• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Casper Mattresses Legit Or Just Marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a week plus of sleeping on the Casper, I have nothing but good things to say. I'm going to hold off for a couple weeks on a full review, but right now I have to say I have NO back pain waking up in the morning like I used to. Used to be almost debilitating but now it's just... not there.

The bed is super comfortable. I still toss and turn and don't sleep through the night. I would say I get the same amount of sleep that I did on my old mattress, just with no pain in the morning. And that is good enough for me.

I'll give my full thoughts in a couple of weeks.

Anyone try out the leesa mattress? Supposed to be softer I hear

There are some reviews on youtube. It seems like the Casper uses higher quality materials, but the leesa is supposed to be a little softer. For me the Casper is perfect. It is soft on top, but firm in the middle. It feels kind of like sleeping on a marshmallow.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Awesome turbowaffles. Anyone else that got theirs care to comment? I'm still loving mine. I sleep really well on it.
How many referrals have you received? How's the pay out work?

How many referrals have you received? How's the pay out work?

They give you a gift card through Tango for $50 and you can use that to buy a gift card for places like Amazon, Best Buy and others. You usually receive it a few days after getting the referral. A little misleading as their marketing makes it seem like you get cash or a credit back.

aparisi2274

Had my first full night sleep on my Casper last night, and I have to say, I am impressed.

Took some adjusting and getting used to, but when I finally fell asleep, I did not find myself waking up as much, and when I did get up this morning, I had very little backpain.

Lets see how night #2 goes...

clav

Had my first full night sleep on my Casper last night, and I have to say, I am impressed.

Took some adjusting and getting used to, but when I finally fell asleep, I did not find myself waking up as much, and when I did get up this morning, I had very little backpain.

Lets see how night #2 goes...

Post an update yearly.

First impressions are usually positive.

Post an update yearly.

First impressions are usually positive.

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and still love it. My girlfriend loves it too when she spends the night. She was recently in a car wreck and has lower back pain and she said it went away sleeping on the mattress.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I've been on mine for 6 months or so now and still love it.

I had to adjust to it during the first month or so, and I was on the fence on keeping it, as it was firmer than I was used to, but it's been terrific since it "clicked" for my body.

BamfMeat

You live in downtown Phoenix?

Edit: Well damn, there Showroom is right next to where my Parents trucking company used to be on 4th and buckeye. It looks like the city uses it for buses now, but it used to be Hurley Trucking before they moved out to Deer Valley, Small world.

Yes! I do - 9th St and Van Buren.

No I don't live with hookers, thank you.

Also, we ended up getting the Tuft and Needle. It took me about 3 days to fully get used to it, but I can safely say I sleep SO FUCKING DEEP on this motherfucker.

So.

Fucking.

Deep.

They give you a gift card through Tango for $50 and you can use that to buy a gift card for places like Amazon, Best Buy and others. You usually receive it a few days after getting the referral. A little misleading as their marketing makes it seem like you get cash or a credit back.

Is there a limit on the amount of referrals you can get? The entire process seems rather sketchy. Looking at T&N mainly cause it is much cheaper, if we don't like it then we could always try out the Casper later.

clav

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and still love it. My girlfriend loves it too when she spends the night. She was recently in a car wreck and has lower back pain and she said it went away sleeping on the mattress.

I bought a mattress (different brand, latex upper [not a topper], foam base) and loved it for an year. Then it started to sag, and my back pain returned.

If I were to buy a new mattress again that doesn't use springs, I would get the firmest one as I heard manufacturers can only go softer from the default base. I chose something closer to firm (above average).

I think due to the nature how mattresses are built these days (i.e. not rotatable/flippable because materials are layered in one way), I think we are going to be replacing them more often.

gcubed

I bought a mattress (different brand, latex upper [not a topper], foam base) and loved it for an year. Then it started to sag, and my back pain returned.

If I were to buy a new mattress again that doesn't use springs, I would get the firmest one as I heard manufacturers can only go softer from the default base. I chose something closer to firm (above average).

I think due to the nature how mattresses are built these days (i.e. not rotatable/flippable because materials are layered in one way), I think we are going to be replacing them more often.

yup, i bought the mattress before this and it was great, but basically shot around 5 years. I saved money with a budget brand thinking it was all the same. I was wrong.

Ultimately, the reason i went with casper vs other more expensive solutions is that I can buy 4 caspers for the same price as a higher quality mattress. Even if it turns to shit at 5 years, i can get 20 years out of them for the same cost.

Is there a limit on the amount of referrals you can get? The entire process seems rather sketchy. Looking at T&N mainly cause it is much cheaper, if we don't like it then we could always try out the Casper later.

Yes, you are limited to 5 referrals. You can still use the link to receive a discount buying one after that though. I chose Casper due to all the positive word of mouth and it uses higher quality components.

I think it has to do a lot of the thickness of the foam core. Some of the cheaper memory foam mattresses use a thinner core which causes that. I believe Casper uses a good size foam core, but don't have the numbers in front of me right now. The Casper really isn't thick enough to sag though honestly. This is way thinner than my pillow top I had before.

clav

I think it has to do a lot of the thickness of the foam core. Some of the cheaper memory foam mattresses use a thinner core which causes that. I believe Casper uses a good size foam core, but don't have the numbers in front of me right now. The Casper really isn't thick enough to sag though honestly. This is way thinner than my pillow top I had before.

After looking at both descriptions, I see the specs appear to be the same.

Remember, I did say the mattress had latex with a foam base. Memory foam mattresses do not have latex.

Again, I look forward to yearly reviews. Hopefully, they are positive, but I'm doubtful.

yup, i bought the mattress before this and it was great, but basically shot around 5 years. I saved money with a budget brand thinking it was all the same. I was wrong.

Ultimately, the reason i went with casper vs other more expensive solutions is that I can buy 4 caspers for the same price as a higher quality mattress. Even if it turns to shit at 5 years, i can get 20 years out of them for the same cost.

Yeah, I think eventually when I save up enough, I'll look into mattresses again. That sounds right.

toohectic

I've been thinking about getting a new mattress lately. How does the Casper compare to the T&N in terms of quality? Is the extra $100 or so worth it for the Casper? The T&N has a similar return policy, and the reviews on Amazon are routinely 5 star. But given that Amazon doesn't carry Casper (or Leesa), it's hard to compare the reviews. I would have no problem paying the extra premium for the Casper or Leesa mattress if it's justified. Any comments from T&N or Leesa owners?

I've been thinking about getting a new mattress lately. How does the Casper compare to the T&N in terms of quality? Is the extra $100 or so worth it for the Casper? The T&N has a similar return policy, and the reviews on Amazon are routinely 5 star. But given that Amazon doesn't carry Casper (or Leesa), it's hard to compare the reviews. I would have no problem paying the extra premium for the Casper or Leesa mattress if it's justified. Any comments from T&N or Leesa owners?

There is a video on YouTube comparing them. From what I've seen the Casper is a little firmer and uses higher quality materials.

See tuft and needle being mentioned. I have a tuft and needle king size. At the time it was 600, I think it's 700 now.

It's a firm mattress for sure, but comfortable. Really nice cover that comes with it. The goal has yellowed as you'd expect but there's no tearing or sinking happening a year later.

Even if you want memory foam you can buy a tuft and needle mattress and a memory foam topper and still save hundreds, so I recommend it for firm mattress wanters or people looking to save money overall.

Haven't tried Casper but this wave of cheap mattresses seems to be the real deal. There are a few other brands doing this. And then there's always ikea.

See tuft and needle being mentioned. I have a tuft and needle king size. At the time it was 600, I think it's 700 now.

It's a firm mattress for sure, but comfortable. Really nice cover that comes with it. The goal has yellowed as you'd expect but there's no tearing or sinking happening a year later.

Even if you want memory foam you can buy a tuft and needle mattress and a memory foam topper and still save hundreds, so I recommend it for firm mattress wanters or people looking to save money overall.

Haven't tried Casper but this wave of cheap mattresses seems to be the real deal. There are a few other brands doing this. And then there's always ikea.

Yeah, it's good that there are cheaper options out there, since Tempurpedic seems insanely overpriced. I feel like $800 I used for the mattress after the $50 discount from using the referral is a damn good deal for what I got with the Casper, especially considering the materials used compared to those mattresses, which use some pretty nasty chemicals in them.

Well here is a Casper customer support story. I sent an email letting them know I had a few loose threads around the edges on the mattress cover that came with the mattress. After sending pics to them showing I wasn't lying they are sending me a new mattress cover for free and crediting me back $75 from the mattress purchase. They also apologized profusely. Very easy to deal with and a quick response.

Just ordered a King size Casper with part of our tax refund, thanks for the refer and $50 off BoboBrazil.

Really looking forward to getting it in the mail, we've had our current mattress for about eight years. Off to Ikea tomorrow to snag a bed.

I'll post my impressions when it comes in, they are on a couple day delay due to a high amount of orders (probably people spending tax refunds).

Refer link for anyone interested.

http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6140394639897622049

Aren't memory foam mattresses terrible for sex? Because they just absorb all movement, or something?

No joke: We're pretty sure our daughter was conceived on a hardwood floor for this reason.

We bought a $5500 latex mattress from Bloomingdales and returned it after 10 days because the sex just wasn't . . . right.

Sex feels good on the Casper at least. It won't give you bounce like a really cheap spring mattress if you are used to that though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We should do a chain referral instead of having just one person profit from everyone else's purchase.

Ordered my King Casper using BoboBrazil's referral, it took a couple extra days due to high volume. This wasn't a big deal for us because we needed to get a bed frame from Ikea which we just did the other day. Bed is assembled and the Casper mattress has been awesome. Some people have said that the mattress has a slight odor, neither my wife or I noticed anything.

We had been using a Queen pillow top traditional mattress and the Casper was such a nice change. We have gotten a bit older and were really happy to have a slightly firmer mattress. The Casper is perfect if you don't want something too firm but need some extra support. Without a doubt one of the best things about it is the fact that I don't toss/turn during the night anymore. It is also really comfortable regardless of position (wife sleeps on her stomach/side, I sleep on my back/stomach). It does sleep slightly warmer than a traditional mattress, which just means I get to turn down the AC a bit more.

UPS destroyed the box in shipping, which concerned us a bit; but, upon opening it we noticed that there was zero damage. Casper shipped it in a thick Tyvek covering and a plastic bag.

The only other issue is trying to get Bobo his credit for referral, not sure what is happening but I've contacted them to fix it. I think the only delay is the fact that Casper doesn't just issue a credit, they have to contact a 3rd party (the credit is a gift card to a Amazon/retailers/restaurants).

If you are willing to try something new and need a mattress I cannot recommend the Casper enough. A King size mattress for $900 is exceedingly solid (you'll need to use a refer to get $50 off). BoboBrazil has a link up or you can use mine:

http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6145120679933557065

Their website describes the firmness of their mattress as somewhere between a piece of Jello and a dense novel.

Well that certainly narrows it the fuck down.

I just ordered one of these today. I used your referral, Bobo. Can't wait, and I'll post impressions when I get it.
We went out this afternoon and tried out a bunch of different ones. There was one we really liked called iMattress, but when we looked online, it appears to be a cheap piece of junk. I checked the reviews on Consumer Reports too, Capser ranks pretty good for both back and side sleeping. I'm hoping that's the case, because out current mattress is about 14 years old or so, and it's killing my back.
My wife and I both really dig this kind of mattress though. Once we laid on a few other brands in stores, it wasn't even worth considering the old fashioned spring mattresses.

Now I need to find a low profile box spring..

Ceebs

I just ordered one of these today. I used your referral, Bobo. Can't wait, and I'll post impressions when I get it.
We went out this afternoon and tried out a bunch of different ones. There was one we really liked called iMattress, but when we looked online, it appears to be a cheap piece of junk. I checked the reviews on Consumer Reports too, Capser ranks pretty good for both back and side sleeping. I'm hoping that's the case, because out current mattress is about 14 years old or so, and it's killing my back.
My wife and I both really dig this kind of mattress though. Once we laid on a few other brands in stores, it wasn't even worth considering the old fashioned spring mattresses.

You do not need a box spring with the Casper mattress at all.

Thanks and congrats! Don't forget to post impressions once you get it. I don't use a box spring with mine. I just have it laying directly on the ground, but it is kind of weird sleeping close to the floor if you are worried about any wandering bugs creeping up next to you lol

Bboy AJ

Used your referral code.

So I went out to their showroom in Hollywood Hills the other day. Totally sold me on the mattress. Just ordered one and can't wait for it to show up! Here is my referral code if anyone wants $50 off :)

http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6155151505399650822
Awesome, thanks. Let's spread the referral love. Also, I bought a mattress protector for my Casper. Pretty cheap and protects against liquid spills.

EYEL1NER

Nice that I found this thread. I'm going back to the states in a couple weeks and my bed back there is pretty terrible. It's a spring mattress with a pillow-top and only five years old but it causes me quite a bit of discomfort. A while back when I was home I kind of launched myself onto it horizontally, like one would throw themself onto a couch. I'm a pretty big dude, so this fucked up all of the springs on my side of the bed and it sags something fierce. My wife sleeps on that side when I am away and doesn't mind it but I would like to get some good sleep when I am back home. My sleep apnea does quite a number on me and leaves me pretty tired at all times but I can't imagine that bed is doing me any favors.
So last night I started looking at mattresses online and was doing some research. I looked up Tempur-Pedics and decided pretty quickly that I would not be able to bring myself to blow that kind of money on a bed that I could hate. I went and read some of the info on SleepLiketheDead and decided that latex seemed like it might be the best thing to try. So I was planning on trying to find somewhere when I got home to try a latex bed out and if I couldn't I would just buy this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051AQXZK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Casper and Tuft both sound pretty interesting though. And the 100 night trial definitely sounds cool if it would end up being super-easy to handle the return if unsatisfied (I'll be on vacation for 7 weeks, so more than enough time to test it out). I don't know which I would prefer, a more firm or soft mattress. I need to make the two-hour drive to the Charlotte IKEA store while home for some things so I might sample a couple latex beds of varying firmness and then make a decision on which bed to order after that but I think I will get one of the two mattresses talked about in here. That is assuming I like the way the beds I try out feel, of course; I suppose I could not be too keen on a foam mattress after laying on one.

I will probably get rid of my boxspring too. Are more of you using box springs or using foundations? Or just placing it directly on a some rails or a frame? And do any of you know of any cool beds to utilize a mattress like this with? I just have a frame under my boxspring. I know a platform bed would work well but I was seeing wooden beds in pictures last night that were built up around the foundation and looked like they were there more for looks than stability, just a big perimeter of wood surrounding the foundation and mattress. Any suggestions for something inexpensive to pair one with?

Three months of sleeping on this thing, I'll now post my results.

First, my setup is the queen size Casper mattress on top of this foundation with brushed microfiber bedsheets, a goose down comforter, and regular pillows I got at K-Mart, lol.

Moving from a regular twin spring mattress on top of a box spring was super weird when I first started sleeping on the Casper. For the first week it was difficult to get to sleep. I would toss and turn even more then usual, but even during that trying time I noticed my back pain was slowly getting better. And after the first week, it was clear sailing. Once I got used to the Casper I found the following to be true:

1. I am sleeping better and throughout the night, not waking up a bunch of times

2. I can sleep on my back now! I'm overweight and for the longest time I just couldn't sleep on my back because I found it uncomfortable and if I managed to fall asleep I would wake up at night choking because I suffer from nasal drips. I don't know what the mattress did, but that has ceased and now I sleep on my back 90% of the time.

3. I get to sleep faster. I still don't fall right asleep as soon as I hop in bed, but I fall asleep so much faster then I did on the old spring mattress.

4. I wake up feeling generally more refreshed then I did on the old mattress.

The only downside to the Casper that I've noticed for me personally is that it sleeps a bit warm. Sometimes I'll have to move to a different area because the mattress just gets too warm. But I've heard this can be dealt with by either changing to cotton sheets or getting a latex mattress topper. I'm looking into those now.

So there you have it, that's my final opinion on the Casper mattress.

I would also be absolutely happy to answer any questions you might have about the mattress.

grate

Curious to see if everyone is still enjoying their mattresses? On the fence, but very interested in purchasing a Casper.

Curious to see if everyone is still enjoying their mattresses? On the fence, but very interested in purchasing a Casper.

I've had mine for a few months and still very happy. I sleep really good on it. They really try to take care of you customer service wise. They sent me a new mattress cover for free. I also got into their casper labs program, so hopefully I'll get to beta test some cool stuff they have coming out in the future.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've had mine for a few months and still like it, though I am still experiencing issues with neck and head pain here and there. The weak link might be the pillows, of which I've tried a few but never been able to find one that seemed to work perfectly.

Does anyone know the company that the digital gift cards are sent from after someone signs up with your referral link? I can't seem to find it >>

Edit: Nevermind, found it :D They're Tango Cards.

Lace

I'm now in the market for a new bed. Hate to necro bump this thread but reviews months later are what I'm interested in. Those who own these beds what are your opinions? I'm stuck between Leesa, Casper and Tuff & Needle.

andymcc

Banned
I love my Casper! I used to have pretty bad snoring and shifting problems in my sleep and they have been dramatically decreased since using it. Can't recommend it enough.

I bought a Tuft and Needle in the beginning of the year. Comfortable as fuck. In the past couple of years I've been having back problems and the bed helps out a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom