• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dynasty Warriors title in development for series 15th anniversary

ZhugeEX

Banned
This year marks the 15th anniversary of the Dynasty Warriors series which started with the launch of Dynasty Warriors 2 on PlayStation 2 back in 2000. The series has been a huge success with multiple sequels and spin offs, including the hugely successful Hyrule Warriors which launched on Wii U last year and has sold over 1 million copies to date.

c48c7594.jpg

Along with announcing a new Romance of the Three Kingdoms title last week, Koei Tecmo also confirmed that a new title in the Dynasty Warriors series is in development for the series 15th anniversary.

No further details have been confirmed however Koei did confirm that an event will take place in August where voice actors will appear and we may hear more information about the title there. Right now it looks like this will be announced in Q3 2015 and released in 2016 however that is a guess on my part.

Koei Tecmo have already been fairly open when talking about the future of the Dynasty Warriors series stating multiple times about how they want to refresh and revamp the series and whilst it's not clear how much of a change we'll see, Koei Tecmo have been vocal about some of the other upcoming changes that we may see, however the below is not a definitive list and just stuff from certain interviews:

Koei will not change the 1vs1000 concept nor the historical stories
They are looking to revamp gameplay and introduce some potentially drastic changes
Focus more on quality and experience
Create higher quality movesets with more actions that the player can perform.
Weapon animations from DW8 to be used as a base, maybe?
More emphasis on story with different paths and improved enemy and friendly AI
Introduce new varied terrain and destructible battlefields.
Open world concept? Multiplayer drop in concept?

Thanks to parakeetman for help with translations.

Previous threads-
Dynasty Warriors producer says they hope to revamp series for next instalment (DW9)
Koei Tecmo FY2014/15 Annual Report

PirateKing

Just more quality, randomised enemies and better framerate is all i need.

I shoyld buy 8 and Samurai Warriors 4 on PS4 sometime.

ZhugeEX

Banned
glad to see you back, and good news too

Welcome back ZhugeEX!

Thanks guys :)

I'll be on it day 1 as always...no matter the console. Koei sells systems for me.

I thought I was the only one haha.

Only reason I got PS3, PSV, PS4 and Wii U was because of Koei titles haha

I would like to see more magic used in the series. I want more fantasy elements. I don't care about historical accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

That first sentence was amusing. "[...] Dynasty Warriors series which started with Dynasty Warriors 2 [...]"

I always forget the numbering is messed up compared to the Japanese releases and that the first game was a 1v1 fighter.

After how great and content jam packed DW8CE was on PS4 I'm so hyped for this. Gonna get it day one.

I should really pick up Samurai Warriors 4 on PS4 though.

ZhugeEX

Banned
That first sentence was amusing. "[...] Dynasty Warriors series which started with Dynasty Warriors 2 [...]"

I always forget the numbering is messed up compared to the Japanese releases and that the first game was a 1v1 fighter.

Actually I just suck at math :p

cwistofu

Hopefully they go back to 7's storytelling. 8's need to include every character was nice in theory, but it really destroyed the pacing and overall weight that 7's story mode managed to achieve.

Honestly I would probably buy DW7 remastered with DW8's gameplay.

Past

I like how they addressed the 1vs1000 concept, too bad they keeping it. I remember when the morale and allies actually mattered in the older games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I like how they addressed the 1vs1000 concept, too bad they keeping it. I remember when the morale and allies actually mattered in the older games.

Well actually, the 1 vs 1000 concept has been the motto since Dynasty Warriors 2.

Just with the fact they can now have hundreds of enemies on screen at the same time (anyone remember DW2 blowing people away with 30 characters on screen at the same time) it means they dumb the enemy AI down so you don't have multiple enemies attacking at the same time.

Back when there was less enemies on screen the AI was harder as it needed to be in order to make the game more playable.

Although I fully agree the AI needs to be sorted out, they need to attack more on higher difficulty with different patterns rather than just do more damage like it is now.

Alrus

This is the least surprising announcement ever.

Hyrule Warriors' success overseas is quite impressive. Probably the rare Musou game that ends up selling more in the west than in Japan.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nice

Now please add some more Late Wu characters and stages, omega force!

83 characters is enough bro haha. Maybe in the next title. If they are building a new next gen game I want them to focus on getting the base right first.

They can expand it out in the next one imo

83 characters is enough bro haha. Maybe in the next title. If they are building a new next gen game I want them to focus on getting the base right first.

rip late wu as usual

I really doubt they'll miss out on the chance of adding more characters though

Yawnier

Banned

I was half kidding :p, I wouldn't mind a few more characters to round out Late Wu, and even a few more characters to round out Jin's smaller roster but the gameplay, mechanics, etc. comes first imo.

Don't want another DW6, dear lawd. I hope OF takes their time with this one, I have faith since DW7, 8, and SW4 are all great games.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I was half kidding :p, I wouldn't mind a few more characters to round out Late Wu, and even a few more characters to round out Jin's smaller roster but the gameplay, mechanics, etc. comes first imo.

Don't want another DW6, dear lawd. I hope OF takes their time with this one, I have faith since DW7, 8, and SW4 are all great games.

Agreed. I understand why they added Jin, but they really should have more characters from after 234AD then.

Anyway, not sure if you guys are aware but Koei Tecmo recently hired a new community manager for the North American market. Like Chin in the EU, Eric's role will be to interact with the NA community and provide updates via Twitter, facebook and social media.

He is very much a fan of Koei games himself and so I can't wait till his gaf account gets approved as he is now in charge of all customer facing information.

Shadow780

Agreed. I understand why they added Jin, but they really should have more characters from after 234AD then.

Anyway, not sure if you guys are aware but Koei Tecmo recently hired a new community manager for the North American market. Like Chin in the EU, Eric's role will be to interact with the NA community and provide updates via Twitter, facebook and social media.

He is very much a fan of Koei games himself and so I can't wait till his gaf account gets approved as he is now in charge of all customer facing information.

What's his Twitter handle?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
didn't they confirmed dw9 with new dynamics some time ago?
with all the positive talking about hw sales, I hope to see a sequel alongside dqheroes 2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dynasty Warriors 6 was the first video game I ever imported because I was that hyped for a next gen Musou.

Imagine my disappointment when everyone played the same.

The Dynasty/Samurai ones still outsell the licensed ones ?I always kind of figured there'd be a time when they just cut out the standard musous and only did popular anime musous or whatever.

TreIII

Figured it was about that time. Not to mention that I imagined providing illustrations for DW9's inevitable Treasure Box was one of the few things I could imagine keeping Ayami Kojima busy so that she couldn't be on board for Bloodstained.

In any case...I'll be there, Day 1.

Top Bottom