems to be a good idea in ONE game does NOT have to be a good idea in another game.

"Creative director David Sears unveils a prototype of the revamped tactical series in the video below."

The SOCOM II designer. That could be interesting.

Top Bottom