• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Agreed.
The beauty of Mario games is that noobs get it at once, and experts can play around with awesome platforming.

Strange, Super Meat Boy pretty much instantly clicked for me. I play a fair amount of platform games though I guess. But yeah, the controls in Super Meat Boy are perfect and immaculate. They are easy to get and hard to master. They allow for a huge skill ceiling as well.

Tain

The game directly connected to a remote SQL database, huh? Man. That is wild.

funny how that response doesn't include a mea culpa for the initial security hole or the flippant dismissal thereof when he was approached about it.

There are a lot of funny things about that response.

TheExodu5

Banned
Strange, Super Meat Boy pretty much instantly clicked for me. I play a fair amount of platform games though I guess. But yeah, the controls in Super Meat Boy are perfect and immaculate. They are easy to get and hard to master. They allow for a huge skill ceiling as well.

Same here. The only Mario game where controls have clicked as much as Super Meat Boy for me is Super Mario World. I have a soft spot for momentum-less controls.

Dr.Hadji

Same here. The only Mario game where controls have clicked as much as Super Meat Boy for me is Super Mario World. I have a soft spot for momentum-less controls.

Super Mario Worlds mechanics are pretty similar to all the other Marios. The skid to stop timing is a bit shorter.

Check it out on my video here:

Also, momentum-less mechanics make the basic gameplay of the game less varied in terms of complex timing skills. When you don't have to plan ahead because of changes in momentum, you can essentially line up jumps and stop. But air and ground momentum generally requires forethought and adds complexity because the character moves in arcs. With Meat Boy some of the harder levels have to add lots of hazards, smarter enemies, or constricting hallways to build complex timing challenges. At the same time the more complex meat boy levels can easily be very linear. Nothing wrong with any of these things. But I'm just pointing out this is how it goes.

So I just found out there is another level I didn't get to called the end. I've gotten to the escape part but at the start you have to make a jump to the left where you land on a hanging edge as shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6p-vYLK5Y8

The person in that jumps from the right and does a flat jump, but whenever I jump I arc quite high and with the angle of descent it makes it impossible for me to make the jump. How do I do a flat jump like in that video?

TheExodu5

Banned
Super Mario Worlds mechanics are pretty similar to all the other Marios. The skid to stop timing is a bit shorter.

Check it out on my video here:

Also, momentum-less mechanics make the basic gameplay of the game less varied in terms of complex timing skills. When you don't have to plan ahead because of changes in momentum, you can essentially line up jumps and stop. But air and ground momentum generally requires forethought and adds complexity because the character moves in arcs. With Meat Boy some of the harder levels have to add lots of hazards, smarter enemies, or constricting hallways to build complex timing challenges. At the same time the more complex meat boy levels can easily be very linear. Nothing wrong with any of these things. But I'm just pointing out this is how it goes.

I shouldn't have said momentum-less, but Super Meat Boy and Super Mario World both have similar physics, though Super Meat Boy has even less momentum. They are both able to jump in one direction and change that direction in mid air. I love how nimble they both are.

It's weird, if you've played the game a lot before you'll notice that Meat Boy has slight momentum on the ground when using the D-pad to quickly reverse direction, but not the stick. It happens when you're running for a long distance and try to rapidly switch direction using the D-pad, I'm not sure if it's a bug because it happens on the 360 too. So yeah, there's that. And in the air Meat Boy has far more usable momentum than Mario has ever had, one of the secrets to getting good is to control that air momentum.

Platy

So the christmas achivement is the Golden Gift.

Anyone knows if you need to do it without diying or you only need to do this without closing the game ?

Boken

Banned
My game keeps getting an SQL server error when I try to access super meat world. Anybody know whats up with that? Windows firewall is off.

My game keeps getting an SQL server error when I try to access super meat world. Anybody know whats up with that? Windows firewall is off.

this happened.
itsfinetrustme.png

Chuckpebble

Huh. Funny that I missed out on all of this. The levels I played from Super Meat World were pretty enjoyable. Thing is, I got a whole bunch of finished games for Christmas, so...

As a security guy myself I find this whole thing both hilarious and deeply sad, that a "l33t coder" like Tommy could make such a rookie mistake...

Going from past history of Meat Boy patches I wouldn't expect it to be fixed in time for the Steam thing to finish. Anybody who still isn't convinced this was a shameless Xbox port plain and simple, go look at the leaderboards and notice how it says "gamertag" as opposed to "steam id"... It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that the info used to gain entry into Super Meat World in the .exe was the exact same thing used on the 360 version, just here this isn't a closed environment like XBLA, so it's a port in the worst kind of way if true.

there's a topic on the smb forums about it here and there are a few steam threads of ppl complaining. i'm not getting my hopes up for being able to play the xmas chapters anytime soon though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If you can't even own up to a mistake like that you're not a man in my book. smh

People should always be prepared to admit they're wrong if they're claiming things, especially when they do it looking cocky as fuck

Q: "How do you reconcile laughing off the database issue as "fine" and refusing offers of help on twitter with being butthurt that there really was an issue on formspring?
"

Ed: "im not sure what youre talking about, i have no idea what the database stuff really is, i dont program, and when i woke up i only heard about what happened through random tweets.

from what i saw though tommy never refused offers because this was something he was going to fix, he just told people it was fine and to leave it alone so he didnt have to worry about fixing it while he was away for xmas. but instead of leaving it alone people somehow took it as a refusal and decided to try to break things.

either way everything is always backed up and tommy rolled everything back to a previous state before i even woke up that day... i honestly dont understand what the big deal is. seems like jerks just wanted to be jerks, but in the end all that happened was both of us lost faith in people."
They are actually trying to get around it? Seriously?

So I decided to sit down and get the Golden Gift achievement...and it didn't unlock for me at all. Beat all the levels in order except for Socks which I completed last. Guess I'll be doing them again once everything gets fixed, but this is annoying.

cj_iwakura

I reached 6-5 after blitzing through World 5. Oh god do I hurt.

That part near the end of 6-5 made me take a breather.

__K

|--
S--|
|--S
S--|

Something like that, key on top then you have to go back down through a narrow spike tunnel. Not sure whether to drop and hope to land against the wall beneath the spike or jump down real careful like.

I reached 6-5 after blitzing through World 5. Oh god do I hurt.

That part near the end of 6-5 made me take a breather.

__K

|--
S--|
|--S
S--|

Something like that, key on top then you have to go back down through a narrow spike tunnel. Not sure whether to drop and hope to land against the wall beneath the spike or jump down real careful like.

There's a couple ways you could do it.

-You can get the key and do a tiny wall jump and sort of reverse into the opposite direction onto the opposite wall. It'll take a few tries but isn't very fast.

-You can get the key and go directly to the wall, then hold the opposite direction and quickly reverse back to almost hug the left saw and speed into the hole at the bottom.

-Or the "pro way" and just jump off the edge of the key area and fall straight down controlling your fall to miss the sawblades.

OR

You could totally bypass that area, by doing a tricky wall jump and ending up on the platform directly under that area. Very tricky to do first time though, expect to die over 500 times trying for it. But it's difficult to "explain" how it's done.

Here's a vid of somebody doing it to illustrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ORYuje1sJY

I just unlocked the kid on the xbox360 version of the game. I had no idea what I was in for. I found it by accident and haven't even beat the main game yet.
That was really, really difficult to beat. I wonder what percentage of people that own the game have done it? Man, that was hard.

I just unlocked the kid on the xbox360 version of the game. I had no idea what I was in for. I found it by accident and haven't even beat the main game yet.
That was really, really difficult to beat. I wonder what percentage of people that own the game have done it? Man, that was hard.

Steam has achievement statistics, and I think it says something like 7%

Exuro

Just got Captain Viridian(in game he's 'Capitan', not sure if purpose or typo).

But ugh, I have worlds 1-4 completely finished. World 5 Light side is almost done, just need to finish the first warpzone + bandages. Dark side is freaking destroying me though. Not sure if I'll be able to get Mr. Minecraft.

Falt

2 years in the making...

XQfur.jpg

Did I miss something? Or did they patch out the percentage glitch? 360 version.

I did pick up Golden God 2 or 3 levels before the last in Dark World Cotton Alley. Ho hum...
a6qBv.png

Any which way, I NEVER HAVE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES AGAIN!

^^^The warp zones and glitch levels also count toward that 106% total, so maybe that's the issue. If you already have those then yeah it's probably a glitch to do with the recent XBLA update.

Anybody else get really bad framerate issues with the newly added Teh Internets chapters?

Wallach

Remembered that I never went back to wrap up Golden God on my PC version, so I did that tonight. And now I will never play this game again.

AEREC

Sucks that he had to be cocky about it like that, on Twitter no less. Seeing that kind of stuff makes you lose respect for a person.

Which person?

The guy who hacked thier database just because he could...

or

The guy that just said thanks but no thanks...

Jasoco

Banned
If there's one thing we've learned recently it's that indie developers who make popular games people love eventually get really cocky and arrogant. If at least once or twice.

Got 200/200 but still need 4 levels in Cotton Alley Dark World to beat...but my goal was to get all achievements so I will (most likely) never play this game again, lol.
SMB.jpg

Just getting back into it, i stopped after i finished cotton alley last time and im just
finishing up for golden god.

A few rapture levels are kicking my ass, specifically the warp zones and the last few dark world levels.

Montresor

So what is necessary to get the 100% achievement in the XBLA version? The info from 360a.org seemed unsure of itself. It lists known requirements and "unconfirmed" requirements.

So what is necessary to get the 100% achievement in the XBLA version? The info from 360a.org seemed unsure of itself. It lists known requirements and "unconfirmed" requirements.

Pretty much shoot to do everything except 4 Dark Cotton Alley levels, and it should unlock. That includes all bandages, warp zones and glitch zones.

So finally booted up my "retro PC" which is a Pentium D 3.2GHz/2GBDDR/HD4760 AGP (with a good ole' 4:3 monitor :p), and realized I had a few old replays of Meat Boy on there. Weird to see how much I've improved since then, and found new strategies. So here they are, these are in no way my best or perfect runs, but their good strats all the same.

4-17x
4-18x The Kid (Note the awesome Steam message pop ups!) xD
5-11 4Bit
5-13
5-1
7-12x
7-3
7-6x
4-5x

Sorry for the crap quality sometimes, this particular rig is somewhat old and doesn't do great with FRAPS.

Emitan

Anyone else having issues with the game freezing on startup? I googled and it appears it means the game is having issues connecting to the custom level server? The game freezes for about 60 seconds on startup before a SQL error message appears. I've made sure the game is allowed in Windows Firewall but it's still not working.

Top Bottom