• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III: Code VFD (Sega) announced for 3DS

Takao

Banned
0b22KDR.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/30081975.html
http://dragon3.sega.jp/

There's basically no info on this other than its October 15th release date and a livestream set for July 4th.

Imageepoch developed the DS and PSP games, but they're dead and no studio is listed. Perhaps Sega hired on some former staff to finish up Stella Glow and then work on this? Hope this works out better for Sega than that game did lol

edit:
Director: Masayuki Kawabata
Producer: Juro Watari
Scenario Writer: Sou Yoda
Character Designer: Shirow Miwa
Composer: Yuzo Koshiro
Theme Song: sasakure.UK

Tripon

For some reason, I thought it was a Dragon Quest announcement.

Seems to me that even with its old age, more 3ds announcements are happening now instead of years past.

WOAH!!! :O

An actual, Sega-commissioned, JRPG, not "kiddie" like Hero Bank, for 3DS, and not Vita, and of a series that's mainly on PSP in its current form?!

Oh my, never thought I'd see it. I thought Stella Glow was just "saved" and nothing to follow. o_O

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I approve of this greatly, while not perfect the 7th Dragon 2020 series was not too bad. Had good music too. Though I really hope they increase the party size past 3. Since 3 was just too low of a number to get any sort of useful party combinations going on.

hongcha

Perhaps Sega hired on some former staff to finish up Stella Glow and then work on this?

Stella Glow was finished in November 2014. Sega did nothing but publish it. It is very possible they snagged former Imageepoch staffers to make this game, though.

duckroll

If they drop the 2020 theme and make a true sequel to 7th Dragon, I might be interested. Wonder who's working on this? Seems possible that Sega really did absorb ex-Imageepoch staff after the company folded.

Edit: Maybe not? The director is Masayuki Kawabata from Sega. He also directed Phantasy Star Zero.

Wasn't this the series by the creator od Phantasy Star?

Wasn't it the EO dude after number 2?

If they drop the 2020 theme and make a true sequel to 7th Dragon, I might be interested. Wonder who's working on this? Seems possible that Sega really did absorb ex-Imageepoch staff after the company folded.

Edit: Maybe not? The director is Masayuki Kawabata from Sega. He also directed Phantasy Star Zero.

Ooooooh, I'm interested even more.

kiryogi

Banned

Considering the modern motif with the concept image already. . . Seems very much steeped from 2020.

Really?! Also surprising since the director of 2020 and 2020-II... directed Stella Glow.

crinale

Considering the release date it's not like development started after ImegeEpoch went under, so it may be Sega continued the half-finished project and going to complete it this fall.

Eusis

I suspect localization depends entirely on if they throw it to Atlus or Atlus pursues it. Nothing from SoA, and nothing from someone else.

The producer is Juro Watari, previously the series producer for the Virtual On series. Not Rieko Kodama.

Interesting. I hope there wasn't a bad shake-up when IE closed, no way they weren't on this since they did every entry and it was only a short while ago this all happened, really odd to have a new director and producer unless this was a very recent change-up.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
With this change, you'd think it'd look more original than another 2020 game. Of course, that's just artwork, and nice art to boot. :p

The artist is pretty popular and folks are quite happy to see the return of his work from the tweets going around in response to the announcement.

My own personal pref is would have liked to see Mota return. D:

I'm guessing they dropped the 2020 portion to differentiate it from its PSP forebears, since this is back on a Nintendo handheld.
It's still cool that this series lives on. I love 7th Dragon and the 2020 entries.

Takao

Banned
It's weird they dropped the "2020" part of the title if they wanted to make a sequel to 2020-II. And what about "Code VFD"?

2020-II experienced a drop from the first game. As a 2013 release, that may or may not have had a lot to do with PSP's vintage, but Sega might be afraid that another 2020 branded entry could alienate potential customers ("Do I need to have played the other 2?").

As for the subtitle, prepare for 7th Dragon III: Code NHG next year ...

raven777

The producer and director is interesting...

How was Phantasy Star Zero?

Philippe-Senderos.gif

Top Bottom