• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some thoughts on an open world Zelda

FryHole

So I didn't want to give further palpitations to anyone whose heart skips a beat each time the Zelda Wii U gameplay demo thread is bumped, but from discussion on there I got to thinking a bit about how Nintendo could create an open world that feels alive in the way that Majora’s Mask does (but without the time travel) and figured I'd knock some ideas into a new thread. I'd be interested to know if others would be happy if the game went in this direction, or if in general they think it's a good idea for a 'curated' open world.

The basic idea is that this open world is like a jigsaw, in that there is a defined end point (a final state of this world, changed in particular ways) and by your actions throughout the game you piece it together. The ‘pieces’ of this jigsaw are the dungeons and other story-progressing scenarios, and a group of NPCs-with-depth a la Majora’s Mask with an accompanying Bomber’s Notebook to keep track of names, locations and desires.

Your actions in the game transform the world – either in terms of geography (again, Majora’s Mask style such as
the thaw after Snowhead
, but permanent) or by altering where NPCs are, or what they do, or what they will give/sell to you.

The crucial thing about the NPCs is that they have a daily cycle so you have that 'living world' feeling, but it's something that they will repeat until you 'solve' their current cycle, at which point they'd move on to the next cycle and stay there until you intervene again. Each NPC would have multiple cycles and move from one to the next as you progressed through their arc in the game. It would be rather like a good old Lucasarts point and click, a character doing the same thing until you get the magic combination of items/words/actions to move them on to doing something new or change the state of the world or what locations you can access. Also, there's nothing quite like that moment where you induce a character - whose repeated lines and animations you've got thoroughly sick of - to do something new. I'd love a game full of this stuff.

As an example, taken and modified from the other thread. You have a farmer who goes about his daily chores, but each day (because he's desperate, you see, the farm is on the verge of bankruptcy) he tries to navigate a dangerous bandit region to get his wares to market to sell. Alas there are too many of them and he has to retreat. This cycle repeats daily - like MM it happens whether you're there or not - and nothing changes unless you intervene and kill the bandits. Now, each day the farmer can go to market and sell his stuff (as well as the daily chores) for a certain portion of the day. He keeps doing that each day from now on. One day in town you realise that someone comes to talk to him each day at the same time, and eavesdropping you see it's about opening a permanent shop in town. Problem is, the farmer can't afford it. You help out by investing some rupees, and now the farmer moves on to his third cycle. He will never now be found at the farm, but lives permanently in town. Maybe his daughter starts taking care of the farm, and now she has some problems that needs solving.

And so on - each cycle except the last one has some kind of failure state in which you intervene to move the NPC on to the next cycle, else it keeps repeating. And some NPC cycles could intertwine, you could have the farmer know how to create some fantastic weapon, but he's missing a key resource. On your travels you happen across a miner who ekes a living in a depleted area and wishes he could move in to the gem-rich mines in the mountains, except there's a huge monster living there (and it's a dungeon, ta-da!). Once you've completed that, the miner starts mining in this new spot and (perhaps via a few more interventions by your good self) these resources find their way to town, where the farmer can now knock together this weapon as repayment for your original investment.

At any point during the game, you still have an open world in which you can go anywhere (that you have the ability/tools to reach), but with each geographical or NPC change, the world has slightly transformed with some inhabitants running on a new rail. I really don't think it would take too many of these NPCs to really make the world come alive, and of course some could be more simple than others. And there is a defined end point, a stage at which you stand in a transformed world, having solved all the issues of all the clockwork NPCs, and earned every reward. At which point, with enough clever design, the post-game content could be a dungeon or area unlocked by item(s) earned by completing everything else. The jigsaw is then complete, and some degree of the illusion of life is maintained by everyone's final cycles.

As an aside, although it sounds formidable from a design and technical point of view, I think the most challenging thing would actually be a creative one, concocting cycles that would be believably repeated over multiple days so the illusion of an ongoing world doesn't buckle under the weight of 'why are they doing the same thing?'. Crucial to that would be that each cycle encompasses a bunch of different mundane behaviours, with one key stage as a window during which you can unlock the next cycle. In fact, each cycle could repeat a lot of the mundane behaviour, changing only in the key instances at which you can change things. After all, I catch the bus to work most days at the same time and eat my lunch in the same tea room - repetition is realistic. Dialogue could be drawn from a pool of small talk as well as the crucial comments during the intervention window, working like the villagers do in Animal Crossing to avoid too many repeated lines.

So, thoughts? Sounds good? Could it even work? I have zero experience in game creation so it's easy for me to go full Molyneux and bandy around impossible ideas. Hell, has this been done already and I've reinvented something that people have been doing for years?

Incidentally, while obviously I've made this up out of whole cloth, it would fit with Miyamoto's comments on the way the game is shaping up:

one of the things we're working on right now is that, as you play, the world will change and be affected by what you choose to do

EDIT: I think a nod is due to ReyVGM back at the old thread, who posted much the same thoughts before me.

Jackano

I like the feeling of "living here" that may be generated by your idea.
Like, instead of just solving puzzles (SS), or exploring an area with a newly acquired item (OoT), or placing a beacon on the map and going there with Epona, and eventually found the dungeon, the player have to decide to live and stay in an area. Like several Majora's Mask Clocktown.
Meaning you really have to explore the same area, understand the people living here and their habits, to be able to progress in their storyline.

The pitfall is, that is tied with difficulty. If things are too difficult to figure out, people will tend to be bothered and go away from the town, and try somewhere else. Which could be a bad idea if the goal is to do more than scratching the surface.
On the contrary if things are too easy, it will just be like another games. Go to the town talk to people found where to go explore the cave kill the monster problem solved go to the next town repeat.

The transition between what you call NPC cycles are really important. You have to have enough cycles, to get a sense of achievement between them (reward), but also offers the player the choice to leave the place temporary and do something else.

I think it'd need to feel organic, like Skyrim, where you sort of just stumble into a puzzle. Not like it's scripted

FryHole

I think it'd need to feel organic, like Skyrim, where you sort of just stumble into a puzzle. Not like it's scripted

I haven't played Skyrim, so I'm probably woefully misinformed here - but aren't quest givers in Skyrim and suchlike rather static affairs that feel like they've been waiting for you to come and resolve their woes? I know one of the reasons that Majora's Mask gets so much praise is for how alive it all feels - scripted, sure, but those little clockwork characters of Clock Town really feel like they're about their own business and would do so with or without you.

Meaning you really have to explore the same area, understand the people living here and their habits, to be able to progress in their storyline.

The pitfall is, that is tied with difficulty. If things are too difficult to figure out, people will tend to be bothered and go away from the town, and try somewhere else. Which could be a bad idea if the goal is to do more than scratching the surface.
On the contrary if things are too easy, it will just be like another games. Go to the town talk to people found where to go explore the cave kill the monster problem solved go to the next town repeat.

The transition between what you call NPC cycles are really important. You have to have enough cycles, to get a sense of achievement between them (reward), but also offers the player the choice to leave the place temporary and do something else.

I think one thing that would help is, regardless of where they are in the cycle, the first time you talk to someone you get a hint about their woes - nothing too heavy handed, but enough to make you think about when and where you should be nearby to intervene. And yeah, the number of cycles AND the number of NPCs would be crucial - too many and you'd be lost (plus the programming side of things would be a nightmare I'd imagine).

I haven't played Skyrim, so I'm probably woefully misinformed here - but aren't quest givers in Skyrim and suchlike rather static affairs that feel like they've been waiting for you to come and resolve their woes? I know one of the reasons that Majora's Mask gets so much praise is for how alive it all feels - scripted, sure, but those little clockwork characters of Clock Town really feel like they're about their own business and would do so with or without you.

Well for those yes, but theres other quests , for a certain brotherhood, where it somewhat organic, you stumble upon it, you dont have to do it, and it's not "assigned" to you. It's pretty good.

peronmls

IDK. I like linear games and being put on a set path. I like looking forward to going to a place I couldn't before when obtaining a new weapon. So I guess I'm not really excited for the open world part.

FryHole

Well for those yes, but theres other quests , for a certain brotherhood, where it somewhat organic, you stumble upon it, you dont have to do it, and it's not "assigned" to you. It's pretty good.

I see, thanks. There's nothing stopping a Zelda designed like this having the same set-up, I think. Certainly in the game in my head there'd be little to zero requirement to complete the NPCs arcs to finish the game in terms of doing the dungeons and nabbing yourself a Triforce. Completing everything would just bring that extra reward.

IDK. I like linear games and being put on a set path. I like looking forward to going to a place I couldn't before when obtaining a new weapon. So I guess I'm not really excited for the open world part.

I think the Zelda team have spoken before about how they call it open world but it won't fit the term as most people use it. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some element of 'new tool opens up new area' in there, just that the world itself is seamless.

I don't think progression with items will be completely absent in this game. You just have more possibilities to get through the adventure and a bigger world to explore.

I like many ideas in this OP. Good job, FryHole.

TreIII

I don't think progression with items will be completely absent in this game. You just have more possibilities to get through the adventure and a bigger world to explore.

I like many ideas in this OP. Good job, FryHole.

For me, the main thing is that I would love to have that same degree of being able to get lost, then have a nice "ah hah!" moment and figure out what to do next, a la Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 on the NES.

I still think those old gems are the ideal for how to do an "open world" Zelda. You get those fundamentals in place, then a lot of what the OP describes would just fall into place, I'd think.

Fliesen

A Link between worlds does it perfectly, imho.

You can go everywhere from the start, but certain places are yet unreachable due to the lack of a certain item. And not (or at least not all of them) in ways of "here's a big rock that you can't lift yet", but some more subtily, like due to the fact that you can't turn into a painting and cross a chasm that way. Or fit between a wall and a rock.

Total open worldness without proper guidance by means of a strong plot thread that pulls you along wouldn't be a big step forward, yeah. But i'm quite sure they'll find the right balance.

Please have a set dungeon order. having dungeons 4-7 all be the same difficulty as dungeon 4 in ALBW just killed me.
I feel like they could do the any dungeon route, but have a difficulty curve as well within the dungeon. Like Floor 1 is easy and Floor 10 is tough.

FryHole

Please have a set dungeon order. having dungeons 4-7 all be the same difficulty as dungeon 4 in ALBW just killed me.

I think what would be nice is layers of dungeons, where you have a limited choice to begin with and gain access to the next, tougher layer through completion of the first lot, and have this integrated into the open world by having the tougher set located in a part of the world you reach by passing through one of the easier ones. That is, dungeons don't have a single entrance/exit, but lead under the world map to emerge in new place.

That sounds like an awesome idea for any open world game at all, but i would also love to see that in Zelda.

Not holding my breath for this next one but i am sure it will bring some enjoyable twists in its own way.

The horse thing still blows my mind a bit, as well as my friends who I've shown it to. So simple, so small, but it makes so much sense

More than likely they HAVE to do something like this. Matter of fact I think they will maybe a little modified but if so and polished to a tee this will be a 11/10 game.

I like the ideas in the OP and I think the challenge in developing a game like this is balancing difficulty/learning curve with the fun factor.

If too much explicit info is added to your notebook then the whole "game" becomes checking your notes, checking the map and making sure you're at location X at hour Y for event Z to happen... probably not as fun as it sounds in theory. On the other end of the spectrum, not giving the player enough information to progress the NPC's story would end up causing too much frustration and eventually making a player give up totally (which is, ostensibly, not the Nintendo Way).

Like with the farmer in your example, we would have to know from the start that his ultimate dream is to open a shop in town. He'd have to mention it every time you talk to him. So when you see the town banker with a rupee embroidered on his blazer talking to the farmer you know what is happening almost immediately. I'm not opposed to visual cues that tell the player "hey, something important is happening now in front of you" but again if it's too big of a cue it takes away the joy of discovery.

Thinking about the possibilities of a game like this makes me sort of frustrated that it has to adhere to the strictures of the Zelda franchise, wish Nintendo could do some wild new IP with an open world...

In the MM3D Iwata Asks, Aonuma said originally they wanted to have seven days repeat instead of three, but it was too complicated. I think if Zelda U has "jigsaw pieces" each with its own town like you mention here, a single day of routines repeated would be enough. It doesn't take much to feel like you're having a true effect on the game world

Like Xenolade's quest chains then? Of course in that game it was much more basic than you describe, but it's pretty much that idea.

It could work, I like the idea of few NPCs with various quests more than I like the idea of having dozens/hundreds of random NPCs with one quest each.

But I don't know, it would need to have the right amount. Not too much so that players can still keep track of every NPC, but not too little as to make these extremely rare. Also, the questlines can't be too long nor too short.

And lastly, you could fall into the same trap as ALBW did, and every questline has the same difficulty (harder in the beginning, but tedious after you learn how to do it).

Shion

It doesn't need a set dungeon order IMHO, it needs dungeons with:
1. Larger and much more complicated mazes for the player to figure out
2. Tougher monsters to survive against (Link's equipment becomes meaningful again)
3. More and tougher traps to avoid
4. Environmental-based, not item-based, puzzles
5. They could even introduce some proper platforming in the series and design lots of challenging platforming sections for the later dungeons

FryHole

I like the ideas in the OP and I think the challenge in developing a game like this is balancing difficulty/learning curve with the fun factor.

If too much explicit info is added to your notebook then the whole "game" becomes checking your notes, checking the map and making sure you're at location X at hour Y for event Z to happen... probably not as fun as it sounds in theory. On the other end of the spectrum, not giving the player enough information to progress the NPC's story would end up causing too much frustration and eventually making a player give up totally (which is, ostensibly, not the Nintendo Way).

Like with the farmer in your example, we would have to know from the start that his ultimate dream is to open a shop in town. He'd have to mention it every time you talk to him. So when you see the town banker with a rupee embroidered on his blazer talking to the farmer you know what is happening almost immediately. I'm not opposed to visual cues that tell the player "hey, something important is happening now in front of you" but again if it's too big of a cue it takes away the joy of discovery.

Hmmm, I dunno, I think it could handled pretty organically - like, when you first save him he tells you to visit him in town, then when you first see him in town he either mentions the guy coming to see him, or at least says how nice it'd be not to have to do the daily commute. I think players would soon twig that the first stab at progressing an arc would be to monitor the NPC over the course of a day (which brings a problem in that that'd be rather dull, but that's for another day)

Thinking about the possibilities of a game like this makes me sort of frustrated that it has to adhere to the strictures of the Zelda franchise, wish Nintendo could do some wild new IP with an open world...

Seriously, the more I think about it the more I think it has real potential. I had this idea of casually exploring the open world and just observing a key moment - the farmer and the bandits, say - from a cliff top, and making a note to be in that area tomorrow so I could investigate further.

I guess I'm unclear: are these NPC story sequences a part of the game's "A" plot (i.e. you need to fund the farmer's shop to make the weapon to kill the final boss) or are they "B" plots that can be completed at the player's leisure?

I was coming at the issue as if they were the former, and in a way that would make sense for a.) Nintendo and b.) what I think is good game design. You say the issue of a task being "dull" is a problem for another day but I think eliminating dullness is in fact job 1!

Peltz

I think what would be nice is layers of dungeons, where you have a limited choice to begin with and gain access to the next, tougher layer through completion of the first lot, and have this integrated into the open world by having the tougher set located in a part of the world you reach by passing through one of the easier ones. That is, dungeons don't have a single entrance/exit, but lead under the world map to emerge in new place.

This is what I'm thinking too. I want to see the dungeons connect in certain ways and to affect the overworld land mass as well. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing parts of the overworld seamlessly serving as dungeons as well.

E.g. a forest dungeon that actually took place outside in a large, open, heavily wooded forest would be epic. I'm all for breaking the rules of old Zelda games with this next installment. But I'm sure I'd also be happy with a traditional Zelda game too.

I'm excited to see what's in store for us.

FryHole

I guess I'm unclear: are these NPC story sequences a part of the game's "A" plot (i.e. you need to fund the farmer's shop to make the weapon to kill the final boss) or are they "B" plots that can be completed at the player's leisure?

I was coming at the issue as if they were the former, and in a way that would make sense for a.) Nintendo and b.) what I think is good game design. You say the issue of a task being "dull" is a problem for another day but I think eliminating dullness is in fact job 1!

The way I'm thinking of it there would be some, perhaps significant, overlap - the game could be completed in terms of killing the final boss without doing everything, but some of these arcs would need to be at least partially completed to get items required to do so. To refer back to Majora again, I suppose I'm thinking along the lines of how you have to
visit Romani Ranch and speak to Romani to get Epona
, even if you don't do the rest of the activities there. The rest I view as the stuff that gives a world life and texture and rewards those who takes the time to explore in real depth. I'm on the record here on gaf somewhere as being in favour of plenty of missable content (though I understand why developers might not be fans). I view it as an essential component of giving a world some mystery, there always needs to be a sense that you might not have done everything. It's why I love Majora, so much of it is optional.

Well, aren't all the Zelda games open world? It's just that most have item restrictions that prevent you from going everywhere from the start.

I would definitely like to see more NPCs like the ones in Majora's Mask. Exploration could be astounding as well. I'd also be down for making money more important this time around, but considering that the map will be bigger it will probably be less important.

ReyVGM

They kind of did this with Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword.

In Spirit Tracks you had to help one of the snow people move to a warmer climate, and a Goron that wanted to move to a colder climate. There was another character that was old and wanted you to take him for a visit to several towns. There were plenty of characters in all the towns that wanted something from you.

And in Skyward there were lots of things you could do for the characters, like either tell that storage girl you loved her, or comply with her father an ignore her.
Or the love letter from that kid, you could give it to the girl he loves, or give it to the hand in the toilet. Or that guy that wanted to be stronger, his sidequest had three steps to be able to complete it.

The only difference between those games and Majora's Mask is that in MM the characters actually did their schedule regardless if you were there or not. In ST and SS, the characters warped to wherever their next location was whenever you advanced the story.
So it didn't feel like they had a life outside your story, instead, they were just waiting for you whenever you completed certain tasks and the game mandated for them to be at a certain place.

Neff

I think part of why Majora's Mask works as well as it does regarding its many NPC events is the fact that it's relatively compact. Of course, there's no reason why Zelda U won't adopt the in vogue marriage of a massive world and plentiful sidequests, but I don't expect it to be as dense as Majora's Mask is.

It's definitely an exciting prospect one way or the other, though.

I like the feeling of "living here" that may be generated by your idea.
Like, instead of just solving puzzles (SS), or exploring an area with a newly acquired item (OoT), or placing a beacon on the map and going there with Epona, and eventually found the dungeon, the player have to decide to live and stay in an area. Like several Majora's Mask Clocktown.

This sounds like Animal Crossing

FryHole

Like Xenolade's quest chains then? Of course in that game it was much more basic than you describe, but it's pretty much that idea.

It could work, I like the idea of few NPCs with various quests more than I like the idea of having dozens/hundreds of random NPCs with one quest each.

But I don't know, it would need to have the right amount. Not too much so that players can still keep track of every NPC, but not too little as to make these extremely rare. Also, the questlines can't be too long nor too short.

And lastly, you could fall into the same trap as ALBW did, and every questline has the same difficulty (harder in the beginning, but tedious after you learn how to do it).

I definitely like the idea of quality over quantity with regards to quests; a few, in depth multi-part arcs involving an NPC you get to know and care about is much more memorable than villager X asking you to kill some monsters. As a number I just pulled out of the ether, maybe 15 NPCs scattered across the map with 5 cycles each? With extended family/friends networks (more typical, stand-there-and-don't-do-much NPCs) for some colour.

The key to avoiding tedium, I think, is in the story-telling. When you craft a genuinely engaging or emotional tale, the outcome is its own reward and really helps to hide the strings dangling from the game's mechanics. A thought that just occurred is that maybe each character's arc could end in the main town so you slowly populate the place with your friends as you progress.

This sounds like Animal Crossing

Hey, I did mention that in the OP :)

Also, Animal Crossing set in Hyrule would be amazing.

Ala Alba

Wow, FryHole. This is one of the few Zelda U ideas that I really, really like. Now I have an idea of how good it could be, which could be disappointing. ;)

I think part of why Majora's Mask works as well as it does regarding its many NPC events is the fact that it's relatively compact. Of course, there's no reason why Zelda U won't adopt the in vogue marriage of a massive world and plentiful sidequests, but I don't expect it to be as dense as Majora's Mask is.

It's definitely an exciting prospect one way or the other, though.

I wouldn't expect a Zelda game with a massive world to be as dense as Majora's Mask with its relatively tiny world. Even if it had only as many sidequests as Majora's Mask spread out over the whole world, I think that might be enough to feel satisfying, even if it would be very sparse.

Gsnap

And so on - each cycle except the last one has some kind of failure state in which you intervene to move the NPC on to the next cycle, else it keeps repeating. And some NPC cycles could intertwine, you could have the farmer know how to create some fantastic weapon, but he's missing a key resource. On your travels you happen across a miner who ekes a living in a depleted area and wishes he could move in to the gem-rich mines in the mountains, except there's a huge monster living there (and it's a dungeon, ta-da!). Once you've completed that, the miner starts mining in this new spot and (perhaps via a few more interventions by your good self) these resources find their way to town, where the farmer can now knock together this weapon as repayment for your original investment.

This would be really cool. NPCs moving into dungeons after you've completed them. Just giving the dungeons and NPCs an extra use would be fun.

Like how in OoT, the gorons said that the dodongo cave was a place they use to go to, and they needed you to defeat the dodongos so they could go in there again, but they never actually do. This time they should make that happen.

FryHole

This would be really cool. NPCs moving into dungeons after you've completed them. Just giving the dungeons and NPCs an extra use would be fun.

Like how in OoT, the gorons said that the dodongo cave was a place they use to go to, and they needed you to defeat the dodongos so they could go in there again, but they never actually do. This time they should make that happen.

Yes, this would be great. You could combine it with the thought I had above about NPCs converging on the central town, and Peltz's idea of less contrived dungeon structure. You could have the friends you make along the way reclaiming Hyrule from the monsters that have infested it, returning to naturalistic dungeon areas and turning them into something new, turning them into locations for some of the NPCs next cycles.

Big One

Banned
I like the idea OP, but I say make an entire game with a weekly cycle similar to the 3 day cycle, only expanded upon. It'll have a timer in the game that goes through an entire year with the seasons, but the actual sidequests are mapped to certain days and times of the week.

Like the 3 day cycle only without the tedium of having to go back in time, though you could implement a feature like the Song of Double Time that allows you to skip ahead to certain days and times.

I definitely like the idea of quality over quantity with regards to quests; a few, in depth multi-part arcs involving an NPC you get to know and care about is much more memorable than villager X asking you to kill some monsters. As a number I just pulled out of the ether, maybe 15 NPCs scattered across the map with 5 cycles each? With extended family/friends networks (more typical, stand-there-and-don't-do-much NPCs) for some colour.

The key to avoiding tedium, I think, is in the story-telling. When you craft a genuinely engaging or emotional tale, the outcome is its own reward and really helps to hide the strings dangling from the game's mechanics. A thought that just occurred is that maybe each character's arc could end in the main town so you slowly populate the place with your friends as you progress.
15 could work, but there's one thing. These 15 side-stories have to be waaay better than what's in the OP. Making those stories just a typical "farmer wants to open store" would be pretty boring. Tie in some more sense of adventure or maybe tie them somewhat to dungeons, maybe include more NPCs than just that farmer, stuff like that.

Also, I'm basing off the idea that this is all for the side content in the game. The main game would still be Link going somewhere, and then going to a dungeon to eventually save the world. But while you do this, you also have the option of completing these sidequests, without any connection to the main game at all.

FryHole

Why tie this to Zelda at all? At a certain point, you're just coming up with your own game idea.

Well, you know, it passes the time until they release the damn game

15 could work, but there's one thing. These 15 side-stories have to be waaay better than what's in the OP. Making those stories just a typical "farmer wants to open store" would be pretty boring. Tie in some more sense of adventure or maybe tie them somewhat to dungeons, maybe include more NPCs than just that farmer, stuff like that.

Also, I'm basing off the idea that this is all for the side content in the game. The main game would still be Link going somewhere, and then going to a dungeon to eventually save the world. But while you do this, you also have the option of completing these sidequests, without any connection to the main game at all.

Hey, I'll have you know my farmer-store opus is the feel good story of the year! But sure, the stories should run the full gamut - prosaic, funny, weird, emotional etc

Top Bottom