• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best anime artstyle ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be clear to everyone by now that nearly every anime series/movie/game/whatever has a distinct artstyle. You could just look at a certain anime character and say what anime it's from, simply by judging from his/her artsyle. The main difference in anime artstyles I've noticed is in the eyes. What IYO is the best anime artstyle?

I think Evangelion has the best style I've seen. The eyes are very simplistic, yet they're so appealing and beautiful to me. It's a very "calm" style I think.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd say probably Studio Ghibli's 2D exclusive era - some of the best being in Porco Rosso. Or maybe certain Sunrise and Bones anime. It all depends on the main character designer of the time.

Toshihiro Kawamoto did Cowboy Bebop's and that's pretty iconic. Masayuki did Macross Plus and I adore the shit out of Macross Plus - it's so fluid. Akemi Takada did what I term "relaxing" anime character designs in the Patlabor movies, specifically Patlabor 2.

MrOctober

Banned
00063_wallpaper_cowboy_bebop_1024.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
speedpop said:
That's what happens when you watch the same shitty productions each and every year :lol

no this is what happens when you try to defend shitty looking games on the gaming forum all day.

Cowboy Bebop had a very nice style, but I still think Gainax made the best. Although the reason I may think this is because I "grew up" with CB (it got me into anime in the first place), it just doesn't seem inspiring to me. I don't want to say it's generic, because it's not. But it doesn't really appeal to me like Evangelion's style does.

muttyeah416 said:
all anime looks the same

_shinji.jpg

t-Lloyd.jpg

Yes, bad comparison. But like I said, the main distinction of anime styles is in the eyes. Surely you don't believe the eyes look similar.

7Th

GaimeGuy said:
I see that, as usual, I'm the only Samurai 7 fan around ;_;

Only 2 episodes of Samurai 7 deserve mention in an artstyle thread, and they are completely off-putting to the fans of the series.

New entry from me: Champloo's 21.

Ghibli's Princess Mononoke! Cowboy Bebop!

Those are my choices...but they're also my favorite anime productions ever too....soo, yeah.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just becasue its the most different thing Ive seen done with animation in a long time...

a016%20gankutsuou3.jpg

Other Notables:
Coboy Bebop - First show i ever saw to mix CGi and 2D animation perfectly
FLCL - Just really liked how fluid everything was.

Snaku

Banned
DrForester said:
Just becasue its the most different thing Ive seen done with animation in a long time...

a016%20gankutsuou3.jpg

If I had to pick my second favorite, it would be Gankutsuou. Pretty amazing artstyle and design.

Dead

well not really...yet
7Th said:
Only 2 episodes of Samurai 7 deserve mention in an artstyle thread, and they are completely off-putting to the fans of the series.

New entry from me: Champloo's 21.
Samurai 7's Episode 7 heh, the animation in that episode is so wierdly stylized and fluid, I love it, and yeah pretty much any regular fan who likes the show derides that episode
:lol

One ep of Champloo that i'd mention is the Marijuana field one, it had that awesome sequence by Maasaki Yuasa (actually ep 9 now that I check, not 10)

JRPereira

Hayao Miyazaki

800px-Spirited_away_yu-baaba_chihiro.jpg

I like how the attention to only certain details focuses your eyes in the right direction, and the quality and detail of the animations alone is really neat.

I wish we could include Street fighter 3 in this - not only is the art style great, but the animation style is awesome as well.

jett

D-Member
JRPereira said:
Hayao Miyazaki

800px-Spirited_away_yu-baaba_chihiro.jpg

I like how the attention to only certain details focuses your eyes in the right direction, and the quality and detail of the animations alone is really neat.

I wish we could include Street fighter 3 in this - not only is the art style great, but the animation style is awesome as well.

Huh, I'll give you style, but the animation quality in Miyazaki's films is pretty mediocre...

aoi tsuki

DrForester said:

a016%20gankutsuou3.jpg

Other Notables:
Coboy Bebop - First show i ever saw to mix CGi and 2D animation perfectly
FLCL - Just really liked how fluid everything was.
As much as i loved Gankutsuou, if it didn't have that cool texture effect going on, it would look like a number of other anime. The character designs weren't anything spectacular.

For anime I tend to prefer vibrant and fun - like Gao Gai Gar, Dai Guard, and Godannar.

There are exceptions to that though. So it's pretty stupid to try and pick one.

Plus anything I can tug the tapioca tube to is good too.

Big O:

bo011.jpg

bo012.jpg

Kino's Journey:

kino3.jpg

kino'sTravels.preview.jpg

And just because of how hilarious it is, Cromartie High School:

cromartie-high-school-vol1-2.jpg

26851111356844.jpg

cromartie2.jpg

And I'll second the nomation of Studio Ghibli and Gankutsuou.

Belfast

page005.jpg
page004.jpg

2006-1702.jpg
2006-1701.jpg

Most unique and interesting style, for sure. I love how he uses thin lines, too, and the color work is fantastic. The anime version suffers a little due to the need for a weekly show almost year round, but Oda's actual art is amazing and completely different. You'd be hard pressed to find two characters that look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom