• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KKKlorox Bleach apologizes for virulently racist and pro-ethnic cleansing tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/09/technology/clorox-emoji-tweet/

clorox-1.jpg

"You need to clean up your PR person. Put some bleach on your distasteful marketing ideas," tweeted @DriNicole. "Black emojis were added today. Saying this implies you'd rather the emojis be only white, by adding bleach."

clorox-2.jpg

Watch as the masses go out spending millions on Clorox Bleach blissfully unaware of its hateful rhetoric.

FStop7

Banned
I wonder if people are F5ing all day long in desperate anticipation of being on the cusp of the latest great outrage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
People make dumb connections

Yet another reason why I'm increasingly convinced that Twitter is awesome for like, three specific things, and awful at the other half dozen that people use it for

...Are they...what? I don't understand their 'wheres the bleach' emoji. To me it reminds me of 'Where's the beef'. I'm so confused..

wowzors

I read it as bleach wants a Clorox Bleach Emoji added. People need to calm the fuck down there wasn't some racist undertone to this, if your grasping at that straw then bleach in its essence is racist.

I thought it was because there was no bleach emoji with all the new added ones, but I'm probably just stupid and should figure out a way to be offended.

Am I just not getting something, because I'm not sure how this should be constituted as something negative? If anything its not funny, but I don't see how its insensitive.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Like....do people think that all of those people who replied "@Clorox Really? That was tasteless" are also now sitting at their desks seething with anger at how offended they are?

krae_man

Looks like they were going for a play on "where's the beef?". I'm assuming all the people upset didn't get the reference?

stufte

Fucking *sigh*. Clorox wonders where the bleach emoji is, people read racism into it. What is it with people desperately trying to parse every tweet for even the weakest possibility of offense?

It was clearly not meant to be offensive/racist, but yeah.
I can see why people took offense to the tweet seeing as the biggest deal with the new emojis is that they added different races/people of color

Dominator

But they didn't put the new skin color emoji's on there at all... Did people even look at the picture?

The joke was terrible of course, but it seems to be people just overreacting as per usual on Twitter.

Like....do people think that all of those people who replied "@Clorox Really? That was tasteless" are also now sitting at their desks seething with anger at how offended they are?

On the internet, "I don't like this/that was stupid" is always interpreted as "ZMOG I AM THROWING UP LAVA I'M SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
There are many things to get offended by these days. This isn't one of them. Does getting offended by everything make you feel better or something?

Sometimes people just really want to be offended about something. I didn't get anything racist out of that. It seemed like pretty standard light-hearted poor humor you find from commercial PR. The bleach bottle was made up of household items, not ethnic people, and it was asking where the bleach bottle was in the new set of emoji.

How on Earth did so many people find a way of convincing themselves that was deliberately about ethnically cleansing people to be white like bleach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom