• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•12-14•13 - many stay true to Gru, less grow up, fewer get rimmed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Banned
The scene was also an extremely slow action scene, which you said audiences weren't interested in.

Well the box office results kinda prove the trailer didn't excite the masses.

What? The special effects in Pacific Rim are incredible, and part of the reason they're incredible is that the action is slowed down and comprehensible. Every blow matters instead of being a frenetic mishmash of shards of metal. It also has a material feel that is missing in Transformers; when a jaeger runs, you feel like a thousand ton robot is actually running thanks to the combination of sound, editing, and special effects. When a Transformer robot climbs a building, it suddenly stops being several tons and instead becomes as light as a person.

It's not even like the movie is lacking money shots. Pretty much everyone who watched the movie thinks
the reveal of Otachi's wings and subsequently Gypsy Danger's sword
was amazing.

I actually agree with you, I liked that the action in Pacific Rim was easy to follow and the mechs had a real weight to them.

But 'Gipsy Danger having loud footsteps as it walks down an empty street' doesn't exactly sell movie tickets. Moments like Bumblebee running up the side of a building and catching Shia LaBeouf and transforming back into a car in mid-air before they hit the ground is what gets people into theaters. If people are gonna pay $17.50 for an IMAX 3D ticket they wanna see spectacular sequences like that.

I actually agree with you, I liked that the action in Pacific Rim was easy to follow and the mechs had a real weight to them.

But 'Gipsy Danger having loud footsteps as it walks down an empty street' doesn't exactly sell movie tickets. Moments like Bumblebee running up the side of a building and catching Shia LaBeouf and transforming back into a car in mid-air before they hit the ground is what gets people into theaters. If people are gonna pay $17.50 for an IMAX 3D ticket they wanna see spectacular sequences like that.

Basically this. When I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim, I just thought the movie didn't look very enjoyable. After seeing Iron Man 3, Star Trek, World War Z, Man of Steel, and Fast and Furious 6, I'm really burnt out on action movies. I imagine the general market is as well. The trailer didn't look particularly interesting, and it didn't really have any recognizable big name actors to grab anyone's attention. Not sure what people expected.

Just a personal anecdote, but I went to PR today at a 1:05 2D standard showing, like I have been doing for almost all movies recently like WWZ, MoS, This is the End, Despicable Me 2, and so on.

PR had, by far, the most people during this showing than any of those other movies. Could just be random, but I would honestly guess that you could put MoS + This if the End + Despicable Me 2 Sunday 1PM showings together and wouldn't get the PR group there today.

Could be a good sign going forward.

they should have thrown verisimilitude out the window and just gone full anime.

I just came back from seeing it a 2nd time. Went to see it Thursday aswell. Pretty good movie, but the marketing was god awful. My fiance was expecting an horrible movie based on the trailers, but she ended up liking the movie.

I'm definitely getting the blu-ray when it comes out.

Tagg9

It's the final death blow for Lone Ranger - sounds like Disney is allowing theatre owners to bail on their "four week minimum" contract after only two weeks. (According to BoxOffice.com)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's the final death blow for Lone Ranger - sounds like Disney is allowing theatre owners to bail on their "four week minimum" contract after only two weeks. (According to BoxOffice.com)

Damn. I guess it's to be expected with a per theater average like that. Guess I'll be seeing this in the dollar theater very soon.

daftstar

Just got back from Pacific Rim and it was awesome. My theatre was pretty packed too save the first few rows and everyone seemed to enjoy it as well. Great movie.

TheWraith

Whats with all this PR bomba talk? It might not do gangbuster numbers at the moment in the US but wasnt it on par so far with WWZ, which managed to do well after several weeks? Also Asia, one of its target markets, is doing really really well. Way too early to call bomba on it, unless you only read Variety.

PBY

Banned
Whats with all this PR bomba talk? It might not do gangbuster numbers at the moment in the US but wasnt it on par so far with WWZ, which managed to do well after several weeks? Also Asia, one of its target markets, is doing really really well. Way too early to call bomba on it, unless you only read Variety.
It's not good man.

No, WWZ did almost double the opening weekend.

phileep

I did my part for Pacific Rim. Saw it in 3D on Friday night with my brother, bro in law and Dad. We loved it so much that my bro in law and I ended up going back today to see it in 2D along with my nephews and wife. Everyone loved it. My wife thought it was going to be awful and the first thing she said when it was over was "That was awesome." It's just such a fun movie.

That said, cool to see DM2 at number 1. Happy to see a studio other than Pixar and Dreamworks finding great success in the animation market.

Grown Ups 2 success makes me sad, but that really wasn't going to eat up at of the Pacific Rim crowd. If anything, DM2 stopped GU2 from doing even better, so at least there is that way to look at it.

I'm pretty happy about the Lone Ranger collapse. Was a huge Depp fan but I'm tired of his shtick these days.

Akahige

I did my part for Pacific Rim. Saw it in 3D on Friday night with my brother, bro in law and Dad. We loved it so much that my bro in law and I ended up going back today to see it in 2D along with my nephews and wife. Everyone loved it. My wife thought it was going to be awful and the first thing she said when it was over was "That was awesome." It's just such a fun movie.

That said, cool to see DM2 at number 1. Happy to see a studio other than Pixar and Dreamworks finding great success in the animation market.

Grown Ups 2 success makes me sad, but that really wasn't going to eat up at of the Pacific Rim crowd. If anything, DM2 stopped GU2 from doing even better, so at least there is that way to look at it.

I'm pretty happy about the Lone Ranger collapse. Was a huge Depp fan but I'm tired of his shtick these days.
I hope he takes a long hard look at where his career has been going and try to rectify it.

I hope he takes a long hard look at where his career has been going and try to rectify it.

i enjoyed lone ranger but i agree with this. it would be so awesome if he just ditched big blockbusters after pirates 5 is done.

same goes for tom cruise after whatever piece of shit he's working on right now.

phileep

Yeah. I feel like Jack Sparrow is the worst thing that ever happened to his career, even though at the same time it was probably the best thing to happen to his career. I know he's always played eccentric roles, but I feel like Sparrow was the beginning of him just playing overly absurd roles and in a lot of ways solidifying his place as "the weird guy" actor. Lone Ranger just feels like a time where they thought "How else can we make Depp even more weird? Well, let's just put a bird on his head." Enough is enough. I still want to love him though.

Akahige

i enjoyed lone ranger but i agree with this. it would be so awesome if he just ditched big blockbusters after pirates 5 is done.

same goes for tom cruise after whatever piece of shit he's working on right now.
yeah I enjoyed The Lone Ranger too but enough is enough on these type of films.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah. I feel like Jack Sparrow is the worst thing that ever happened to his career, even though at the same time it was probably the best thing to happen to his career. I know he's always played eccentric roles, but I feel like Sparrow was the beginning of him just playing overly absurd roles and in a lot of ways solidifying his place as "the weird guy" actor. Lone Ranger just feels like a time where they thought "How else can we make Depp even more weird? Well, let's just put a bird on his head." Enough is enough. I still want to love him though.
It's not even like Jack Sparrow was particularly absurd in the first pirates movie. It felt like his silliness jumped up several levels in the first sequel, probably because they knew audiences liked Captain Jack Sparrow's sillier moments in the first movie. It's the "If people like ice cream, they should eat ice cream every meal of every day" line of thinking.

Dead

well not really...yet
Depp's Tonto didn't even feel like a sparrow retread. Had some wackyness to it but was surprised to see a story arc with emotion behind the character. Kinda bummed about the lone bomba. Much better than pirates 2 and 3

Saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse in Loudon, VA. My fave theater btw. Awesome theaters you guys have.

I am happy that you got to enjoy yourself and that you guys got a theater up there! Very fortunate since there are so few of them, we are growing though :). Everyone deserves to go to the Drafthouse.

Scarecrow

He looked goofy in Lone Ranger, but I felt his character was way more subdued than just being a Jack Sparrow pallet swap.

Toxi

Banned
He looked goofy in Lone Ranger, but I felt his character was way more subdued than just being a Jack Sparrow pallet swap.
Most people don't know this because the marketing showed his most Jack Sparrow moments. The scene of walking on the train looks just like the moment in the first Pirates where Jack Sparrow is just walking on a beam and bullets are flying past him.

I'm not sure if I really want to watch the Lone Ranger or not. I like westerns, but it looked less like a classical western and more like a Pirates movie in western clothing. The news about Tonto not being just another Jack Sparrow is appealing at least.

Dead

well not really...yet
Lone Ranger also doesn't have the romance focus from the Pirates movies, many would see that as a benefit.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't know how Lone Ranger could have fared better in theaters, but Im confident whenever it comes out on blu-ray, it will gain a bit more love, kinda like John Carter.

Yeah it's great when a well reviewed and well loved movie doesn't do well...

The biggest thing about Pacific Rim not doing better is that studios will probably be more hesitant than ever to sink lots of money into original IPs, and Del Toro will not get another huge budget for a long while.

Even if the movie turns out to be a financial success or not, that does not diminish how much enjoyment I, and I am sure many others, derived from it.

Jimrpg

Let's be thankful that we had a Pacific Rim in the first place.

As has been said, $180-200m budget, no bankable stars, brand new movie, no previous familiarity with mainstream audience, lesser known director. Whoever greenlit this thing was doing us a favour.

It was never going to do $70m+ in the first weekend. There aren't that many movies (that are not family movies or sequels) that do that these days. The Avengers doesn't count cause that had all the individual characters movies as build up.

And when you don't get that big weekend on the first weekend, there aren't as many people to spread WOM and it just spirals from there. Avatar, Titanic, these movies with massive legs are not of the norm.

Look at Real Steel - i thought that was great, but no one in the mainstream wants robots unless its got a name like Transformers.

Would I have preferred them to trim the budget back to $100m... hell no. We got a great movie and looks like we just have to buy a few more copies on bluray to get a sequel.

Hoping for $150m US and $300m worldwide as best case scenario.

I don't know how Lone Ranger could have fared better in theaters, but Im confident whenever it comes out on blu-ray, it will gain a bit more love, kinda like John Carter.

i didn't even give a shit about the film when i saw the trailers but after watching it i'll probably end up picking it up on bluray.

Jimrpg

just saw that Grown Ups 2 has a metacritic score of 20 and a user rating of 2.7 vs PR of 65 and user rating of 7.3 and still managed to get beat.

what is wrong with people?

Welp, now I feel really bad about seeing This is the End tonight and not Pacific Rim. Not that I had a choice ('twas date night, and her pick), but still...man. Poor Del Toro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom