• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gintama° Series 3 |OT| It's Not Digimon Tri, But It'll Have To Do!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
zDaBbXa.jpg

I could be watching Digimon right now...instead I'm watching Gintama. What has my life come to...

Every Wednesday on Crunchyroll!

Trailer

4fx5BKL.png

What's Gintama?

The dude who made the last Gintama OT said:
Set in an Edo which has been conquered by aliens named Amanto, the plot follows life from the point of view of samurai Gintoki Sakata, who works as a freelancer alongside his friends Shinpachi Shimura and Kagura in order to pay the monthly rent.

Gintama is a long-running manga by Hideaki Sorachi that nobody should read, as well as a long-running anime that nobody should watch, and thankfully it has been canceled multiple times. Unfortunately, it has been brought back yet again after a two-year hiatus, with brand new episodes. Hopefully it's canceled soon, this time for good. Oh, this series is called Gintama°, with the "°" added on to the end, but honestly it's just more of the same crap. Who are they trying to fool?

To summarize Gintama, you know the plot of Rurouni Kenshin? Yeah, it's like that, except with silver-haired samurai, aliens, shonen jump, video-games, idol singers, stalkers, giant penguins, worthless old men, and, well, it pretty much has everything the writers think to throw into it. While there are longer story-based arcs, at most they occupy about 1/4th of each season, with the rest of the episodes being silly filler plots that have no bearing on anything. It's like X-Files, except the writers have even less of a clue what the end-game plot is.

Who Made The Gintama Anime?

Sunrise, the company behind Yoshiyuki Tomino's classic sci-fi war epic, Gundam AGE.

BUT, this season is being done by BN Pictures.

Who Is In It?

A collection of well known Japanese voice actors such as Tomokazu Sugita (Kivat in Kamen Rider Kiva), Daisuke Sakaguchi (Takeshi's Usokkie in Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl), Rie Kugimiya (Thomas in Santa Company), Mikako Takahashi (Andou Romeda in Rockman.EXE Stream), Kazuya Nakai (Ollie Paisley in iCarly), Kenichi Suzumura (Bartholome in Beyblade), and Akira Ishida (Weird Electrical Appliance in The Brave Little Toaster).

Seriously though, I've never heard of any of these people. Where's Nolan North?

Why Should I Watch Gintama?

So, why should you watch Gintama then? Well, some people say that the show has a great sense of humor that's unlike anything else in anime, and loves to take the piss out of each and every anime trope you can think of. There are people who hate anime (I know, I know, it's hard to believe that) yet like Gintama because it's humor is apparently delightfully crude and irreverent. It's been called the "Japanese Family Guy" due to its use of running gags, pop-culture references, and scatological humor, except unlike Family Guy, it was never actually good in the first place. It's actually the American Dad of Japan.

People also say that Gintama, despite being a humor-based series, nevertheless is capable of bringing viewers to tears whenever it actually decides to get serious, with surprisingly strong writing and characters who really shine when they need to, and can instantly switch back to humor on the dime without destroying the narrative flow. But you know, there are people who cry when watching Naruto. Go check out a few episodes for yourself to see what the fuss is about.

Plus, you know, Digimon Tri isn't airing this season like Bandai promised. What else do you have to watch?

Where Can I Watch Gintama?

Oh...so it's come to this. You're not heeding my advice to avoid Gintama°, and actually want to check it out?

Well, unfortunately for you, it's very easy to watch Gintama. Crunchyroll has the entire first two series up to watch, and will be adding new episodes on the day they air (Wednesday) for premium users, and a week later for regular users. The show is subtitled, of course. So, now that I've said this, that means you have like 265 episodes to watch so you can understand the plot of the first episode of the new series. Well, what are you waiting for? Get watching!

I'm completely unable to form opinions on my own when it comes to what anime I want to watch, and need silly GIFS to convince me.

jj4SzcG.gif

gp4PlSo.gif

iTfHkGs.gif

I'll put this out there for those who will ask how long this one will run for. Gintama episodes generally adapt two chapters per episode, they do sometimes use a single chapter for adaption and make original filler to take up the rest of the space. At the moment there is 125 chapters of unused content, so assuming if they don't stop it early at least 60ish episodes will come from this.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'll put this out there for those who will ask how long this one will run for. Gintama episodes generally adapt two chapters per episode, they do sometimes use a single chapter for adaption and make original filler to take up the rest of the space. At the moment there is 125 chapters of unused content, so assuming if they don't stop it early at least 60ish episodes will come from this.

I can't wait for the
Gender Swap Arc I hear is in the manga

ninanuam

Banned
So happy. Its the only anime my girlfriend and I can both tolerate. We binge watched the whole series last year over a two month period and restarted from episode 1 last week in anticipation.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Do we know how long this run will be? My heart can't handle another season of 'classic' reruns.

vareon

Getting people into Gintama sure is hard. Without the right expectations, the earlier episodes feel like they're trying too hard at humor.

Episode 25 tho.

TimmiT

I've been watching Gintama lately, at episode 75 now. I'm surprised by how long it's been going on seemingly without getting worse. Happy to see that it's getting another season.

I've been watching Gintama lately, at episode 75 now. I'm surprised by how long it's been going on seemingly without getting worse. Happy to see that it's getting another season.

Make sure to watch the second movie when you're done. First movie is just the benizakura arc reanimated, but second is original material and is fucking amazing

What fucking OVA?! What the hell I thought there was only that movie?
HALP!

The description said it came bundled with the 58th manga volume of the same title.

The actual OVA well... lets just say a certain ripoff from another anime is back and with very strong 4th wall breaking :p

I was going to get up at 6:30 est this morning to watch the new episode, but I opted for the Madao route and took that time to sleep in for an extra hour. Now I've gotta wait till this afternoon to see it.

: /

On another note, in regards to the OP, if I were to compare Gintama to an American cartoon it'd probably be more South Park than anything

Tuck

Never could get past the first few minutes of the first episode. Really do want to give the series a fair show though.

Top Bottom