• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a "Thank you for your purchase" email from Sony while at work...

Orca

It's a notification for a purchase of the Counter Strike Global Offensive trial on PS3. Didn't cost me anything, there's only $1.61 sitting on the account in the first place, but it startled me.

I called my wife and checked that nobody was on the PS4 or PS3, changed my password (which was a strong one already) using the website...is there anything else I need to do?

MayMay

Banned
Fuuuck, that might've been the devil - CSGO on PS3 is fucking AWFUL

Get rid of that shit lol

No idea how that happened though.

Fhtagn

Check the time of the transaction; I recently got some notification emails much much later than the transaction time and was pretty startled.

Sinfamy

You get those confirmation emails anytime you "checkout" anything in the store.

How's the community for GO on PS3 anyways?

Mikey Jr.

So you did or did not get the trial. I'm confused.

Anyways, I've had those emails come to me 12 hours after purchase. 90% of the time, they're instant though.

Orca

Doesn't the ps3 have a setting to automatically download demos and stuff?

I've never gotten a purchase email for a full game trial off it before, and it's unplugged right now so it's a moot point anyway.

Is there a way to see what machines your account is active on via the website?

So you did or did not get the trial. I'm confused.

Anyways, I've had those emails come to me 12 hours after purchase. 90% of the time, they're instant though.

To be clear - I didn't buy the trial. The PS3 isn't even hooked up right now. That's what worried me.

Springy

Have you dl'ed it previously? I've had purchase notifications come through several weeks late sometimes; really freaked me out first time it happened.

If you have a CC associated with your PSN ID, of course remove it as a precaution.

Dunkley

Check the dates, Sony sent me a receipt last week about a fund purchase I did back in February for whatever reason.

MayMay

Banned
You get those confirmation emails anytime you "checkout" anything in the store.

How's the community for GO on PS3 anyways?

Dead. The game is awful on consoles, did not recieve a single patch and was pretty dead on arrival. I don't think there's anyone except maybe 10-20 people playing anymore.

Every once in awhile I'll get an email from Sony notifying me about something I purchased (usually for free, like a demo or something) ages ago. The date will be listed in the email though, if it's from today then go change your shit asap.

Mikey Jr.

I've never gotten a purchase email for a full game trial off it before, and it's unplugged right now so it's a moot point anyway.

To be clear - I didn't buy the trial. The PS3 isn't even hooked up right now. That's what worried me.

OK, that's more worrisome. I would change your password asap.

I wouldn't be alarmed, Sony has been sending receipts of free stuff these days.

Just got a few emails for downloading some free DLC lol

I had this happen too but they just "bought" hulu.

The worst was that they deleted my friends list for some reason??

I deactivated and reactivated my consoles, so no problems since.

It honestly could have been from when I sold an old ps3.

Doesn't the ps3 have a setting to automatically download demos and stuff?
If you have PS+ I think this is an option. Idk if a PS3 is required to 'purchase' the game, though. (EDIT - I see that it wasn't the trial that was purchased)

Don't think there's a way to see what machines exactly, but I think you can deactivate all of them via the sonyentertainmentnetwork store.

I have had similar things happen to me in the past with my PS4. I would get notifications hours after I downloaded games even if they were free. It might be that, but still check just to be sure, you never know.

Orca

Change your security questions, OP. Always do that whenever you feel like you've been compromised, along with the password.

Checked under devices and it says I have two PS3 machines on the account. I've only had one, still rocking the original 60 GB. Tried to deactivate the second one and I can't. You can only deactivate a PS3 from the PS3 itself.

Changing the PW would keep them off the account though, right? There's no CC associated with the account anymore.

Jigolo

It's a notification for a purchase of the Counter Strike Global Offensive trial on PS3. Didn't cost me anything, there's only $1.61 sitting on the account in the first place, but it startled me.

I called my wife and checked that nobody was on the PS4 or PS3, changed my password (which was a strong one already) using the website...is there anything else I need to do?

You didn't need to do anything in the first place.

Checked under devices and it says I have two PS3 machines on the account. I've only had one, still rocking the original 60 GB. Tried to deactivate the second one and I can't. You can only deactivate a PS3 from the PS3 itself.

Changing the PW would keep them off the account though, right? There's no CC associated with the account anymore.

There should be a deactivate all button, you can do that once every 6 months.

But yeah, they won't be able to sign into the account anymore. They can still play any games that were downloaded though unless the system is deactivated.

Marceles

It always does that if you check anything out from the web store, even if it's free.

I got a purchase notification on something I bought a week earlier. Was a little shocked but it just ended up being a late email. Actually I'm sure I got the email when I purchased my games, but for whatever reason Sony sent the same email a week later.

Fisty

1. take CC info off acct
2. Change passwords and security questions
3. Go to SEN website and deactivate all systems
4. Reactivate the systems you own

Yeah, looks like someone somehow got into your account. Happened to me a while back on my Xbox One. (Just a weird, "Thank you for your purchase" e-mail for something that cost nothing.) Removed my info, reset all my passwords, ect. Sucks, but that's what you have to do to be safe in that scenario.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not really. At least it supports keyboard and mouse, can't say the same for the 360 version.

I think he means comparatively. The console versions were never patched, not even once. Even disregarding the item drop system, the game is still a markedly different beast on the PC due to all the gameplay changes Valve has implemented over the past ~2.5 years.

Top Bottom