• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us Sequel in Development

Skilletor

What do you mean crappy art?

( well besides wonder woman )

How is injustice a bad art style exactly?

Bad, imo, of course. :)

I think it looks like MK. From character design to animation, it looks like MK. I think MK's art is terrible, so I think this game's art looks terrible by association. The women are the worst of it, but I don't think much of most of the character models and art in Injustice.

Village

Bad, imo, of course. :)

I think it looks like MK. From character design to animation, it looks like MK. I think MK's art is terrible, so I think this game's art looks terrible by association. The women are the worst of it, but I don't think much of most of the character models and art in Injustice.
NoNoNo, its totally your opinion.
I am just genuinely interested in why you dislike it.

While I am a fan of stuff like marvel and street fighter with its very colorful color pallet and flashy lights. I also like stuff like injustice , it reminded me of some of the darkest comics DC has had. I do agree the women that aren't Harley look, poo. I am just interested in what it is, is the character models? Designs, the aesthetic of netherealms? Would you prefer another take on it? Maybe a KI kinda thing, or a Japanese developer.

RM8

IMO it's absolutely the character models, the lack of color would be second to that. Not to mention the animation simply feels weird. Characters with capes look terrible in motion in Injustice, especially when bouncing from the ground while being rigid like action figures. It's just not very nice to see, at least to me.

Skilletor

While I am a fan of stuff like marvel and street fighter with its very colorful color pallet and flashy lights. I also like stuff like injustice , it reminded me of some of the darkest comics DC has had. I do agree the women that aren't Harley look, poo. I am just interested in what it is, is the character models? Designs, the aesthetic of netherealms? Would you prefer another take on it? Maybe a KI kinda thing, or a Japanese developer.

Nawp, I just love the comics and feel that they should have gone with something more similar to that. There are any number of comic book artist styles they could have chosen. It bothers me that it looks so close to MK.

It is definitely the design aesthetic of netherealms I dislike. It reminds me of 90s EXTTREEEEEEEEEEEME comics if that makes any sense. I don't necessarily want it to look like a japanese developer, but of course I can't help but compare it to Capcom. Just looking at the Street Fighter series you see extremely different art in each game. It bothers me that you could pretty much just drop a these takes on the DC characters into an MK game and it wouldn't look out of place.

Khezu

As someone who actually really loves the way MK9 looks, Injustice was just off to me.

I thought MK9 with its 90's edgy comic book look straddled a very fine line between cool and gaudy.
With Injustice I feel like they went over the line more often then not, and a lot of characters look silly and over designed.

I still think it was a mistake for NRS to design both costumes for every character, they should have just designed the Injustice universe costumes, then the normal universe should have just had everyone wearing their new52 look.

Yeah I really enjoyed Mortal Kombat 9 but I couldn't get into Injustice. The game should have been designed differently. Faster, more comic book style, more flashy.

Skilletor

As someone who actually really loves the way MK9 looks, Injustice was just off to me.

I thought MK9 with its 90's edgy comic book look straddled a very fine line between cool and gaudy.
With Injustice I feel like they went over the line more often then not, and a lot of characters look silly and over designed.

I still think it was a mistake for NRS to design both costumes for every character, they should have just designed the Injustice universe costumes, then the normal universe should have just had everyone wearing their new52 look.

Yes, my feelings exactly. :)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Now all they need to do for Injustice 2 is make it feel like an actual Superhero fighting game. Almost 50% of the cast is able to fly and only 1 character has an actual flight mode but no flight combos. Come on NRS. Game felt like a different take on MK but with Superhero skins, and that's coming from a person that actually loves Injustice. They need to take some inspiration from Marvel vs Capcom if they have to.

Also improve the animation of course. They been getting better each game just like their woman models have starting to get better game to game. You get manly character models like Raven and Wonder Woman but then you got good female character models like Catwoman, Killer Frost, and Batgirl(although we can't see her face).

Can't wait for the day NRS stops making games where their characters move and animate like action figures/robots

Khezu

Now all they need to do for Injustice 2 is make it feel like an actual Superhero fighting game. Almost 50% of the cast is able to fly and only 1 character has an actual flight mode but no flight combos. Come on NRS. Game felt like a different take on MK but with Superhero skins, and that's coming from a person that actually loves Injustice. They need to take some inspiration from Marvel vs Capcom if they have to.

Also improve the animation of course. They been getting better each game just like their woman models have starting to get better game to game. You get manly character models like Raven and Wonder Woman but then you got good female character models like Catwoman, Killer Frost, and Batgirl(although we can't see her face).

Can't wait for the day NRS stops making games where their characters don't move and animate like action figures/robots

A very early version of the game had air combo strings, but they ended up scrapping them.
Fuck Hawkgirl and her flight mode.

Village

I agree , I do think their costumes should have been designed by others.
I do still like their costumes as is though.

New 52 shazam in 3d would be SOO hype.

Nawp, I just love the comics and feel that they should have gone with something more similar to that. There are any number of comic book artist styles they could have chosen. It bothers me that it looks so close to MK.

It is definitely the design aesthetic of netherealms I dislike. It reminds me of 90s EXTTREEEEEEEEEEEME comics if that makes any sense. I don't necessarily want it to look like a japanese developer, but of course I can't help but compare it to Capcom. Just looking at the Street Fighter series you see extremely different art in each game. It bothers me that you could pretty much just drop a these takes on the DC characters into an MK game and it wouldn't look out of place.

I get ya, I understand.
And on a level I do agree the MK guys would benefit from learning one other art style.
But I like what came out.

Though I think Street fighter series, isn't so much of " a different art style" rather than the evolution of one art style, that different enough to satisfy . But that's a talk for fgc weekly.

Some Nobody

I thought WB Montreal were making a Suicide Squad game?

I'm thinking they are.

How crazy would it be if it was DC vs Marvel?

Honestly? I'd rather have this:

412ctTA.jpg

I quit following the comics after about 15 (?) issues. What other major players in the story have not made it into the first game?

I only read the collected volumes, so I only have the first 6. Vol 2 is 7-12. I'm not even sure what the game roster is, to be honest.

I hope they have actual alternate colors this time. I don't get NetherRealm's concept of alternate colors. "Yes, the main color will be red, and the alternate color will be slightly darker red!"

shaowebb

I quit following the comics after about 15 (?) issues. What other major players in the story have not made it into the first game?

Batwoman, Captain Cold made an appearance with his own new look, Captain Atom, Kalibak, and I think maybe Black Lightning but I can't remember for sure.

I know in game we have models for Deadshot, Parasite, Gorilla Grodd, Mister Terrific, Dr. Fate, Dr. Midnight, and I think a few more.Also they had originally planned Black Canary and fans voted heavily for Red Hood, and Static. Plus the mobile game has Darkseid now...more importantly the mobile game has Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman alt though.

Some Nobody

I hope they have actual alternate colors this time. I don't get NetherRealm's concept of alternate colors. "Yes, the main color will be red, and the alternate color will be slightly darker red!"

Didn't Injustice just have flat out completely different costumes? Or am I mistaken?

J-Tier

Batwoman, Captain Cold made an appearance with his own new look, Captain Atom, Kalibak, and I think maybe Black Lightning but I can't remember for sure.

I know in game we have models for Deadshot, Parasite, Gorilla Grodd, Mister Terrific, Dr. Fate, Dr. Midnight, and I think a few more.Also they had originally planned Black Canary and fans voted heavily for Red Hood, and Static. Plus the mobile game has Darkseid now...more importantly the mobile game has Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman alt though.

Darkseid is probably guaranteed. Black Canary would probably be next in terms of probability. Then Red Hood and Static.

Then I'd dare say Deadshot because of the push for the Suicide Squad by DC.

Khezu

Kyle and Guy show up.

Though Kyle...
Sinestro and other Yellow Lanterns quarter him in space.

Village

I think thats more DC, telling them not to do it.

Either way its odd, because super heroes tend to have buchnes of outfits with different color schemes, they could just throw on.

Caffeine

so mortal kombat 10 is coming this year ? e3 please! also I'm glad injustice is one of my favorite fighting games hope they change the clash system.

J-Tier

I think thats more DC, telling them not to do it.

Either way its odd, because super heroes tend to have buchnes of outfits with different color schemes, they could just throw on.

This is the case. A good example would be Sonic in Smash Bros, the Sonic team wouldn't allow major changes to the character's color so only his armbands and a few accents were different colors. Otherwise, he was just several shades of blue. DC has tight control over the look of the characters too, though as Village says...there are so many alt. colors to draw from, I don't see why that was a problem.

Some Nobody

Kyle and Guy show up.

Though Kyle...
Sinestro and other Yellow Lanterns quarter him in space.

Ugh. DC annoys the crap out of me sometimes.

so mortal kombat 10 is coming this year ? e3 please! also I'm glad injustice is one of my favorite fighting games hope they change the clash system.

MK10 is most certainly not coming this year. That rumor was probably wrong. Unless Injustice outsold MK9, they went into production on MK10.

Village

Sonic I can Kinda understand, because they may want to actually use a different color sonic for a thing, ( scourge ) then again that could have just been a cool reference.

The pokemon peoples were pickey with colors too, thats why shiny lucario isn't alt. ( I think they regret his shiny color, I would too its prettty ugly )

If I were to hazard a guess about dc, Like marvel these games help sell those movies, comics and cartoons they like making. And unlike Marvel they haven't been the best , so maybe they wanted a game with basic stuff in it. So they wouldn't confuse people. Then again, they are alternate costumes and you could just have a display mode that gives you info on what the costume is where it came from and where you can buy it.

I dunno its just kinda silly

TDLink

Awesome. Please don't cut anyone from the first game
except scorpion

I have to imagine everyone who was on that poll is a sure-thing. Ie, Static, Blue Beetle, Swamp Thing, Red Hood, Dr. Fate, and Power Girl. That's already a great start in terms of newcomers. To add to that, I would like to see Booster Gold, Black Manta, and some more GL villains.

Some Nobody

Awesome. Please don't cut anyone from the first game
except scorpion

I have to imagine everyone who was on that poll is a sure-thing. Ie, Static, Blue Beetle, Swamp Thing, Red Hood, Dr. Fate, and Power Girl. That's already a great start in terms of newcomers. To add to that, I would like to see Booster Gold, Black Manta, and some more GL villains.

I'm thinking half the cast will be swapped out for a different group, unfortunately.

TDLink

I'm thinking half the cast will be swapped out for a different group, unfortunately.

Why? There's no reason to get rid of that work they have already done. Plus, I know if there are cast swaps it's going to be all the Batman guys who end up staying while the rest fall into limbo. I don't want that. It was shameful that Martian Manhunter was only barely in the game.

Hopefully not. But even if so, as long as they get swapped for ones like Beast Boy, Static, Booster Gold, and Dr. Fate, I'll be happy. Heck, I'd probably just be happy with Beast Boy making it in, personally. I'm easy to please. ;) But yeah, really hope they do try to avoid cutting people though, and I'm personally optimistic that that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but we'll see what happens.

Regiruler

I think the designs were fine if you treated them as something else. I was previously unfamiliar with Ares so I liked his design.

didn't Ed Boone make a comment that he was interested in making another MK Shaolin Monks sequel? wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros. and Boone were trying to make Mortal Kombat an action franchise as well as a fighter. i could see Warner Bros. pushing the Injustice sequel as the bigger fighting IP from NetherRealm, and then doing a Shaolin Monks sequel/reboot as an action title, then a year or two from now having Mortal Kombat return as a fighter.

didn't Ed Boone make a comment that he was interested in making another MK Shaolin Monks sequel? wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros. and Boone were trying to make Mortal Kombat an action franchise as well as a fighter. i could see Warner Bros. pushing the Injustice sequel and then doing a Shaolin Monks sequel/reboot, then having Mortal Kombat return as a fighter.

Wouldn't be the same without the original team working on it, and most of them work for Sorny Santa Monica (if they still even do). If they could get them back though, then sign me the fuck up.

fernoca

didn't Ed Boone make a comment that he was interested in making another MK Shaolin Monks sequel? wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros. and Boone were trying to make Mortal Kombat an action franchise as well as a fighter. i could see Warner Bros. pushing the Injustice sequel and then doing a Shaolin Monks sequel/reboot, then having Mortal Kombat return as a fighter.

Boon* :p

And there has been interest, but nothing concrete. He always said to email/bother WB to let them know that a sequel is wanted. He has posted pics of the guide, mentioned that there were talks of an HD release on PS3/360, along other stuff like the canned sequel ad the canned PSP port.

There's also the fact that Netherrealm per se didn't worked on Shaolin Monks, So, if a sequel was made it would be by a different team..with input from Netherrealm (like the previous game been made by Paradox with input from the MK team at Midway).

At the moment, the only thing expected is that a Mortal Kombat game will be announced soon and that Keifer Sutherlands is involved on it.

It also seems that the OP should be updated, as there was no talk about a new game (which is expected) but a new comic (which as announced months ago).

Wouldn't be the same without the original team working on it, and most of them work for Sorny Santa Monica (if they still even do). If they could get them back though, then sign me the fuck up.
Only a few work at Santa Monica. Most stayed during the struggles at Midway and went with THQ,with many then going to High Moon. Though, one by Santa Monica would be ace.

:p

Also keeping in mind that the original game started development as a pitch to show the fighting mechanic. It was then that it was turned into Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. So, as long as there's some stuff/knowledge about the previous engine and the handling of multi-directional combat; bigger /lush/detail locations, better looks in general and more content should be enough. Plus they could always hire/contract some of the ones lost through the years.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hoping MK10 is getting most of the work right now and Injustice sequel is pretty far off.

I have high hopes for MK on PS4/Xbone, better fix that animation and get some better artists.

Deadstar

Hoping MK10 is getting most of the work right now and Injustice sequel is pretty far off.

I have high hopes for MK on PS4/Xbone, better fix that animation and get some better artists.

And fix the faces. There were some weird looking characters in that game. Also don't make everyone so skinny.

EulaCapra

I hope they'll stop beating Wonder Woman with an ugly stick for this next one.

Realistically I think they'll at least include these people (they'll probably swap out a good chunk of the original roster):
Black Canary
Darkseid
Cheetah
Doctor Fate
Black Lightning
Supergirl/Power Girl
Static Shock
Star Sapphire
Blue Beetle
Batwoman

Plus the standard fee of more Batman characters like: Mister Freeze, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Clayface, Ra's al Ghul.

Albo

The next MK is pretty much a given after this leak last year which confirmed they were working on it, and the VA one recently, and the teases from devs.

"We've got a great script. We've got a great director with Kevin Tancharoen on board and it's just figuring out the business side of it and when we would do [the movie] and when we would launch it – how do we synch up with the launch of the game that they're working on now, the next game.

Title should be changed though as this isn't confirmation

Boon* :p

And there has been interest, but nothing concrete. He always said to email/bother WB to let them know that a sequel is wanted. He has posted pics of the guide, mentioned that there were talks of an HD release on PS3/360, along other stuff like the canned sequel ad the canned PSP port.

There's also the fact that Netherrealm per se didn't worked on Shaolin Monks, So, if a sequel was made it would be by a different team..with input from Netherrealm (like the previous game been made by Paradox with input from the MK team at Midway).

At the moment, the only thing expected is that a Mortal Kombat game will be announced soon and that Keifer Sutherlands is involved on it.

It also seems that the OP should be updated, as there was no talk about a new game (which is expected) but a new comic (which as announced months ago).

:p

Also keeping in mind that the original game started development as a pitch to show the fighting mechanic. It was then that it was turned into Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. So, as long as there's some stuff/knowledge about the previous engine and the handling of multi-directional combat; bigger /lush/detail locations, better looks in general and more content should be enough. Plus they could always hire/contract some of the ones lost through the years.

thanks for the clarification :) and thats interesting to know about the staff moving on. I'd be up for another game.

Top Bottom