• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weren't we supposed to have a 1up yours for each day of E3?

YYZ

Vyse The Legend said:
Except Shane, the former Mangod, poo pooed Super Mario Galaxy. Fission Mailed.
well he goes pretty in-depth about what he thought, can't fault him there.

Shane's contention that the trailer is like an allegory for the console wars... I just saw the trailer again and he might be on to something. I doubt the whole game would follow that pattern, but it certainly seemed that way in the trailer.

Campbell is Sony, Snake is Kojima, Liquid is MS? And those soldiers beating each other are gamers? Okay, maybe not, but it's pretty funny to think about. :lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
sooo 1up said nintendo doesnt care about the hardcore gamer....I was wondering where that other thread came from.

Blackface

Banned
Windu said:
sooo 1up said nintendo doesnt care about the hardcore gamer....I was wondering where that other thread came from.

There has been other threads all day saying they dont care about hardcore gamers long before this was even recorded.

Windu

Trax416 said:
There has been other threads all day saying they don't care about hardcore gamers long before this was even recorded.

well yeah i guess so, but it just means more coming from them. i would have thought that they would have been professional enough to know that e3 press conferences are not for the hardcore press anymore. Its mainly for the mainstream press because this is one of the few times they cover it and put it on the news. Of course nintendo is going to focus on casual stuff. The hardcore gamers will find the info, and it looks like they did and people are still excited.

/end rant

edit: but i do agree about how nintendo does not care about online gaming...i kinda wish they did. I guess thats one point where they are leaving the hardcore behind but thats the only thing.

Windu

sp0rsk said:
BTW

The Wii Wheel has buttons on the back.

so its more than just a worthless piece of plastic, now its a worthless piece of plastic with buttons.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Windu said:
so its more than just a worthless piece of plastic, now its a worthless piece of plastic with buttons.

It's got a plug and some circuits in there so the buttons work.
It's a wheel, you can use it.

Windu

sp0rsk said:

i guess i should have found out earlier but does it come with mario kart? Im not about to pay for it but im all for free stuff :D

legend166

Ugh, I don't think I can deal with more "lol nintendo has abandoned the hardcore gamer" crap. It's worse in a podcast because I can't tell them how wrong they are ;(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

legend166 said:
Ugh, I don't think I can deal with more "lol nintendo has abandoned the hardcore gamer" crap. It's worse in a podcast because I can't tell them how wrong they are ;(

The entire gaming world is wrong, you and your ilk are right, we get it. If you "can't deal" that means we don't have to hear from you anymore right?

HylianTom

Banned
legend166 said:

1Up just needs to get it over with and change the sign on their webpage from "Where Gamers Call Home" to "Where Uber-Hardcore Elite Gamers Call Home." Stop claiming that you cover "gaming" and be more honest about what you're covering.

Blackface

Banned
Windu said:
well yeah i guess so, but it just means more coming from them. i would have thought that they would have been professional enough to know that e3 press conferences are not for the hardcore press anymore. Its mainly for the mainstream press because this is one of the few times they cover it and put it on the news. Of course nintendo is going to focus on casual stuff. The hardcore gamers will find the info, and it looks like they did and people are still excited.

/end rant

edit: but i do agree about how nintendo does not care about online gaming...i kinda wish they did. I guess thats one point where they are leaving the hardcore behind but thats the only thing.

You have to realize, they are talking about the conference only. Half of Gaf when you tell them Nintendo abandonded the hardcore in terms of the conference, will shoot back at you with all these games that weren't even featured in the Nintendo press conference at all. If Nintendo's vision of the future is exactly the same as what they showed in the conference, then they have given up. Yes they have some games coming out that have been in development since the system launched. However, you will notice that ever since the Non-games have been becoming hits, they have stopped developing as many Hardcore centered games, and started focusing more on Non-games.

legend166

Trax416 said:
You have to realize, they are talking about the conference only. Half of Gaf when you tell them Nintendo abandonded the hardcore in terms of the conference, will shoot back at you with all these games that weren't even featured in the Nintendo press conference at all. If Nintendo's vision of the future is exactly the same as what they showed in the conference, then they have given up. Yes they have some games coming out that have been in development since the system launched. However, you will notice that ever since the Non-games have been becoming hits, they have stopped developing as many Hardcore centered games, and started focusing more on Non-games.

Proof please.

We know of exactly 2 games coming out in 2008. One is a "non-game" that was announced a long long time ago.

Trax416 said:

Yeah, look at the monsterous lineup of non-games Nintendo has on tap for Wii non-gamers for the next 9 months ...

Wii Fit

And .... uh ..... did I mention Wii Fit?

You guys are freaking out over one game which isn't even coming out this year, meanwhile Mario Galaxy + Metroid Prime 3 + Smash Bros. Brawl are all locked in for 2007 ... how many people on this board swore up and down Nintendo would delay 1, if not 2 of these into 2008?

Nintendo doesn't support MS + Sony's vision of gaming which is $400+ consoles with 1000 FPS/military shooters/racing games on it. Which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but that's just not Nintendo's bag, and lets face it, it never was going to be. They had their little fling with GoldenEye ten years ago, but that was really about it for them and that style of gaming (Conker, Eternal Darkness, RE on GC all failed). Other than that, Nintendo pretty much is doing the same thing they've always done.

Windu

Trax416 said:

yeah i said conference too, anyway yeah the mainstream media is there so why not show alot of casual stuff.

edit: dont want this disscussion to get out of hand like the other one. Seems like we are saying the same thing that they were just showing off casual stuff for the mainstream media to show on the news.

chriskun

HylianTom said:
1Up just needs to get it over with and change the sign on their webpage from "Where Gamers Call Home" to "Where Uber-Hardcore Elite Gamers Call Home." Stop claiming that you cover "gaming" and be more honest about what you're covering.
haha, you've gotta be kidding me. Why are you posting on gaf, go read news week or cnn if that is the type of media you want. 1up defense force ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

legend166

The funny thing is, I'd be willing to argue that Wii Fit is the first non-game to be released on the Wii, yet everyone still has a hissy fit saying Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore gamer.

Well, maybe 2nd if you count Big Brain Academy.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think we all need to accept that the landscape is changing, and will continue to change. That doesn't mean you won't get your favorite games anymore, it just means as more people enter the market more tastes will appear that may not reflect yours. Take Brain Age for instance or even Wii Sports, along with Nintendogs, all of which are different games that got insane amounts of hate from the hardcore gaming crowd. Yes they were audience expansion games and still are, but even a lot of regular gamers got into them. After the dust settles it's still a fun application anyone is able to enjoy. If all you want is hardcore oriented games that's fine, the market is flooded with them, but that doesn't mean we can't have games like these, it's ridiculous to even suggest that.

Krowley

I'll agree with them that nintendo's conference was sh*t, but they only showed one new non-game..

They spent too much time talking and preaching about their new focus and glossed over all their coolest titles, but in the end they only had one "expanded audience" game to show, and it was actually pretty cool.

I think they found themselves in a difficult situation. Most 3rd party's, and particularly japanese third party's didn't seem interested in this years E3 to any great extent. Most of them are probably waiting for TGS to blowout their more important wii titles.. Things like FFCC for example... So nintendo had to carry the burden themselves and the only game they wanted to show from next year was mario kart, so they decided to preach and brag this E3, then show off wii fit, which they knew would get them some good mainsteam american news coverage.

There is some very cool stuff on the showfloor. Super mario galaxy looks like the best game ever. It's all good. I have no fear that nintendo is leaving anybody behind. If next years lineup is significantly worse than this years in regards to minigames and that kind of jazz, i'll start to get worried, but I definitly don't feel comfortable drawing lots of conclusions from this conference.

edit// oh yeah.. there is one major negative that they pointed out.. Most of the new 3rd party stuff that is on display at this years E3 is total crap. Especially stuff from western 3rd party's. It sounds like some of EA's stuff is very cool, particularly the spielberg game and mysims, but videos of that stuff has been missing so far. Everybody else that bothered to come to E3 seems to be churning out shovelware cash-ins.

bry-bry

sp0rsk said:

Yeah. It's too bad GAF's favorite son eXxy is not quite ready for 1up Yours. Overuse of the word "like" notwithstanding, Patrick is just better as a news segment presenter than a regular "4th chair" 1up Yours member. Mark, Shawn, Brian, Jeff, or even Milky is a better choice IMO.

N'gai Croal is "confirmed" for the Friday show!

alu

Holy shit! UT3 mods on PS3! This may be old news for most people on the planet, but I'm sexploding right now.

Great show by the way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Umm....I realize Nintendo probably got crapped on...is there any positive Nintendo coverage that would make it worth downloading for an Ntard, or no?

USC-fan

Banned
this show felt really rushed. Sucks you guys are so busy.....

schuelma said:
Umm....I realize Nintendo probably got crapped on...is there any positive Nintendo coverage that would make it worth downloading for an Ntard, or no?
They really weren't that bad on Nintendo beside mangod saying he didn't like the new mario game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
sp0rsk said:

You know how useful a wheel is when it isn't attached to an axle or steering column?

Not much. :p

Woo-Fu

Banned
schuelma said:

just hit any mainstream press news outlet, they love Nintendo and the Wii.

TDG

Banned
schuelma said:
The restrain they used was shocking. I expected them to destroy Nintendo, and they didn't.

madmook

The Jeff Bell bashing was hilarious. I was going "Who the eff is this guy?" too, when he trotted out.

Waiting for part 2........

waiting.......

Woo-Fu

Banned
thekad said:
I'm surprised no one is talking about the racist comment Shane said.

I am kind of shocked that they didn't edit that bit out. Regardless of how he meant it it will alienate some portion of their fanbase for no good reason.

thekad said:
I'm surprised no one is talking about the racist comment Shane said.

What did he say (I couldn't make it out) and was it actually racist?

As I expected, everybody at 1Up seemed to ignore the fact Nintendo put lots of videos for lots of games out, stuff you would have got at the conference if they were doing exactly what you wanted them to do. Crying that they show Wii Fit over Mario Galaxy makes no sense when you later get a trailer to watch as you please.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My favorite part was the Assassin's Creed bit, hilarious and exactly what I thought after seeing that on stage demo

Top Bottom