• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give us ideas for our Bloodstained weapons - Also favorite weapons thread

nynt9

So, Shouta and I have backed Bloodstained at the tier that lets us design our own weapons. I have his approval to make this thread to ask for ideas for weapons. Also sound off about your favorite creative weapons in games, and that might help.

We assume that we may have some control over the abilities of the weapon, but that might not be the case. And both Shouta and I are not interested in making an overly referential joke/meme weapon. And we can't guarantee that we'll pick an idea here, but I'd love to see some discussion!

Personally, I love weapons that also act as movement tools, for example the dash sword in Shovel Knight. I'm thinking of doing something like the doll in Dawn of Sorrow but with it dealing damage on the teleport - something like a teleport sword. I don't know what Shouta is exactly thinking, but he can feel free to abuse his powers and edit this post to add his opinions.

Keep in mind that the weapon would need to fit the setting of Bloodstained, so something overly militaristic or scifi won't fly. Generally try to go for melee/magical weapons.

Also, just talk about your favorite/most creative weapons in games!

This is the design of the main character, by the way

17514400511_89c375ae16_b.jpg

Would be cool if was something different but GAF related. Since dual abbillities could be a thing: how about a stained glass GAF symbol that can be thrown like a boomerang or split in two for twin daggers?

If you like movement weapons, what about a sword that lets you charge up an attack, with the longer you charge it, the further you teleport, and the distance you travel leaves a line that hurts enemies who happen to be in it when you arrive at your destination?

Think "The Baz" from Divekick. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOhGyOuhKQ) Scroll through the video for gameplay.

Risk and reward, and could be used for some crazy mobility if the player has the balls to wait long enough. Would obviously need to be balanced so the wait isn't too long, or isn't too short pandering to abuse.

Angry Guy

I think it'd be cool and work well within a Metroidvania style gameplay system to have some Vergil-style Summoned Swords-it could be a playstyle that revolves around setting traps with the swords, building up the amount of swords you have onscreen/in orbit around you and the more swords you have the stronger the attack is when you use them as a projectile? Maybe throw in some risk/reward like all of your swords vanish if you take a hit?

Since you mentioned movement and the doll, how about a sword that allows teleporting to your doppleganger/clones. I was sort of thinking how when you do QCF+attack with Alucard, he warps forward to attack then goes back. So in this case for Miriam, she can do qcf+forward to send a doppleganger forward to do an attack (it would be cool if you can have more than one out), but if you a command she can warp to that location of the earliest clone and do another attack at the area. It has to have some fast recovery to be a cool mobility skill though.

Tizoc

CHAINSAW FLAME THROWER NUNCHUCK!
TWO CHAINS WITH CHAINSAWS ATTACHED AT EACH END THAT ALSO BLOW FIRE!

It sounded good in my head, but come on how can you NOT want such a weapon in 2017!

FDBK

The rose she's holding.

1) Petals solidify and transform into stained glass shards after tossing the rose into the air (or throwing it to the ground ie: holy water), then it explodes like a grenade and spreads the shards like shrapnel all over the place.

or

2) Weakest weapon in the game in terms of strength, but although it can be equipped as such, is actually a key item within the game plot.

Nunchucks that are on fire so you really can't "wield" them, you more halfheartedly hold them for 2 seconds before your character starts screaming with pain and then flings them at whatever is in front of them. They then have to walk over and pick them back up. The fire never goes out.

Clefargle

A weapon that is a number of small throwing daggers that fit into jeweled scabbards that are integrated into a corsette/leggings getup. The daggers can be thrown or used for Melee. When thrown, the daggers can be summoned back to their respective sheath via a blue flash of light. They reappear in their designated holster on the outfit upon being summoned back where they can be thrown again. Their trajectory cannot be influenced by summoning, but they can be thrown rapidly due to their replenishing nature. Just a thought

nynt9

Since you mentioned movement and the doll, how about a sword that allows teleporting to your doppleganger/clones. I was sort of thinking how when you do QCF+attack with Alucard, he warps forward to attack then goes back. So in this case for Miriam, she can do qcf+forward to send a doppleganger forward to do an attack (it would be cool if you can have more than one out), but if you a command she can warp to that location of the earliest clone and do another attack at the area. It has to have some fast recovery to be a cool mobility skill though.

Hmm, maybe something like a Stand that you can swap places with?

A8165590-5.gif

vilmer_

They've added another 10 slots for this tier at $2100 if anyone else would like to get in on the weapon train.

Now at 9 left.

Tizoc

Nunchucks that are on fire so you really can't "wield" them, you more halfheartedly hold them for 2 seconds before your character starts screaming with pain and then flings them at whatever is in front of them. They then have to walk over and pick them back up. The fire never goes out.

This game isn't real life.
It's a video game, fuck logic.

Shouta

I definitely want something that can change how you interact in combat in some manner. It will really depend on what we're allowed to do and how the game systems are shaping up. I do have a few ideas but nothing solid just yet.

They've added another 10 slots for this tier at $2100 if anyone else would like to get in on the weapon train.

Now at 9 left.

Wow, they did. Interesting. =O

tearsofash

how about a sword that is also a gun

seriously though: Maybe have a weapon that's invisible. It looks like you're swinging something, but yeah. You're not.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Matroyska Ball-And-Chain.

Basically a spiked ball-and-chain that opens up and has smaller spiked balls within it. You can sacrifice power by "opening up" the ball for a smaller, quicker ball, and use it to change direction in mid-air.

VariantX

Perhaps a weapon that projects a stained-glass "afterimage" a few feet in front of you that attacks on autopilot for a few seconds. When it's time is up, it shatters and the shards themselves do a small amount of damage.

nynt9

There have been a bunch of indie games in the past couple of years with some interesting weapon mechanics, but I'm really tired right now and they all escape me other than the ones in Shovel Knight. Anyone got any ideas?

This game isn't real life.
It's a video game, fuck logic.

Okay, then how about a pair of nunchucks that are completely covered with blood and you have a hard time holding onto them, often just slipping out of your goreslick hands and onto the ground, where they get covered in mud. They make a wet "SHPUCK" sound every time that happens. They are unwashable and make your character sad.

Hmm, maybe something like a Stand that you can swap places with?

A8165590-5.gif

Yea, I guess something like that but you can control where you place the stand instead of it following you like Jotaro and possibly can have more than one out, but one can work. I was also thinking about how the warp would happen for multiple clones but if maybe she can "aim" to the one she want so warp, like if a clone was on her right and one was above her, up+R or right+R would warp her to the respective one. I think how Iga wants the commands for the game would possibly effect the moveset. He can be doing something like the two-hand system where you can combine effects from weapons like in SOTN, like shield rod and shields.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
An AK-47 with functional iron sights and bullet drop. It only has one magazine though, and if you run out you have to reload, only its ammo type doesn't exist, so that's that.

inthrall

You ever seen a Lantern Shield before?

laternshield.jpg

Basically a shielded arm with a lantern built in, to blind the opponent when fighting at night. I always thought they were kinda cool, and not really well known.

EDIT: In terms of gameplay, could blind enemies as part of an action, and you can add any sort of cool attacks using the hidden blades inside the gauntlet itself.

ZiZ

not very effective, but a novel idea, is a book that opens a random page and attacks with the weapon on that page.

so basically it's just random weapon attacks. like if you press the attack button 3 times you might randomly get a fire whip attack, a wooden sword attack then an Ice Hammer attack.

the weapons that are used are all the weapons in the game so attack power might vary from weakest weapon to strongest weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hope to see a trident in some way or other. Perhaps it could also let you swim underwater as an innate ability, though that might be aping Wonder Boy in Monster World a bit too much?

But yeah tridents are super cool. <3

CHAINSAW FLAME THROWER NUNCHUCK!
TWO CHAINS WITH CHAINSAWS ATTACHED AT EACH END THAT ALSO BLOW FIRE!
Is it normal that I read this in Mr. Torgue's voice? :D

A bonewheel shield that lets you roll around over enemies would probably be best.
Yessss

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Gundams that could deploy "funnel bits" to fly alongside them and fire, like the Qubely, are pretty snazzy...

Maybe take a concept like that, and make it more "fantasy". One of the Gundam shows actually took this concept and turned them into rose petals more or less, that'd totally fit in a Castlevania-style game and could probably be seen as a cute homage.

An umbrella.

Plus it keeps you dry when it rains.

To fit with the theme make it a Kasa-Obake, the Japanese ghost umbrella.

inthrall

not very effective, but a novel idea, is a book that opens a random page and attacks with the weapon on that page.

so basically it's just random weapon attacks. like if you press the attack button 3 times you might randomly get a fire whip attack, a wooden sword attack then an Ice Hammer attack.

the weapons that are used are all the weapons in the game so attack power might vary from weakest weapon to strongest weapon.

I can't find a good video, but the Aion auto-attacks with a Tome equipped do this amazingly, the book opens up, you flick to a random page then fling the spell from that page at the enemy

ZangBa

For a more serious answer, maybe consider Chakrams of some sort. A pretty cool weapon type that isn't normally used often in video games, and I'm sure there is potential for movement options with such a weapon.

Very quick ideas based upon Castlevania stylings and drawing heavy influence from precious sub weapons in that series.

Sacred Ash Sword: Each swing of the blade also has the added effect of sprinkling ash under the area swiped dealing light extra damage when stepped upon.
Special input could create a temporary ash cloud more damaging at the expense of losing the blade itself until it reassembles.

Summoning Scythe: because I'm obligated to bring up a scythe, used typically it's a melee weapon with decent range, however there's a chance that with each swing that a dimensional tear may occur summoning in all manner of bonus attacks like a flock of bats pouring out the rift, a giant beast fist dealing massive damage, a timed explosive that can harm both enemies and the player or even some more joke like objects like a small coin to add to the money pile (every little helps right?) or a witches cat that works much like Maria's cat attack in Rondo of Blood.
Basically random gimmickry.
Special input to lob it spinning boomerang style like Death would in certain CV boss battles, obviously this leaves you weaponless until it comes back with the bonus of having a reliable projectile option.

Shattering Stained Glass Spear: seems like stained glass gimmicks will be all the rage with this game's theme. Each attack that lands shatters the spear head which almost instantly reassembles (so little downtime between attacks), but the shattered glass remains floating on that spot and when another spear head shatters assuming it's also visible on screen it creates a string of holy light gleaming from one glass point to the other, up to three points left active at one time so you create a spiffy triangle of damaging light under the right circumstances. The fourth overrides the first.
Special input to just lob it javelin style causing a guaranteed spearhead shatter wherever it lands as to help set up light reflector points for those big static bosses and what not.

Not sure if these are too typical or gimmicky as heck.

When all else fails, weapon with a pogo mechanic

Maybe a weapon that transforms but only if you fulfill some condition.

For example, say a sword that when you miss the enemy you hit the attack button again and it turns into a spear for a follow-up attack that has longer range.

Then maybe if you attack with the spear and it connects, it turns into a sword for the second step-in hit.

Or maybe a slow weapon like a bludgeon that you can swing with and if you miss and hit the attack button you leave the head of the hammer behind and pull out a sword until you can go back and collect the hammer-head.

Or a spear that when you stab with it if it doesn't hit the enemy it shoots out like a projectile and your weapon becomes a short sword until you hit the enemy with it to regain your spear-head.

If you haven't noticed, I think gimmicks are fun.

Razzorn34

After Bloodborne, I'm up for anything that has two modes of attack, or multipurpose.

Something like the scythe/sniper rifle Ruby uses in RWBY.

Tizoc

Okay, then how about a pair of nunchucks that are completely covered with blood and you have a hard time holding onto them, often just slipping out of your goreslick hands and onto the ground, where they get covered in mud. They make a wet "SHPUCK" sound every time that happens. They are unwashable and make your character sad.

Why the fuck would you want a weapon like that? You come up with lame & boring weapon ideas mang :/

Shouta

One of the ideas I have is for a weapon that sets a magical charge when you damage an enemy. But instead of just exploding, you can change the effect it gives you with a different button. So just the secondary button could be an explosion but say up+secondary causes the enemy to freeze then shatter in to ice shards or down+secondary causes an enemy to sksm into the ground with a gust of wind that cause also propel you up like a double jump.

Top Bottom