• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS4] Witcher 3 : Framerate is an issue and it needs to be addressed.

valkyre

Ok I decided to open this thread because the game, while it is amazing and such, it really performs pretty bad on PS4.

Apart from the well established stuttering issue that plagues the entirety of the game, the framerate once you leave White Orchard and start exploring the world can become a complete mess.

Bog areas with fog are affected greatly, a big chunk of performance goes down the drain, and if rain comes into play, then thats when things get reeally bad...

During the night in cities, or in places with torches and lots of lights, framerate goes south as well.

During fighting, using igni , fighting wraiths, fog type monsters etc the game simply becomes laggy/unresponsive and performance is a mess.

The more you play the game and explore its vast world the more you realize how the optimization is lacking and how frequent serious framerate issues appear. Today I took the -hard- decision to put the game on hold until something gets done. Doing some quests in the bog really was the last straw for me. This wasnt fun/immersive or anything. I just wanted it to end so I could turn off my PS4.

Point of this thread is not to start endless moaning and dev cursing, but to urge CDP to acknowledge and to try to address the problem ASAP. In the past we have been reassured that the console versions will run great and framerate wont be an issue. In PS4's case that is definetely not true at the moment and I could say it is leaps and bounds away from that promise.

No moaning, no cursing, just well behaved and constructive criticism please. We absolutely love the game and we want to be fully immersed in it without such poor performance. We have examples of games that had fps problems and got perfectly fixed via patch, like GTAV and Borderlands 2 (recent ones as well).

Also another important note, if you are the kind of guy who doesnt notice any framerate problems, has no issues even if he notices framerate problems etc, please, with all due respect, do us all the favor and dont contribute on this thread. You have no problem, fine, you are the lucky ones and we are jealous of your immunity to framerate issues spoiling all the fun (no sarcasm here). But for us poor lads, framerate does spoil the fun and we would like to get some attention on this matter and make sure it gets fixed. We are not trying to downgrade your gfx, we are trying to upgrade our framerate.

Thanks for your understanding.

UPDATE 30/05: Gamersyde was kind enough to make a performance/comparison test in one of the aforementioned areas (bogs) were the framerate in PS4 falls apart. Mind you this isnt the only scenario were w3 on PS4 performs poorly.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_swamps_1_03-34759_en.html

Auctopus

I think there's worse games for it but I do notice it a bit, especially in the swamp following Johnny around but I think wraiths are the most notable parts...

Every time they teleport/disappear there is a legitimate hang before they reappear and they can usually get in a free hit.

Matush

I wanted to buy this game day one, but the more I hear about a problems, the more I think I'll wait until they are ironed out.

Kaversmed

Sometimes I wonder if some people are having worse framerate issues than me or that I'm just not that susceptible to it. :/ I do feel sad for people not enjoying the game because of the issues, though. Hope it gets fixed/improved.

You can tell people not to post if they don't agree with you now?

As to everyone, this game does not have HUGE issues. Besides some framerate issues. It's a great game just with "oh.. the game shuttered... oh it's ok.. now" moments.

If there is gonna be a thread seemly about this game being sorta unplayable. I'ma make post about it being pretty darn playable. insert smiley face.

Kosma

Banned
I wanted to buy this game day one, but the more I hear about a problems, the more I think I'll wait until they are ironed out.

You're missing out, I think the game runs pretty good on PS4.

Patch also seems to have made it even better.

Undead

We are not trying to downgrade your gfx, we are trying to upgrade our framerate.

What if in order to improve the framerate they have to downgrade the graphics?

In all seriousness I want this to hurry up and get sorted, I'm not playing it again until it has been.

Floex

There really arn't many problems, the framerate is only really bad like the OP says in certain areas. Still, it needs to be fixed and hopefully fast but I wouldn't let it put you off buying the game.

i got through dragons dogma, ill get through this.
but yeah, no, im waiting a couple of patches before i seriously start playing, i tasted it, now let it improve

geordiemp

Yup, Our 2 x Ps4 house was about to buy it, watched DF and put the buy on Hold.

Cant play games like this. Would rather wait.

If they don't fix it then will get it eventually when I build a gaming PC later in year....

Also agree with OP, frame rate stutters, tearing and stuff gives me a headache - I like a smooth 30 or 60 at 1080p

I can recall how much my enjoyment of Borderlands 1 went rapidly downhill when FPS tanked, I scour DF comments on every game before I buy.

My issues are fucking strange. (PS4)

My game isn't recognizing that there's a new update available, so I'm stuck on 1.01.

Also, even though they apparently removed region restrictions on DLC, the free pieces of DLC that I download get stuck on "Waiting to Install" and never finalize the installation.

Worse still, my friend has been getting SERIOUS save file corruptions. Even though he backed his data up, the game started going wonky with manual saves around Skellige (I think, or was it Velen) when he tried to save near some military encampment/base.

He lost 30+ hours of progress (on PS4 as well).

It's more that "it doesn't bother me" doesn't really add anything. You're still agreeing that the game has framerate issues, just that you don't care about them.

OT: I agree, especially the Velen swamps had some pretty heavy framerate issues.

Agree with you OP, needs to be adressed. In big city towns it runs sub 30fps almost all the time, in the rain also - the combo of those two is like 20fps and swam, smoke or fire areas are also su 30fps.

This is like AC:Unity level sometimes.

Zakalwe

Banned

It's not about agreeing. The game objectively has frame rate issues. Fact.

Some people aren't as sensitive or don't mind them. OP was merely requesting people refrain from posting just to let the thread know they're not affected.

Of course the request itself is probably going to derail things more than just ignoring them would have.

-

Slightly OT: Have they mentioned the lack of 30fps lock on Xbox yet? Does the xbox dip to the same lows as ps4 in similar places or is to just ps4 affected?

valkyre

Really thats what you get from the OP?

So ok, tell me what is it you dont agree with?

That the game has framerate issues?

or

You dont want the game to be improved in any way?

I am not depriving you your right to express yourself, but bear in mind that :

A) framerate issues are a fact with numerous videos/proof out there

B) the note was trying not to derail the thread into a constant bickering between people who want the game's performance to be improved and others who simply dont care or have no issues with fps drops and just - i dont know - simply dont want it to be improved I guess and love the drama.

You add nothing to the conversation/topic with such behavior.

Most of the time it's not actually bad enough to bother me, but within the big cities, combined with the the absurd pop-in of NPCs, it can looks pretty awful.

newsguy

I Never had an an issue until I did a mission in the swamp. It was like 5 drowners and a water hag. The performance was so bad that I thought my PS4 was dying. it went from 30fps to like 10 in a second.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The more time I spend in novigrad, the more this is annoying me. Stuttery as hell lately, especially in the rain.

geordiemp

I Never had an an issue until I did a mission in the swamp. It was like 5 drowners and a water hag. The performance was so bad that I thought my PS4 was dying. it went from 30fps to like 10 in a second.

When I read stuff like this the game gets an insta no buy. I just cant deal with that

Also 900p is NOT a solution either. An open world exploration game is about the vistas and soaking up the exploration - sub HD kills that enjoyment for me nowadays.

Dev needs to optimise, cut un necessary stuff like CA or some un necessary effects...Heck even a few seconds pause while loading in 'areas' like Destiny would be better than interrupted game play.

I agree, they need to fix this. Its super sad that this wonderful game is plagued by the horrible frame rate in some fights. some areas and fights get really bad. When the frame rate is stable the game is amazing, and it is stable for most of the time its just certain areas and fights in certain areas that drags the frame rate down to annoyingly bad levels.

We have seen many games this generation having this problem with low frame rate, games released and gets 10 patches before they work as intended etc. why is that? hope this is not the way its going to be cause I am getting fed up on half finished games being released.

Get your shit together Devs.

Zakalwe

Banned
As to everyone, this game does not have issues. Besides some framerate issues. It's a great game just with "oh.. the game shuttered... oh it's ok.. now" moments.

This game is not your family or a weak newborn in need of your valiant protection. There's zero need to be so defensive about it, it is not personal to you.

The game has technical issue on console and PC, this is a fact and a fact CDPR have acknowledge and have said they're addressing.

If you find the frame rate issues acceptable then you're lucky. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game on ps4 in its current state, I feel sorry for hose like me who have no choice but to play it on that platform.

murgo

Agreed. The performance is terrible in a lot of places. It doesn't make the game any less awesome for me, but it does annoy me sometimes.

Dominator

I'm less susceptible to noticing frames and while I see stutter here and there, it is in no way, shape, or form affecting my enjoyment and playing of the game. Hope it gets patched for those that it truly bothers but for me its fine.

AHindD

Just wondering if the Xbox One has the same issues? I realise it can run higher than 30fps, but the PS4 version seems to be the only one being thrown under the bus regarding fps dips.

If they plan to lock the X1 version to 30fps in an upcoming patch, what do they have planned for the PS4 version? Patch 1.04 for PC brought performance improvements, right? Hopefully the same happens for PS4.

UnrealEck

As to everyone, this game does not have issues. Besides some framerate issues. It's a great game just with "oh.. the game shuttered... oh it's ok.. now" moments.

It has issues with bugs and crashes as well. Or at least it did.

Dimitri0508

Neo Member
Haven´t been to the swamps or Novigrad yet, but I might wait until CDP improves framerate. So far the loading screens in Velen are another huge issue. Often they are 60-80 seconds long. And I am playing on death march, so I'm seeing them a lot. Checkpoint placement is also terrible. The game should have been delayed for a few months extra, because right now these technical issues are ruining it a little bit.

I don't think it performs badly. All these posts turn people away from the game, as if it were broken. Like it gets choppy in like a area or two. Definitely nothing to turn you off the game. It's a huge game, I give them props on how it runs. It's no The Order 1886 for sure. So yeah it bothers me people nitpickin the graphics and now some framerate drops.

But that's fine, just bothers me.. I'm not allowed to say that apparently^

Now if it's some huge bugs destroying saves that's something else. But anyone here knows they are working on the framerates. Eh idk.

newsguy

When I read stuff like this the game gets an insta no buy. I just cant deal with that

Also 900p is NOT a solution either. An open world exploration game is about the vistas and soaking up the exploration - sub HD kills that enjoyment for me nowadays.

To be fair, it lasted like 10 seconds. I wouldn't dismiss this game though, I have a hard time getting into RPGs and this one has me enthralled. It's like a bunch of fun, well-told stories spread out through this huge world. Most are dark, many have cool twists. You won't care if it occasionally stutters because you're so caught up in where the story is taking you.

Yeah it's dips quite a bit especially if in a swamp, but I wouldn't stop playing the game in hopes that they will fix it. I wish they will keep it stable 30fps, but I can't see them doing that.

Framerate does get bad in some areas, notably the swamp, but it certainly doesn't render the game unplayable. I hope they do patch, but in no way do I think this should prevent people from buying the game. It runs better than many open world games last gen and in my opinion it is the best game I have played this gen by a wide margin.

Pooya

The bog swamp area is quite demanding on PC too, the foliage there is crazy. They probably overestimated what they could do. It's always the swamps!

Very beautiful though...

Prine

Banned
Just wondering if the Xbox One has the same issues? I realise it can run higher than 30fps, but the PS4 version seems to be the only one being thrown under the bus regarding fps dips.

Ive only noticed framerate issue once, and that was during a the Shrieker fight. Apart from that its been stable, i was particularly surprised how it kept up its fps during a fight with 2 Foglings in the swamps, lots of effects flying around and fast camera panning. Not sure if those constitute as test steps, but it the same steps i used when fighting the Shrieker that caused the FPS to degrade.

DOWN

Banned
Mine gets stuck in the mid to low 20s in the Velen bogs, and worse during rain. Dips all around.

Zakalwe

Banned
One of the highest priorities in game development ought to be consistent framerate.

Performance should trump visuals, but visuals sell.

Personally, I aim for 60fps and it surprises me so many accept 30 if it offers better visual effects. Great for screenshots, but in motion you lose almost as much detail as you've gained due to a huge loads of clarity when you're only seeing half the frames.

Anyway, I think it's evident that if we took it further there would be a large amount of people happy with 30fps high with dips to 20 or even below of it afforded better visuals.

To me, the clarity of a higher frame rate so you can actually see the detail of the visuals in motion should be something was essential. At the very least a locked 30 should be the lowest acceptable standard. If it means stripping back a few effects them so be it, your game won't screen shot as well but at least you'll be able to appreciate more of the details when you're not standing still.

valkyre

This game is not your family or a weak newborn in need of your valiant protection. There's zero need to be so defensive about it, it is not personal to you.

The game has technical issue on console and PC, this is a fact and a fact CDPR have acknowledge and have said they're addressing.

If you find the frame rate issues acceptable then you're lucky. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game on ps4 in its current state, I feel sorry for hose like me who have no choice but to play it on that platform.

This... so much of this.

I dont get why people seem so offended when there is constructive, valid criticism...

what are they afraid really? That the game will be improved? It looks to me more of an attempt to derail the thread for the sake of drama...which pretty much proves me right for speaking about it in the OP.

Anyway.

Bog areas and cities are most affected but generally in every corner of the world if you fight fog beats or wraiths there is a significant performance cost. The game feels like it is poorly optimized for PS4. I dont think its a 1080p issue. The drops in bog areas are huge. Not even 900p would fix that. And btw 900p is not the way to fix it and I wouldnt worry of CDP droping the resolution.

The framerate is fluctuating a lot in so many situations that it really feels like poor optimization in general to me.

do you think CDPR just intentionally capped the framerate at 30? no, the ps4 can't handle 60 for this game so you'll have to deal with it. the game looks amazing and would be even better at 60, but oh well. this method goes against what most people will tell you, but for games like this, (GTAV), where it runs at 30fps, i turn on the motionflow smooth option and it helps.

They need to drop the resolution and increase the detail setting to high and AF to 16x.

I have been testing performance with the Alpha and found that 900p with these settings produces similar IQ at a higher framerate.

sn00zer

The Witcher series has a notorious history of buggy releases. Witcher 2 got an insane amount of patches to get to the state it is in today, same with Witcher 1 I expect no different for Witcher 3..

Tobor

They need to drop the resolution and increase the detail setting to high and AF to 16x.

I have been testing performance with the Alpha and found that 900p with these settings produces similar IQ at a higher framerate.

No, no, no. It has to stay at 1080P, no matter what. They can fix the framerate some other way.

Zakalwe

Banned
do you think CDPR just intentionally capped the framerate at 30? no, the ps4 can't handle 60 for this game so you'll have to deal with it. the game looks amazing and would be even better at 60, but oh well. this method goes against what most people will tell you, but for games like this, (GTAV), where it runs at 30fps, i turn on the motionflow smooth option and it helps.

This isn't about 30fps cap.

This is about severe drops in frame rate below the cap.

valkyre

I dont think anyone here expected or demands the game to run at 60 fps on ps4! We simply want the game to run smoothly at 30 fps. Stop with this nonsense that a developer has done the best he could do...

we have numerous examples were devs improved their games tremendously after release...

Top Bottom