• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Wii is going strong. New games (content?) before E3.

FoneBone

PokéKong said:
But I'm willing to bet it's possible to make a DS compatible game with with stereoscopic graphics when played on 3DS, much like many enhanced GB games during the Color transitional period.
I'm willing to bet you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Nuclear Muffin said:
They will not work on another DS game at this point. They will be shifting over to the 3DS completely and they wouldn't waste their time with a 3DS upgrade of Black & White. No, they will be working on an original Pokemon 3DS title.

Oh and they did not make the Stadium games, HAL Laboratory made them. It will be interesting to see how they handle 3DS development, considering their lack of 3D experience.

I wonder if they'll get HAL or Genius Sonority to help them out and go full 3D, or if they'll stick with sprites?
I think they're prepping the fan-base to go 3D. Thats the feeling I got when they, out of no where, made the latest Pokemon season have a 3D opener showing off all these great Pokemon models along with how the new movies trailers have a mix between 3D and 2D (but it seems like the movie is completely 2D from the latest trailer)

Plus 3D models would just make everything easier. Maybe us fans wouldn't have to wait 15 more years to get more then idle animations if they do 3D.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Waste their time? The third version of Pokemon sells phenomenally. The first mainline pokemon game released on the 3DS will sell tons. Considering they've been on the current formula of two new games, third version and then a remake of a past generation. I don't see them not making a Gray version of pokemon that is 3DS compatible. We'll see how it goes but I think Gamefreak/Nintendo will definetly want to jump on board quickly with Pokemon 3DS. Then Pokemon Gen 6 can happen and they can tote it as truly revolutionizing the series with 3D and gain even more hype and use it as a main selling feature.

Although I'll say that they aren't working on a stadium like game or the Pokemon Wii game and that it's more than likely Genuis Sonority.

It would be a waste of time and man power.

From what I know they can't make a DS game with 3DS enhancements such as "3D viewing/ street pass" etc. Its either going to be a DS game or a 3DS game. And if they make it for the 3DS they would be making an enhanced DS game for fans of a DS game who would have to throw down $250 just to get the system to play what is just a "better version" of the game they have on DS. That would be a stupid and bad choice and I don't think it would sell to it's full potential seeing as the 3RD game relies on you already having the console to play it on as its not much more then a better version of the game you already have.

If they were to make a 3rd version of 3DS only then I would think that it would have to be at the level of what their 3DS gen games will be to warrant Pokey-fans who have B&W getting a $250 system just for it. And if thats the case then they might was well make a new gen instead of wasting time trying to re-make BW on 3DS.

You bring up patterns ... Pokemon gen 5 is braking a lot of patterns. Coming out near the end of a console's life, having version exclusive areas, having 2 versions of a movie, being set in the US and already hinting at a new gen with in the first 2 versions. GF also have other patterns they follow such as never wasting time developing a main game for a handheld thats not of the current gen and always having the new gen games out for a system with in 2 years of that handheld's release as well as taking up to 2 years to make the 3rd version of a gen.

This is a very strange future for the series.

Speaking of Reggie, has GAF received this gift yet?

jF56M.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
MoogPaul said:
I thought Nintendo was like some huge company? You can't do more than two things at once?

They should have expanded more I agree.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I already know about that. Personally, I think it's a false platform listing (to try and keep next gen development a secret).

Either way, you won't see it at E3 since they only just released DKCR 4 months ago (unless you think they can make a playable demo in only 6 months?)

I continue to hope against hope that, after Prime 3, Retro was finally allowed to work on more than one game at a time. If it really took them 3+ years to make DKCR (plus shoe-horning Wiimote controls into the Prime series), that's just crazy. It would be really nice to see a new Retro title announced, not DKCR2. Although they did a fantastic job with it, I just find it so hard to believe that a side-scrolling platformer can take longer to make than 3D adventure games, especially ones as intricately designed and detailed as the Prime series.

Black-Wind said:
It would be a waste of time and man power.

From what I know they can't make a DS game with 3DS enhancements such as "3D viewing/ street pass" etc. Its either going to be a DS game or a 3DS game. And if they make it for the 3DS they would be making an enhanced DS game for fans of a DS game who would have to throw down $250 just to get the system to play what is just a "better version" of the game they have on DS. That would be a stupid and bad choice and I don't think it would sell to it's full potential seeing as the 3RD game relies on you already having the console to play it on as its not much more then a better version of the game you already have.

If they were to make a 3rd version of 3DS only then I would think that it would have to be at the level of what their 3DS gen games will be to warrant Pokey-fans who have B&W getting a $250 system just for it. And if thats the case then they might was well make a new gen instead of wasting time trying to re-make BW on 3DS.

You bring up patterns ... Pokemon gen 5 is braking a lot of patterns. Coming out near the end of a console's life, having version exclusive areas, having 2 versions of a movie, being set in the US and already hinting at a new gen with in the first 2 versions. GF also have other patterns they follow such as never wasting time developing a main game for a handheld thats not of the current gen and always having the new gen games out for a system with in 2 years of that handheld's release as well as taking up to 2 years to make the 3rd version of a gen.

This is a very strange future for the series.
Well I'm speculating that they'll make the 3rd version, 3DS exclusive. Also, you bring up sales. The third version usually sells about 6-8 million. I could see that number greatly increase if they released the third version as the first main pokemon game on 3DS. Gamefreak is a fairly large studio. They were able to make Platinum, HG/SS and B/W each exactly a year apart from each other. They were also able to release Fr/Lg and Emerald in the same year. That suggests to me that there's at least two teams that alternate. I think Gamefreak is capable of within the first year and a half or so of the 3DS make Pokemon Grey which uses the 3D effect and other additional content to make it slightly distinctive from B/W then release 6th Gen a year after that. However, you make good points. I could see it going either way at this point.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Well I'm speculating that they'll make the 3rd version, 3DS exclusive. Also, you bring up sales. The third version usually sells about 6-8 million. I could see that number greatly increase if they released the third version as the first main pokemon game on 3DS. Gamefreak is a fairly large studio. They were able to make Platinum, HG/SS and B/W each exactly a year apart from each other. They were also able to release Fr/Lg and Emerald in the same year. That suggests to me that there's at least two teams that alternate. I think Gamefreak is capable of within the first year and a half or so of the 3DS make Pokemon Grey which uses the 3D effect and other additional content to make it slightly distinctive from B/W then release 6th Gen a year after that. However, you make good points. I could see it going either way at this point.
Pokemon Crystal is the lowest selling mainline title at 3.5 Million. Thats even lower than the shitty 3rd gen 3rd version.

Why? Thats pretty simple ... they made it exclusive to the GBC and all there really was that was stepped up on was the colors. Pokemon Fans didn't feel the need to go out and buy a GBC just to play which was "just an enhanced version" of the game they already had.

If they make the 3rd version for the 3DS what they plan on making the Gen 6 titles like (Which I naturally assume is 3D modeled Pokemon, 3D Modeled world and characters, full animations for battle, AR play, street pass, pokemon walking with you and so on) then yes, I can see them selling just as well as a the original versions, kinda like an actual next gen title. But I still think that would be a waste of time when they can be working on the actual gen 6 titles. BUT that could make a GREAT foundation for the 6 gen titles and they can reuse models and animations for the Pokemon

So who knows.

Black-Wind said:
Pokemon Crystal is the lowest selling mainline title at 3.5 Million. Thats even lower than the shitty 3rd gen 3rd version.

Why? Thats pretty simple ... they made it exclusive to the GBC and all there really was that was stepped up on was the colors. Pokemon Fans didn't feel the need to go out and buy a GBC just to play which was "just an enhanced version" of the game they already had.

If they make the 3rd version for the 3DS what they plan on making the Gen 6 titles like (Which I naturally assume is 3D modeled Pokemon, 3D Modeled world and characters, full animations for battle, AR play, street pass, pokemon walking with you and so on) then yes, I can see them selling just as well as a the original versions, kinda like an actual next gen title. But I still think that would be a waste of time when they can be working on the actual gen 6 titles. BUT that could make a GREAT foundation for the 6 gen titles and they can reuse models and animations for the Pokemon

So who knows.
There's a huge difference between the Game Boy Color and 3DS. The 3DS is the next gen handheld. There's a huge amount of other games coming out other than Pokemon that will likely appeal to Pokemon fans. The Game Boy Color was a revision and some games were color enhanced but there were very few color exclusive games. The install base will also probably be a lot greater than Color was. Another thing was that the GBA was on the horizons going to be released soon.

I hope what he is referring to are some nice unexpected announcements landing shortly before actual software launches - like ExciteBots, NSMB Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M etc. The announcement to release period for all of those was mercifully short...

that said, I'm feeling kind of done with Wii if I'm honest. I'll play the big guns, but I want the next Nintendo home console if I'm perfectly honest.

sfog

Lord_Byron28 said:
The Game Boy Color was a revision and some games were color enhanced but there were very few color exclusive games... Another thing was that the GBA was on the horizons going to be released soon.

I definitely think the GBA's arrival probably hurt Crystal's potential, but there were far more GBC-exclusive games than GB-compatible ones overall. It's roughly a 3/4 to 1/4 split among the US library, and the other regions are similar.

Maxrunner

[Nintex] said:
Woah, Falafelkid it has been too long I simply can't believe he's still stuck in the 2006 Nintendo revolution nurbs bullshit era and gets paid for it.
he seems legit. Its an enterview with konno and he says the wii2 will be dufferent like wii was?

Lord_Byron28 said:
There's a huge difference between the Game Boy Color and 3DS. The 3DS is the next gen handheld. There's a huge amount of other games coming out other than Pokemon that will likely appeal to Pokemon fans. The Game Boy Color was a revision and some games were color enhanced but there were very few color exclusive games. The install base will also probably be a lot greater than Color was. Another thing was that the GBA was on the horizons going to be released soon.

I know the 3DS is another beast all together, this will actually be the first handheld I buy NOT because it has a new Pokemon on it. I believe theres far too many "ifs". IF there are games that appeal to Pokemon fans, IF they can get on board by other means, and if all else fails WILL they be willing to buy a $250 handheld for a "better version" of a DS game?

I feel that they will need to make a large step up for the 3rd version if they want to make it good enough to warrant getting a 3DS for. If not then the fans will just wait for the Gen 6 titles if they don't have a 3DS. And given how they don't actually NEED a 3DS for the games this game would be supported by I wouldn't put it past them to just stick with the DS until given a Pokemon game worth updating for.

freddy

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Woah, Falafelkid it has been too long I simply can't believe he's still stuck in the 2006 Nintendo revolution nurbs bullshit era and gets paid for it.
The guy actually pulls a few decent interviews though with Nintendo people. I've seen him posting here actually so I'd like to hear more of what Konno had to say.

Top Bottom