• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help GAF! Persona 4 or Persona 4 Golden?

I have never played a Persona game and with 5 coming up I think I'm going to jump in. I have already decided on Persona 3 FES, but can't decide which version of 4 to play. I have read stuff about some VAs being a lot better on the PS2 version. Please help me decide!

Edit: After 20+ posts of saying Golden is the way to go, that's what I'm going to be playing. Now my question is should I play P3FES before P4G...

Kas

Golden. It's one of the best JRPGs I've played in a good while. Plus, there's tons of additions the base game doesn't have.

Thomper

The PS2 has slightly better voice acting than Golden, but it's not like Golden is terrible. And Golden has so much other great stuff that it's easily the better choice.

Flandy

Golden

You should skip P3 imo. I played it before 4 and the dungeons in 3 burned me out and almost made me not play 4

Andrefpvs

VAs aren't better in the PS2 version, some people were just attached to one of the replaced voices. You won't have that issue since you didn't play the original P4, so there's no reason not to choose the superior Golden version if you have a Vita/PS TV.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Golden. As for your concern about voice acting, as far as I'm aware they just changed Chie (right?) and in my opinion for the better. She sounds way too old in the PS2 version

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Here's the thing. VA preference comes down to personal opinion, whereas in virtually every other aspect, Golden is outright factually superior to vanilla 4. Go for Golden.

Zareka

Golden. It's a bit easier, but it's better in almost every other way. Plus, more content.
Just ignore Marie.

As for VA, they're good on both. I prefer original Teddie but it's really hard to tell the difference with his Golden performance.

mp1990

Banned
Persona 3 FES.
j/k
Golden has much more content iirc, normally people say that Vanilla P4 has better VA but it certainly don't compensates the amount of extra content Golden offers.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Golden does have a different voice actor for Chie, which is debatably 'worse' for people who enjoyed her previous VA in the original PS2 release, but otherwise, it's better in pretty much every way, save for one or two new scenes that arguably are only really there for fan-service. But if you didn't play the original P4, you won't really notice, the new VA is fine.

Mechanics-wise, the ability to choose which skills to inherit, the addition of skill cards, new personae, new social links (even though one new one has been considered a bit polarizing), the night shop and the fishing tie-in, etc... it's really fun.

There's a decent-sized chunk of new content, also.

Gowens

Neo Member
Golden all day. While some prefer the original VAs, the new ones are still top notch quality. Without playing vanilla 4, you will not notice.

Golden is, without a doubt, the definitive version.

Heartfyre

People might assume that because of the preferential differences between Persona 3: FES and Persona 3 Portable, that there may be a similar conflict of differences with Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden.

This is emphatically not the case. Play Golden and don't compromise.

mp1990

Banned
Golden

You should skip P3 imo. I played it before 4 and the dungeons in 3 burned me out and almost made me not play 4

S7Pzw95.gif

Why you say these things Flandy, i thought we were friends :(

OP, play P3 before 4, you'll hate P3 if you play it after, because it lacks the party control mechanic of P4G, and you'll probably get frustrated a lot because the party sometimes do some stupid moves.

bigkrev

The only things Golden does worse than 4 is introduce a new character that you might hate, but can ignore for pretty much the entire game if you want, and an creepy fan service scene towards the end of the game that you can skip.

This isn't a FES vs P3P debate, where the argument is better graphics/presentation with frustrating gameplay vs fixed gameplay with worse presentation/graphics. The only reason you should not play P4G is if price is a very important factor for you (P4 is 10 bucks on PSN, while Golden is 30 dollars when not on sale on PSN, or around 20 for a physical copy)

Nose Master

No reason not to play Golden. Some VAs are different, but they're not bad. Chie is the Chie from the fighting game. Big whoop. Tons more content in Golden.

Flandy

S7Pzw95.gif

Why you say these things Flandy, i thought we were friends :(

OP, play P3 before 4, you'll hate P3 if you play it after, because the lack of party control on it make it infuriating some times.

Because Tartarus is a horribly boring piece of garbage that I dreaded having to go through every month. They were more boring than the P4 dungeons, there were more of them, and they had no story payoff like P4 did.

Skip P3. Fuck Tartarus

Giever

Golden, just don't write it off because of Marie. She was an unfortunate addition to Golden, while everything else is pretty good (minus a few new scenes).

Hikami

I'd say both honestly, that's what I did.
PS2 first then the Vita one later on for the extra stuff.

But if you're only going to play it once/buy only one then yeah, Golden.

Moltenix

Go for gold!

I've actually just recently finished both P3FES and P4G in that order. Would definitely recommend you do so as well.

Skii

Golden, just don't write it off because of Marie. She was an unfortunate addition to Golden, while everything else is pretty good (minus a few new scenes).

Marie is probably one of the best additions to Golden both gameplay wise and story wise...

LiK

GOLDEN! Seriously, the gameplay improvements, new areas, new characters, new MUSIC and new SCENES are a must.

anyone telling you to play vanilla is robbing you of a superior experience.

Golden. It's an honest no-brainer.

This. 3 is so inferior compared to 4. You'll never want to scale up a tower in a video game ever again.

Top Bottom