• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

asdad123

Looks like another OLED sale is happening.

55" B6/C6: $2,500
65" B6/C6: $4,000

55" E6: $3,500
65" E6: $5,000

For those who bought one recently, check your return period. You might be able to get some money back

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still ahead on my E6 purchase by a couple hundred.

I wish someone would buy my current 55". I'd pick up a B6 or last years Oled for the bed room. Going back to a regular LED is tough after watching the Oled haha.

robo

What's your price range? And is OLED out of the question? Asking because going from a Kuro to LCD may produce disappointing results, depending on which one you buy.

Price shouldn't be an issue, was looking at the 55 x93, heard bad things about LG and sub standard components,

Such a shame pioneer got out the business of TV,

Kyoufu

Price shouldn't be an issue, was looking at the 55 x93, heard bad things about LG and sub standard components,

Not sure where you heard that but if you really don't want to go with LG's OLED range then Loewe announced their OLED televisions for September 2016. Note that LG supply the OLED panels.

If you don't want OLED then Sony's ZD9 could be one to look out for, also due in September.

Despite what you might've heard about LG, their OLEDs (especially 2016 models) have a very high build quality.

There can always be reasons to go LED or to choose a different brand, but build quality is not an issue.

pswii60

Still an issue, but not as pronounced. Apparently this is partly why:

But you're right; it's not as much of a problem anymore on 2016 sets.

Btw: I'm not saying blockiness is never due to the source. Of course it can be, especially with streaming video. But saying it's always the source is misinformation.
My brightness is on correct setting at 52, so that is irrelevant. 50 would crush blacks. Having had both, it really isn't an issue on this year's sets, it definitely was on last year's. You can see same near-black artefacts that you could see on last year's sets on LCDs though, they just weren't as pronounced due to black levels. Plasma is the best tech for near-black ultimately because their dithering all but negates any near black issues, one beneficial side effect of dithering. Near blacks are noisier but less blocky on poorly compressed content on plasma compared to OLED and LCD. I couldn't go back to plasma now though, albeit I did love my VT65 at the time.

Canon

Banned
This is my personal nightmare. Which plasma do you have?

For my Panasonic, I had the Xbox 'orb' retained into the top right of the panel for—and this is not an exaggeration—around 10 months.

I think burn in is incredibly rare these days. But extreme, long-term retention is very much a real issue.
Panasonic S64.

I tried white noise as well but it didn't work. Don't have Disney Wow.

I've been looking to upgrade to a 55" 4k OLED LG tv. Might end up waiting until the holiday season since they are still kind of pricey. Does anyone have one or recommend one that is great for gaming?

My brightness is on correct setting at 52, so that is irrelevant. 50 would crush blacks. Having had both, it really isn't an issue on this year's sets, it definitely was on last year's. You can see same near-black artefacts that you could see on last year's sets on LCDs though, they just weren't as pronounced due to black levels. Plasma is the best tech for near-black ultimately because their dithering all but negates any near black issues, one beneficial side effect of dithering. Near blacks are noisier but less blocky on poorly compressed content on plasma compared to OLED and LCD. I couldn't go back to plasma now though, albeit I did love my VT65 at the time.

Agreed, I wouldn't really call it an 'issue' anymore. It's just that it might still pop up in certain scenes but way less often.

I've been looking to upgrade to a 55" 4k OLED LG tv. Might end up waiting until the holiday season since they are still kind of pricey. Does anyone have one or recommend one that is great for gaming?

Any 2016 LG OLED is great for gaming (30ish ms input lag). 2015 sets are just okay (50ish ms input lag).

flozuki

Despite what you might've heard about LG, their OLEDs (especially 2016 models) have a very high build quality.

There can always be reasons to go LED or to choose a different brand, but build quality is not an issue.

Yep, but I would strongly recommend to wait regarding Sony and check how the first reports outside of official reviews are for basics like software functionality. A look at their forums shows how many problems there still are for 2015 sets and one can only hope they either have a much better version of Android TV or a different platform (I would hope for option 2 honestly because my experience with ATV was horrible on different sets of different manufacturers, so I guess it is not Sonys fault).

Kyoufu

You'd want a 2016 LG OLED for the lowest input lag.

The B series (in Europe at least) has 44ms input lag while the C/E/G series have 34ms input lag.

On my E6, I tried gaming outside of Game mode and... it's actually not bad at all. Thought it'd be unbearable without Game mode on but to my surprise I could still play Destiny just fine.

finalflame

Am I crazy, or does the left side of my TV's edge lighting look "bloomier" than the right? It seems to be constantly a bit brighter than the right side on lit images (not noticeable on black/dark image) ;/ Or maybe I'm crazy?

Left:
rMyOsay.jpg

Right:
JoQZZHu.jpg

Is this normal? It's always just slightly noticeable that that corner is a bit brighter during regular playback, but I do have to focus on it ;/

Am I crazy, or does the left side of my TV's edge lighting look "bloomier" than the right? It seems to be constantly a bit brighter than the right side on lit images (not noticeable on black/dark image) ;/ Or maybe I'm crazy?

Left:
rMyOsay.jpg

Right:
JoQZZHu.jpg

Is this normal? It's always just slightly noticeable that that corner is a bit brighter during regular playback, but I do have to focus on it ;/

Hard to tell from that picture..in your picture the right side looks brighter :) if it's noticeable irl, it's noticeable.

Try to find a good example (solid color background or s/t) and if it shows, just return it or live with it :)

I have high hopes for the ZD9. Hope Sony doesn't fuck it up.

What I want:
- faster OS
- low/decent latency HDR gaming
- good panel quality

Especially if Neo supports HDR they need to get HDR gaming right on their flagship model. Everything else would be a complete joke.

finalflame

Hard to tell from that picture..in your picture the right side looks brighter :) if it's noticeable irl, it's noticeable.

Try to find a good example (solid color background or s/t) and if it shows, just return it or live with it :)

Thanks, I took a better picture. Just not sure if having some kind of bloom like this is normal. Here's a better picture, drew an arrow to point to where I'm referring to:

QgVxdSy.jpg

Edit: Don't mind the right edge, it's just a reflection from my curtains.

Reallink

I've been planning on waiting until this holiday to pull the trigger but this is really tempting.

How much further are prices expected to drop as the year goes on?

The 55" B and C will almost assuredly have a 2k sale at some point this Fall/Holiday season. 1.5k to 1.8k during clearance season (Q1) next year. 65" should go down to between 3 and 3.5k this Fall/Holday, 2.5k to 3k during clearance Q1 next year.

I have high hopes for the ZD9. Hope Sony doesn't fuck it up.

What I want:
- faster OS
- low/decent latency HDR gaming
- good panel quality

Especially if Neo supports HDR they need to get HDR gaming right on their flagship model. Everything else would be a complete joke.
I expect Sony and Samsung at the very least to update the firmware on all their 2016 HDR models to enable HDR Game Mode.
Thanks, I took a better picture. Just not sure if having some kind of bloom like this is normal. Here's a better picture, drew an arrow to point to where I'm referring to:

QgVxdSy.jpg

Yep, that's some minor backlight bleed. Fairly normal for a bottom-lit LED tv. Is it only when backlight is set high or on lower settings too?

If only the former: just dial down the backlight a bit. Consider returning if it's always this visible (dark scenes, low settings too, etc).

Is this an ask anything TV thread? DVI-I carries an analog signal, so if I wanted to pick up a DVI-I to component cable to hook my old Sony Trinitron 32 inch to my pc (EVGA GTX 970 SSC), that should work, right?

Well. I found (what I assume is) a dead pixel on my LG B6. It's pretty obvious too as its on the bottom of the screen where black bars always are during movies. It is just green, regardless of the scene. Easily visible from the couch. I assume I'm just screwed?

Kyoufu

Well. I found a dead pixel on my LG B6. It's pretty obvious too as its on the bottom of the screen where black bars always are during movies. Is just green, regardless of the scene. Easily visible from the couch. I assume I'm just screwed?

Exchange it if it's visible like you say.

Kyoufu

Light Google-ing suggests it's a stuck pixel (a single color) as opposed to dead (dark). I'll read around more to try and fix it.

Otherwise, I'm not the type of person who could ignore it.

I guess you could try the seizure inducing colour pattern videos on YouTube and hope the pixel unfucks itself.

I guess you could try the seizure inducing colour pattern videos on YouTube and hope the pixel unfucks itself.

Scramble in process. . . Hopefully the un-fucking commences.

EDIT: No luck on the recommended 10 minutes. Guess I could try running the comp cycle? That's an hour though.

Cycling the tv didn't work. I'll be talking to Amazon/LG today, but I don't have high hopes.

sector4

Maybe I'm crazy, but DNR has always resulted in a worse visual effect than grain / noise. For every patch it smooths out, it always feels "late," making things have a terrible blur to them. It defaulted to "on" for the b6 HDR setting and I turned it right off while watching Pacific Rim.
Yeah, I would never recommend using it, or any feature like it. It completely ruins the image. But if someone is confusing film grain for poor source material, maybe they'd find that setting helpful or more visually appealing.

That's edge-lit backlighting at work here. You could try to play the panel lottery and exchange it for another model, but you're likely to get a similar anomaly there or somewhere else along the bezel.

Amazon is just the best. Getting the dead pixel B6 picked up and replaced all on the same day, in just a few days shy of a week. Two thumbs up.

dopemethodz

Neo Member
so I planned on getting the 55eg9100 next month, but I was wondering, is there any other newer 1080p oleds on the horizon, or is this pretty much the last one? Also, is it worth just holding out til later this year and getting an e6 even if I only plan on using it for 1080p?

Kyoufu

so I planned on getting the 55eg9100 next month, but I was wondering, is there any other newer 1080p oleds on the horizon, or is this pretty much the last one? Also, is it worth just holding out til later this year and getting an e6 even if I only plan on using it for 1080p?

With the industry shift to 4K happening as we speak I can't say I recommend spending money on a 1080p screen if you intend on using it for years to come. The E6 is really something else. You might as well cover yourself as far as higher resolutions and features like HDR10 and Dolby Vision go.

ss_lemonade

I'm planning on getting a new TV soon and I think I could squeeze the 55in LG B6 into our budget. While this will mostly be used for movies, how's the input lag on that in general if I choose to play games on it or hook my laptop to it? I currently have a Sony w900a but I've been looking into getting a 4k set. Will it be a noticeable difference compared to the Sony?

nitewulf

I am considering either the 55KS8000 or the 55B6P, the former as a stopgap, unless the LG set will future proof me for 5 years or so? I'd rather not switch out TVs within the next 2 years or so. Are there any actual downsides for the LG? It'll be totally for HT purposes, no gaming. I'm leaning towards it rather than a LCD stop gap solution.

I am considering either the 55KS8000 or the 55B6P, the former as a stopgap, unless the LG set will future proof me for 5 years or so? I'd rather not switch out TVs within the next 2 years or so. Are there any actual downsides for the LG? It'll be totally for HT purposes, no gaming. I'm leaning towards it rather than a LCD stop gap solution.

Issues with OLED are mostly related to brightness/HDR:

- they use ABL (which dims the image when large bright content is shown)
- only reach 650 (E6) to 750 (B6) nits which can lead to clipping in HDR content
- low color saturation in HDR mode because the brightness mentioned above is only reached with white but not colored subpixels

LCD is better if you plan on watching content in a bright room and also better suited for HDR content. for SDR content OLEDs are the best TVs on the market at the moment.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Issues with OLED are mostly related to brightness/HDR:

- they use ABL (which dims the image when large bright content is shown)
- only reach 650 (E6) to 750 (B6) nits which can lead to clipping in HDR content
- low color saturation in HDR mode because the brightness mentioned above is only reached with white but not colored subpixels

LCD is better if you plan on watching content in a bright room and also better suited for HDR content. for SDR content OLEDs are the best TVs on the market at the moment.

The LCDs may hit the brights in HDR better, but they can't handle the low end.

I'd struggle to imagine a LCD HDR TV handling The Revenant as well as the E6 does

My 65E6P just hit LA. Just have to set up a delivery time. Damn the wait is rough lol. I have a 65EF9500 but ready to see what this E6 is all about.

Impulsor

Just stopped by this thread to post that yesterday I watched my frist HDR movie on my KS9000.

I'm SO happy. it was incredible!

Kyoufu

To be honest, my eyes would burn into a crisp if I watched a display brighter than the E6 even in a bight room setting.

Speaking of bright rooms, the anti-reflective filter on the E6 is surprisingly excellent. Next to no glare. I'm very impressed as my plasma was a glare magnet.

Just stopped by this thread to post that yesterday I watched my frist HDR movie on my KS9000.

I'm SO happy. it was incredible!
And you're not going to tell us which movie?

My first UHD Blu-Ray I watched was on Sunday. It was Batman vs. Superman UE. which I had avoided in the theaters. There were some moments that I was very impressed by HDR. Particularly the final battle. And, surprisingly, I actually liked the film. It wasn't great, but it wasn't as horrible as I've read. Though I have read that the UE fixes quite a bit.

First 4K HDR movie I got to watch was Pacific Rim. Rented it digitally on vudu, so I'm sure it would've been better on a disc, but I was very impressed.

Also gotta recommend Stranger Things in 4K, and especially on an OLED. Aside from being a great show, there's just so many shots in the dark with flashlights, or low light scenes with a single character spotlighted. The show really shines on these sets.

also makes all your fuckin dead pixels really obvious

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the Olympics are here.

Guess that means the Comcast rumor was bogus.

I doubt they put out a successor to their X1 box this year now.

FFS

First 4K HDR movie I got to watch was Pacific Rim. Rented it digitally on vudu, so I'm sure it would've been better on a disc, but I was very impressed.
It's arguably the Dolby Vision/HDR showoff movie. All of the bright scenes and expanded color brings the image to a whole new level.

Daante

I think we are in a interesting landscape and era, tv wise.

HDR seems to be the next thing, yet i read many reports on forums such as avs that people watching hdr content in a light controlled room actually feels some content/scenes is TOO BRIGHT TO YOUR EYES, and simply isnt enjoyable...

The music industry or more specifically electronic dance music has the last few years been down the road that louder is better, also refered to "the loudness wars".

The tv industry will now move to brighter is better.

Profit

?

finalflame

Oh shit this looks amazing. Like underwater Journey - maybe I can 4K 60fps it!

PC port is a terrible mess and currently nobody has figured out how to get it to render above 1080p. Also does not have many settings, and is shitty on performance. Might be the first game I return on Steam.

PC port is a terrible mess and currently nobody has figured out how to get it to render above 1080p. Also does not have many settings, and is shitty on performance. Might be the first game I return on Steam.

Well. There went my short-lived hype. I'll keep an eye out for future patches

finalflame

Well. There went my short-lived hype. I'll keep an eye out for future patches

I figured out how to set it above 1080p using the game's .ini files here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212271009&postcount=1175

However, I am still having issues maintaining a 60fps stable framerate at 4K on a GTX1080/i7-6700K. The game seems to dip down to 30 and lock itself there, even with VSync off. I might just lock it at 30 and play it that way; it really is visually stunning, there are just clearly issues.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My 65E6P just hit LA. Just have to set up a delivery time. Damn the wait is rough lol. I have a 65EF9500 but ready to see what this E6 is all about.

it's better, for sure, but not a huge step up picture quality wise from the EF9500.

What it does way better is picture uniformity, a very narrow band of near black, and Dolby Vision is a treat on it.

vpance

I think we are in a interesting landscape and era, tv wise.

HDR seems to be the next thing, yet i read many reports on forums such as avs that people watching hdr content in a light controlled room actually feels some content/scenes is TOO BRIGHT TO YOUR EYES, and simply isnt enjoyable...

The music industry or more specifically electronic dance music has the last few years been down the road that louder is better, also refered to "the loudness wars".

The tv industry will now move to brighter is better.

Profit

?

Well since you'll always be able to turn down the brightness it's no biggie.

It's kind of the opposite of the loudness wars actually, with that being the limitation of dynamic range, and HDR standards expanding it.

Top Bottom