• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China Review Thread

God is a Geek - 8/10

This is a download that can be consumed relatively quickly (around five or six hours), but there are opportunities for replay value in the plus and plus hard modes that are unlocked upon completion, and allow you to replay levels to get higher scores and unlock more abilities – as well as to grab those collectables that have been missed. Plus hard also restricts you to having one bar of health, with tougher enemies that makes for a game that is even more reliant upon stealth than before.

This is a game that feels quite removed from the standard Assassin’s Creed gameplay, yet still feels like it should fit within the series. It may lack the presentation and high production values of a typical Ubisoft blockbuster, but this is enough of a departure to offer something a little different, even for those who tired of the series long ago.

Lazygamer - 8/10

Coming in at just $10, this is a solid experience for that price. With replay opportunities and the challenge of getting through every area without being seen, there is plenty of content for completionists or casual players alike. I did struggle to link it with Uplay, a strange occurrence on console, but I’m not sure if this is just because the review copy was live before the servers could accept it, or if players should be wary of some Uplay issues with the title.

Game Informer - 7.25/10

This isn’t helped by the underwhelming story about assassinating one villainous Templar after another. The end doesn’t spice things up, and it also leaves a thread open to remind you that there are two more of these games left. I just hope they’ve got enough differentiating features to keep players invested.

The Sixth Axis - 7/10

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China is a decent change of pace for the franchise. The goals are more focused and deliver some great stealth gameplay across the approximately five hours it takes to complete. With all the open world distractions stripped away I felt like I was playing a proper assassin-based title, with the only focus being to take out the target. The issues with the combat, as well as a story that feels shallow, combined with lackluster delivery, detract from the overall experience.

Destructoid - 7/10

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China has the makings of a good 2D Prince of Persia re-awakening, but it lacks a lot of character both aesthetically and mechanically. Still, there's very little actually wrong with it if you're looking for another platformer to add to your pile. Hopefully future iterations of the Chronicles subseries can build upon the foundation that China has provided.

IGN - 6.4

There are many ways in which this Assassin’s Creed could have gone terribly wrong, but didn’t. Its problems lie, instead, in its inability to truly let the player off the leash, and its uncharacteristically soulless presentation. Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China is by no means a poorly made game, it’s just an un-exciting one

Gamespot - 6/10

Chronicles' passive pacing is a shame, because the pieces, combat notwithstanding, are mostly strong. Furthermore, the exquisite environments craft a setting that makes me eager to see the two upcoming sequels--Chronicles: India, and Chronicles: Russia--in action. If they follow in Chronicles: China's footsteps, they will be beautiful to behold. I hope, however, that unlike the first entry, they take the leap of faith required to make them play as boldly as they look.

Push Square - 6/10

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China is an absolutely solid spin-off in almost every way. Traversal is fluid and fun, combat is enjoyably simple, and the level design is often lovingly crafted, but it never comes close to stepping out of its comfort zone and trying something remotely memorable. Even outside of Ubisoft's main series, the confining walls of Assassin's Creed remain recognisable and reliable, but they're in increasingly desperate need of a new lick of paint.

Metro - 6/10

As undemanding as it is this first Chronicles game is perfectly enjoyable for now, but the subsequent two titles are going to have to add a lot of new tricks beyond just a new setting. On balance this is probably still the most fun we’ve had with an Assassin’s Creed game for some time. Although your mileage will vary on how big a compliment you consider that.

"I did struggle to link it with Uplay, a strange occurrence on console, but I’m not sure if this is just because the review copy was live before the servers could accept it, or if players should be wary of some Uplay issues with the title."

Should be noted that I've been playing it since last Tuesday and I haven't had a single problem with Uplay at all. Even redeemed all of the extras that are available (via Uplay) without a problem. I'm guessing this is specific to this reviewer.

system11

If someone who gets it for PS4 could mention whether it's 30 or 60fps, it would be appreciated. As usual reviews are incomplete.

Top Bottom