• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adr1ft confirmed for Morpheus, Vive and other upcoming unnanounced VR platforms

http://vrfocus.com/archives/15089/adrift-confirmed-project-morpheus-vive-uannounced-vr-platforms/

Last year’s The Game Awards saw developer Three One Zero reintroduce its upcoming atmospheric videogame, Adrift, for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. At the time the developer reassured that the title would be coming to the Oculus Rift virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display (HMD) on PC, but didn’t mention any possible support for the Project Morpheus HMD on PlayStation 4.

Speaking with Red Bull*, Three One Zero’s Adam Orth confirmed that Adrift would be available for Oculus Rift, Project Morpheus, and HTC Vive along with ‘unannounced VR platforms’. “Adrift will be a premium VR experience on Oculus Rift, Morpheus and Valve’s Vive – as well as some upcoming unannounced VR platforms,” Orth told the site. “Our goal is to be the must-buy VR experience on each of those platforms at launch.” The developer also noted that the title is ‘the ultimate immersive VR experience’ with ‘limitless’ potential.

What other HMDs could Orth be referring to? Microsoft is rumoured to be working on its own VR HMD for the Xbox One** while Valve’s SteamVR system is designed for more than just the HTC Vive. Could Orth be referencing one of these unconfirmed devices?

*had to use proxy to access this site

** the last time I read any of those rumors was last year, was there any follow-up?

"We call Adrift an FPX – First-Person eXperience – which to us means: three to four hour, high-quality, immersive, story-driven, non-violent experiences. The FPX is the only game experience our studio Three One Zero is going to make and from what we are seeing with Gone Home, The Stanley Parable, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Firewatch, The Witness and Everyone's Gone To The Rapture, people are ready for, and interested in something different, and we're excited to give it to them."

While Adrift will be perfectly playable on a standard television set, Orth reveals that the title was coded with Virtual Reality in mind from the very start. "We've been lucky in that the challenges have really only been technical, which are always solvable somehow. Our game is uniquely suited for VR due to the fantasy, setting and movement style. It's the ultimate immersive VR experience and the potential is limitless."

Had heard them talking about them wanting this to happen and it was the first time I felt a real twinge of excitement for VR. This could be something really special.

Haunted

There's another upcoming VR competitor?

Who'd be insane enough to jump into an arena against Valve/HTC, Sony and Facebook?

There's another upcoming VR competitor?

Who'd be insane enough to jump into an arena against Valve/HTC, Sony and Facebook?

virtual-boy.jpg

Miracle Chosuke

Neo Member
Huh, I thought Morpheus support was already confirmed? Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game a lot. I feel like the concept fits good with VR. The low gravity setting makes movement slow, and the locomotion should feel more natural if its based on low gravity and jet pak-like navigation.

Blobbers

I can't believe this. It's 2015 (the year just before 2016) and we're still using numbers for letters in game titles?

Looks cool, though.

Top Bottom