• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kutaragi Interview. Different PS3 set-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalkMan

Banned
kaigai276_02l.gif

- - Games on PS3 are running at the PS3 with "basic configuration"

- Softwares will have different relationship with hardware(include none gaming) in future.

- Software module will be made inside the PS3(←my direct translation, such as OS?) so PS3 will have no problem adopting new hardware parts(this doesn't mean you can upgrade but just different versions of PS3).

- Thus two models of PS3 are actually two different configurations, thus there might be other configurations in future, such as, enhanced version of CELL, more memory etc.. (I personally believe this is for none gaming software uses) So the Higher-End model of PS3 might be released in future.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0607/kaigai276
@ http://forums.e-mpire.com/showthread.php?t=57707
Translated interview @ http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=772350#post772350

What does this all mean? Just means that there could be future iterations of PS3 with Faster Cell, more memory etc etc. I guess they're also trying to give the PC a run for their money?

HG: In an old interview you said there's no hardware called PS3 but only a meta-format. Is it possible for PS3 to do hardware configuation as long as it has the spec enough to run softwares of a certain profile?

KK: That's right. So every configuration is PS3.
Like he said, all configurations are PS3. There can be further configurations for different needs like TiVo functions or more memory for different tasks. This won't affect gaming because the games will be developed with certain specs in mind.

Stench

Banned
The one on the right has more colour and extra rectangles with words in them.

That means it's better.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hmm...

I guess that's what the extra space on the bluray can do huh? Keep higher and lower detailed assets on the same disc.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Is this anything to do with the BC being hardware at first and then software emulation later down the line to save costs?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mike G.E.D. said:
Wow, that's a terrible idea.

Wrong, Sony only has great ideas. Ideas so great nobody understands them.

Sign me up for the HYPERVISOR another idea they clearly stole from the nintendo helmut

7Th

C'mon Sony, you can recover from GIANT CRABS and 500 dolars, but this is even worse than the cartidges in the N64.

I think this is about the first PS3's having a PS2 chipset and later PS3's using software emulation for BC games.

It was pointed out before in a Japanes mag.

And after I actualy read it, maybe not.

Vormund

typo said:
So the PS3 is the new Amiga. As long as GAMES do not require anything over the basic model, I don't give a flying f-word.

I've been giving Sony a bit of shit after E3, but this doesn't sound that bad to me either.

WalkMan

Banned
typo said:
So the PS3 is the new Amiga. As long as GAMES do not require anything over the basic model, I don't give a flying f-word.
Yea this just gives them the option to add TiVo like functions in the future.

Striek

typo said:
Do not require? If you read the link to a better translation I posted above...

----
HG: In an old interview you said there's no hardware called PS3 but only a meta-format. Is it possible for PS3 to do hardware configuation as long as it has the spec enough to run softwares of a certain profile?

----

Its basically like saying a PS3 $500 model will run the same games as a $600 model and any other model they may or may not produce will do the same thing. Theres no suggestion a $1000 may run more capable games or anything like that.

Kreuzader

The Hypervisor is the lowest-level OS/kernel for the PS3 I believe - other operating systems, like the basic PS3 OS which runs games or, say, Linux - more or less run as applications under the hypervisor.

That's also probably how they maintain some control over what the Linux distribution can do with the hardware.

fmcato

ant1532 said:
HYPERVISOR!?!!?

4D Confirmed!

The Hypervisor is the software in the console that allows several OS running in parallel by using Cell logical partitions. It's real, and I guess that's how they intend to make some PSonline services to work all the time while playing games. And run linux.

zou

Best played using PS3.14a, older models won't be able to run the sophisticated 4D algorithms.

Zaptruder

Banned
Razoric said:
That sounds awesome. I fully support Sony and everything they do. /Zaptruder

LOL SONY AM SUCK LOLOLOL. /Sycophantic GAFfers.

No man. I've been talked about stuff like this over a year ago... the idea of a half generation leap, where software is made fully compatible for the lowest common denominator, but some assets are upgraded to take advantage of upgrades to the system. Of course I was mostly musing, and even I'd be ambivalent to see this in practice, due to the implications.

I do like this quote though:

HG: In the previous console generation, the directions of SCEI, Microsoft, Nintendo, these 3 companies were different but the difference was not so big. But, this time 3 companies turn to completely different directions. There are dramatic differences.

KK: Isn't it good if it can energize the market? If they say the same things they'll end up killing each other.

Console agnostic this generation for the win bitches.

Jinkies! He said something smart at the end of the interview:

Beyond3DForums said:
HG: In the previous console generation, the directions of SCEI, Microsoft, Nintendo, these 3 companies were different but the difference was not so big. But, this time 3 companies turn to completely different directions. There are dramatic differences.

KK: Isn't it good if it can energize the market? If they say the same things they'll end up killing each other.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
360 also has a hypervisor, for security. Basically it's the very low level system that interfaces the OS/Games with the CPU itself, protecting from buffer overflows. The programs think they have direct access to the hardware, but in fact are inside a virtual machine.

Zaptruder

Banned
Striek said:
Do not require? If you read the link to a better translation I posted above...

----

----

Its basically like saying a PS3 $500 model will run the same games as a $600 model and any other model they may or may not produce will do the same thing. Theres no suggestion a $1000 may run more capable games or anything like that.

I think the other implication to what you're saying is that the PS3 might become an open platform, which other developers can create to specification for. They can incorporate additional functionality, but so long as they meet the base functionality of the PS3, then they can run PS3 software and OS. Maybe.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So the Higher-End model of PS3 might be released in future.

I thought the $600 model P$3 was the higher end model??? WTF? Are they coming out with $1000 model in 2008? I thought the P$3 was future proof?

MY HEAD ASPLODE!!!

Get to spinning boys

ram

whats the problem? the standard config should be in every ps3 the same. they are only adding new entertainment features.

Mmmkay

It's probably to increase the perceived value through adding non game functionality. Like you won't see a game which requires a PS3.6 to run and you only have a PS3.2, but the PS3.6 will have a burner, TiVo, and analog audio outputs or something.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea though, as it will confuse the hell out of the consumer.

7Th

ram said:
whats the problem? the standard config should be in every ps3 the same. they are only adding new entertainment features.

They already know, but Sony bashing is the cool thing to do.

Ugh there's a reason I hate computer gaming. I'm hoping that this never comes to fruition like PS2's online bonanza (AOL deal and such).

Is asking for a videogame system too much? I'm not SONY BASHING, I'm quite the supporter, but they've been pretty out there with PS3. We'll see I guess...

It's... interesting. I do like the idea that it's possible for the PS3 architecture to be constantly upgraded without screwing up game compatibility and getting upgraded graphics from some of them. I would feel ripped if I bought a $599 SKU at launch and Sony decided to release a new SKU with a BD-RW, faster CELL and more RAM though.

mikeGFG

Banned
That interview is entertaining.

Ken continuously boast's PS3's application as a computer, and the strides it will make in home entertainment. Then when asked about Xbox and Microsoft's backround in computers & computer software, he states the 360 is no evolution.

riiight.

Striek said:

That's what I'm hoping.

In all honesty, if the Linux capabilities do flesh out for the PS3 (basic or not), then you are essentially getting a computer. I fully understand what Sony is doing--getting away from the traditional console model (which is a heck of a lot riskier than has been done in the past), while allowing console gaming to continue in some form.

MS and Sony want to be the center of your living room, and although MS bashes the shit out of Sony (and often, rightfully so), Sony is a heck of a lot closer to achieving what Microsoft has wanted to do for years.

The problems lies in information/misinformation. If it is generally understood that a base model PS3 will play the same games (and have the same features) as a top-of-the-line PS3, fine--gamers will tend to go for the cheaper, game-centric model while A/V enthusiasts/HTPC lovers may want to go get a more expensive model. However, Sony has created a dangerous situation that could very well blow up in their faces--if people begin to believe a top-of-the-line PS3 will produce better-looking games and have more game-related features than a stock PS3, then cue the sound Wile E. Coyote makes when he falls off a cliff.

fmcato

Dragona Akehi said:
Ugh there's a reason I hate computer gaming. I'm hoping that this never comes to fruition like PS2's online bonanza (AOL deal and such).

I guess the games will be guaranteed to run properly in the basic models, while the upgrades of later revisions would be oriented to other applications.

Unless they really mess it up, of course.

Vormund

but we want to do a computer.

And this is why the Xbox exists.

Anyhow, having faster clocked components later on would probably be actually more economical if plans on having more consumer electronics with Cell come to fruition... (as in not making so many different Cell chip speeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom