• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucky Louie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
aparisi2274 said:
"I'm gonna **** your tits off"

LOL!!!!

No. I watched the first 10 minutes and turned to the history channel. Its just another shitty sitcom but in this they cuss.

Tedesco!

This is going to turn out to be a solid Sunday for HBO. First Deadwood, then Entourage, and now Lucky Louie.... Righteous!

TheDuce22

Banned
Alot of that stuff was straight out of his standup and was 1000x funnier before they translated it to a sitcom. Given some time to develop I think it could be pretty good but that first episode was dissapointing.

Tedesco!

I think you always have to give a sitcom at least 3 episodes. Richard Jeni, George Carlin, Chris Rock... all their sitcoms' pilots were all based off the standup. Give it time. I think this show has some serious potential.

TheDuce22

Banned
Tedesco! said:
I think you always have to give a sitcom at least 3 episodes. Richard Jeni, George Carlin, Chris Rock... all their sitcoms' pilots were all based off the standup. Give it time. I think this show has some serious potential.

Thats what im hoping for. He is by far my favorite comedian so I hope the show gets better. He has a bunch of free videos on his website for anyone who cares.

http://www.louisck.com/videoclips.htm

Baker

Banned
I don't have HBO, but I love me some Lil' Jimmy Norton. How big of a part does he have it?

Louie CK is also the only comedian I've ever seen in a comedy club.

ZootedGranny said:
I thought the material he incorporated from his standup worked just fine, and I thought the show as a whole was hilarious.

Agreed. I recognized a few of the bits, but they fit just fine into the fabric of the show.

Speaking of standup, did any one stay up for Tourgasm? Holy effing crap. That was, without a doubt, the most unfunny unROCKing Comedy Rockumentary I've ever seen. Sorry, guys, you can't do Comedians Of Comedy because unlike Zach, Patton, Maria, and Brian, y'all are clearly in no way naturally funny. And that standup!

My wife and I simulatneously were like "No way is he going to say 'Hurricane Bitch'. No one is that unfunny."

Guess what happened.

Worst show ever aired. Ever. Even Cook's bits stunk. Even Gulman's bits showed he hasn't written new stuff since LCS (which he actually ruled on). EVER.

Justin

I really enjoyed the show and found myself laughing out loud several times. What I like the most is the freedom the show gets on HBO, not just language but content. I loved the bit with the girl crying because she got a black barbie and Louie trying to conect with his black neigbors.

ChunderMan

Living in a one-dimensional world...
I thought the show was pretty damn funny. But what the hell is with the super-ghetto sets and lighting? I have to wonder if the low quality was intentional as HBO usually puts more money than that into their shows...

TheDuce22

Banned
Looks like the show is doing well.

-HBO’s Lucky Louie Picks Up Steam:
HBO sitcom Lucky Louie has attracted more eyeballs in week two, with its cumulative weekly average building to 4.1 million viewers -- 300,000 more than its debut week. Comparably, that narrowed the gap opposite Entourage, which dipped from a total of 5.0 million to 4.5 million viewers in those same two weeks. Western Deadwood, also in originals, dipped as well, with 3.9 to 3.2 million viewers (and trailing Lucky Louie by 900,000 viewers in that second week).

Edit: Source

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters/proginsider/index.jsp

ZeoVGM

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Looks like the show is doing well.

-HBO’s Lucky Louie Picks Up Steam:
HBO sitcom Lucky Louie has attracted more eyeballs in week two, with its cumulative weekly average building to 4.1 million viewers -- 300,000 more than its debut week. Comparably, that narrowed the gap opposite Entourage, which dipped from a total of 5.0 million to 4.5 million viewers in those same two weeks. Western Deadwood, also in originals, dipped as well, with 3.9 to 3.2 million viewers (and trailing Lucky Louie by 900,000 viewers in that second week).

awesome

source though?

I'm glad the show is doing well, but I'd like to see the numbers after the last episode. After what I thought were two killer episodes, Sunday's was a downer. Louie has said that HBO is waiting to pull the trigger on shooting an additional 8 to run this fall/winter if these 12 work out, which I hope happens.

ChunderMan said:
I thought the show was pretty damn funny. But what the hell is with the super-ghetto sets and lighting? I have to wonder if the low quality was intentional as HBO usually puts more money than that into their shows...

Louie is actually answering a bunch of questions about the show on his site, and that question in particular...

http://www.louisck.com/upload/showthread.php?t=545

First of all, the set is atcually an excellent representation of a very very shitty apartment that my wife and I lived in when we had our first child. IT was a complete dump with lumpy walls, scabbed in door ways, and you were always smoking your neighbor's cigarettes through the walls. We wanted to do a show about a couple that is typically, and Americanly broke. Every show I ever see on tv is about rich people or people that are supposed to be poor but live in lush apartments with chachkis all over the walls and huge mater bedrooms.
Our apartment is a true shithole. It's practically a character on the show.

He goes into further detail, but that's the gist.

ChunderMan

Living in a one-dimensional world...
ZootedGranny said:
He goes into further detail, but that's the gist.
That's cool. But I still think the lighting sucks. I've never seen a show with so many harsh shadows. It's like they're only using three lights to do the entire set... and two of those are flashlights.

The wife on the show is also the voice of Bobby on King of the Hill, right? I heard Louis CK on Bob and Tom the other day and I thought that's what he said. I've never seen the show but after hearing that I'm kinda interested...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yeah, some of the stuff is hit and miss, but I like the characters so far, and there's lots of good stuff, and more potential. Can't wait to watch it mature as see how/if everything falls into place.

Ecrofirt

I really can't stand the acting from the black neighbor. The man just can't seem to act, in my opinion. Same with the little girl. her stuff seems too forced.

Other than that, the show is butter.

Terrible show. I can't believe HBO is airing this and the followup disaster, Tourgasm. Jesus. Thankfully, The Wire, Deadwood and Entourage more than make up for the lameness that ends the night.

ocelittle

Banned
I watched a bit of it twice and was shocked at how stupid it is. It's just like...the lowest form of humor I've ever seen.

I don't know, I couldn't get into it...

It's like they just want to say **** as many times as possible.

BrandNew said:
The girl is hot.

bobbyhill.jpg

It was not Joey bad, but still pretty weak. Why can't more sitcoms be plot driven, too often they just seem to write the jokes first and then just figure out some lame and totally uninteresting plot to tie them together...

ocelittle

Banned
SpoonyBard said:
It was not Joey bad, but still pretty weak. Why can't more sitcoms be plot driven, too often they just seem to write the jokes first and then just figure out some lame and totally uninteresting plot to tie them together...

QFT.

Fatalah

I like the show, although I sometimes force myself to stick with it when the jokes aren't working. It's like I'm subconsciously looking for a funny new show to watch this summer, even if I have to force it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom