• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does no one talk about Fallout 3's Tranqulity Lane quest? It's amazing!

HUGE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED FALLOUT 3

latest

I'm playing Fallout 3 and managed to get farther than I have ever gotten the first time I played it years ago. I just completed the aforementioned quest this morning. Why have I never heard any mentionings of it in the years since the game came out? It's an amazing quest, especially compared to the not-so-amazing mainline quests that preceded it.

Going inside that weird 1950's simulation of Pre-War American suburbia, trying to understand why almost everyone is not aware they're in some hallucinogenic dream, being told to commit evil acts for the pleasure of a little girl who is actually the scientist observing everyone in the simulation, discovering the failsafe terminal and getting everyone killed by virtual chinese soliders, discovering your dad Liam Neeson was watching you do these heinous tasks as a dog the whole time. This quest has it all.

It's also impressive how many options you're given to progress it. Like how you can make that kid cry by either punching him, telling him his parents are divorcing, convincing him that he's being sent to an army school using a brochure you can find, or make a Batman out of him by killing his parents.

The best part is that you don't have to do anything for Dr. Braun to complete the quest. At any time you could have bumped into the old lady who points you to the abandoned house (or find it yourself), discover the failsafe terminal, and prematurely end the simulation by setting off a small Chinese invasion.

It's a well thought out quest and I'm somewhat disappointed that I haven't found anything as good as it in the 25 hours I've played this game. How do you feel about Tranquility Lane, GAF? Is it the best this game has to offer me or have I not seen shit yet?

LiK

Yea, it was pretty amazing and unexpected. It was talked about a lot in the various FO3 threads iirc

I love the quest, and usually I plan on spending a decent amount of time there until the music drives me up the wall and I end shit with an invasion, xp

It's Fallout 3's "Beyond the Beef" - a fantastic setpiece. Trapping Braun in his own simulation without anymore minds to torment is probably the most you've ever fucked someone over in the series. Even when you do a similar thing to House in NV, you know his life support might last him a year or two at most. Braun's been there for decades and he'll continue to be there for decades more.

Haunted

"Why is no one talking about it" is one of the weirder statements to make when it's widely considered one of the best quests in the whole game.

Is it the best this game has to offer me or have I not seen shit yet?

Uhhh, depends. There are a lot of good moments such as this one. There are a good 4-5 areas I can think of off the top of my head that left me speechless as I left them. This ranks up there with one of the best, however.

It's an amazing quest. Something that the Fallout 4 "past segments" reminded me of and hope to see more/somewhat like it.

But yeah, plenty talked about it. It isn't ignored.

Ploid 3.0

It was a spoiler, and people did talk about it. This was before Obama became president so there must have been a ton of discussions about it that you may have missed.

Apathy

"Why is no one talking about it" is one of the weirder statements to make when it's widely considered one of the best quests in the whole game.

Well that and the fact the game was released in 2008. We already talked about this, years ago. That's why no one talks about it.

BigDes

Everyone talked about it when it came out, and now it is conveniently ignored to fit the narrative that Bethesda can't write decent quests.

Which is fair enough I suppose.

One of the dullest quests in a game filled with dull quests. I had honestly forgotten all about it until I came across this thread.

MrBali

Neo Member
I was playing it on my PS3 and I remember something with the filter in that quest making me feel ill. The section was fun no doubt but I legitimately felt like puking because of the weird colors and low fps. (Again, not bashing the graphics it was the weird filter in that specific section)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Tranquility Lane is one of three highlights of the game. The second is Malcolm McDowells President Eden speeches. The third is having access to music in-game.

Top Bottom