• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

Mitsurux

Odd question.. (or stupid perhaps)

I can't seem to get my choice of weapons to show in an actual game type (just working with a slayer based level).

I place the weapon in forge (Basic editing), and leave the various weapon options at default.. then when i got to actually see if the wepons are in the map (playing in war games by myself) there are no weapons on the level (all other level objects appear correctly)

So i went back to check how i had weapons set in Reach Forge, and they are exactly the same (default)

Any idea as to what is going on here.. I DO NOT want to use ordanance drops (due to the fact that they show the locations of the weapons via waypoint markers)..

File browser keeps bringing up no files found for everything, is this just because the game is new?

The only thing that works is the Fileshare Search... not the File Search. Search for a person's fileshare rather than just files. Also you can check your recommendations... friends might be recommending maps to you like I have to my friends.

Karl2177

I posted this in the other thread, but realized it might be of interest here too.

Does anyone else think that they simply forgot to bind an action to the stick buttons? Those are the two things that are missing, and I don't think it's a matter of simply cutting them...

FyreWulff

I almost thought they hardcoded sprint to the left stick action for monitors, which resulted it not being able to 'sprint', so it does nothing.

Wouldn't make sense for the right stick though.

McNei1y

I will look at these when I get home from work. I'm not much a forge person but it's a great way to spend some time. I "made" a map in Reach and it was quite interesting. It's fun being able to create something and then experience some games of slayer on it, even if the quality is awful.

Has anyone's map here ever been integrated into the playlists?

Also, are a lot of GAF's custom maps used in custom games here?

Karl2177

I almost thought they hardcoded sprint to the left stick action for monitors, which resulted it not being able to 'sprint', so it does nothing.

Wouldn't make sense for the right stick though.
But 'sprinting' for a monitor is holding the left trigger. I'm honestly thinking that they forgot it.

NOKYARD

Not enough of them. Overdoziz map should have replaced the shipping version of Asylum.

You could make it a 1 round game with 10 points to win. It doesn't reset the players to their side after scoring so i don't now if it will help in your case.

Testing the 45 degree flat floor method today. A good number of the pieces were correctly positioned after the first save.

FyreWulff

copy paste from HBO post

So today me and Pete were messing around with a gametype I'm working on, and discovered two interesting things:
1) A Mantis halfway through a shield door will not be stunned when EMP'd. The shields will be dropped when the PP overshot hits it, but it can still move. Consider this when Forging maps

2) You can put a short Hard or Soft Kill on the ground that's short, and will kill Spartans when they attempt to walk over it, but the Mantis can walk around above it with no problems. You can use this to enforce only Mantises being allowed in a certain area of your map, or enforce people getting into the Mantis in the first place (put a soft kill on the ground, and the countdown stops as long as they stay in the Mantis)

Also, Pete already got hit with the overwrite bug from Reach.

Also direct comparison of the sound

Is Ordnance impossible to use in Flood? I've spawned custom ones and tried getting everything to work in gametype settings and nothing's been happening. Do I have to give it a specific label?

Also, do we have the ability to spawn personal Ordnance locations so that we don't end up with things like personal ordnance warping halfway into walls/structures or out of custom enclosed maps?

Oddballs bounce off of all sides of Gravity Volumes. Upside down Gravity Volumes can be used as an invisible ceiling to keep the Oddball in your map.

In theory could this be used for some puzzle maps? Say, making a chamber with Gravity Volume walls that forces you to chuck it at the proper angle to get it to the other side or something similar.

Also: just had an awesome idea for "Basketball" or similar gametypes. Put a gravity volume .1 meter on the floor so the oddball can bounce, and modify point times so that you lose a point per ball carry but gain 2 per throw or something similar. It forces dribbling!

NOKYARD

Oddballs bounce off of all sides of Gravity Volumes. Upside down Gravity Volumes can be used as an invisible ceiling to keep the Oddball in your map.

nillapuddin

Halo's Forge mode may be easy to overlook when it's compared to the game's campaign, War Games, and Spartan Ops. Why should players spend time in Forge mode?

" The majority of people aren't going to get into Forge, but the vast majority of people benefit from the creations of those people who are really willing to invest in it."--Hoberman

Hoberman: Forge is kind of interesting. The approach that Bungie took originally; I was there when we were first kicking it off for Halo 3, and it was really just to try and create something that was really powerful and as a result you end up with a tool that is really powerful, but with great power comes…challenges with accessibility. You can do something really crappy really quickly, but to do something really well takes a ton of craftsmanship. Forge isn't necessarily for everyone.

One of our goals this time around was to make Forge more accessible; we wanted to make it a little bit easier and broader the audience. The majority of people aren't going to get into Forge, but the vast majority of people benefit from the creations of those people who are really willing to invest in it. And that's where you end up with Grifball and all these other community-created game modes and original creations and the Flood. And the original Infection-type game modes. Even though we tried to make Forge mode more accessible, ultimately the majority of people, even if they don't get into Forge, they'll still benefit from Forge.

Like you were saying, [Forge] is more accessible this time around. Are you hearing any critical feedback from people who playtested it or in the wild now that they're not so happy with that you've made it more approachable?

Hoberman: We made a conscious effort to preserve all of the prior functionality. In making it more accessible we were just adding features on top of what was already there. We weren't sort of dumbing it down. Not a lot of people have gotten their hands on it, but the response has been super positive. So far there's been one little issue that has come up inadvertently that we're talking about possibly addressing through a patch. Otherwise, so far so good.

What's the extent of the issue if you can talk about that?

Hoberman: There's just something that we overlooked that allows you to move objects around with intimate detail that…like I said, it's just an oversight on our part and we're already talking about getting it fixed. We'll see what comes up, but like I said, our goal is to preserve all the functionality and add features that make it more accessible.

tl;dr
they knew about precision editing, and they are working on it
so please have patience

Published November 6th

Finally got some decent Forge time in. Building on Ravine... going for a 4v4 vehicular map (hogs) since those seem to be missing from matchmaking. It's going pretty well, but yeah I miss the precision editing, and the terrain forcing shit out of it sporadically...

Still, no major bugs encountered (yet!)

I have Affinity, Think Twice (also made by A 3 Legged Goat, Sven Neitzsche, and Jonzorz 124), and Chateau in matchmaking. :)

tl;dr
they knew about precision editing, and they are working on it
so please have patience

Published November 6th

This is definitely great news... the only other thing that I would like fixed is the fact that our camera is zoomed out every time we grab a larger object and we can't zoom back in. It makes working on enclosed-ish maps ridiculously cumbersome. Definitely the biggest obstacle working on Think Again.

What is up with these forge pieces. Is anyone else having a hard time getting simple things to line up using magnets? Example: On impact with the station pieces.

Crudely drawn for your pleasure:
nGFbi.png

What the. I mean sure I could be not lazy and turn magnets off and make it line up but why would it not line up right with the magnets.

nillapuddin

-issue with impact unique pieces-

yeah, I found that some of those pieces are catered to fit the 90 degree corners, and some are fit for the 45 degree corners.
Its puzzling that they did not create the same distance on the inside lengths.

This is definitely great news... the only other thing that I would like fixed is the fact that our camera is zoomed out every time we grab a larger object and we can't zoom back in. It makes working on enclosed-ish maps ridiculously cumbersome. Definitely the biggest obstacle working on Think Again.

Indeed, I was encouraged by his perspective on forge though, it truly might not be used universally, but designing for the "few" of us, does help everyone eventually.
Im optimistic that there will be hotfixes for some of the forge issues, the dev teams 343 & CA seem to be very open talking about post launch patches

NOKYARD

Testing the 45 degree flat floor method today. A good number of the pieces were correctly positioned after the first save.

Happy to report that this works even better than in reach. I was able to quickly put together a perfectly flat floor made of 16 Coliseum Walls with only 4 save'n quits. The only caveat is that the pieces are turned 45º.
Tut to follow.

Raide

I am finding with magnets, you have to give them a second to settle right, else you can end up with mis-matched edges. If you find things are not lining up, you either have to grab each one to make it re-align, or you have to turn off magnets and Edit Co-ordinates.

It seems to be the best way is to use magnets for making the rough skeleton of a map and then turn them off to refine things.

Currently building a BTB map in Space. Feels good so far but I ran out of Gold so I cannot put it on my FileShare yet. :D Not sure if its a bit too big, so I may drop it down a bit for 4v4. I have tried to use some of the new items in there to flesh out the map and it does look better with a few decorative bits in there. 343 and CA need to get more decorative bits for players to use. They really freshen up a map and stop it from being grey/brown walls.

Mitsurux

Any one elses having issues with manual weapon placement (NOT Ordanance drop spawns)....

Weapons are placed in the level keeping default settings (just as I did in Reach), but when the map is tested in actual War Games mode.... nothing appears (This also happenend with Vehicles placed in the level when not using the specific "Spawn Pad" for a vehicle)

Player Spawns/Respawns work properly
Vehicle Spawn pads work
All added level building peices/scenery/bulding appears properly

What am i missing.... ??? Help Master forgers.. your my only hope

FyreWulff

Any one elses having issues with manual weapon placement (NOT Ordanance drop spawns)....

Weapons are placed in the level keeping default settings (just as I did in Reach), but when the map is tested in actual War Games mode.... nothing appears (This also happenend with Vehicles placed in the level when not using the specific "Spawn Pad" for a vehicle)

Player Spawns/Respawns work properly
Vehicle Spawn pads work
All added level building peices/scenery/bulding appears properly

What am i missing.... ??? Help Master forgers.. your my only hope

afiak the gametypes don't allow the weapons to actually spawn. You have to do them as Ordnance Drops.

NOKYARD

Player Trait Zones should be renamed Base Player Trait Zones.

They only affect the traits of base players. I have not tested with CTF or Oddball but they have no effect on the Grif character in Grifball.

Player Trait Zones should be renamed Base Player Trait Zones.

They only affect the traits of base players. I have not tested with CTF or Oddball but they have no effect on the Grif character in Grifball.

That explains so much... I thought they didn't work in War Games, only forge, because I was trying to use them in Flood, and the Flood aren't 'base'.

Mega :/

Mitsurux

afiak the gametypes don't allow the weapons to actually spawn. You have to do them as Ordnance Drops.

MEGATON... if its true that the only way weapons can be placed on a Forge map is though the use of Ordanance drop pads/zones.... that is a horrible design choice on 343i and CA ... I don't want the weapons to have way point markers.....

????

(though after looking at all of the various standard multiplayer maps in forge that appears to be the default way that CA created their maps..... )

Raide

Is it not possible to assign them to initial ordinance drops, have them instantly spawn at the start of the map and not have the waypoint marker? I am sure you can hide things like that. I will have to check into it.

MrBig

Is it not possible to assign them to initial ordinance drops, have them instantly spawn at the start of the map and not have the waypoint marker? I am sure you can hide things like that. I will have to check into it.

Also of note with using respawning Initial ordnance drops as an amalgamate, weapons will continue to spawn in even if the last spawn is still in play, because it's just spawning in the ordnance regardless of the weapon it contains.

Mitsurux

Also of note with using respawning Initial ordnance drops as an amalgamate, weapons will continue to spawn in even if the last spawn is still in play, because it's just spawning in the ordnance regardless of the weapon it contains.

Wow, that will really change things... and i'm going to have to re-think placement.. with that in mind...

RIP normal weapon spawns....

Retro

Wow, that will really change things... and i'm going to have to re-think placement.. with that in mind...

RIP normal weapon spawns....

Map design was always going to take a hit from Ordinance drops and Loadouts, since it takes weapon control from the designer and puts it in the hands of the player (the last person who should have any say in the matter). Another major shortcoming of H4's Forge.

Mitsurux

Map design was always going to take a hit from Ordinance drops and Loadouts, since it takes weapon control from the designer and puts it in the hands of the player (the last person who should have any say in the matter). Another major shortcoming of H4's Forge.

Which is why i was going to exclude them from all of my maps..... now i have to totally alter that way i was thinking.. in regards to map layout and in regards to weapons/placement etc.

Retro

Which is why i was going to exclude them from all of my maps..... now i have to totally alter that way i was thinking.. in regards to map layout and in regards to weapons/placement etc.

Yep. Even worse; the map I was working on was my usual "small-passages, tight corners" type map, since I grew up on that sort of thing with Goldeneye and such... but because of Loadouts now all of my cool long hallways with bits of cover and side-passages will degrade into "Two guys standing at opposite ends taking potshots at eachother" because I have no control over the range of weapons on my own damn map. Likewise, I can't make a weapon like the Shotgun a power weapon (since, you know, tight spaces and close quarters are its ideal conditions) because anyone can run around with one, or the ordinance can drop while one is still active.

Haven't finished that map either, since the initial layout. Still too scared to open it and find all of my careful placement shifted, and every time I think about setting up weapons and spawns I just think "Why bother?". Forge needs an update. Quick. And that needs to include regular weapon placement.

FyreWulff

Yep. Even worse; the map I was working on was my usual "small-passages, tight corners" type map, since I grew up on that sort of thing with Goldeneye and such... but because of Loadouts now all of my cool long hallways with bits of cover and side-passages will degrade into "Two guys standing at opposite ends taking potshots at eachother" because I have no control over the range of weapons on my own damn map. Likewise, I can't make a weapon like the Shotgun a power weapon (since, you know, tight spaces and close quarters are its ideal conditions) because anyone can run around with one, or the ordinance can drop while one is still active.

Haven't finished that map either, since the initial layout. Still too scared to open it and find all of my careful placement shifted, and every time I think about setting up weapons and spawns I just think "Why bother?". Forge needs an update. Quick. And that needs to include regular weapon placement.

That's a notable downside to not being able to control the weapons on the map. For instance, let's say in Halo 3 or Reach, I want to make an branch off the main flow, let's say CTF. I entice people to go down that branch by putting a power weapon in it, and it also establishes a weapon loop.

Now any branches off my map are near pointless since people can obtain power weapons anywhere on the map. Weapon loops are just completely gone.

Raide

That's a notable downside to not being able to control the weapons on the map. For instance, let's say in Halo 3 or Reach, I want to make an branch off the main flow, let's say CTF. I entice people to go down that branch by putting a power weapon in it, and it also establishes a weapon loop.

Now any branches off my map are near pointless since people can obtain power weapons anywhere on the map. Weapon loops are just completely gone.

I wonder if you can use Trait Zones to stop people calling in Ordinance anywhere they like? Set the Initial Ordinance to drop the heavy stuff and then put a Trait Zone over the map that inhibits Personal Ordinance.

Retro

I've never bothered with a CoD game (saw my brother playing it, looked terrible); are ordinance drops something they do too, or is this something 343 cooked up entirely on their own? I know they had loadouts, which are bad enough, but I'm curious about this "Weapons just drop wherever, whenever lol" thing.

It definitely feels like with Ordinance and Loadouts, the best maps for the H4 multiplayer environment will be the ones that don't have any theme or particularly strong flavor. In other words, bland maps that cater to the possibility of everyone having everything in the sandbox at anytime.

MrBig

I've never bothered with a CoD game (saw my brother playing it, looked terrible); are ordinance drops something they do too, or is this something 343 cooked up entirely on their own? I know they had loadouts, which are bad enough, but I'm curious about this "Weapons just drop wherever, whenever lol" thing.

It definitely feels like with Ordinance and Loadouts, the best maps for the H4 multiplayer environment will be the ones that don't have any theme or particularly strong flavor. In other words, bland maps that cater to the possibility of everyone having everything in the sandbox at anytime.

I haven't played COD since COD4, but weapons were entirely unlock/loadout based then, there was no on-map delivery system.

Why can't you make the shotgun a power weapon? Having multiple drop over time isn't a real problem. It changes the dynamic slightly, but it's still almost always going to be one gun. And what do you mean anyone can run around with one? What are you sayiinngggg. Personal ordnance? Don't play with that on?

Playing Ragnarok CTF, for instance, people still fight over Rockets and Laser. Those can be set to repeat. I don't understand the quibble. Halo's a bit different, but weapon placement through ordnance is a small change, not a blocker. Waypoints on weapons are a great feature and focus the battle. Why do you want people to watch timers?

Mitsurux

Or they just respawn with a power weapon load out..... no longer is their a race or fight for a power weapon on a level, when it seems it would be possible to play with weapons not even intended (in the designers eyes) for the level...

kinda bummed actually...

Why why why why why? There's nothing about removing consistent weapon spawn times and adding a waypoint that changes how maps should be inherently designed.

Or they just respawn with a power weapon load out..... no longer is their a race or fight for a power weapon on a level, when it seems it would be possible to play with weapons not even intended (in the designers eyes) for the level...

kinda bummed actually...

Like I said, people still fight over power weapons. "Sticky Detonator's back up!" "Let's rush Scattershot this time." "I'll go Rocks and you guys go Laser." Have you played Halo 4?

Mitsurux

Like I said, people still fight over power weapons. "Sticky Detonator's back up!" "Let's rush Scattershot this time." "I'll go Rocks and you guys go Laser." Have you played Halo 4?

How do you know the detonators back up? The way point! which is what I as a map designer wish to turn off.....

but unfortuantly there dosen't seem to be a way.....

Why do the weapons on the level even matter if you have power weapons (ie you custom personal load out) to begin with...

?

How do you know the detonators back up? The way point! which is what I as a map designer wish to turn off.....

but unfortuantly there dosen't seem to be a way.....

Why do the weapons on the level even matter if you have power weapons (ie you custom personal load out) to begin with...

?

Power weapons? I'm glad the days of searching for a DMR are over. I don't think it's on par with the Sniper Rifle, Rockets, Needler, Shotgun, etc., though.

I have Affinity, Think Twice (also made by A 3 Legged Goat, Sven Neitzsche, and Jonzorz 124), and Chateau in matchmaking. :)

I'll be honest, I thought (and still think) Think Twice wasn't that great, Affinity was enjoyable enough, but I FUCKING LOVED Chateau! No one would ever vote for it. It would always piss me off.

I'm like, "Guys, this map is symmetrical, the spawns aren't broken, the sightlines are interesting, theres multiple approaches to each encounter, cool jumps, intelligent weapon placement, c'mon guys!" and they'd just be like "No, we're picking Pinnacle because we're idiots."

Seriously, that map was sick.

Reposted from THC:

Just a tip for anyone testing custom maps... I HIGHLY suggest disabling personal ordnance while playtesting. Some of the drops can really screw up how your map is played. Shotguns, Beam Rifles, etc. Unlike the default maps, we cannot control personal ordnance access based on map... only based on gametype.

I'll be honest, I thought (and still think) Think Twice wasn't that great, Affinity was enjoyable enough, but I FUCKING LOVED Chateau! No one would ever vote for it. It would always piss me off.

I'm like, "Guys, this map is symmetrical, the spawns aren't broken, the sightlines are interesting, theres multiple approaches to each encounter, cool jumps, intelligent weapon placement, c'mon guys!" and they'd just be like "No, we're picking Pinnacle because we're idiots."

Seriously, that map was sick.

lol... awesome. Glad you liked Chateau. It was where I was starting to branch out for more complex layouts. Think Again stretches this even further so hopefully it is to your likeness as well. :) Affinity and Think Twice were both ridiculously simple and were more tools for my progression. Affinity was about learning theme, and Think Twice was about learning texturing.

Mitsurux

Power weapons? I'm glad the days of searching for a DMR are over. I don't think it's on par with the Sniper Rifle, Rockets, Needler, Shotgun, etc., though.

But what if the map being constructed was excluding (or limiting) specific weapons by design?

I guess it really boils down to personal preferences when it come to map/weapon layout and design... and in the end there is no "law" just different tastes/views...

External Memory

Neo Member
Reposted from THC:

Just a tip for anyone testing custom maps... I HIGHLY suggest disabling personal ordnance while playtesting. Some of the drops can really screw up how your map is played. Shotguns, Beam Rifles, etc. Unlike the default maps, we cannot control personal ordnance access based on map... only based on gametype.

I don't get why you'd be reposting this, after having always made sure to keep up with the current playlist gametypes to playtest as close as possible to MM conditions.

Why ban personal ordnance at all? That seems like jumping the gun straight to a nuclear option to me, unless you only mean for initial playtests.

Either tweak PO in-gametype to your map, simulating the way the default maps seem to have been code-tweaked, or go with the "vanilla" personal ordnance settings in Infinity Slayer and design a map accordingly. The latter option is limiting, I know, but if that's the rub then folks gotta adapt.

I imagine that 343 will have to either run Infinity Slayer pairings of custom maps and gametype variants with tuned PO's, or, less likely, run a Slayer variant without PO entirely a community map playlist (though you'd have a better idea about that than me). But not running your map through some sort of personal ordnance test, simply because you can't get it to work perfectly with vanilla PO, seems very misguided.

I'd say consider tweaking it at some point. The likelihood that 343 will put community maps in some kind of slayer playlist without PO seems miniscule, so maps need to work with it or some variant of it somehow.

FyreWulff

Why ban personal ordnance at all? That seems like jumping the gun straight to a nuclear option to me, unless you only mean for initial playtests.

Either tweak PO in-gametype to your map, simulating the way the default maps seem to have been code-tweaked, or go with the "vanilla" personal ordnance settings in Infinity Slayer and design a map accordingly. The latter option is limiting, I know, but if that's the rub then folks gotta adapt.

I imagine that 343 will have to either run Infinity Slayer pairings of custom maps and gametype variants with tuned PO's, or, less likely, run a Slayer variant without PO entirely a community map playlist. But not running your map through some sort of personal ordnance test, simply because you can't get it to work perfectly with vanilla PO, seems very misguided.

I'd say consider tweaking it at some point. The likelihood that 343 will put community maps in some kind of slayer playlist without PO seems miniscule, so maps need to work with it or some variant of it somehow.

It's not misguided. 343 has their own tools they use to customize personal ordnance per map. We don't. And 343 (nor bungie) has ever accepted map/gametype pairings for matchmaking - so at this point, you basically have to Forge towards the default set of "everything".

Testing without PO at all makes sense as it'll give you a better idea of map flows under ideal conditions instead of people hanging out on one part of a smaller map because the game keeps giving them Rocket Launchers.

They could/should add it in a TU. We have the Pause menu options for Trait zones, add another category for Allowed Personal Ordnance.

Top Bottom