• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops site live, game releases Nov 9th

Mr Sandman said:
I loved the tone of WaW and it was even brought well over into the multiplayer. Tons of Saving Private Ryan moments. Like seeing a guy run up to a tank with a satchel charge and not getting clear of the blast range exploding himself to bits, or a bazooka rocket nailing a guy up in a church tower and just seeing a red blood cloud and limbs. Really grotesque and gritty stuff that made you go "oooo" as opposed to MW2's Halo ragdoll stuff which was more on the funny side. I have faith Treyarch will bring this tone back.

theignoramus said:
Yeah WaW is a cool game, replaying the campaign right now and it's kind of surprising how savage everything in it is. I like that the combat in WaW is brutal enough to make you feel like you're a participant in in something utterly hideous. I like that this message wasnt communicated in the ham fisted manner of,say, No Russian.

This, I just felt the game allowed you to make an emotional connection more. It was cool that two incidents actually changed the story progression (and if you got trophies). I mean Treyarch introduced the concept of non-linear story into a COD game, I wish people gave them credit for trying something IW was never up to doing.

I also loved the very unconventional type of score Sean Murray provided for the game. The mix of electronic and traditional orchestra was great. Blackcats was so epic at the end of the mission. The use of heavy drums to sound like bullets was a great idea.

Chrange

Banned
I liked the multiplayer in WaW and didn't mind the single player, even if it felt like I'd been there and done that a few times already in the series, so I'll probably get this one. After MW2 though, I'm getting a little worn out on the solo run-and-gun style of multiplayer. Bad Company 2 has gotten me into more of a team-oriented kick, but that might wear thin by the fall anyway :lol

So I've been thinking and you know what would this game really needs?

Online multiplayer spiltscreen

I mean that's why Halo is always played when my friends come over. If me and a friend(s) could all hop online on one console WITH OUT SEPARATE TAGS I would buy this one right away.

Mileena

Banned
Game2Death said:
So I've been thinking and you know what would this game really needs?

Online multiplayer spiltscreen

I mean that's why Halo is always played when my friends come over. If me and a friend(s) could all hop online on one console WITH OUT SEPARATE TAGS I would buy this one right away.
That would make boosting even easier. Then people wouldn't even need to find a person to boost with, they could just do it themselves. Sad, sad people.

corkscrewblow said:
That would make boosting even easier. Then people wouldn't even need to find a person to boost with, they could just do it themselves. Sad, sad people.
But there's ways around it such as an unranked playlist (which allows splitscreen), force same team, or just make it so you can't rank up with a guest.

kuYuri

Some more info on the game:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ck-ops-with-treyarch-studio-head-mark-lamia/1

Beyond the single-player story, the game will have a cooperative mode for two to four players and an online multiplayer mode. As for the story, players will see it story unfold from the point of view of at least two main characters in multiple covert international conflicts. "Our writers are focused on telling an epic story," Lamia says. "You will see the evolution of some of these characters through time and the conflict."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...05/first-impressions-call-of-duty-black-ops/1

Hovering above from inside an SR-71 Blackbird, players will send orders guiding a group of four soldiers past a convoy of Russians in the Ural Mountains. They simply point to areas on the screen and hit a button to lead the squad, so don't expect a complexity of, say, a Ghost Recon. But, similar to the view above an AC-130 gunship in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the SR-71 scenario offered a fascinating perspective of the battlefield.

The name of the level, "WMD," is set in 1968, during the height of the Cold War. The players' character is part of a larger endeavor to stop the spread of Communism. As the foursome moves through the facility, they come to a relay station they must take out. One by one, players will pick off unsuspecting foes with a scoped crossbow. Similar to previous Call of Duty titles, players will click to hold their breath and fire away.

This is when we check out one of the franchise's new features: alternate ammo that can be changed on the fly. As the group gets closer, they find an area with at least a dozen enemy soldiers, two of which sit by a truck. The lead character switches from a standard arrow tip on his crossbow to an explosive tip. Once fired, a beacon flashes for a couple seconds and boom goes the enemy. The lead character would eventually switch to an AUG assault rifle that could house attachments, although none were available during this level.

w1bo8i.jpg

22b7kw.jpg

amar212

Patrick Bateman said:

Now they have just give us the Machete as equipment and Black Ops is on the path to ultimate win.

However, Akimbo Machete should be tonned-down IMHO.

Google told me it's actualy called Jungle Master :D

norm-490890c6c86fa-Rambo+%282008%29.jpeg

bishoptl said:
Turok's explosive/regular arrow combos making a comeback! Told you, suckas!
Let's hope there is no large elevator with no check points, eh? :D

AwesomeSyrup said:
Is that an actual screen from the game? It kinda looks like MW2.
Isn't the engine shared between each CoD game? or at least starting with MW1 onwards.

Diablohead said:
Let's hope there is no large elevator with no check points, eh? :D

Isn't the engine shared between each CoD game? or at least starting with MW1 onwards.
Yeah, but I meant it looked like it was right out of one of the MW2 levels.

WoodWERD

Tagging people with a torque bow in Gears was about the most rewarding type of kill I've experienced in my many years of online shooters...intrigued!

Loxley

Patrick Bateman said:

Technically speaking that guy was shot with a regular arrow and just fell onto a landmine in the water, but still awesome :D

Glad to hear they're changing up the arsenal. The explosive-tipped arrow-firing crossbow from Far Cry 2 was one of my favorite weapons to use.

jlevel13

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Had to hold his tongue from saying Activision here:

:lol

Actually makes one wonder, since they're going back in the new game, was the decision to go peer-to-peer in MW2 Activisions or IW's call. Doesn't really matter at this point, I guess, but I'm glad to read dedicated servers are coming back.

Ogs said:
PC version at least = Dedicated Servers =]

:D

I tried those free weekends for MW2 on Steam, fucking terribly laggy.

Just remember Treyarch, filling progression bars is nice for some people, but don't unbalance your game! I swear if they expect me to go through 30 levels of getting donged by air support without cold blooded......ugh not a chance.

kuYuri

Scans from magazine, plus a little more info. I pulled out some interesting ones:

- Spas-12 confirmed with Dragon's Breath incendiary rounds

"You're not just relegated to mini-gun man who holds down the trigger and nudges the aiming reticle around the screen. For once, you're flying the helicopter. And firing the missiles. And the mini-guns. That's a lot better, eh?" OXM

- There will be "dedicated co-op" with separate levels. Treyarch changed the subject when we asked about World at War's hugely popular Nazi Zombies.

- A multiplayer beta's being "considered", Lamia told us with a literal wink.

- Changes are being made to the matchmaking to "make it easier for [players] to get into games with their friends."

- Create-a-Class 2.0 will allow you to customise yourself like never before. This should include kit and appearance items as well as perks.

EDIT: Link removed.

Wallach

Wow, sounds very nice. Go Treyarch. And yes, we do like dedicated servers. A lot.

Edit - Wait, why would they actually use Dragon's Breath rounds...? I guess for the same reason you'd use explosive-tipped arrows... :lol

Top Bottom