• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Wii U Won't Be Getting Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

It's pretty hilarious how Nintendo has mistepped on the Wii-U

wtf were they thinking?!?!

They were thinking that the GamePad and Nintendo Land would grab peoples' attention the same way the Wii Remote and Wii Sports did in 2006. They were wrong.

Roo

Even if you disagree with Nintendo's direction the last decade, this is a pretty fucking ignorant post.

Unless the Wiimote and motion gaming suddenly doesn't count, nor the DS's touchscreen.

what I was about to say
ignorance at its finest...

This is strange... I had a talk with Mark Rein & he told me UE4 will be a very versatile engine that will work with small and large games alike... so why won't it work on a modest chipset like Wii U?

It's certainly more powerful than an ipad...
A scaled down version would be more than usable.

But the intent of his response was to say "I doubt many devs (if using PS4 specs as baseline) will get the thing running on WiiU."

That's the thing, people don't read.

It's not that it CAN'T run the engine, it's that it WON'T.

This is actually old news that people are acting like is "breaking".
Or that.

Mighty Poo has mighty argument.

It's not a tablet. It's a controller with a screen. If anything it's an oversized handheld if you are going to compare it to something it isn't.

And it has motion controls and Wiimotes can still be used with it.

I've been grinding my teeth at the sneering "shitty tablet" comments because they're born lf ignorance and a complete inability to research before criticising. Looking at the bigger picture (the mass market) I suppose the term has become synonymous with any large touchscreen device with a touchscreen and, to some end, represents another failure (in terms of really explaining the system) on Nintendo's part.

LeleSocho

Banned
Guys, guys, remember this?

ilUqpVrIOLXlD.gif

1EqgzW5.gif

Incredible of how the opposite of all this gif says is happened...
Power wise is essentially a ps360
No one is excited about it and it's selling like shit
All the third parties bailed out immediately
A GAF user exploited Miiverse the same day the console was released

MisterHero

They were thinking that the GamePad and Nintendo Land would grab peoples' attention the same way the Wii Remote and Wii Sports did in 2006. They were wrong.
NintendoLand had good ideas, but their E3 presentation was all sorts of wrong. They wasted every minute on explaining game rules instead of just showing it work.

Nevermind that bundling WiiSports with every system was a really, really good decision.

Tookay

Yep.

They've made two wrong bets in a row: the 3D of the 3DS being an irresistible attraction and the Gamepad tapping into the mass market.

Both of them haven't panned out at all as they had planned, and haven't added any perceived value to their respective systems.

RedSwirl

While that sounds nice, it could also be that they simply don't like having to compete. Let's say the Gamecube really isn't the route they wanted to go. That leaves the NES, SNES, and N64 which were all basically nothing more than graphical upgrades. As soon as Sony comes onto the scene and beats them then all of a sudden they're ready to go a different route as opposed to trying to compete and take back what they had. Coincidence?

Or maybe they realized that competing with companies who are willing to lose billions of dollars in order to essentially buy market share because they have other businesses to cushion them, would've possibly bankrupted Nintendo.

Personally, I see Sony's entrance as the very beginning of a path in gaming Nintendo didn't want to follow. They probably did try with the GCN, but just felt that it wasn't a sustainable path. I feel like if they'd kept going in that direction instead of doing what they did with the Wii, they'd still be playing catch-up, not to mention they wouldn't have the immense profits from the Wii era.

Man it'd be kinda funny if Iwata's plan was to reap profits off of the casuals for a console generation, then use that money to hop back into the bleeding edge arena. Would've been some All According to Keikaku kind of shit.

But seriously though, Nintendo is just a more conservative company than most, partly because is conservative business model is actually very sustainable compared to, say, Sony's. They also just seem to have different ideas about where console gaming is supposed to go.

We'll see how Nitnendo and Sony compare financially five years from now.

Nintendo commands no respect in the industry. Rein wouldn't be saying this about Valve or Sony.

Depends on who you talk to. Epic has never shipped a game on Nintendo hardware because they got into the console market after Microsoft and Sony had carved out sector of the market where Nintendo wasn't really a factor. From what I've seen, most of the companies that have been in the console market for longer than 15 years still retain immense respect for Nintendo.

It feels like Wii U buzz/support/everything is falling off a cliff while the Vita is finally finding some footing. Did the Vita ever have a stretch of news this bad?
Well, at least WiiU has UE3 on an official capacity...

Vita doesn't even have that - Netherrealm had to basically port the whole engine themselves for Mortal Kombat Vita, and all that effort for such hilariously weak results.

Both systems have support that I'd call barely marginal, so the comparison you made was really bizarre.

NeonZ

The Gamecube only missed 1/2 Soul Calibur games for its gen (and Xbox got screwed as well).

The Wii never got a single one.

Wii is did get a pointless spin off (Soul Calibur Legends), but then couldn't even get a port of 4 in spite of the PSP getting Broken Destiny, which was directly based on 4. Tbat was another problem with the Wii's support though. Even though it was clearly a cheap game, a straight port likely would have cost less than Legends, but yet for whatever reason the Wii's entry had to be "different" to that point that no one cared for its version. The Gamecube wasn't setting a good precedent though. It only got 2. In spite of its good sales, Namco never ported 1 and 3 was PS2-only.

I know. What were they thinking? No other company would promote their console like that....

http://youtu.be/TYY-J3ckeSI?t=2m29s

the mediamolecule demo was beatiful,that guy no (and i dont give a shit about move,kinect and motion gaming)

Well, at least WiiU has UE3 on an official capacity...

Vita doesn't even have that - Netherrealm had to basically port the whole engine themselves for Mortal Kombat Vita, and all that effort for such hilariously weak results.

Both system have support that I'd call barely marginal, so the comparison you made was really bizarre.

its not bizarre because

A vita on his field is good tech (dont forget unity)

B its getting games and positive buzz from the dev comunity (to be fair nintendo will get games in the future)

C at least in japan is selling some consoles ( i know only 3 weeks of good sales)

you know what is bizarre? a lot of people who are in arms with the wiiu situation were Laughing on vita post..that is bizarre karma

all this talk its a bit silly,wiiu is a nintendo machine for nintendo games,the sooner the people accept that,the shooner this whole third party thing will be forgotten

Yep.

They've made two wrong bets in a row: the 3D of the 3DS being an irresistible attraction and the Gamepad tapping into the mass market.

Both of them haven't panned out at all as they had planned, and haven't added any perceived value to their respective systems.

Pretty much.

3DS' saving grace is it's still a Nintendo handheld and Pokemon alone will ensure it stays relevant. Plus there's fuck all direct competion with Vita being such a joke.

It's hard to see how Wii U can compete with two better systems though.

The industry is getting so cocky when it's in a shape where it can collapse like a card castle.

I think in 3 or 4 years, the laughing one will be the crying one.

Orayn

NintendoLand had good ideas, but their E3 presentation was all sorts of wrong. They wasted every minute on explaining game rules instead of just showing it work.

Nevermind that bundling WiiSports with every system was a really, really good decision.

Honestly, I think Nintendo Land is a more convincing demonstration of what the GamePad can do than Wii Sports was for the Wii Remote. It's a far, far better game, but tablet controls aren't new and novel and didn't "become a thing" the way motion controls did.

Go read some of those old Wii U Speculation threads where people were getting excited about how much of a leap over 360 and PS3 Wii U was going to be.

Some people only care when it suits their interests

It's irrefutably a decent jump (which is why it is hilarious when you see agenda riddled doofuses assert that it's barely on par with the others); new architecture wouldn't be running late-gen games as competently as it is, we wouldn't be looking at shonky frame rate, better than this version here but worse in another (or clearly superior as is the case with NFS & Trine 2) and instead an utter technical catastrophe, but I'm confused as to how anyone saw a true generational leap out of it.

JordanN

Banned
Yep.

I think the 3D could of taken off if you never had to hold the 3DS a certain way for it to work.

Glasses free is a legit technology but the lack of tracking holds it back in my eyes.

SeanR1221

They moved to smart phones, tablets and/or are just happy with the old Wii.

I don't understand how this was unpredictable. Write me a check, Nintendo. I can fill you in on this info.

Yep.

And Im very happy 3d will be trashed for the next handheld most likely. Very interested what they do next because they is a lot of tech like occulus coming out that im sure nintendo will push. Thats the problem with Nintendo right now is that they arent capturing consumer's imagination. The Wiiu's defining features cancel each other out, off tv play and gamepad integration. This is true for the 3ds where the gyro and 3d cancel each other.

Fox318

Good fucking question. I was furious when Nintendo revealed the GamePad, seriously. They had a great thing going and decided to put it on the sidelines for terrible, terrible reasons.
If Nintendo was going to go down this path they should have released something with the power and price of an OUYA.
You mean like free middleware, clickable sticks, no charging for patches, etc...

We get it that you don't like Nintendo but please do some research and have some common sense.
If they brought that system to dev teams and asked them about specs and online features it would have had a huge hard drive in it. I like that you can expand with USB hard drives but it should have had better storage on it.
It's not a tablet. It's a controller with a screen. If anything it's an oversized handheld if you are going to compare it to something it isn't.

And it has motion controls and Wiimotes can still be used with it.
I don't think they have really pushed that message to people as such. What Nintendo really should have done was make a dock able table that could connect to bluetooth Wii controllers for multiplayer action. The biggest reason why the Wii U is fucked is the marketing though. Look at all of the Amazon reviews and returns for Wii U products because people say they already have a Wii or that the Wii U game doesn't work with your Wii. If Peter Moore doesn't get the EA job Nintendo should get on their hands and knees to get him to run the company. There is so much money left on the table that Nintendo is either ignorant of or incompatant of getting.

RedSwirl

A while ago someone started a thread with Bill Cosby video laying out an analogy: It's all about the presentation.

I still think the Wii U is mostly an advertising failure right now.

Pretty much.

3DS' saving grace is it's still a Nintendo handheld and Pokemon alone will ensure it stays relevant. Plus there's fuck all direct competion with Vita being such a joke.

It's hard to see how Wii U can compete with two better systems though.

IMO, people are overestimating next Sony and Microsoft consoles. Like thinking because it's more powerfull it will sell a lot.
It reminds me a lot of those Vita thread at E3, where people were sure 3DS would fail and Vita would be successfull because of how powerfull it was while being priced the same as 3DS.

v1oz

It's kinda hard to see PS4/Durango do bad or at least anywhere as bad Wii U.

Third parties are bound to support it and the hardware is powerful. The price would have to be PS3 levels of fail for it to happen but the PS4 doesn't appear to be too exotic for a repeat.
If the PS4/Durango launched in the same economy that the Wii U launched they would have done even worse. It was a bad year for retail, even the iPhone and the new Windows devices didn't sell that well. Technology sales tanked last year. And I don't see the PS4/Durango out selling the Wii U, which will be cheaper and have the new Zelda HD this holiday season.

Cronq

Banned
I've been grinding my teeth at the sneering "shitty tablet" comments because they're born lf ignorance and a complete inability to research before criticising. Looking at the bigger picture (the mass market) I suppose the term has become synonymous with any large touchscreen device with a touchscreen and, to some end, represents another failure (in terms of really explaining the system) on Nintendo's part.

Exactly the same thoughts. People who trash the console (never even used it) refer to the Gamepad as a tablet. Not even close in its uses. It is a controller with a screen.

JordanN

Banned
Wii is did get a pointless spin off (Soul Calibur Legends), but then couldn't even get a port of 4 in spite of the PSP getting Broken Destiny, which was directly based on 4. The Gamecube wasn't setting a good precedent though. It only got 2. In spite of its good sales, Namco never ported 1 and 3 was PS2-only.
Look at the picture. Gamecube still got one.

The Wii didn't.

Would you say Soul Calibur IV and V ever stood a chance on Wii with its low spec hardware? Especially when we had developers say it wasn't good enough for their games?

This is what separates Gamecube from Wii.

IMO, people are overestimating next Sony and Microsoft consoles. Like thinking because it's more powerfull it will sell a lot.
It reminds me a lot of those Vita thread at E3, where people were sure 3DS would fail and Vita would be successfull because of how powerfull it was while being priced the same as 3DS.

They won't sell because they are powerful. They will sell because they have the backing of the rest of the industry. Vita had nothing to back up its power
This post makes no sense

In their advertising, the same way 3d is not the selling point of the 3ds

That is not totally true Nintendo Land has been the best selling Wii U game by far. They need to make more games like that if they want to sell the system.

Its packed into the system. In Japan where its not, NSMBU is the best seller.

cmeese47

Neo Member

That is not totally true Nintendo Land has been the best selling Wii U game by far. They need to make more games like that if they want to sell the system.

NeonZ

Wii U is practically at disaster status at this point.

How long before the next Nintendo console? My bet is on "not long".

It'd kill Nintendo's next console before it arrived if they did something like that. There'd be no confidence on the product at all from anyone, not even fans, and it obviously would be just a late arrival of a PS4/720 level system. It'd be suicide.

The best thing Nintendo can do right now is to stick supporting the Wii U for a few years and maybe remove the Gamepad somehow from future units to reduce losses with that failed experiment.

I don't expect them to sell millions and millions day 1. But last gen, there was a Wii to compete with them. This time around, I don't see where the competition is coming from.

They won't sell because they are powerful. They will sell because they have the backing of the rest of the industry. Vita had nothing to back up its power

And you're thinking the whole industry will get away from PS360 to throw millions on consoles with no userbase ?
Games will cost a lot more, userbases will be a lot smaller.

NBtoaster

It was clearly designed to resemble a tablet.

NateDrake

I agree with you. Slow sales will not be an exclusive problem to Wii U. The industry is on the verge of a major shift and analyst and some people believe new consoles -- PS4/Nextbox -- will magically spark great interest in people. Could it happen? Of course. But the reverse is also true and these new systems may see slow sales following launch.

As long as PS360 have games that matter to the Western audience -- CoD, AC, BF, etc. -- fewer people will jump the new consoles in a timely manner. And I suspect a lot of devs/pubs won't abandon PS360 quickly since sales are still going strong and the base of customers is massive.

no,seriously,you seem very molest because some people laugh at that panel and you extraolate that to the whole development comunity and gaming press

I'm not sure what I'm molesting, but my general point was that it's unprofessional and childish, which is something that should be discussed amongst an industry that claims that it wants its output to be recognized like film and books, which the other poster I replied to seemed to understand. It's clear this went right over your head, with both of your posts illustrating that.

This level of unprofessionalism isn't some sort of isolated incident.

Wii U is practically at disaster status at this point.

How long before the next Nintendo console? My bet is on "not long".

5 years minimum.

Unlike armchair experts here, the company has been doing this for some time and they aren't going to cancel an investment, especially at this point and time where none of the games that have "system selling" appeal have even been shown.

Not to mention how much money they have and can use to sustain and help improve the problem/situation.

Excellent, now the unreal engine can be used with less restrictions now that 4 doesn't support 360, ps3 and wii u. Now it's all down to whether the 720 will be the shit or shit.

In their advertising, the same way 3d is not the selling point of the 3ds

Nope. You're wrong.

They're still going to show people playing the game with the gamepad.

Ridley327

A while ago someone started a thread with a Bill Cosby video laying out an analogy: It's all about the presentation.

I still think the Wii U is mostly an advertising failure right now.

I agree with this, but that's just the most immediate problem that needs correction. Long-term is where the major problems crop up at, and third party support is a very serious one if Nintendo's development output doesn't reach some kind of normalcy soon.

I suspect that Nintendo is really going to strive to do more development deals like what they've done with Next Level Games and Monster Games to bolster Wii U support; we're already seeing that with Platinum Games (and that already led to the system's far-and-away most provocative software announcement), and I would like to see them do more with that concept.

And you're thinking the whole industry will get away from PS360 to throw millions on consoles with no userbase ?
Games will cost a lot more, userbases will be a lot smaller.

Not the entire industry at first because of cross generation games, but the focus will be on the next gen versions even if they sell less

Orayn

This too. I'm not one of the "out there" Nintendo fans who randomly thinks that Durango and PS4 will sell as poorly as the Wii U, but when the entire industry's contracted by ~20% two years in a row and Square-Enix loses enough money that they have to restructure the company because their three latest AAA games only sold a combined total of 7 million copies, there are things to worry about.

AZ Greg

I love that people are still making home console and handheld comparisons. Both comparing the 3DS and WiiU slow starts and the importance, or lack thereof, of power using the Vita as an example.

The markets aren't comparable at all. And that isn't even getting into all the other circumstances.

NeonZ

Look at the picture. Gamecube still got one.

The Wii didn't.

Huh? Did you look at it? The Wii got Legends. It was a dumb spin off that no one liked, but it's still technically an entry.

Would say Soul Calibur IV and V ever stood a chance on Wii with its low spec hardware? Especially when we had developers say it wasn't good enough for their games?

This is what separates Gamecube from Wii.

But the PSP got Broken Destiny, which was directly based on 4, only with different single player modes, improved character creation and obviously worse graphics. If the PSP could get a version of 4, there was nothing power-wise stopping the Wii from getting one.

v1oz

Excellent, now the unreal engine can be used with less restrictions now that 4 doesn't support 360, ps3 and wii u. Now it's all down to whether the 720 will be the shit or shit.

It just means it's even more bloated this time around. Game engines are over rated anyways. With the right tool chains you can make something just on par with something like Unity engine or PhyreEngine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom