• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Spoiler Thread [Unmarked spoilers]

Labadal

Wanna get spoiled like a prince or princess? This is the thread for you.

I have seen streams posted and I admit that I did watch one for a few minutes. There is undoubtedly going to be discussion about streams as the media and some YouTube "profiles" get the green light to stream the game as of today. Anything spoiler related goes in here.

http://www.twitch.tv/theroguezombie/mobile

And I'm out.

TheMoon

Wait why are there streams already when backers didn't even get their keys yet? At least I haven't. (checks his KS to make sure he backed for a key lol)

Gyoru

Was watching the stream and grabbed his current companions' stat allocations.

Eder
-
Fighter
Might 16
Constitution 16
Dexterity 11
Perception 10
Intelligence 13
Resolve 12

Aloth
-
Wizard
Might 12
Constitution 10
Dexterity 11
Perception 16
Intelligence 16
Resolve 13

Durance
-
Priest
Might 14
Constitution 15
Dexterity 9
Perception 9
Intelligence 13
Resolve 19

Kana
-
Chanter
Might 16
Constitution 12
Dexterity 9
Perception 14
Intelligence 18
Resolve 10

Some of them are...questionable unless they severely rebalanced stats from the backer beta.

Tovarisc

Still not sure how I feel about this practice with KS games but eh.

Well this is basically their home stretch marketing push as they can't afford multi million marketing campaigns.

Stream/uTube embargo is lifted today, Monday.

Review embargo is lifted on release, Thursday.

TheMoon

Well this is basically their home stretch marketing push as they can't afford multi million marketing campaigns.

Stream/uTube embargo is lifted today, Monday.

Review embargo is lifted on release, Thursday.

Sure, sure. I just mean the bit where keys aren't given to KS backers at the same time as they are given to reviewers. Happened with WL2 and Shadowrun as well, iirc. I guess I can understand why but I'm just not sure that I like it.

JC Sera

Sad they nerfed resolve by switching duration back to INT
going by these stats
High resolve on Aloth so he doesn't get interrupted casting?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Sad they nerfed resolve by switching duration back to INT
going by these stats
High resolve on Aloth so he doesn't get interrupted casting?
It was never switched in the first place. The wiki was mis-formatted and then someone here saw that incorrect info and posted. Intellect always gave +AoE and +Duration.

JC Sera

It was never switched in the first place. The wiki was mis-formatted and then someone here saw that incorrect info and posted. Intellect always gave +AoE and +Duration.
thanks for clearing up wiki errors again Menace
DsrA6Kc.gif

Damn, the combat moves fast. 8 minutes into the second video has the combat paused to give out individual orders and as soon as it's unpaused everyone has moved past the AOEs. Feel like the enemy information should be a bit smaller as well, but it's not too big a deal. So exciting that it's here, going to try to not watch much else.

So can we chat about the ending w/o spoiler tags? Broadly speaking i thought the revelations during the last act fell kinda flat to be honest. Interested in how other people felt.

Will go into more detail if i have the green light.

So can we chat about the ending w/o spoiler tags? Broadly speaking i thought the revelations during the last act fell kinda flat to be honest. Interested in how other people felt.

Will go into more detail if i have the green light.

The title says unmarked spoilers. I don't see why we can't use this thread for this, but maybe someone should ask a mod.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The title says unmarked spoilers. I don't see why we can't use this thread for this, but maybe someone should ask a mod.

The title of the thread is pretty clear, so I'm goin for it! Remember me fondly if I get banned.

So the giant Engwithian machine at the end that has all the souls, is that also what was used to "create" the gods in the first place? Did the Engwithians just like, take thousands of souls and mush them together to make the gods? Is the reason the majority of the Engwithian civilization gone because they actually BECAME the gods, more or less?

The title of the thread is pretty clear, so I'm goin for it! Remember me fondly if I get banned.

So the giant Engwithian machine at the end that has all the souls, is that also what was used to "create" the gods in the first place? Did the Engwithians just like, take thousands of souls and mush them together to make the gods? Is the reason the majority of the Engwithian civilization gone because they actually BECAME the gods, more or less?

That's what I took away from it. Basically the Engwitihian's sacrificed themselves to make a specific pantheon real. According to Thaos, prior to that there was pure chaos with all the various false gods and civilizations fighting like mad. By creating the gods, making them real and having direct impact in the world would bring order.

It was the job of the Leaden Key to keep their creation and history a secret. Iovara found out and led a rebellion to reveal the truth, which led to your betrayal and her eventual capture and death.

Woedica didn't like the current balance of things, so she recruited Thaos to kick off Waidwain's legacy to start stealing souls. Reading between the lines it sounds like Eothas was pissed off at Woedica and led the Saint's War to stop it, until along came the Godhammer.

I agree that the revelation fell flat, largely because it felt like something that belonged in a 3rd Pillars game. I had no attachment to the gods, I barely knew anything about 3/4 of them. The revelation that they were created by an ancient civilization elicited to reaction from me. It didn't help that the Iovara flashback sequences felt really forced, and at no point did I really ever believe that it had much to do with my PC. The game did a really poor job of establishing momentum and character motivation. The PC was supposed to be going insane, and yet that was never expressed except in short dialogues about how he had troubled sleep. I never found Thaos particularly interesting either. He's just yet another generic crazed religious man trying to revive an evil god to enforce order on the world. The whole heavy handed religious allegory didn't work very well either.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Woedica didn't like the current balance of things, so she recruited Thaos to kick off Waidwain's legacy to start stealing souls. Reading between the lines it sounds like Eothas was pissed off at Woedica and led the Saint's War to stop it, until along came the Godhammer.

I'm not sure If i totally buy that correlation. Waidwen's legacy was mostly a side effect of Thaos just needing all the souls to power-up Woedica, whom had been the "dethroned queen" for thousands of years and in that respect has never liked the balance of things. It's fairly clear that the major impetus for much of Thaos' actions in the game are to disrupt the growth of animancy, as animancy has the potential to discover the truth of the "gods" and undue everything he's worked for.

I admit that I'm not entirely sure why Thaos is particularly loyal to Woedica over any other god, since he knows the truth of all of them, or what he acutally hopes to accomplish by making her the big bad queen bitch ruler of the pantheon.

It seemed to me that Thaos had little particular loyalty to Woedica, she was just a convenient means for him to pursue his own aims.

So my rambling thoughts on the ending, Act 3 and 4 spoilers like crazy.

I found both the revelations regarding the pantheon of the world of Pillars and the fate of Iovara kind of anti-climatic. If they were a greater focus in the first half of the game maybe there would have been a bigger impact for me, but all in all it kind of fell flat.
So Iovara reveals that the gods were artificial and created by the Engwithans (she uncovered this earth shattering secret cause she listened to a conversation in a doorway?) and proceeded to lead a rebellion to discredit Thaos. Her rebellion eventually led to your main characters betrayal and her torture and execution.

Interesting, but it felt so out of left field. At that point in the game I had little interaction with Iovara and your betrayal had little weight to it because for all intents and purposes she was a minor character’s whose spirit shows up in Act 3 if I remember correctly. If she was a constant presence throughout the game maybe it would have worked better, but I had no connection to her character and her revelations felt so disconnected to Waidwain’s Legacy and the game’s immediate problems.

Similarly, the revelation regarding the gods had little impact to me. Outside of the Godhammer, Eothas’s demise and Woedica actively messing with the natural order of things, I had little interaction or feelings one way or the other regarding the rest of the pantheon of Pillars. Sure they are in the background here and there and some of your companions have their relationships with their preferred diety (Durance and his relationship with Magran and the subsequent revelations in particular were super interesting) but all and all I felt no special connection with them. They played next to no part in the immediate central narrative outside of needing divine favor in Act 3, so the revelations regarding their creation again fell flat.

The whole, "gods are man made bullshit, open your eyes" felt a little like heavy handed religious allegory to me. Similarly I never really felt that the Watcher was ever in jeopardy or going crazy, outside of not sleeping much.

Anyway, I would love to hear about everyone’s final decision and proceeding ending state. Mine were as follows:

General World State

1. Went with Berath to return the souls to the Wheel. Seemed the most rational thing to do, which ended the Legacy and brought normal births back
2. Defiance Bay went to shit for a bit because I sided with the Dozens
3. Gilded Vale was wild but improving
4. Didn’t destroy the Hertitage Hill machine, so the Leaden Key reactivated it and the undead scourge returned
5. Dryford Village was greatly improved iirc

Companions (note I did all of their sidequests)

1. Eder was a boss and went on to become the mayor of Dryford
2. Grieving Mother became a midwife in Dryford and seemed to be dealing with her troubled past (I didn't erase her memory and told her to use it as a lesson)
3. Kana became a popular story telling eccentric
4. Sagani – returned to her village successfully and eventually became a super respected elder leading to peace and prosperity
5. Hirivas – kicked all of the druids butts in his old village til they acknowledged he was a hunter, then he left lol
6. Pallagenia – told her to follow her heart so she was exiled and followed the Kind Wayfarers
7. Durance - wandered around kicking ass and taking names trying to figure out how to get revenge on Magdan (I convinced him that she apparently tried to have him offed)
8. Aloth – Decided to take the mantle of the Leaden Key (this one came out of left field)

Anoregon

Haha wtf, my companion endings were all different than that, except for Grieving Mother.
I didn't use kana or pallegina much, or Sagani at all, so it makes sense that they have unfulfilled quests that will impact their final outcome. Also I used Hiravias a good bit, and I don't know if I was bugged or what but I never got any actual like, quest dialogue or objectives for him, so I never really knew what his deal was with his 2-god conflict.

Overall I thought the "gods aren't real" twist was pretty cool, but Iovara was introduced too late and woefully underdeveloped. She literally just becomes an exposition device.

Haha wtf, my companion endings were all different than that, except for Grieving Mother.
I didn't use kana or pallegina much, or Sagani at all, so it makes sense that they have unfulfilled quests that will impact their final outcome. Also I used Hiravias a good bit, and I don't know if I was bugged or what but I never got any actual like, quest dialogue or objectives for him, so I never really knew what his deal was with his 2-god conflict.

Overall I thought the "gods aren't real" twist was pretty cool, but Iovara was introduced too late and woefully underdeveloped. She literally just becomes an exposition device.

Do you mind sharing your companion endings? I am curious about them and I can't find a dedicated thread on the official boards.

Alavard

2. Grieving Mother became a midwife in Dryford and seemed to be dealing with her troubled past (I didn't erase her memory and told her to use it as a lesson)
4. Sagani – returned to her village successfully and eventually became a super respected elder leading to peace and prosperity
5. Hirivas – kicked all of the druids butts in his old village til they acknowledged he was a hunter, then he left lol
6. Pallagenia – told her to follow her heart so she was exiled and followed the Kind Wayfarers
7. Durance - wandered around kicking ass and taking names trying to figure out how to get revenge on Magdan (I convinced him that she apparently tried to have him offed)
8. Aloth – Decided to take the mantle of the Leaden Key (this one came out of left field)

Some of my companion epilogues were very different without doing their quests.

Durance tried to hear the voice of his goddess again, and when he couldn't, took it as a sign he wasn't supposed to be alive, and threw himself on a pyre lit by using his staff as kindling.

Sagani took another few decades to find the soul, so by the time she went back to her village, it didn't feel like home. Some of her family were successful, but some had died.

Aloth did the same thing for me, without me ever doing any of his sidequest.

I did Kana's sidequest, and his epilogue for me involved him bringing word back to his people about the things he'd found and inspiring them further.

Anoregon

I don't remember the details sadly, but I can re-play the ending when I get home tonight.

Off the top of my head:

Eder: stuck with Eothas worship, helped other eothasians escape persecution
GM: Same I think, delivered the first un-hollow child in the dyrford, was no longer "guiding" their outcomes
kana: lost his cheery disposition and became like a librarian/scholar type
sagani: never found the dude she was looking for, eventually got home and found everything different and some of her family dead, but settled into a comfortable life with her remaining daughter and grandchildren
Hiravias: honestly don't remember at all
Pallegina: fired from vailian duty, becomes a wandering mercenary but never really finds a home/peace due to being a bird
Durance: may be the same as yours, but it seemed a bit more dour. Sort of just quite wandering and hating magran
Aloth: Sets about totally dismantling the Leaden Key

hemtae

Act 3 and 4 were my favorite part of the game although I do agree that there should be something like the spirit eater mechanic of Mask of the Betrayer to make the whole Watcher thing feel like it had higher stakes.

I posted my ending slides in the OT, I chose all the gods' favors but only did what Wael suggested. Dyrwood is about to go through some hard times.

That Aloth ending is strange. For me he dedicated himself to destroying the remnants of the Leaden Key.

Hmm, maybe I am misremembering. The epilogue was basically him picking up the robe of the Grand Inquisitor and finally finding his calling or something like that.

I wonder if it comes down to whether or not you let him steal the notes of the animancer who studies him. I gave him permission to steal the notes to save him the embarrassment. I wonder if that triggers his willingness to "hide the truth for the greater good" which is the Leaden Keys imo?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
General World State

1. Went with Berath to return the souls to the Wheel. Seemed the most rational thing to do, which ended the Legacy and brought normal births back
2. Defiance Bay went to shit for a bit because I sided with the Dozens
3. Gilded Vale was wild but improving
4. Didn’t destroy the Hertitage Hill machine, so the Leaden Key reactivated it and the undead scourge returned
5. Dryford Village was greatly improved iirc

Mine was similar to this except:

World state:
- I destroyed the machine in Heritage Hill. As a result, people slowly moved back in and restored the district.

Companions:
- Grieving Mother returned to the birthing bell, unaware of her past and spent the rest of her life there alone, waiting for pregnant mothers to come to her for aid.
- Kana returned to Ruratai with stories of how crazy the outside world is and became a man of prominence leading Ruratai towards becoming even more isolationist.
- Sagani became disinfranchised with life and spent her time going on longer and more dangerous hunts until one day, she vanished into a blizzard never to be seen again.
- Pallagina having completed her mission rose to a position of prominence amongst her order and her government.
- Aloth dedicated himself to destroying all remaining remnants of the Leaden Key.

Sou Da

Hmm, maybe I am misremembering. The epilogue was basically him picking up the robe of the Grand Inquisitor and finally finding his calling or something like that.

I wonder if it comes down to whether or not you let him steal the notes of the animancer who studies him. I gave him permission to steal the notes to save him the embarrassment. I wonder if that triggers his willingness to "hide the truth for the greater good" which is the Leaden Keys imo?

Probably. I told him not to and he burns the robes and goes off to destroy the Leaden.

Does a pretty poor job of it considering he can't stop Heritage Hill 2: Fampyr harder.

For the record I didn't even remember that I could destroy it.

Anoregon

Don't think so, as I let Aloth take it as well.

I destroyed the Heritage Hill machine, because zombies are bad people come on

Act 3 and 4 were my favorite part of the game although I do agree that there should be something like the spirit eater mechanic of Mask of the Betrayer to make the whole Watcher thing feel like it had higher stakes.

I posted my ending slides in the OT, I chose all the gods' favors but only did what Wael suggested. Dyrwood is about to go through some hard times.

holy shit, note to self don't betray the gods, artificial or not lol

Anoregon

I didn't get any specific god-related retribution in my ending, despite doing the quests for all the ones I could. Maybe because I didn't actually promise to do what any of them wanted, I always clicked "maybe, let me see what the other gods want."

Hylea, Galwain (with magran and abydon), Rymgarand, and Berath were the gods I was able to interact with.

Probably. I told him not to and he burns the robes and goes off to destroy the Leaden.

Does a pretty poor job of it considering he can't stop Heritage Hill 2: Fampyr harder.

For the record I didn't even remember that I could destroy it.

Don't think so, as I let Aloth take it as well.

I destroyed the Heritage Hill machine, because zombies are bad people come on

Hmmm, it was pretty late when I finally beat it, maybe I misread it. I could of sworn the implication was that he was taking over the throne of the Leaden Key. My main character was a wizard so I never used him after I got a full party outside of the Sanitarium. I wonder if I missed a conversation or two.

Sou Da

I didn't get any specific god-related retribution in my ending, despite doing the quests for all the ones I could. Maybe because I didn't actually promise to do what any of them wanted, I always clicked "maybe, let me see what the other gods want."

Hylea, Galwain (with magran and abydon), Rymgarand, and Berath were the gods I was able to interact with.

I find it odd Eder didn't say anything about Eothas not being there, did he just accept it at that point?

Almighty

It's always nice to see many possible ending in an RPG.

Here is mine http://imgur.com/a/zdThh

I felt bad that i didn't help out Sagani and that I left the undead Raedric alone to pretty much kill everyone. I also didn't betray Berath on purpose I just honestly forgot/misunderstood what his ass wanted.

Yea those are the only ones you can interact with. I did all of the quests but as long as you only commit to one you are fine.

Once I was in last dungeon the spirit of Wael was there and made a proposal too. Apparently Skaen and Woedica can as well, but I didn't see either in my game.

Anoregon

It's always nice to see any possible ending in an RPG.

Here is mine http://imgur.com/a/zdThh

I felt bad that i didn't help out Sagani and that I left the undead Raedric alone to pretty much kill everyone. I also didn't betray Berath on purpose I just honestly forgot/misunderstood what his ass wanted.

Very similar to my ending, the only difference was Durance and that I killed zombie Raedric in act 3.

Top Bottom