• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I've been throwing away my game cases for several years. I regret it now.

For a couple of years, I've been throwing away game cases, in favor of keeping my games in one giant disc booklet instead. I live in a college dorm room, and wanted to keep extra clutter down to an absolute minimum.

I know, I'm a terrible person.

I'm starting to like the idea of having a bookshelf full of games, and I can't really do that with just discs. Is there any way to make custom game cases that look nice and professional? The games in question are all for the Wii and Wii U, and I want the colors and dimensions to match up with official cases.

Mendax

you cant make custom game cases, you'll need to buy empty dvd cases.

covers can be custom but the original ones should also be findable online

and we've got a whole thread on beautiful custom cover art!

Throwing away cases or boxes always blows my mind. I have super Nintendo games housed in their well cared for boxes. On the rare instance I got a game sans box, I made a box.

When you move out of the dorm, you'll appreciate not having to move all those cases. You'll appreciate it every time you move thereafter too. I get that collector's mentality, but condensing your overall footprint always makes things easier. (I also believe in selling back games though, for which not having cases will be a definite issue.)

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
http://www.supermediastore.com
http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Think of recycling next time you mass exodus game cases. Then again, maybe you already did =) It'll set you back some money, but if you want what you want, this is how you're gonna do it. Search game casesand download covers and print them at any printing place you have nearby. They're sure to accommodate you. Also, word of wisdom. Don't do this. You live in a college dorm. Just wait until you're not moving anymore. Because you won't appreciate all your physical media then unless you have a boss trunk to store them in like I do.
11267698_1071859336162390_806618170_n.jpg

Batman TDKR under Bloodborne, Pacific Rim under Lego Movie, XCOM under Fantastic Mr.Fox, more One Piece under PQ under Spectacular Spider, DBZ:K under One Piece under TMOHS S1, Vita games under RWBY
They were recycled, so there's that, at least.
Funny guy, you.

theRizzle

I keep all my 360 games split between two 256 disc booklets, but all the cases are stored in boxes in my dad's basement. Even if I had the space for it, I have absolutely no interest in using video game boxes as home decor, so this works for me just fine.

PS4 I only have about 8 games so they are just stacked in a pile beside my receiver.

Kazerei

Banned
I live in a college dorm room, and wanted to keep extra clutter down to an absolute minimum.
I hear ya. What I did was leave all the cases at my parents house, taking only the discs and carts with me to university.

Actually I still use my parents house as long-term storage >_>

I threw away all my PC boxes from the late 90's early 2000's many years ago due to storage reasons, kept the manuals and insides at least. Dumb decision looking back.

I have managed to buy a few mint replacements: BG2, Fallout 1 and a couple of others.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
ah i did this during the gamecube/ps2 days. I learned my lesson and kept all my last gen cases tho and keep all my current gen ones as well. what i do for my portable games(3ds and vita) is that i buy one of those cases that can store like 10+ games in it and put the regular cases under my bed inside one of those small suitcases that you normally use when you take a plane(i admit i have no idea what the english name for it is, i only know what its called in spanish :p)

Uhyve

I threw away all my PC boxes from the late 90's early 2000's many years ago due to storage reasons, kept the manuals and insides at least. Dumb decision looking back.

I have managed to buy a few mint replacements: BG2, Fallout 1 and a couple of others.
I started repurchasing my old big PC cardboard box games from ebay. I've now got a nice little collection of my old favourites. Curse of Monkey Island, Settlers 2, Syndicate, Constructor, Creatures, Pandemonium. They may never be worth anything, but they're so nice to have.

GHG

Gold Member
So you're one of those strange people that throw DVD cases away. Very strange.

Yeh this is one of the few things in life that genuinely leaves me lost for words when I meet someone who tells me they do this. I don't even know where to begin.

loss_for_words.gif

Printing your own covers is fine and all, but what about the manuals?

I'm afraid you may need to rebuy your whole collection.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This makes me sad.

I do put my discs in a binder but thank god I kept the cases in storage.

Christof

Neo Member
Just moved and I am so glad i got rid of my cases. What I did instead was get a DVD binder which I could then keep the discs AND the case inserts. It looks awesome flipping through and seeing all the great case art and it saved so much room.

Jobbs

Banned
The case is agrguably the best part. My shelf has a lot of games I've still never played, but I like having them nonetheless.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sorry to break so many hearts here, but I've started throwing away cases of hundreds of games and I've never been happier. What a waste of space. DS and 3DS games in particular. Just buy a few 24 game cases and that's 1/20th the space taken up.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I got the collector bug a long time ago, so I understand holding onto every single thing that came with the game.

But here's the thing: not all folks think like that. Saturn cases are a pain in the ass. N64 and super Nintendo games came in god forsaken cardboard boxes. Don't get me started on classic pc games.

Some folks get games just for the experience. They don't need to get the case and manual and spine card and cloth map and mini strategy guide and phone card and mini figurine and remote control car with camera and limited waifu pillow

Steel

Banned
Eh. I used to do the same thing more or less(I kept the cases, just squirreled them away). Never had a change of heart though, just went 90% digital so it didn't matter anymore.

Jedi2016

I've seen what those disc books can do to CDs and DVDs.. no way would I ever allow my games near one of them.

Replacement cases are cheap, though.. you can probably just Google it. Download and print off some covers and you're good. Perfect opportunity for custom covers, too.

entremet

I got the collector bug a long time ago, so I understand holding onto every single thing that came with the game.

But here's the thing: not all folks think like that. Saturn cases are a pain in the ass. N64 and super Nintendo games came in god forsaken cardboard boxes. Don't get me started on classic pc games.

Some folks get games just for the experience. They don't need to get the case and manual and spine card and cloth map and mini strategy guide and phone card and mini figurine and remote control car with camera and limited waifu pillow

Saturn and Sega CD cases were so damn delicate.

I wish Sega went with standard jewel cases from the jump. Even Sony's dumbass self did the same thing, but they learned eventually and went to jewel cases.

Wow, always wondered why so many games were missing their original case at gamestop. I always thought it was because little kids lost them or destroyed them, but now I know.

gruenel

Sorry to break so many hearts here, but I've started throwing away cases of hundreds of games and I've never been happier. What a waste of space. DS and 3DS games in particular. Just buy a few 24 game cases and that's 1/20th the space taken up.

Same here, I threw away 100+ PS3 game cases a few months ago. No regrets. I also don't give a shit about "collector's value." Come at me, GAF.

Top Bottom