• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd's Artstyle GDC Talk

Beats

http://gdcvault.com/play/1022031/GuiltyGearXrd-s-Art-Style-The

I think this was just put up a few hours ago on the GDC Vault. The speaker is Junya Christopher Motomura who works at Arc System Works as a 3D Artist/Tech Artist. There's lots of technical information in here on the process of creating the character models, getting the cel-shading right, animation as well as some live demonstrations inside the software they used. There's lots of good stuff in the talk, but some things that stood out to me personally:

- They wanted to make it as 2D as possible. This required a very handcrafted approach from their artists when it came to creating the character models as well as animating them. He mentions "intention" a lot throughout the talk.
- Character models are around 40k triangles. No normal maps were used.
- The artists manually modified the vertex normals on the character models so that they looked good from any light angle. This allowed them to not have any unintentional shading problems.
- The techniques they used are not new at all and there was "nothing innovative technology wise". He says the style could have been done years ago, but it was the artists' intentions that pushed them to do it along with "the right staff in the right place".
- In the Q&A Motomura said there were around 4 3d modelers. The character models took 2 months of work and animation took another 2 months. The model, textures and rigging is done by the same person. The Q&A also touches on a few topics that weren't highlighted in the main talk.
- Maintaining 60fps on PS4 was done easily as the shader is not very resource intensive. Shader and polygons had to be toned down for the PS3 version though.

There's a lot more in the video, so you should definitely check it out if you're interested.

RocBase

Watched this last week, super insightful stuff! Wish it could've been longer, seemed like it there was still a heck of a lot more he could talk about.

atomico

Looking forward to the vid.

Even though I didn't play the game much (No Jam, Johnny or Baiken kinda killed it for me) I absolutely adore the way Xrd looks. Still dreaming of a KOF revival that looks like this :(

fader

Guilty Gear has the best music and best graphics of fighting games ever!

....is this the year 2000 again?

AAK

I just wish they truly embraced the 3D model aspect of it and didn't reverse the stance of each character depending on if they're in 2P or 1P side.

I hated it in Street Fighter and (especially) SFxT... and it's disappointing seeing it here as well.

They have 3D models now and there's no excuse for them not to use it. If they feel it looks better to mimic 2D sprites mirroring the sprites compared to leaving the characters naturally maintain their stance I honestly don't understand it. If Mortal Kombat X did this it would look so much worse.

Still the best looking game of 2014 bar none.

When I first played Xrd with some friends they would often pause to say "how the hell did they do this?" followed by "this looks so good" and I gotta say I agree with them. Amazing looking/sounding/playing fighter.

Will definitely check this out when I get home.

It's weird that SF 3 was all about being able to properly reverse sprites (with Gil being essentially a giant "look what we can do") that has completely fallen by the wayside in 2D and 3D fighting games.

Chev

I think this was just put up a few hours ago on the GDC Vault.
It's actually been there for ten days, but it's awesome. The key takeaway, as has been mentioned in the past, is that there's actually nothing special tech-wise, the result is all thanks to great artistic work.

I just wish they truly embraced the 3D model aspect of it and didn't reverse the stance of each character depending on if they're in 2P or 1P side.

I hated it in Street Fighter and (especially) SFxT... and it's disappointing seeing it here as well.

They have 3D models now and there's no excuse for them not to use it. If they feel it looks better to mimic 2D sprites mirroring the sprites compared to leaving the characters naturally maintain their stance I honestly don't understand it. If Mortal Kombat X did this it would look so much worse.
Actually the SF games do it differently, they actually flip only the stance (ie Sagat's eyepatch stays on the same eye), while Xrd actually deliberately flips the whole model like a sprite (Say, Slayer's cape flips sides, only the text is kept in a readable direction) just for the same of looking more like a sprite's behavior.

Anyway, stance flipping is done for readability and aesthetic reasons, a lot of characters are less interesting viewed from the back and their moves less identifiable. It's not done for tech reasons, ince the maths involved to flip a stance are more complex than just turning the fighter 180°.

Something they didn't mention in the presentation but in tech articles is that it goes further than that, the characters also don't use standard 3D perspective, they tweak and attenuate it, but SF4 does the same thing too.

mao2

Arc System Works sure have some highly talented staff members. I hope they'll continue to implement this style in their future games.

Flarin

GAF: I'm on a desperate hunt for certain image from this game and I can't for the life of me find it. The image is basically the following one:

GGtrick_zpsnfycmj6a.jpg

But they zoomed the camera out to show the design tricks, like that she's not actually sitting on the bench, etc. Anyone know which one I'm talking about or where to find it? Wasn't in this video.

Top Bottom