• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boat

I saw that Osu!Stream was mentioned, but it got a little bit of flak. Any reason why? The game is a REALLY awesome clone of EBA. Between that, Cytus, and Jubeat (Jukebeat), the iOS is starting to really put together a nice range of Bemani titles available.

Asides from the super poor track selection, it just felt off to me. The rhythm of the "taps" didn't connect with the music as it does with EBA and Ouendan. At least that's what I got from it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Asides from the super poor track selection, it just felt off to me. The rhythm of the "taps" didn't connect with the music as it does with EBA and Ouendan. At least that's what I got from it.

Track selection is definitely lacking, yeah. And while the taps don't line up with the main theme or whatever, at least their in time! :p But I see what you're saying. Maybe this will inspire a dev to take it to the next level.

And regarding Run Roo Run, I was going to buy it, but the talk of how easy it is really puts me off a bit.

chunk3rvd

Is that SkyFire browser available on FreeMyApps any good? How is the flash compatability? I read that it supports sites like justin.tv. How about megavideo playback?

jlevel13

I saw that Osu!Stream was mentioned, but it got a little bit of flak. Any reason why?

While it gets the EBA mechanics basically right, it's kind of dry and doesn't have much personality or any charm. I mean, I think it plays fine, but it doesn't really measure up to the greatness of EBA/Ouendan or even come close...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
At first I was disappointed when I heard Run Roo Run was mostly casual and not very difficult, but then I tried the extreme levels and some of them, due to the nature of the game design, makes it pretty frustrating. I'm more entertained just trying to shred off time in the 'casual' levels

Chopper

At first I was disappointed when I heard Run Roo Run was mostly casual and not very difficult, but then I tried the extreme levels and some of them, due to the nature of the game design, makes it pretty frustrating. I'm more entertained just trying to shred off time in the 'casual' levels
I know what you mean. There was one level where one of those little platforms that disappear under your feet kept crumbling instantaneously? It felt like a glitch. Got past it on my 3075th go...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Got my score up to 760 on Super Crate Box, was aiming for at least 1000 and was doing fine until I got dumb with the laser. :'(

The difficulty is all in perfecting the levels and shaving of miliseconds.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm pretty sure if the disc gun was eliminated in Super Crate Box, I could go on forever. The disc gun always kills me.

What do the numbers mean on the stats page in SCB for the enemies? Here's my stats just for fun (the # of minutes can't be accurate...lol)

vBXVi.jpg

4r7Hl.jpg

I'm pretty sure if the disc gun was eliminated in Super Crate Box, I could go on forever. The disc gun always kills me.

What do the numbers mean on the stats page in SCB for the enemies? Here's my stats just for fun (the # of minutes can't be accurate...lol)

It's:

Number of enemies killed
Number of times killed by enemy

New high-quality free game out today: Lol-A-Coaster. Game is developed by Pachinko Pictures in Melbourne, Australia and its a sorta-not-really advergame. Sorta-not-really in that its actually GOOD.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKE9gIregDY

Download Link
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/lol-a-coaster/id490374305

DJ8xx.png

mWYc9.png

Race 'Chupa Chuck' on a fast paced high-octane roller coaster ride around the world!
Zoom along the rails chomping Chupa Chups to gain speed and uncover the mystery of sweet rides!
Remember to beat the clock and try not to suck in this FREE FULL VERSION GAME!

*Full version game - speed along the roller coasters of the world in highly detailed levels
*Customisable Coasters - mix and match over 20 different cars to create your custom roller coaster
*Secret Sweet Rides - discover unique 'Sweet Rides' by combining different coaster cars
*Available for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad in HD!

My impressions:

(Disclosure: I know the devs but I'm not involved in the game)

+ Its much much much MUCH better than usual advergames - in that its an actual high-quality game first and foremost. The product is limited to background images and theme elements. So its unobtrusive enough that you can go 'oh yeah', but then be reminded that its a free game. The polar opposite of Doritos FaceCrunch.
+ Simple mechanic, deep dynamics - its just about avoiding the blocks with the warning system (think Solipskier) but grabbing as many items as possible.
+ Unlocking means something - there's cars to unlock and combine together to form new roller-coasters with special properties. These are hinted at in places but otherwise you just have to experiment.
+ Four reasonably long levels. The meta-game is about grabbing points, and its an aggregate so you get to a certain amount after 2-3 playthroughs, unlocking more cars.

Edit: Yes, it was old news :(

Not sure if this is old news, but:

The iPhone version of Soul Calibur will be available for download on the 19th, Namco Bandai announced today.

The iOS port of the classic arcade and Dreamcast fighting game features all 19 fighters and a mode list that includes arcade battle, time attack, survival, extra survival, practice and museum modes. Of these, time attack, survival and extra survival are compatible with Game Center's Leader Boards

Taken from: http://andriasang.com/comznn/scios_date/

GeekyDad

Anybody play EnbornX? It seems to be a relatively old game. I'm guessing when it says "relative touch" controls, it's the equivalent of how Cave shooters control?

Fusebox

Banned
Anybody play EnbornX? It seems to be a relatively old game. I'm guessing when it says "relative touch" controls, it's the equivalent of how Cave shooters control?

I downloaded it in anticipation of my iCade arriving but haven't tried it yet. Love the art style though.

GeekyDad

I downloaded it in anticipation of my iCade arriving but haven't tried it yet. Love the art style though.

Do you happen to know if what they mean by "relative touch" is simply moving your avatar anywhere on the screen, a la DoDonPachi Res etc.? I know there's also a virtual analog stick, but I read somewhere they recently added "relative touch" controls as an option. I just wanted to be sure that's what that was before I downloaded it. Not a huge fan of those virtual control sticks.

Shaneus

Edit: Yes, it was old news :(

Not sure if this is old news, but:

The iPhone version of Soul Calibur will be available for download on the 19th, Namco Bandai announced today.

The iOS port of the classic arcade and Dreamcast fighting game features all 19 fighters and a mode list that includes arcade battle, time attack, survival, extra survival, practice and museum modes. Of these, time attack, survival and extra survival are compatible with Game Center's Leader Boards

Taken from: http://andriasang.com/comznn/scios_date/
Damnit, no story mode again?

Sotha Sil

What is everyone scoring on Super Crate Box on iPad? I seriously can't break 20. My goodness.

I couldn't get past 10 at first. It takes a LOT of practice. Play it safe: abuse the mines, and clear as many monsters as possible when you get a good weapon. Once you find your flow, you'll get to 100 in no time. Still, I won't deny that the controls are incredibly awkward at times.

Is there Any good apps that are similar to a tamagotchi?

Hatchi is great I have been raising a little monster for two days. The game itself is super straight forward and easy and the presentation is great. It has an old retro feeling to it, all the graphics are greyscale, and fits the feel well.

Fox Mulder

Run Roo Run deserves it's own thread. I haven't sunk as much time into an iOS game as in this - I just spent the last hour and a half chasing hundredths of seconds to get #1 in chapter 2.

Yeah, I sat here trying to shave off time and got top 25 so far. Sucks about the leaderboards being split between iPad and iPhone versions though.

Zzoram

Hatchi is great I have been raising a little monster for two days. The game itself is super straight forward and easy and the presentation is great. It has an old retro feeling to it, all the graphics are greyscale, and fits the feel well.

How did you even find that app? It came out only a few days ago and hasn't made waves.

How did you even find that app? It came out only a few days ago and hasn't made waves.

I read about it on Touch Arcade, they did a little scoop on the game. I had some money left over from Christmas iTunes GC and decided to try it. It has been worth it so far, hopefully the devs support the game further with some content updates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom