• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall - one of THE best multiplayer gaming experiences I've EVER had

**** An appreciation thread ***

titanfall_231239061537.jpg

TitanfallArt-2.jpg

titanfall-cover-art-small-100245832-orig.jpg

3.jpg.jpg

ocfZgfH.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

I've actually been meaning to make this appreciation thread for awhile now. I guess this time I finally got the right dose of caffeine as well as being couch bound after rolling my ankle...

I'm now 32 years old and have been playing since I was 4. I've had quite of variety of gaming experiences over that time on many different platforms and....

Titanfall is one of the best MP gaming experiences I've ever had

...and I still play it to this day :)

Its bests everything from Tribes to BF1942. From the ORIGINAL CS Beta mod for Half-life to Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. Yes, even motherfucking Killzone2.
I'd say the only thing you could hold against it is it's lack of content and it's variable performance on XboxOne.

Other than that, I can't say I've ever experienced an MP game before where EVERY time I have a goodtime. I'm never frustrated and I always have FUN

It's currently on-sale for only $7.99!

If you ever been on the fence, now's the perfect time to jump on board. The DLC is free and the maps are part of the regular rotation now. The player base is STILL very active and you can always find a game at any time of the day. And, if you don't want to do the PvP thing, they eventually added a horde mode called "Frontier defense."

I'll leave Vince Zampala's afterward that's in the artbook (man I'd give anything for a editorial or book that detailed what went down at Activision).
It believe it captures the lightning in a bottle magic of what the game meant and what it achieved:

Vince Z said:
The last five years have been a wild ride. I have seen people I admired do things that made me sad and confused. I have also seen people stand up for what they believe is right, no matter the cost. The journey here was costly, financially, but more importantly, emotionally. There were dark times where it seemed like it might be better to walk away. What kept things going? I don't know if I can fully answer that, except to say that there are people I work with that deserved it to continue.
Titanfall was born from this chaos. When was it born? I can't rightly say. There were sparks flown out early, but they didn't ignite immediately. How was it born? Out of a desire to do something different and a need to manage the scope of what was possible. We were starting over (Respawn). We had limited time and resources. We had to focus down to the core: This is a game and we know how to make games. There was never a clear path of how this one would come to be, but the result is rooted in the art and artists that built the foundation of out worlds and cemented our universe together.
Given the turbulence of our start, we all really needed the game to find an audience. When we finally unveiled the game, it took off beyond anything we could have hoped. Most of all, we want to deliver on the promise of Respawn. The team here is giving this game their soul. All of the beauty and the ugly of the past years poured into hope...

Welfare

I loved it when I played it. Just so good.

Traded it in for the MCC because I thought that would last me to Halo 5. :mad:

Might re-buy it. It's really fun.

m23

Such a great and fun game. It had its shortcomings, but when it came down to gameplay it rocked. The movement system was done almost to perfection imo, changed up the formula enough to differentiate itself from COD.

Can't wait for the sequel, put in tonnes of hours in the game.

I thought it was very fun, but honestly it only took a couple days to see all it had to offer and I never returned to it. Hopefully they fix that in the sequel.

Literally just bought it about 2 hours ago at Best Buy since it's on a massive sale.

All said and done it was $6 brand new lol. Especially now that all the DLC's free I thought it was definitely worth it. Hope there's still a decent population on Xbox One.

Zombine

Banned
I still think that if Respawn plays their cards right, they will get COD numbers if they include a campaign and flesh out the unlocks for Titanfall 2.

Yes, I agree it's one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had. Respawn created a wonderful game!

Team that consists of like only 65 people or so too!

Also, everyone should:

Make "Bumper/Jumper" your default control scheme

perfection when combined with the XboxOne's bumpers/controller ergonomics...

OneUh8

It's a fun game no doubt, just didn't have legs for me. I should say I prefer more high skill competitive games such as quake or cs.

It was pretty fun for the week i spent with it. I agree with most people that the crippling lack of content/variety got me bored of the game too. I didn't really click with the overall aesthetic of the game. I felt it look rather bland/boring to be honest. Both the mechs and the foot soldiers.

m23

Literally just bought it about 2 hours ago at Best Buy since it's on a massive sale.

All said and done it was $6 brand new lol. Especially now that all the DLC's free I thought it was definitely worth it. Hope there's still a decent population on Xbox One.

I don't have much trouble finding people to play with.

J-Rzez

Fantastic gameplay, incredibly shallow weapon selection, abilities, titans, and community options killed off the game's following fast.

If they make a sequel, they need to really address these critical issues. Hopefully they do.

I thought it was very fun, but honestly it only took a couple days to see all it had to offer and I never returned to it. Hopefully they fix that in the sequel.

See I don't get this

The gameplay is soooo damn fundamentally perfect that I keep coming back just to play it again.

It's like saying Mega Man 2 only had so much to offer....

Bessy67

The gameplay is some of my all-time favorite for a shooter. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough content to keep me going long term. It's too bad the new maps weren't free from the beginning and that the co-op wasn't added sooner.

My favorite online multiplayer shooter ever. Just wished there was a solo campaign for those times when I still want to play the game but get tired of multiplayer.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It was incredibly fun, for a short while, though. It really is a shame with the lack of content. Even with the whole bunch of new maps, something feels off. I don't know what, I can't put my finger on it.

Bessy67

It was incredibly fun, for a short while, though. It really is a shame with the lack of content. Even with the whole bunch of new maps, something feels off. I don't know what, I can't put my finger on it.
To me the lacking weapon variety was the biggest flaw. The main assault rifle, the CAR SMG and the shotty were the only weapons that anyone actually used.

Justinh

I loved it when I played it, but I never really get the itch to go out of my way to play it. Maybe there's something wrong with me, I dunno. I really should try to play it some this weekend (I keep saying this over, and over).

Edit: God-dammit, I just remembered how great it was just moving around in that game.

I was so surprised at how good it was when I got it for cheap during the winter. Amazing game. Cannot wait to see what they do with the sequel.

Chris1

Best shooter I have played in a long time, would buy it again at full price in a heartbeat. Love it.

Haven't played since just before Christmas, got a bunch of new games since then and haven't really had the time to play other games and with The Witcher 3 out next month, that's gonna be sucking up my time even more. I wish they would add 5-10 new generations or something, that would get me back in an instant.

Killer

Banned
See I don't get this

The gameplay is soooo damn fundamentally perfect that I keep coming back just to play it again.

It's like saying Mega Man 2 only had so much to offer....

I think people don't care about good gameplay unless there's too many bars to fill and a million useless weapon.

One of the best multiplayer shooters in years. I love everything about it. I can not wait for Titanfall 2.
Pretty much, and I completely agree with the OP in that I never had a boring match. Its too much fun to use parkour, sneakyness and speed only to then shift gears into your jump-jet enabled, armored death machine.

It needs to be fleshed out more, and the online campaign/story mode is just a random bag of multiplayer matches with voice-overs, but the core movement and combat action and the rhythm of the battles is just fucking glorious and its near impossible not to have fun with it - even if you're getting your ass kicked and have to make a desperate escape to the shuttle.

Warablo

It's a fun game, but the multiplayer didn't hold me. I always tell myself that I will come back and play but never do.

Justinh

even if you're getting your ass kicked and have to make a desperate escape to the shuttle.

Holy shit! To be the only man on the escape ship practically giving the finger to the other team, or to kill that last guy as he's just about to board the ship.

Damn, such a great game.

Also...

EVERY SHOOTER needs to implement the analog calibration that Titanfall has. Perfect amount of deadzone, look acceleration, range, etc.

It was so damn good that Microsoft let Respawn develop a patch for the XboxOne controller to take full advantage of it!

I just spent the last couple days playing this on PC thanks to EA's free play time and I must say I had an absolute blast with it and will probably buy it sometime in the next couple weeks.

I will say though that it does lack content, customization etc etc. and the smart pistol can almost ruin it, so I hope that's improved for the next game but either way I'm looking forward to playing more and seeing what more they come up with with TF2.

One of my favorite things about this game though, as great as everything else is, is the visuals. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and boy did they nail it, the backdrops of some of the maps are so massive and stunning, they're really just breathtaking.

Kill3r7

Best MP FPS game in quite some time. I really enjoyed my time with it prior to Destiny coming out. Come to think of it last year was a great year for FPS games on consoles. Between Titanfall, Wolfenstein and Destiny we had a great year. Even COD AW joined in the festivities.

Yes, TF on PC was my game of 2014. I ended up double dipping and picking it up cheaply on X1 when I was disappointed by the laggy matches of the otherwise good CoD AW. TF, even with lower populations, has a fantastic online setup.

I just spent the last couple days playing this on PC thanks to EA's free play time and I must say I had an absolute blast with it and will probably buy it sometime in the next couple weeks.

I will say though that it does lack content, customization etc etc. and the smart pistol can almost ruin it, so I hope that's improved for the next game but either way I'm looking forward to playing more and seeing what more they come up with with TF2.

One of my favorite things about this game though, as great as everything else is, is the visuals. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and boy did they nail it, the backdrops of some of the maps are so massive and stunning, they're really just breathtaking.

Buy the artbook

The art is fucking amazing and one of my favorite things about it. It's that good.

oakenhild

I played it a lot for two weeks after launch, but got burned out due to lack of content (in my opinion, just not enough there to keep me going).

Have only gone back once, and couldn't get into it again due to skills not being up to par with the players that were still playing it.

Titanfall IS a lot of fun, I feel like I'd play it more if it wasn't tied to Origin.

Agreed, Originally bought it on PC with the season pass and loved it , but as the community dwindled only the die hard really good players were left and it became less fun...When I got my Xbox One, it came with a copy as well, but i wasn't gonna shell out for the season pass again...

Since they made the season pass free on Xbox I might jump back in...seems like it gave the game a jumpstart.

I look at this game like Assassins Creed 1...so much promise, can't wait for the sequel!

Chris1

So if I'm reading correctly, this is all the DLC right?

http://www.titanfall.com/dlc

They added 9 maps? No new weapons or anything like that?

Yea it's just the 9 maps. They added a ton of free DLC too though, the game you're playing now is nothing like it was at launch. Black market, insignias, daily challenges, black market coins, player counter, horde mode are all new and I'm probably missing something.

Yea it's just the 9 maps. They added a ton of free DLC too though, the game you're playing now is nothing like it was at launch. Black market, insignias, daily challenges, black market coins, player counter, horde mode are all new and I'm probably missing something.

Yes and thank you (^____^)

Top Bottom