• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

The Hermit

Sheeps in the night. The sheeps in the Hateno village farm are normally scatered but in the late hours of the night will gather below trees. Anyone with farm experience is familiar with this behavior.

Whoa

I am about to leave Zelda for a while to play MK8D but I found something worth mentioning

Make sure you do all KASS songs because the last one is a really nice insight about Princess Zelda

The Song Spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbvUfHlG8uA

I really think they should have made it clearer that it was
Her Love for him that finally released her power
using more hints and cutscenes not hidden in one KASS song

Just, wow! This is one of the most brilliant use of the Solfege system I've ever seen!

A music scale referencing the fish people in Zora (with scales). Wonder if scale=scale works in any other language than English?

I can confirm in Spanish... it doesn't work, even if it's relatively similar ("escala musical" vs "escama de pez"). :)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
  • Hyrule Dark Themes. Some things that give the game an unexpecxted dark tone: A fire Wizrobe happily circling around the rests of a burned house. Evesdropping on Amira and Nikki in Hateno and learning about their pedophila asumptions. The tale about the missing childhood friends from the old man at one of the stables. The sad story of Coco's mom in kakariko.

Isn't the tale about the missing friends from the old man talking about horses?

Also the heck at bolded. They aren't talking about pedophilia. They're talking about Purah maybe adopting, not realizing that the girl is Purah.

The walking guardians can't walk past/through horses, nor will they target a horse without a rider, so you can just park your horse between one and Link and leave, and it'll get stuck.

Female Gerudo Disguise. The positive check for the disguise only involves the mask and the top. So one can, for example, equip the Sand Boots with the outfit and Link's cover won't be blown.

The Sand Boots & Thunder Helm seem to flagged as 'female', but I don't think it works with other items.

Golnei

The second I put the thunder helmet on while still wearing the rest of the gerudo garb, I was kicked out.

That's odd, I distinctly remember being able to walk around the city with it on - some of the guards even have dialogue about how jealous they are, or questioning if it's a replica.

TheMoon

I read every post in this thread and I don't remember the Cucos laying eggs when startled, or the Lynel stare-down, just two from the top of my head. Not saying I couldn't have forgotten reading them here, that's possible.

I guess so. I don't consider the Lynel stare thing to qualify anyway. That's just something you notice. The egg thing I may have seen in another thread then? I believe there was egg talk here recently, though.

That's odd, I distinctly remember being able to walk around the city with it on - some of the guards even have dialogue about how jealous they are, or questioning if it's a replica.

I'll try it again later. Maybe it was because I put it on in the throne room. Or I may have mixed that up when I tried changing clothes after beating the beast, testing to see if that somehow made it okay for me to be there since they were so explicitly thankful.

Riju will fawn over her sand stuffed seals once she thinks you arent looking

18076688_1478818832191781_1726840781209480272_o.jpg

That is adorable. I love this game.

Does the
13th memory
leave the slightest doubt?

That's what I was thinking - do you have that one?
It's unlocked after getting the original 12 memories and going to Impa.

yeah I guess been a while since I watched that one, watching it now... still a bit vague to me

also went and fought Ganon again

C-kjxYnUIAAb8RI.jpg

yeah right, Zelda is so OP in this game

C-kjhdKUQAAG1ed.jpg

but this is now my favorite Zelda, Skyward Sword is second.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Heh, while Im sure some of you know this I just found this out today when talking to paya. The whereabouts of her birthmark are eventually revealed.

18192668_1480825855324412_3952396881010501851_o.jpg

18192649_1480826121991052_7526652626876731569_o.jpg

Grahamsprodigy

Neo Member
Inside of Hyrule Castle, The Master Sword has double the attack power, and never loses energy, making the castle one of the best places in the game to farm monster parts for equipment upgrades.

There is a cave on the northern side of the castle that leads to the dock area. Progressing upstairs you can find an armory with some of the most powerful weapons in the game. It's a great place to visit if you haven't got the 13 hearts needed to earn the master sword.

And on that note, when entering the lost woods, notice the direction that the embers from your torch are falling off, that tells you which way to go. The wind changes direction sometimes, but as long as it is blowing at your back you'll avoid being consumed by fog.

jotun?

Inside of Hyrule Castle, The Master Sword has double the attack power, and never loses energy, making the castle one of the best places in the game to farm monster parts for equipment upgrades.
It does that near any of the non-scout guardians too. Not sure if the castle is a special case or if it just happens to have full coverage by all the guardian turrets

GoldStarz

It does that near any of the non-scout guardians too. Not sure if the castle is a special case or if it just happens to have full coverage by all the guardian turrets

Master Sword does lose energy against Guardians. I've had it break when I was wailing on them a couple of times.

From what I read I think the sword does that around any Calamity-afflicted enemies, so not necessarily in the castle only. And it does break I think, but maybe it gets extended durability along with double damage when in "beast mode"?

watershed

Banned
After 150 hrs of gameplay, I came across a style of korok puzzle I had never seen before.
It was a metal ball and chain stuck to a tree stump.

jotun?

After 150 hrs of gameplay, I came across a style of korok puzzle I had never seen before.

Really? I think there was one of those on the great plateau right outside the magnesis rune shrine

Really? I think there was one of those on the great plateau right outside the magnesis rune shrine

There is, but the ball is under the mud in the bottomless pit there; you wouldn't see it unless you turn on magnesis. That's a trick I didn't realize I could do - looking for treasure chests in water and such - until quite a bit later.

Koren

You canre-visit the world again, there're something like a dozen of them, some with a twist...

TheMoon

There is, but the ball is under the mud in the bottomless pit there; you wouldn't see it unless you turn on magnesis. That's a trick I didn't realize I could do - looking for treasure chests in water and such - until quite a bit later.

it's right next to the magnesis shrine :)

with all the metal chests and boxes that you're supposed to also use to reach the ice arrow chest in that mud lake with, behind which is said ball and chain korok puzzle. :D

it's right next to the magnesis shrine :)

with all the metal chests and boxes that you're supposed to also use to reach the ice arrow chest in that mud lake with, behind which is said ball and chain korok puzzle. :D

When you come out of the Magnesis shrine, the old man shows up and tells you to warp to the top of the tower. So I did. So I didn't see those puzzles until later...and I got those chests using Cryonis, not Magnesis. So I still missed the ball & chain, and found it even later, when I was looking for low level enemies and weapons to fill in my Hyrule Compendium.

There's a nice twist variation of that puzzle type on Satori Mountain.

I saw that in a couple other places, too. One was in the forest east of Lake Hylia, I think. I liked that one. It actually made me think for a minute, unlike so many Korok puzzles.

TheMoon

When you come out of the Magnesis shrine, the old man shows up and tells you to warp to the top of the tower. So I did. So I didn't see those puzzles until later...and I got those chests using Cryonis, not Magnesis. So I still missed the ball & chain, and found it even later, when I was looking for low level enemies and weapons to fill in my Hyrule Compendium.

rule 1: never do what the old man says.

rule 1: never do what the old man says.

If it makes you feel better, I played for 200 hours and never saw his house. I ran across it while starting a 2nd playthrough. Never ran into him on top of the mountain, either. So I guess I don't have that coat he gives you on my original save.

Although, unless I missed it too, I guess he never tells you to go to those places.

TheMoon

If it makes you feel better, I played for 200 hours and never saw his house. I ran across it while starting a 2nd playthrough. Never ran into him on top of the mountain, either. So I guess I don't have that coat he gives you on my original save.

Although, unless I missed it too, I guess he never tells you to go to those places.

it's only a warm doublet, which you can just buy in Hateno.

The first time I found one of those ball-and-chain things, I spent several minutes trying to get the ball into the well with Stasis and hitting it before I gave up, marked it on the map, and left. I don't know why I didn't think to try Magnesis.

An interesting thing I know must be in here but the Korok puzzles that involve diving or throwing rocks into circular formations can be done easier with the Cryonis Rune. For the diving ones just build a block near the circle formation and dive off the block. For the rock throwing use Cryonis to build blocks to make it easier to do.

An interesting thing I know must be in here but the Korok puzzles that involve diving or throwing rocks into circular formations can be done easier with the Cryonis Rune. For the diving ones just build a block near the circle formation and dive off the block. For the rock throwing use Cryonis to build blocks to make it easier to do.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one rock throwing puzzle that requires you to do use Cryonis. I couldn't think of another way to do it.

Hadn't thought of using it for the diving ones though, that's neat.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one rock throwing puzzle that requires you to do use Cryonis. I couldn't think of another way to do it.

Hadn't thought of using it for the diving ones though, that's neat.

Yeah I ran into one near Hyrule Castle where I couldn't think of anyway to get the rocks in without Cryonis so I tried to see if it would work with diving too.

One? I feel like half of then require Cryonis... Or there's a trick to throw rocks farther...

I said at least one, because I only remember one needing it. I might have not come across the others you speak of yet. I have found around 115 seeds. Almost 800 more to go :p

Somnid

I don't think you need to be full health, I think there is a threshold where the beam travels less far until it no longer triggers.

I don't think you need to be full health, I think there is a threshold where the beam travels less far until it no longer triggers.

I think it's full health, just like the original Zelda.

I think how many max hearts you have in total (or some other stat) determines how far the beam travels.

Top Bottom