• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

From should have
anticipated people cheesing it by doing it offline and made the offline boss 10x harder. lol

That wasn't what happened.
enemy summoned and just froze in place
Didn't even know it was an online battle so didn't even consider offline. The optional boss kicked my ass enough times before I beat it so there's that at least.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just started on both DLCs this weekend and beat Ashes of Ariandel just now. Are there any cool/good new weapons in either DLC for quality builds that I missed/should look for to try? Currently just using a claymore.

Jobbs

Banned
After seeing quite a bit of negativity surrounding the Ashes of Ariandel, should I just buy The Ringed City and skip AoA?

ashes is lovely, it's just slim on content for the price tag. I think that's the source of most of the criticism.

Toxi

Banned
This entire first area, swamps, endlessly respawning blue pieces of shit, and those fucking angels. All I could think of the entire time:

j2Bqj4.gif

Seriously so far this DLC is fucking wack as shit
I thought we could go an entire thread without posting that overused gif.

Jobbs

Banned
This entire first area, swamps, endlessly respawning blue pieces of shit, and those fucking angels. All I could think of the entire time:

j2Bqj4.gif

Seriously so far this DLC is fucking wack as shit

I kinda feel the same about the first portion. I haven't played the whole thing yet.

These are situations where Souls games are at their weakest:

- facing multiple hard enemies at once
- enemies that grab you and do a 10 minute animation
- environmental threats where a thing is going to kill you and you have to do a thing to not die

And the whole first sections of the DLC were nothing but this shit

I kinda feel the same about the first portion. I haven't played the whole thing yet.

- environmental threats where a thing is going to kill you and you have to do a thing to not die

I'm with you. The fact you had to either play stealth or run constantly dodging at the start wasn't what I expect dark souls to be. The later half was fine but overall dlc seems to be a step down from dark souls 1 and bloodborne dlc.

jviggy43

Yeah the run by everything and stealth sections are so antithetical to the way the souls series gravitates towards slow exploration. I don't mind the mob enemies but typically the series counterbalances it with enemies who do little damage or have little hp-neither is the case in that first area.

The last boss in this DLC tho.....so good. That alone makes the dlc a must play through for me.

Spacejaws

Just beat
Midir
fuck me that was a rush. As a dex/faith did it inthe end with a sharp Carthus Curved Sword which I found good for getting in a few extra hits, swapping Lightning Weapon for Blessed Weapon as I found using the buff I'd only get a few hits before it wore of anyway so I reckoned getting the small heal out of it was worth it along woth great heal equiped.

Really thought I had messed it up as at the end I accidentally swapped weapons to nothing and shat myself. Was expecting a death with him on like double digit health.

Phew!

FROM really wanted to replicate Onstein and Smough in every single Souls games but I think they overdid and just said fuck it make them big, with a super loud music and then a last phase with HUGE abilities to make the players says WOOOAAAHHHHHH.

Yeah. I get the feeling they've wanted to hit that mark, but largely failed. I don't think they've completeeeely missed it, but it feels like O&S were lightning in a bottle for multi-target bosses in Souls. Which makes my pipe dream of a multi phase fight against the Four Knights of Gwyn chaotic and impossible >_>

Just started on both DLCs this weekend and beat Ashes of Ariandel just now. Are there any cool/good new weapons in either DLC for quality builds that I missed/should look for to try? Currently just using a claymore.

The final boss of the Ringed City has a quality build weapon that I've just started using on a cosplay co-op run and it's reaaaally fun. Especially vs invaders, because it deals a ton of damage (it's pure physical, iirc) but it's moveset/animations are lovely.

Toxi

Banned
Okay, From, honest question: What were you thinking with the camera on the optional boss fight?

I feel like if I'm in front of him, my camera fucks up when he moved forward. If I'm below him, the camera is unusable.

Edit: Locked onto head, boss moves slightly, lock on lost even though head is clearly in my field of view, sunlight spear sails into nothingness

grmlin

Played a bit more after killing the
angels.
. Jumped to the first boss. Got them 1st try.
I really hoped the bullshit of the first part does not continue, but it gets even worse. I'm really disappointed so far. Feels like "run around, try and die until it works" the game. I love fighting, learning the patterns, but this is just not fun.

Too bad, I love the look of the DLC and want to enjoy it so much. :(

Played a bit more after killing the
angels.
. Jumped to the first boss. Got them 1st try.
I really hoped the bullshit of the first part does not continue, but it gets even worse. I'm really disappointed so far. Feels like "run around, try and die until it works" the game. I love fighting, learning the patterns, but this is just not fun.

Too bad, I love the look of the DLC and want to enjoy it so much. :(

The next are have
ghosts
, have fun

Zocano

I dunno why you people insist on locking on to large enemies. It's always been a shit show in these games and it's never worth it.

The only time it has mattered is in Bloodborne because you actually get a different roll (side-step) when locked vs unlocked.

Nimby

Banned
The first area was frustrating at first, but I really grew to like it in the end. DLC is pretty awesome so far, the first boss has way too much HP though.

Toxi

Banned
I dunno why you people insist on locking on to large enemies. It's always been a shit show in these games and it's never worth it.

The only time it has mattered is in Bloodborne because you actually get a different roll (side-step) when locked vs unlocked.
You can't manually aim Sunlight Spear.

neoism

Sooo...where is the best place in the game to grind for souls? I'm level 90 right now with the Gundyr set and feel rather weak and in need of more power.

If you have the ringed city dlc
Third bonfire in the city at the swamp their is 4 ringed knights they have a low chance to drop church fragments and on ng+ I get 22k each so over 100k in less than 5min

Finished it, not even close to the bang I was hoping the franchise would go out with. Kinda overstayed it's welcome honestly.
E3 might be good.

Well if Killer Queen ain't kidding us, E3's gonna be a good one for From fans, and their next ARPG, while applying lessons from Souls, is something different. While I'm sad the entire series is done, I'm excited for post-Souls From.

Well if Killer Queen ain't kidding us, E3's gonna be a good one for From fans, and their next ARPG, while applying lessons from Souls, is something different. While I'm sad the entire series is done, I'm excited for post-Souls From.
I don't know about E3, I also don't know if 2017 was for an ARPG or just a Fromsoft property in general. But yeah everything else is what I heard. I'd assume that E3 would be a safe bet if that's what's being shown this year or TGS. But I feel like Armored Core is closer.

Bl@de

my advice: stay close, dodge physical attacks, block fire breaths, hit the head. that's how i did it.Just try to stay in front of him.

Yep. Doing this. Had him down 50%, but saved the fight for tomorrow. Already beat
Judicator Argo and Gael
in todays session^^

Gorillaz

Yeah. I get the feeling they've wanted to hit that mark, but largely failed. I don't think they've completeeeely missed it, but it feels like O&S were lightning in a bottle for multi-target bosses in Souls. Which makes my pipe dream of a multi phase fight against the Four Knights of Gwyn chaotic and impossible >_>
Someone here mentioned it but the fact is everything has been done already in these games. We pretty much seen it all. You can't get that same OnS feeling again like the first time

Phenomena

Felt that this was an okay expansion at first but the optional boss and the final one really elevated the experience. Not as good as the other Soulsborne DLCs but still good.

Managed to beat the final boss on my first attempt with zero Estus remaining and my life bar barely visible.

For those who have completed it:
Is there nothing else than just a few lines of dialogue from the painter? That's disappointing..

Double Demon fight is pretty weak tbh. Level 86 almost beat it on first try. But I've got like 40 vigor and 35 endurance along with +5 wolf sword and black Knight shield.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also If you used the white branch in the swamp you get the
humanity
first time
This isn't true.
I read that on some guide, went in the swamp, used the branch, I turned into a pot. Tried again, turned into that circular-cross stone thingy. Only on like the 4th time, with my feet planted firmly in the swamp the whole time I tried, did I turn into that humanity sprite.

Besides, even if it worked first try,
how are you supposed to know that you have to use the spell/item in the swamp and then slooooowly make your way to the secret door? What is the significance of being in that swamp that'd give you that hint?
I remain convinced that this puzzle is nonsensical garbage.

Neither. Full dex, two handed uchigatana.
I played on the same build. I can post my video of me beating Midir (used only 4-5 estus or so) if you want, I finally got his pattern down and found a way to (mostly) handle the camera as best as I can. I'm not a godly no-damage SL1 naked-type of player, just a normal, experienced Souls player, but maybe that can help?

So, I believe I am at the final boss,
Slave Knight Gael
. His health pool is super large, and he seems to break any shield I have. Any tips? I saw that he is weak to frost or poison. Is there a frost buff available as a consumable? Probably not...
How high is your shield stability? I used a regular medium shield (Shield of Want or Lothric Knight Shield, IIRC, about 62-65 stability when maxed out) with 100% physical block and I found it very helpful, though I mostly focused on dodging as the hitboxes are fairly generous for dodging. Still, he's fast at times, so emergency blocking helped me. Sometimes his heavier attacks would insta-drain my stamina, but fortunately they usually had a long enough recovery that I wouldn't get immediately hit by another attack.

Yeah the run by everything and stealth sections are so antithetical to the way the souls series gravitates towards slow exploration.
I don't know why people say this. Using stealth (thief ring, anyone?) and running-past-the-enemies have been common strategies for difficult sections since Demon's Souls.

I swear, every time people complain about something being "the antithesis of Souls", they're naming something that's been present since day 0. xD

wiibomb

oh boy... just finished
Gael
of NG+3 and what a fight... I'm amazed at how good it is...

Also, it took me longer than it should to realize the
thunders always fall the floor the skulls hits

I finished that, and I gave the
pigment
to the
girl
, do I have anything else I should check?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hands are still shaking. Some player called "I don't like you" was summoned and I thought it was a troll player but he had a giant hammer and fucked that optional boss up in the face.

And now it's over... :'(

Toxi

Banned
Also If you used the white branch in the swamp you get the
humanity
first time
No you don't.

Source: I used he white branch like six or so times while figuring out an easy strategy to take down the swamp giant. Became a crystal or ringed cross each time.
This isn't true.
I read that on some guide, went in the swamp, used the branch, I turned into a pot. Tried again, turned into that circular-cross stone thingy. Only on like the 4th time, with my feet planted firmly in the swamp the whole time I tried, did I turn into that humanity sprite.

Besides, even if it worked first try,
how are you supposed to know that you have to use the spell/item in the swamp and then slooooowly make your way to the secret door? What is the significance of being in that swamp that'd give you that hint?
I remain convinced that this puzzle is nonsensical garbage.
I'd be fine with the puzzle if there was some indication that
you could turn into Humanity in the swamp. Like some Humanity floating around the area. Every other object you can turn into with Chameleon is something found in the area. Being able to turn into Humanity even though there's no Humanity as far as I can see in the swamp doesn't make sense.

jviggy43

I swear, every time people complain about something being "the antithesis of Souls", they're naming something that's been present since day 0. xD

running past enemies have always been apart of the series but was never necessarily mandatory. This DLC almost makes it a necessity rather than allowing you the option of both. There is a huge difference between saying you can always play this way and forcing you to play this way.

oh boy... just finished
Gael
of NG+3 and what a fight... I'm amazed at how good it is...

Also, it took me longer than it should to realize the
thunders always fall the floor the skulls hits

I finished that, and I gave the
pigment
to the
girl
, do I have anything else I should check?

Gael is so so good. That fight alone guarantees I will play through again with my other builds.

EasyMode

I've been co-oping the optional boss for a few hours, and I don't think I've seen as many hosts die this much to any other boss in the Souls games. Although I haven't played Bloodborne yet. O&S and Aldrich are up there for killing hosts, but this guy takes the cake. It's usually the
tail swipe or the laser beam
that gets them.

Also for some reason the NPC summon has a habit of dying immediately upon entering the boss fight.

I'm having fun though. It's really satisfying when the host adapts and survives.

Top Bottom