• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTTV/Spike is airing an entire episode about Unreal Engine 4 on June 7th

Eusis

Well, the 360 DID have a TV reveal, but they outright hyped it up as the 360 reveal ahead of time, and Microsoft wanted to really force a wedge in then. They can probably take a more relaxed approach now, and if they don't want to we'd know further ahead of time.

volturnus

Banned

gabbre

lnsdt.png

After taking a look at his post history, I see the guy is a fucking bot. The only occasion when he says something on GAF is to promote/tease something on GT/VGA/Spike.
He's an ad that doesn't give NeoGAF any money, no different than a hypothetical Obama campaign bot spamming Off-Topic.
Relax man. It's going to be OK, he doesn't have a political agenda I can assure you.

I said this about Geoff Keighley in 2009. I still believe it's relevant.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15246075&postcount=1849
You too. Achieve something in your life, then you can act superior all you want.

volturnus

Banned
Relax man. It's going to be OK, he doesn't have a political agenda I can assure you.

You too. Achieve something in your life, then you can act superior all you want.
Gaming journalist and GTTV presenter, now that's an achievement, eh?
No-one is acting superior here.

Raide

UE4...

Would like to see things other than shooters please.

Some Monster Hunter type clone done in UE4. Godrays all up in here!
Some RPG and Survival Horror games done in UE4.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I think the analysis here is spot-on. It will be an exclusive reveal of Unreal Engine 4 and Spike/GT might have a trailer or two to show off.

Of course, it won't actually be games, but we'll take what we can get for now, no? ;)

Aside from that, he does lay on the hype a tad too thick sometimes. Does he/GT get exclusives? Yep, by the truckload seeing as they're paired up with an actual TV network...and we all know how them publishers loooove TV coverage.

GT/Spike, Game Informer and IGN are the ones dominating exclusive reveals, etc. It's disheartening to see this when you work/write about videogames for a living for "smaller" sites. Does this mean their views/opinions are more important? Nope, it's just that publishers want their reveals to gain the most traction so this cycle just continues until another big player comes along.

Back on topic, UE4 reveal by GTTV -- this I am sure! No way is Geoff hyping Wii U as "exclusive next-gen reveal." That would be bordering on libelous. ;)

RagnarokX

I think the analysis here is spot-on. It will be an exclusive reveal of Unreal Engine 4 and Spike/GT might have a trailer or two to show off.

Of course, it won't actually be games, but we'll take what we can get for now, no? ;)

Aside from that, he does lay on the hype a tad too thick sometimes. Does he/GT get exclusives? Yep, by the truckload seeing as they're paired up with an actual TV network...and we all know how them publishers loooove TV coverage.

GT/Spike, Game Informer and IGN are the ones dominating exclusive reveals, etc. It's disheartening to see this when you work/write about videogames for a living for "smaller" sites. Does this mean their views/opinions are more important? Nope, it's just that publishers want their reveals to gain the most traction so this cycle just continues until another big player comes along.

Back on topic, UE4 reveal by GTTV -- this I am sure! No way is Geoff hyping Wii U as "exclusive next-gen reveal." That would be bordering on libelous. ;)

Regardless of what you want, WiiU is next-gen. The problem with the announcement being WiiU is that we already know Spike has exclusive coverage of the Nintendo conference so it would be dumb to hype it like it's still secret.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Regardless of what you want, WiiU is next-gen. The problem with the announcement being WiiU is that we already know Spike has exclusive coverage of the Nintendo conference so it would be dumb to hype it like it's still secret.

Yep, it won't be the Wii U.

Also, this trailer confirms it's going to be UE4.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-e3-2012/730566

Not sure if that should be added to OP or not. I think it should. Near the end they say the exclusive reveal of E3 with Unreal Engine 4, etc.

Hype and expectations dashed or should we be more hyped?

I personally want to see the game demos but I know they're not representative of what the PS4, next Xbox can and will do.

Coolwhip

Banned
If it's really UE4 I wonder if Spike TV viewers will really care about it. I know with Sony and MS next consoles were always about graphics, but like the thread about UE4 screenshots already showed. People wont be exactly wowed compared to what they have now.

If it's really UE4 I wonder if Spike TV viewers will really care about it. I know with Sony and MS next consoles were always about graphics, but like the thread about UE4 screenshots already showed. People wont be exactly wowed compared to what they have now.

Depending on how technical the demo is, but live action demo wins over a few still images any day!

Well UE4 will give us something to look forward to later in the week then.

Kind of weird how they say "Thursday 1 AM Eastern" when I believe technically the show airs Friday morning?

I'll be the judge of that. Reserve seeing it in motion.

Eusis

Yeah, we've definitely entered a point of diminishing returns. We'll likely appreciate the boost in motion and on our computers/consoles, but now the biggest obstacles I think are displaying at higher resolutions and with a stable framerate. Well, there could be surprises, but at this point I think anything much further than what we haven isn't feasible for the majority of devleopers/publishers, kind of like why not every movie has a budget of Avatar.
I'll be the judge of that. Reserve seeing it in motion.
Particle effects will probably be the most impressive in motion. The still shots don't impress, but I can imagine the movement of the sparks from faux-Diablo's face being REALLY impressive in motion.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So it confirms that Microsoft and Sony will not hint at next-gen at all. I'm ok with this.

Yep. Trailer states it will be the unveiling of UE4, so in a way, they're not fibbing as UE4 will be used for next gen.

I honestly think this E3 will be one of the "weakest" E3s in a long time since it will be a "primer" for next year's E3 next gen showdown between MS and Sony.

Interestingly enough, if a bunch of "known" games won't be announced here (Bad Company 3, etc.), will they even have enough pull when announced next year when the new consoles are announced?

Of course, I'm presuming that next year E3 will be the battleground and Sony doesn't announce PS4 at TGS or some other event.

No way MS will announce Xbox 720 at any event other than E3 tho.

Eusis

I honestly think this E3 will be one of the "weakest" E3s in a long time since it will be a "primer" for next year's E3 next gen showdown between MS and Sony.
I doubt it will be unless the Wii U's re-reveal is epically lame. More likely we'd have a very weak one the year after next, or failing that the one after that one instead, when there's no new hardware to be shown off.

Not sure if that should be added to OP or not. I think it should. Near the end they say the exclusive reveal of E3 with Unreal Engine 4, etc.

I personally want to see the game demos but I know they're not representative of what the PS4, next Xbox can and will do.

Kevin Smith? Oo

Why?

Fabrik

Banned
an exclusive tv premiere for a graphics engine?

don't remember the last time that happened...

Well this is a glimpse of the future so it's as important as a console unveiling, particularly considering UE3 is the most popular engine right now.

yurinka

Please, hours remaining for this?
I think it's just a Unreal 4 tech demo stuff for X720/PS4, not a game. But I'm interested.

Yep. Trailer states it will be the unveiling of UE4, so in a way, they're not fibbing as UE4 will be used for next gen.

Are you crazy? imo new console hardware automatically makes for a big E3. We havent had new hardware since 06. So that makes this the biggest E3 in a long time, because of the Wii U. Our lack of true knowledge of Wii U hardware makes it even more enthralling.

But yeah, I've said right along although this will be the biggest E3 in years, 2013 is still set to make it look like a joke.

Honestly, depending on how much leaks out beforehand (leaks will diminish the hype somewhat) I think E3 13 will be the biggest E3 of all time (since, the hobby is bigger than ever, combined with the likely reveal of two new consoles)

yurinka

This might be news to you, but there actually will be a next generation console at E3 this year.
No, both Sony and MS confirmed they won't show next gen conoles. So only HD gen consoles in E3.
This Unreal 4 demo / game would running using PC hardware, I doubt console manufacturers would let Epic show X720/PS3 footage before they announce the consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yeah, they even call it the next-generation of gaming in the video.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No, both Sony and MS confirmed they won't show next gen conoles. So only HD gen consoles in E3.
This Unreal 4 demo / game would running using PC hardware, I doubt console manufacturers would let Epic show X720/PS3 footage before they announce the consoles.

What do you expect the nextbox and PS4 to be if not HD?

The Wii-U is a next-gen console whether people like it or not, just like the Wii was the same generation as the PS3 and 360, they are based on generations of hardware releases not comparing the power each one can pull off.

Erethian

I wonder if Epic will have to pay for the advertising, or if it's free. Or why they're advertising a gaming engine to Spike TV viewers to begin with.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
makes no sense showcasing UE4 for next gen when PS4/720 are not even due out for at least a year. Sure to developers it's relevant but to consumers? To me and what everyone seems to be missing is that maybe NEXTGEN refers to Nintendo's Wii-U.

Maybe Nintendo beefed up the Wii-U and it can now officially support UE4 and they are showcasing it to show what it's capable of?? /letmedream

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
makes no sense showcasing UE4 for next gen when PS4/720 are not even due out for at least a year. Sure to developers it's relevant but to consumers? To me and what everyone seems to be missing is that maybe NEXTGEN refers to Nintendo's Wii-U.

Maybe Nintendo beefed up the Wii-U and it can now officially support UE4 and they are showcasing it to show what it's capable of?? /letmedream

Back in 2004 Epic unveiled Unreal Engine 3 at E3 without an announced HD console after showing it behind closed doors at GDC:

You will notice that the copyright at the bottom doesn't even list Gears of War, despite the assets being shared with that game.

Top Bottom