• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM PS4 / Switch Comparison Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the most noticeable downgrade is the ambient occlusion, but looks amazing nevertheless.

Please be 60fps for maximum portable DOOM gloriusness

Hard to believe people owning a Switch have not played DOOM, yet. It was a great game. I bet it will look good, regardless. Looks to be a great port so far.
Why is that hard to believe? Loads of people haven't played it and even more have only owned Nintendo consoles. It's not like it's Gta popular or anything. But the more people that play this the better.

scitek

I really don't think that was footage from the Switch version of the game. To me, it looks like a generic, compressed, 30fps clip Bethesda provided after Nintendo requested "a few seconds of footage."

Why are some people incapable of detecting sarcasm?

Honestly how is it so easy to tell? It's through text...are we supposed to read the poster's history to find out if it's sarcasm? Why even bother when it just derails a thread just for a "HAH Got you I was only kidding guyz" kind of post. Makes no sense.

Tsosie

That is not too bad. The most important thing for me with this is going to be framerate. I rushed through Doom on PS4, would love to hop back in to explore more of the levels.

You should compare full size loseless screenshots, not blurry stamp-like images.

Unfortunately, certain trailers in the Nintendo Direct are horribly compressed to the point where lossless screenshots still result in a blurry mess. Rocket League is another one.

I really don't think that was footage from the Switch version of the game. To me, it looks like a generic, compressed, 30fps clip Bethesda provided after Nintendo requested "a few seconds of footage."

If they are fine using footage from another version for DOOM why didn't they do so for Wolfenstein 2?

The game launches within the next 3 months, I don't know why it's hard to believe they have footage of it.

scitek

If they are fine using footage from another version for DOOM why didn't they do so for Wolfenstein 2?

The game launches within the next 3 months, I don't know why it's hard to believe they have footage of it.

It's not hard to believe they have footage of it, but that Switch footage doesn't look like pristine direct capture like everything else in the Direct, to me. It looks really compressed, like compressed once, then compressed again by YouTube. I could be wrong, obviously.

from my pov the jedi are evil

Probably laughed more than I should've lol

God, I'm taking lots of 6+ hours trips, and the thought of playing DOOM during them... I need a Switch ASAP. As long as it is 60fps I'm good. It will look better than the SNES port of the original.

OryoN

Wolfenstein 2 is more likely to be 30fps, but I just can't see a 30fps Doom cutting it. The new Doom's gameplay was meant to be fast and furious. You can tell this was a huge internal priority. So much so, that decently powerful PCs, don't just hit the 60fps mark, but shatter it completely, and with good IQ to boot!

On top of that, the engine is scalable as heck, so I'd imagine Bethesda would have no problems downgrading the sh!t out of the game to maintain 60fps(if it even comes down to such drastic cuts), especially if they expect folks to double-dip for portability. That said, I think the Switch deserves the benefit of the doubt, at least a bit. In its brief time on the market, it has more than a couple beautiful 60fps games running on it already, with more in the pipeline. Some of those games damn good sitting next to similarly styled current-gen games(Fast RMX vs Redout, anyone?).

The point is; It's not like any of these PS4-XB1 caliber games would need to look like PS2 era games in order to hit 60fps on the Switch. Fifa 18 doesn't look as good as the PS4 version, but it sure as hell didn't require EA to scale back two whole generations to get the incredible results they got. The tiny console has proven itself - since launch - to be well beyond the level of power where 60fps automatically means a game can't look good at the same time too.

I guess having an option between 30fps w/better IQ, and 60fps with certain downgrades is one way to "please everyone." Still, consider me the following camp:
#Team_SwitchDoom@60fps!

jett

D-Member
It's not hard to believe they have footage of it, but that Switch footage doesn't look like pristine direct capture like everything else in the Direct, to me. It looks really compressed, like compressed once, then compressed again by YouTube. I could be wrong, obviously.

It just looks really low-res. Which the game may very well be.

KageMaru

as you can see, reducing things to postage stamp size can hide things. Obviously youtube videos are shit quality to begin with.

these were captured off nintendo's youtube video losslessly.
vlcsnap-error837wms77.png

vlcsnap-error235e5s0p.png

vlcsnap-error9320vssi.png

vlcsnap-error612w8shw.png

vlcsnap-error731b8s38.png

vlcsnap-error230iosz1.png

Thanks for this. Looks great so far. With it launching this year, I doubt it'll look much better than this.

The game is superfast. No One notice the downgrades

The downgrades are very easy to notice, even on smaller screens. Even in motion the differences are clear as day.

Renna Hazel

Never got around to playing the full version, but I did like the demo on PS4. I'll pick up Doom for Switch. Not sure about W2.

If it looks like that and runs at 60fps then consider me sold.

From DF on PS4/XB1:

This highlights one area where a PS4 exhibits an advantage over Xbox One: it boasts a full 1080p output for the vast majority of the duration, with minor drops in resolution occurring in select circumstances. In contrast, Xbox One regularly struggles to hit full 1080p, more often coming in around 1472x828 or lower.

Wouldn't be surprised if Switch version is 720p to hit that target.

Chao

It's pointless to compare it to anything until someone has access to direct feed, uncompressed footage of the game.

Waiting for that obligatory Digital Foundry comparison in a few weeks.

It looks... really good. More impressive than I thought it would look.

I think... Nintendo is... actually doing great on all fronts right now? I don't want to jinx it but man, that Direct really impressed me, even though there wasn't a ton for me. There was a lot of stuff and it wasn't all/mostly shovelware.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pc version on medium (without youtube compression obv). The game is pretty tough to get clean screens due to the motion blur.

they look pretty close in thumbnails though

jacobeid

Banned
I think once the game is running on the small screen we'll all be really impressed. Once on the TV the differences will be highlighted more, but I still just think it's so cool to see this support from Bethesda.

PnCIa

You can not draw any conclusion from those low-res compressed pictures. Only that they use the same art assets, but the PS4 picture does not even remotely represent the game on that console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom