• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: data packs available to improve loading times (disc version)

L~A

So, looks like we finally know what's that mysterious feature teased on Twitter (and is meant to provide a seamless experience)... They're data packs you can download on the Nintendo eShop, that can improve loading times if you're using the disc version. And yeah, they're totally free.

There's several packs:

- Basic Pack (2GB): for basic data
- Enemy Data Pack (2.7GB): for enemy data. Makes loading on the field even faster.
- Player Data Pack (3.6GB): for player data (armor, etc.). Makes loading time faster when changing equipment in shops.
- Doll Data Pack (1.7GB): for Doll data. Makes deployment of Dolls much faster.

The first pack is required if you're planning to download the other packs. You can combine them if you want/have enough space on your HDD. If you buy the digital version, you don't need any of these packs (obviously).

Source

So, looks like we finally know what's that mysterious feature teased on Twitter... They're data packs you can download on the Nintendo eShop, that can improve loading times if you're using the disc version.

There's several packs:

- Basic Pack (2GB): for basic data
- Enemy Data Pack (2.7GB): for enemy data. Makes loading on the field even faster.
- Player Data Pack (3.6GB): for player data (armor, etc.). Makes loading time faster when changing equipment in shops.
- Doll Data Pack (1.7GB): for Doll data. Makes deployment of Dolls much faster.

The first pack is required if you're planning to download the other packs. You can combine them if you want/have enough space on your HDD.

Source

considering how little space there is on a wii u, that's a huge chunk of it

Hasney

There's one thing I'm interested in hearing about as I get most of my games on the eShop at launch now since they're cheaper. Will this make the disc version faster than the download version since they could work in tandem?

Not sure if it's been explained or not. Might wait for impressions before deciding which version to get though.

Peltz

How much space is being saved by going physical? How big is the straight up digital version of the game in comparison to all of the packs?

FYI, the packs come out to exactly 10GB.

L~A

So if we have these packs installed, will the disc version play as well as the digital version?

You're still playing from the disc, but since some of the data will be on the HDD, loading times will be faster. You can't play the game without the disc.

Shauni

Well, that's odd. I'm assuming these are free as well? I don't think I've seen something like this done before.

Thats......an interesting way to handle this.

Why they didn't just let you install something off the disc is anyone's guess.

Edit: I'm not complaining though, better to have the option than not. This will force me to delete the Metroid Prime Trilogy.....or get a HDD.

OmegaDL50

Couldn't, You know just have an option to install this stuff straight from the disc rather than having to download ourselves. This seems backwards.

I'm mean surely the game is still in development so there is time to implement an option with a menu to "Install Data" packs.

Like other games with OPTIONAL install options also have. Geez.

You know, I don't think a lack of data on the disc being the issue here either. Nintendo's disc format for the Wii U is basically bluray without the licensing for BD video playback.

So I'd think there IS some of that 50GB available to utilize, no?

L~A

Well, that's odd. I'm assuming these are free as well? I don't think I've seen something like this done before.

They're free, obviously (added to the OP anyway, just in case).

It's basically a partial disc install, except you don't even need to disc.

Fandangox

Well uh, I guess I will download them. Not optimal. But I don't want to get digital and I don't have the money to double dip on this game.

TunaLover

How much space is being saved by going physical? How big is the straight up digital version of the game in comparison to all of the packs?

FYI, the packs come out to exactly 10GB.
Holy smokes, time to clean the fridge, Xenoblade X deserves it <3

Couldn't, You know just have an option to install this stuff straight from the disc rather than having to download ourselves. This seems backwards.

I'm mean surely the game is still in development so there is time to implement an option with a menu to "Install Data" packs.

You know, I don't think a lack of data on the disc being the issue here either. Nintendo's disc format for the Wii U is basically bluray without the licensing for BD video playback.

they're using 25GB disc, that's probably the reason. besides, at least you can download it now & don't have to wait until you get your game just to install it

Nanashrew

Banned

Actually it's 25GB discs, and they're using up nearly the entire disc for the game alone. They stuffed it with everything they could.

Peltz

You're still playing from the disc, but since some of the data will be on the HDD, loading times will be faster. You can't play the game without the disc.

I apologize, I don't think my question was clear. I meant to ask:

Do we know if the disc version + these packets is equal in performance to the pure digital version of the game?

Shauni

The game comes out at the end of the month in Japan, so it's probably near completion, if not gold

L~A

I apologize, I don't think my question was clear. I meant to ask:

Do we know if the disc version + these packets is equal in performance to the pure digital version of the game?

Ah, no, we don't know that. Most likely performance is roughly the same (maybe a tad slower), since it's pretty much guaranteed those data packs contain the data that takes the most time to load.

Tenki

I have a 500Gb HDD plugged into my Wii U, so this is great. Hopefully NoE brings a nice Collector's Edition.

RPGCrazied

No. It's not a Wii U feature and the disc seems to be pretty much full already.

Yeah, I know, but I thought they were going to do something like that with Nintendo's help. Guess not, guess I will be downloading those. Download those and play at same time so I'm not waiting forever.

Peltz

Ah, no, we don't know that. Most likely performance is roughly the same (maybe a tad slower), since it's pretty much guaranteed those data packs contain the data that takes the most time to load.

Thank you. I will be buying physical and I'm sure it'll be fine, but it will be interesting to see the comparison.

I will also install all of these packs because the game deserves it. It looks like a fucking masterpiece.

I guess you could just get the disc version and deal with terrible load times I'd you don't have the hdd space, get the disc version and install the data packs you want in order to speed up certain aspects of the game, or get the digital version and play the game in its most optimal form.

Pretty cool for Nintendo to give players these options.

OmegaDL50

The game comes out at the end of the month in Japan, so it's probably near completion, if not gold

Awesome. I wonder how the localization is coming along.

I would hope Nintendo has the forethought to release the English versions of these data packs, prior to the release of the game so people can grab them and be ready on day one.

Eolz

Uh, that's neat. I prefer that than installing a whole game with no real improvements.
Got a lot of place on my external HDD too.

Hasney

Yeah, I know, but I thought they were going to do something like that with Nintendo's help. Guess not, guess I will be downloading those. Download those and play at same time so I'm not waiting forever.

What they do need to do (and I know they won't) is send out a code with pre-orders to pre-load these packs. Downloading these over Wii Us WiFi will be horrendous.

Hedgey

Still debating whether or not to buy a Japanese Wii U to play this game a bit early.
Currently living in Japan so it wouldn't be just for this game I guess

What they do need to do (and I know they won't) is send out a code with pre-orders to pre-load these packs. Downloading these over Wii Us WiFi will be horrendous.

You'll be able to uncover the first 3% of the map til everything has downloaded in the background :p

Seriously though, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Your first game session will have rougher loading times, but the next one will be smooth sailing.

Ii any case, if you own a Wii U, it's kinda mandatory to have an external HDD attached to it.

Hooked up an HDD day 1 and never looked back. I wouldn't even consider digital download without it, to be honest. People should stick to discs if they're not getting an HDD.

Conezays

Still debating whether or not to buy a Japanese Wii U to play this game a bit early.
Currently living in Japan so it wouldn't be just for this game I guess

Go for it and post your impressions here!

On topic: I've held off buying an external HDD so far with a mix of physical and digital, but this game may finally make me have to. Bah.

Circinus

Interesting way to handle this, if somewhat weird.

It would be more convenient if they would provide an option to install the game from the disc on the Wii U's flash memory, but it seems like they haven't implemented such a system in the Wii U.

I remember to patch Skyward Sword you had to download a specific Wii channel from the WiiWare digital store, so yeah Nintendo doing things its own way isn't too surprising.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

In Japan they are now available for download for eshop (so almost three weeks before launch), I'm sure they will make them available for pre-load in the West too.

I'm getting the bundle later this month, but I think I'll download the game anyway. I don't want to unwrap the pack-in game with the special cover ;//

Or maybe I could buy a second copy of the retail version and get all those packs.

Mupod

As someone who installed every single 360 game, I'd prefer a generic 'full install from the disc' option but this is a fine workaround. I'll just move a game or two over to my USB drive.

You know what really needed this option? Zombi U

Top Bottom