• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 PC Custom Radio Station Details (Self Radio)

Details from the various GTA 5 PC thread today....

Confirmed to be in the game. Station is called Self Radio.

PC Gamer is doing a Q/A in their Disqus forums

EDIT:
selfradio.jpg

Custom Soundtracks
It may not be the Spotify integration we were hoping for, but Rockstar is letting players make their own radio station using music files on their computer. After putting copies of song selections into a specific folder, you can listen to them on the Self Radio station. An auto scan will identify new songs as you add them upon starting the game.

Players have a few different options for listening to these custom soundtracks. You can play them sequentially, shuffle the collection, or have Rockstar integrate them into a radio experience complete with commercial breaks, station IDs, bumpers, and banter between DJs Cliff Lee and Andee, who you may remember from Lips 106 in Liberty City Stories. In the pause menu you can choose whether you want to have the songs play in the order you have them in the folder or to let the game analyze the collection and build a playlist order.

If you don’t want to build your own station, you can enjoy some new tunes on the in-game stations courtesy of Rockstar. For the PC version, the developer added The Lab FM, hosted by Alchemst and Oh No, to the rotation. Artists featured on this eclectic new station include Earl Sweatshirt of OFWGKTA fame, Little Dragon, Tunde Adebimpe from TV on the Radio, Phantogram, Freddie Gibbs, Gangrene, Future Islands’ Samuel Herring, and more.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Wow, that's really neat! I'll take advantage of this for sure.

Makes me hopeful that they might implement VR down the line, maybe.... Possibly.......................... Please?

Finally, the progressive rock/metal station GTA deserves.

Riverside is going to get blasted from all cars in Los Santos.

Who was hoping for Spotify integration instead of MP3 (and hopefully FLAC?) support? Crazy people? Give me MP3 support any day, especially when you can mix in radio banter like this. (I think San Andreas had the same feature?)

I can try to make a station based on some of my favorite songs used in recent NFS games...or an early 2000's rock station...or...

too many ideas

Derp

Players have a few different options for listening to these custom soundtracks. You can play them sequentially, shuffle the collection, or have Rockstar integrate them into a radio experience complete with commercial breaks, station IDs, bumpers, and banter between DJs Cliff Lee and Andee, who you may remember from Lips 106 in Liberty City Stories.
Holy shit. This is just the greatest thing ever. The third option. Yes. Yes please. Fuck yes.

gelf

Good news. Like with GTA4 I'll probably fill it with the best cheesy movie and tv car chase music. Can't beat driving around like Frank Drebin to the Police Squad theme.

_machine

I can use FLAC files too right?
Don't know, but I imagine that the support is not a given, since that would require quite a lot of more memory to stream and it is an additional codec to implement that is not as popular as mp3. Hoping for it still, but I'm not holding my breath since GTA IV didn't support them either.

Derp

Good news. Like with GTA4 I'll probably fill it with the best cheesy movie and tv car chase music. Can't beat driving around like Frank Drebin to the Police Squad theme.
They should make it a requirement for everyone to have "Bad Boys" somewhere in their tracklist.

Dries

I am going to build the best Southern California (country) Rock playlist ever. Think of it:

The Eagles, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Gram Parsons, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, CSN&Y, Ryan Adams.....

Tagyhag

Players have a few different options for listening to these custom soundtracks. You can play them sequentially, shuffle the collection, or have Rockstar integrate them into a radio experience complete with commercial breaks, station IDs, bumpers, and banter between DJs Cliff Lee and Andee, who you may remember from Lips 106 in Liberty City Stories.

Wow they really are going above and beyond. They could have just stuck with a custom soundtrack and that's it. Heck, people were worried we wouldn't get a custom channel at all!

An-Det

Being able to turn your music into a legit radio station is pretty crazy and an awesome addition. I loved using my own music in gta 4 on pc, so I'll use this all the time.

Santana (w/ Everlast) - "Put Your Lights On"
Queens of The Stone Age - "No One Knows"
Nero - "Satisfy" (Forza Horizon 2)
Pendulum - "Watercolour" (NFS Hot Pursuit)
Dead Sara - "Weatherman" (NFS Most Wanted)

no set genre for me...lol

Yarbskoo

I hope I can still use a shortcut to my music folder, otherwise I probably just won't bother if I have to copy all of my music files over.

SlickVic

Delay was well worth it if it meant giving them time to put this feature in (along with hopefully performance optimizations for the game itself). Awesome.

Top Bottom