• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 on an i3 and 750TI

I haven't seen an official review yet, but I assume it will be coming. Witcher 3 seemed to be a point of interest in the i3/750TI vs PS4 comparisons.

So far this video is all I've seen. This combined with my experience with Witcher 3 on my i5 2400/7870XT points towards the i3/750Ti being comparable to the PS4 experience and by extension the i3 Alienware Alpha. This isn't a thread to belittle the consoles, but to show that good PC optimization can match consoles. This game seems to be well optimized.

I haven't seen an official review yet, but I assume it will be coming. Witcher 3 seemed to be a point of interest in the i3/750TI vs PS4 comparisons.

So far this video is all I've seen. This combined with my experience with Witcher 3 on my i5 2400/7870XT points towards the i3/750Ti being comparable to the PS4 experience and by extension the i3 Alienware Alpha. This isn't a thread to belittle the consoles, but to show that good PC optimization can match consoles. This game seems to be well optimized.

I will be waiting for digital foundry.

HowZatOZ

Banned
That is some amazing performance for the tested tech. Helps that Witcher 3 is well optimised but great for those who can't quite splooge on the higher end PC gaming tech.

Alexandros, is that you?

Kidding OP, I heard the game runs very well on most builds though. Glad to hear.

No not Alexandros :(. I'm just glad it runs as well as it does. I have been contemplating buying a 970 and continue to do so, but my results with The Wither embolden me to wait.

Einbroch

Banned
but to show that good PC optimization can match consoles.

The question isn't whether or not these games can be optimized the question is whether it's worth it for companies to put the effort in. Not surprising for a historically PC-friendly dev, but good to hear.

StevieP

Banned
The question isn't whether or not these games can be optimized the question is whether it's worth it for companies to put the effort in. Not surprising for a historically PC-friendly dev, but good to hear.

These consoles aren't exactly making the prospect all that difficult...

Killerhertz

Neo Member
I will be waiting for digital foundry.

200w.gif

Considering how easy Sony made it seem to optimize/time to triangle for PS4 . I don't see how hard it would be to get PS4 to match or exceed equivalent PC hardware. I think in this case we can come back to CPU deficiencies. My i5 2400 at 40fps sits around 60% most of the time, but in certain situations will hit 80-90% usage and dip to 30fps. My 7870XT in unlocked framerates is pegged at 99%.

StevieP

Banned
Amd fucked up with the Jaguar, that thing is straight up garbage. Even $50 Pentium perform better than Jaguar cpus IIRC.

It wasn't meant to be a high IPC gaming CPU. It was meant to be a small tiny core that's fairly power efficient for an x86 (at the time) in devices like netbooks.

The console manufacturers chose it. Which is funny because the original design docs a couple years prior to their release had a 4 core steamroller instead

It wasn't meant to be a high IPC gaming CPU. It was meant to be a small tiny core that's fairly power efficient for an x86 (at the time) in devices like netbooks.

The console manufacturers chose it. Which is funny because the original design docs had a 4 core steamroller instead

Even in netbooks/tablet pretty much no one use it. 99% of ultrabooks/tablets are either ARM or intel. AMD might as well not exist in that market.

th4tguy

Did people watch the video? He is just under 30 fps almost always with some things turned way down that I believe are on with consoles (AA for example). I think this could have been done better.

StevieP

Banned
Even in netbooks/tablet pretty much no one use it. 99% of ultrabooks/tablets are either ARM or intel. AMD might as well not exist in that market.

They had to try. That's just a symptom of amd not having a competitive CPU in a while (and Intel being so far ahead on tech and spend). Intel is too expensive for a console and arm doesn't work in one either unless you're Nintendo.

Josman

Ha, saw that video yesterday, the 750ti never ceases to amaze me. I got it really cheap while I waited for Pascal and VR and no game has urged me to upgrade it in the meantime.

StevieP

Banned
Did people watch the video? He is just under 30 fps almost always with some things turned way down that I believe are on with consoles (AA for example). I think this could have been done better.

The console versions have framerate issues

His settings are.

VSync Off
Unlocked Framerate
Hairworks off. This one interests me. Did they get this working on consoles?
Number of BG Chars High
Shadows Med
Terrain High
Water Ultra
Grass High
Texture High
Foliage Vis Range Med(this is a huge resource hog)
Detail High

SSAO

Josman

At 1080p he is fluctuating between 25-30fps, mostly on the high end, and he specifies in the description that he gets a ~5fps boost without recording. I don't know if it's true but seems like good performance to me.

and people said "oh 750ti is more powerful than ps4 so duhhh get the witcher 3 on steam and it will outperform ps4 with that card."

and people said "oh 750ti is more powerful than ps4 so duhhh get the witcher 3 on steam and it will outperform ps4 with that card."

It's very comparable. I would endorse Withcer 3 on PC for BC alone. If you swap out your 750Ti with a better GPU down the road you can get better performance.

scitek

I've been playing the game on a laptop with an 860m, which is a 750Ti, and I can run it at all high settings save for Hairworks off, shadows at medium, and textures at Ultra, and keep a pretty solid 30fps...at 1600x900.

Renekton

I think the common language was "comparable" or "trading blows".

The chest-thumping occured when 750Ti had some clear victories in AW and GTAV, which Alexandros sensationalized pretty hard :D but I didn't mind it was a fun topic.

The chest-thumping occured when 750Ti had some clear victories in AW and GTAV, which Alexandros sensationalized pretty hard :D but I didn't mind it was a fun topic.

Heh yeah. It's a good little card. I want it and my i5 in the HTPC when I finally upgrade my main rig.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Incredible that such cheap parts can more or less match the ps4. All companies need to do now is workout how they sell these to the everyday consumer.

flux1

Very close setup to what I have. (Phenom II X4, 750ti) and the game is running fine for me also. I haven't gone in any messed much with the settings, I just picked medium and off I went.

I was worried this GPU might not be enough for when newer games came out when I got it a year ago, but I have been very happy picking it over getting a PS4.

I'm playing with everything set to medium, vertical sync turned on and FPS locked to 30 and I get around 26-30 frames while playing with 0 stuttering.

I'm on an i3 Alienware Alpha with 8GB of RAM.

Knurek

Anyone else find it annoying that NVIDIA's performance guide omits 750TI completely? The 'use 960 for Low/Medium/High' statement is beyond ridiculous.

Rambone

I'm playing with everything set to medium, vertical sync turned on and FPS locked to 30 and I get around 26-30 frames while playing with 0 stuttering.

I'm on an i3 Alienware Alpha with 8GB of RAM.

I'm also playing on an Alienware but the i5 model. Game seems to play nice and smooth at 1080p. 30FPS give or take.

I have everything set to high with the exception of some settings and some filters turned off:
Blur: off
Chromatic Abberation: off
Water: Medium
Grass Density: Medium
NPC Density: Medium
Motion Blur: off
Hairworks: off (I tried turning it on and didn't really notice much of a framerate dip but left if off to ensure that performance is good or consistent)

If I had some kind of FPS tracking program I'd probably have a better idea of what works or what doesn't but this seems to be legit.

flux1

Anyone else find it annoying that NVIDIA's performance guide omits 750TI completely? The 'use 960 for Low/Medium/High' statement is beyond ridiculous.

Indeed. When I saw that I figured I'd be stuck playing at 720p with low settings. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

I'm also playing on an Alienware but the i5 model. Game seems to play nice and smooth at 1080p. 30FPS give or take.

I have everything set to high with the exception of some settings and some filters turned off:
Blur: off
Chromatic Abberation: off
Water: Medium
Grass Density: Medium
NPC Density: Medium
Motion Blur: off

If I had some kind of FPS tracking program I'd probably have a better idea of what works or what doesn't but this seems to be legit.
Download MSI Afterburner.

Alexandros, is that you?

M79vxf2.gif

:D

Yeah, guilty as charged :) It's just exciting to me that such a modest hardware combo like the i3 and the 750Ti is able to effortlessly keep up with the more powerful of the new consoles and even manage to give it a bloody nose in a few games. It's such great news for PC gaming that the hardware barrier for entry is so low.

Personally, it's interesting to compare the release of the first current gen open world RPG, the Witcher 3, with the release of the first last gen open world RPG, Oblivion. I had a fairly midrange PC at the time with a 6600GT and the game didn't run well at all unless I dropped resolution and disabled effects. Now the Witcher 3 can run at good settings on a hardware combo that can only be described as low end in gaming terms. Amazing progress.

Social

I have a passive cooled 750ti and i7 950 with 8gb ram and it runs at a stable 30fps on High 1080p.

I just turned down 2 settings to medium fot this. No hairworks.

This card is amazing

CSX

Interesting. The rumor for the Tekken 7 arcade machines is that they run on 750ti GPUs.
Probably sets the graphical benchmark for easier porting to consoles later on. Does make sense with that Witcher footage

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ CDPROJECTRED said PS4 was equivalent to high settings. I'd say a mix of medium and high is much more likely.(medium for most graphics settings and high for textures)

Seems like decent performance. Considering the Jaguar cores are weaker than the i3, i hope that CDPROJECTRED can get the PS4 version running optimally like Rockstar did GTA5, i'm sure this game is a big CPU hog.

Top Bottom