• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Oblivion PS3 thread

I moved my surround sound upstairs to my "game room" tonight and have it hooked up to my PS3 via optical cable. Hopefully the game has some good ambience. :)

So got to play for a bit. Basically reinforcing everything else that has been stated thus far

- Textures ridiculously crisp now and certainly higher res...
- it may very on TV to TV, but in my case (Sony Bravia 40S2000), HDMI trumps component :)
- Contrast is no longer overally broad as it was on the 360 version. Even in the darkest of dungeons, I didn't have to touch the brightness
- Loads time are excellent. Especially with the little things, like switching menus, animation transitions, AI kicking in, etc.
- Overall improved framerate over the 360 sku (barely).....exception being when using the torch with a bunch of shit going-on =p
- Dead zone is a bit worse than it was on the 360 version (which was too broad itself to begin with). Think Far Cry Instincts broad...but you can get used to it. As far as the rest of the controls, I think if feels tighter and more responsive on the Sixaxis (thumbing through menus, attacks, spell-casts, etc.) by just a hair...
- LoD Shaders FTW!!!

If you haven't picked it up Oblivion yet, I would say this is the sku to pick up. Exceptions being if you have a high end Comp or you won't Shivering Isles sooner than later :)

Ploid 3.0

I never played a western RPG other than baulders gates dark alliance on ps2. This game seems like it's very good. Was really expecting to get resistance next to play something with the people on my friends list ><. (Anyone here have Fight Night?)

Ar_

GreekWolf said:
Now PS3 owners (including myself) get to crow for a few days about owning the definitive edition of Oblivion. :)

If I can get my equipment set up in time, I'll try to take some shots of both versions, once the new shader hits the 360. That ought to be an interesting comparison.

I've put my money on the PC version remaining the best, thanks to the impressive fan made mods, and started assembling a new 600€ PC mostly to play Oblivion.
It'll make for an interesting comparison with the evenly priced PS3 and cheaper 360 versions.
Will need a few more days due a faulty motherboard, then I'll see to take some screenshots to compare image quality and FPS.

Ploid 3.0

I want to see the new screens. Screens taken by users and not resized to website format (small and crap that usuall websites do).

Raistlin

Ploid 3.0 said:
I want to see the new screens. Screens taken by users and not resized to website format (small and crap that usuall websites do).

I'll take some this weekend (I won't have the game till Friday).

I finally picked up a camera ... YAY!!!

painey

excellent post Futurevoid. It is a shame that you had to put more time and effort into comparing the two than any gaming website where people are paid to do stuff like this.

Apocryphon

Can somebody please confirm that PAL PS3's have a 60hz option for all HD resolutions!?

I ask because the game cases list 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p as supported HD resolutions and not 480p.

Does that mean it won't do 4080p60 and instead 576p50!?

The boxes also don't mention 60hz, whereas 360 cases do, ...and yesterday after checking a machine with composite cables, there was no 60hz option, only 576i50 and no 480i60. Is that because component/HDMI/whatever cables are required?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
painey said:
excellent post Futurevoid.

I agree, excellent post. Very informative.

painey said:
It is a shame that you had to put more time and effort into comparing the two than any gaming website where people are paid to do stuff like this.

Boy aint that the truth.

Thanks! I only wish I had a decent camera with which to take some good comparison pics.

After playing for a few more hours last night the load times differences have definitely leaped out a bit more for me. Not only in how the game loads a city of or individual home but just the general smoothness of the user interface and searching bodies or barrels etc.. I remember popping up the interface on the 360 version after a cache clear or a few hours of gameplay and dealing with short pauses as the game popped up certain windows and populated items in a dead body etc. It's little stuff like that makes the Playstation 3 version just feel so much more polished (which is really the word I was looking for yesterday).

AgentOtaku said:
Contrast is no longer overally broad as it was on the 360 version. Even in the darkest of dungeons, I didn't have to touch the brightness
God yes. Another tidbit I forgot to mention. The contrast on the Playstation 3 version is definitely much nicer. You can actually see into shadows decently now and it doesn't require recalibration of your television settings to get a good picture out of.

I definitely attribute some of this to the HDMI output of the PS3 as I've noticed HDMI is a bit "lighter" than component (just a personal observation). I suppose it would be an interesting test to get the PS3 hooked up via component and see if the contrast levels suffer any.

teiresias

Futurevoid said:
God yes. Another tidbit I forgot to mention. The contrast on the Playstation 3 version is definitely much nicer. You can actually see into shadows decently now and it doesn't require recalibration of your television settings to get a good picture out of.

I definitely attribute some of this to the HDMI output of the PS3 as I've noticed HDMI is a bit "lighter" than component (just a personal observation). I suppose it would be an interesting test to get the PS3 hooked up via component and see if the contrast levels suffer any.

The contrast is an issue with the game on my PC rig as well, night and dungeons are just too dark, but I can't adjust the brightness slider because it blows out daytime and lit interiors too much. It's really annoying. In fact, it's so bad that I can't play the game at all during the day since my PC isn't in a very light controlled room.

Does the PS3 version bring up "loading" prompts as you run through the wilderness? I always found that annoying. I downloaded a mod for the PC version that gets rid of those prompts, it's not like I can't tell the thing is loading when it chugs for a second or two and a bunch of trees and landscape appear that wasn't there before! :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Excellent news. I am going to have mine in a few hours...whenever FedEx gets its lazy ass here.

Dev1lZ

Banned
When Oblivion hit last year for 360, I was disappointed in how many textures lacked the visual "pop" up close that I was expecting them to have.(Mostly clothing detail and armor as well as terrain) The game's framerate also liked to stutter a whole lot, even with the cache cleared. Not that the game was not enjoyable because of this, but eventually I put it down and never went back because they never really addressed the issues I had with the game. Believe it or not, little things like that add up, especially in the visual department with me, and I'm all over the PS3 release because I'm just that bad of a graphics whore for it to utterly ruin an experience for me. At the time, it also seemed odd to me that Oblivion did not install to the 360 hard drive like I expected it to, and the company chose to use hard drive caching which probably led to even more problems. I don't understand why Microsoft includes a hard drive with the system(Premium, of course)and then punishes the consumer by gimping games that would certainly benefit from having an installed library to pull from. In my opinion, it hurts the 360 more than anything, and at the very least should be an option.

danwarb

AgentOtaku said:
So got to play for a bit. Basically reinforcing everything else that has been stated thus far

- Textures ridiculously crisp now and certainly higher res...
- it may very on TV to TV, but in my case (Sony Bravia 40S2000), HDMI trumps component :)
- Contrast is no longer overally broad as it was on the 360 version. Even in the darkest of dungeons, I didn't have to touch the brightness
- Loads time are excellent. Especially with the little things, like switching menus, animation transitions, AI kicking in, etc.
- Overall improved framerate over the 360 sku (barely).....exception being when using the torch with a bunch of shit going-on =p
- Dead zone is a bit worse than it was on the 360 version (which was too broad itself to begin with). Think Far Cry Instincts broad...but you can get used to it. As far as the rest of the controls, I think if feels tighter and more responsive on the Sixaxis (thumbing through menus, attacks, spell-casts, etc.) by just a hair...
- LoD Shaders FTW!!!

If you haven't picked it up Oblivion yet, I would say this is the sku to pick up. Exceptions being if you have a high end Comp or you won't Shivering Isles sooner than later :)
Nice. Texture resolution really is identicle for both versions though. It's a lack of AF makes them look muddied on 360.

I'd love to play the PS3 version now just to check out the differences in the game. They're not enough to seel me on a PS3 alone, but I'd sure like to spend some time with Oblivion on PS3 now. It sounds like the visual upgrades in particular are worth it, and I think we can see the value of having a harddrive in every machine.

I'll be interested to see how the 360 version fares after the next patch which is due out with Shiverin Isles. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I can take it for a spin.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone take a horse ride yet? The 360 version always went to hell the second you jumped on a horse (so much stuttering).

How about the music? Is it handled in the same fashion or have they improved it (transitions). Previously, it would very quickly cut to a battle song when an enemy was near only to just as quickly jump back to another song when it was finished rather than continuing the song that was playing prior to battle.

danwarb

teiresias said:
This doesn't seem to be the case based on pics.
Well, it is the case (I'm sure). Anyone with the PC version can confirm this by comparing 4xAF with tri-linear filtering on the default high-quality textures.

teiresias said:
Does the PS3 version bring up "loading" prompts as you run through the wilderness?
Yep. The "Loading" prompt still appears.

Oni Jazar said:
Sucks to hear about the aiming and movement. There isn't any way to change sensitivity in the options?
There are sensitivity options in the menu for both vertical and horizontal movement. However, that does not affect the "dead zone" that has been mentioned in the thread.

Also, the button layout is configurable. I changed the location of spell casting over to the L2 button which is far more comfortable.

dark10x said:
How about the music? Is it handled in the same fashion or have they improved it (transitions). Previously, it would very quickly cut to a battle song when an enemy was near only to just as quickly jump back to another song when it was finished rather than continuing the song that was playing prior to battle.
No differences there. The transitions are just the same.

dark10x said:
Anyone take a horse ride yet? The 360 version always went to hell the second you jumped on a horse (so much stuttering).
From my impressions on the last page:

Futurevoid said:
Thanks to 4+ gigs of data that the game requires of the Playstation 3 hard drive, the stuttering present on the Xbox 360 version of the game as it streams in content has been greatly reduced. Almost to the level of it being a non-issue in many cases. The Playstation 3 version of the game will still display some hitching when the "Loading Level" prompt appears but you would have to be blind to not see the difference between the two versions of the game (granted I plan to do more comparisons as I move through the game and into more "demanding" instances of content streaming)

During my travels to Bruma the Xbox 360 version paused for half a second and then stuttered for a few moments as I turned a bend in the road to reveal a large collection of trees with multi-colored leaves indicating fall has arrived in Tamriel. The geometry around my character on horseback was finally streamed into view after a few moments and the game returned to a decent pace. The Playstation 3 at the same exact point literally hitched for half a second as the trees and surrounding flora appeared smoothly in the backdrop. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

I continued similar tests throughout the entirety of the journey and was met with similar results the whole way through. The Playstation 3 version is noticeably smoother with regard to how content is streamed to the player in-game. You will also notice that the same sluggishness I noted above with regard to turning is still on display in the outdoor areas of the world as well.

just stole a horse from Weynon Priory real quick to go for a ride :)

...I can certainly concur that it is ALOT smoother :D
While there is LoD and pop-in to be sure....the actual chugging of loading areas is almost nill

Durante

People complaining about not seeing anything at night / in dark dungeons: Have you ever entertained the thought that you're not ****ing supposed to without a torch/light/spell/night sight?

And people call me crazy if I fear PC games being dumbed down for a wider audience...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nice to hear everything turned out well. Seen a few people playing the game on my friends list last night.

Oneself

Well, I guess it's time to start a new character! I'll trade some shizzle and get this on the PSTriple.. I think I'll keep the 360 version just to compare.

PS: this thread needs pics

jjasper

GreekWolf said:
Now PS3 owners (including myself) get to crow for a few days about owning the definitive edition of Oblivion. :)

If I can get my equipment set up in time, I'll try to take some shots of both versions, once the new shader hits the 360. That ought to be an interesting comparison.

hmm I know you love some Oblivion so I might have to get it. Also what's your PSN?

teiresias

Durante said:
People complaining about not seeing anything at night / in dark dungeons: Have you ever entertained the thought that you're not ****ing supposed to without a torch/light/spell/night sight?

And people call me crazy if I fear PC games being dumbed down for a wider audience...

This is all well and good, but the main problem is that even with a torch the rendering of the night scene is still so dark that it's impossible to play the game if there is any kind of glare on my screen - even though it, like most modern displays, has an anti-glare coating on it.

Not to mention that many of these dungeons have non-magic using NPC enemies walking around in them that don't have a torch or night sight so why are they able to walk around in the complete darkness? Realism to hinder playability is stupid.

Shawn

Banned
There's a firmware update on the disc?
Well, shouldn't there be?

Edit: The reason I ask is because I get my updates through storage media only (no internet). I'm currently at 1.3, I think. I'm hoping to get 1.5 (at least) from the disc.

Jim

Shawn said:
Well, shouldn't there be?

Like PSP games, there should be the latest version on disc, especially if it is required for the game. But unlike the PSP, there's no way in knowning what version might be on it, unless you actually have outdated firmware on your PS3 to begin with.

Since you don't have a net connection, I'll guess you'll be one of the first to find out :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
danwarb said:
Well, it is the case (I'm sure). Anyone with the PC version can confirm this by comparing 4xAF with tri-linear filtering on the default high-quality textures.
The close-up textures wouldn't be affected by AF.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
danwarb said:
I went and took some screens just to make sure.

Old CVG comparison pics:

PS3 (still representative of the game?)

And from the very same spot with high-quality textures and no mods:

PC with AF
PC without AF

It looks like AF is the difference there; and a very nice one too.
There's a difference on the ground yes, but earlier on someone was talking about difference on the texture on the walls and such, which I assumed would be vertical surfaces. I guess the only way to be sure is to point the viewpoint right towards some wall on both versions, as to make it not possible for AF to make any difference. Either way, you're right, AF always does help a lot.

Shompola

Banned
If we disregard the pc mods and just talk about vanilla Oblivion, it looks like the PS3 version also looks considerable better than PC version. Is this true? Does the highest setting in the PC version fix the hideous mountain textures that are far away?

SOLDIER

So I went to Best Buy again today. The game wasn't on shelves, so I asked a guy to check in the back for me. Took about 10 minutes, but thankfully he had a stack of copies in his hands, waiting to be stocked. I then scoured the checkout counters and picked the cashier that looked the least anal. She stared at the Circuit City ad for about a minute, but price matched it. She also accepted my $5 scanned coupon.

That's right, new copy of PS3 Oblivion for $45. :D

Durante

If we disregard the pc mods and just talk about vanilla Oblivion, it looks like the PS3 version also looks considerable better than PC version. Is this true?
That's like asking "if we disregard the fact that the PC version still looks a lot better, doesn't the PS3 version look best?"

But to answer your question: Without any modding (which, in this case, is extremely easy) the PC version does have the horrendous low-res distance textures of the 360 version, yes.

syllogism

Shompola said:
If we disregard the pc mods and just talk about vanilla Oblivion, it looks like the PS3 version also looks considerable better than PC version. Is this true? Does the highest setting in the PC version fix the hideous mountain textures that are far away?

Well, I don't see the point of disregarding mods, but you can increase the area of normal, non-lod, textures by editing the ini. That mountain area is the worst looking area in the whole game, I've no idea why they chose to use that for comparisons.

ram

I continued similar tests throughout the entirety of the journey and was met with similar results the whole way through. The Playstation 3 version is noticeably smoother with regard to how content is streamed to the player in-game.

glad to hear.

Shompola

Banned
Durante said:
That's like asking "if we disregard the fact that the PC version still looks a lot better, doesn't the PS3 version look best?"

But to answer your question: Without any modding (which, in this case, is extremely easy) the PC version does have the horrendous low-res distance textures of the 360 version, yes.

I wanted to know if Bethesda has replaced the textures or not.

Top Bottom