• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm in The Bronx. GAF, what do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hate myself for making this thread, but hey I'm all ears. I'm in The Bronx and by that extension NY and so I wanna hear, read, whatever your recommendations.

Also shout outs to botty, our fiery driver(no GA), kisaya and sai-kun. Lovely people, would recommend.

Busty

Banned
Go to Manhattan

image.php

Bronx Zoo is always great, Botanical Gardens is gorgeous, City Island is a sweet little marine village with some fine food, Arthur Ave for some Italian Grub (the only Little Italy left in NYC), take in a Yankee game if they are in town, Bronx Museum of the Arts..etc.

Orchard Beach is near City Island but I haven't been there in years so I can't vouch for how it looks these days. Pelham Bay Park is also near City Island and its a huge park that has an Equestrian Center if you want to ride some horsies and it also has the Bartow-Pell Mansion.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
No offense, but that thread barely has anything on the Bronx.
Also Plywood you should try going to the Arthur Avenue Little Italy.

I know but...

I hate myself for making this thread, but hey I'm all ears. I'm in The Bronx and by that extension NY and so I wanna hear, read, whatever your recommendations.

Also shout outs to botty, our fiery driver(no GA), kisaya and sai-kun. Lovely people, would recommend.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What part of the Bronx friend? Go to the zoo, Arthur Ave, City Island etc.

Check out this thread http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=458717
I'm near Pelham Bay and thanks I'll check out the thread.
Do you like food? Museums? Parks? Clothes? Unusual shops? Coffee spots? Give some hints

EDIT: zoo suggestion is good, both Bronx and Central Park zoos imo
Yes, all of that sounds great.
I appreciate this.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Havana Cafe on East Tremont is dope. Went there for Father's Day. Nice vibe and decor, great food.

Catch a Yankee game. Conversely, check out some of the spots on that strip to watch the game and drink cheap instead. Yankee Tavern is one of my go-to's.

You can hit up Van Cortlandt Park---though as a South Bronx native, I scoff at calling that area the Bronx. Worth checking out for sure though.

Botanical Garden of course.

Just walking around Fordham shopping strip on a nice summer day, taking in the sights.

Chillin in St. Mary's Park on St. Ann's, ballin' and/or bbq.

Air

Banned
There's a lot of parks in the Bronx. I'm not into baseball so I don't go to Yankees games or anything. I don't really hang out in the Bronx (born manhattinite through and through) but you have the Bronx zoo which is great and the botanical gardens. I haven't been to orchard beach in a while but my gut says to stay away from there as it's pretty gross.

As far as Manhattan, if you're just visiting see the regular sites. You can visit one world trade, Empire State Building, the west village is great, you can go to the high line, any of the piers, etc.. If you have more time sign up to nonsense NY and they'll send you emails about a bunch of quirky events happening in the next week. Emails goes out on Friday I believe.

Stay away from 42nd street.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm near Pelham Bay and thanks I'll check out the thread.

That's great since I think Pelham Bay Park is the best park in all of the city. If you can somehow get a bike and hit some of those trails it's really awesome. I regularly ride from my house to City Island/Orchard Beach.

Btw don't go in the water at Orchard if you go.

Chillin in St. Mary's Park on St. Ann's, ballin' and/or bbq.

Not sure I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't have our street etiquette down.

Havana is good though. I went when it first opened and the food was awful. Another group took it over and it's so much better. One of the guys is also owner of Vapor lounge.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just to follow up, I went to Louie and Ernie's Pizza for a slice then swung by Teresa's Italian Ices & Cafe. Rode down to Washington Square park and walked up and down The Village until checking out the Comedy Club, lots of new material was tested by the comedians, but this one guy Jared Freid started killing towards the end of his time, I'll have to check out the rest of his material. Afterwards I hung out at the Groove until closing. The live band was really great and there was this one guy dancing that gave me life. Afterwards I had a bite at Gray's Papaya and they make an amazing coconut drink, would recommend. Also rode past Time's Square, still have a ton to check out, but so far so good.

Edit: Forgot to mention I scraped the surface of Pelham Bay Park prior to the above.

entremet

That's great since I think Pelham Bay Park is the best park in all of the city. If you can somehow get a bike and hit some of those trails it's really awesome. I regularly ride from my house to City Island/Orchard Beach.

Btw don't go in the water at Orchard if you go.

Not sure I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't have our street etiquette down.

Havana is good though. I went when it first opened and the food was awful. Another group took it over and it's so much better. One of the guys is also owner of Vapor lounge.

PBP is huge!

It's so underrated too. Too bad, though. Those trails are amazing.

Jhoan

What part of the Bronx friend? Go to the zoo, Arthur Ave, City Island etc.

Check out this thread http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=458717

No offense, but that thread barely has anything on the Bronx.
Also Plywood you should try going to the Arthur Avenue Little Italy.

*Ahem*

I made a new NYC thread using the original OP as a springboard but updated it to include places in The BX to visit in case you guys aren't aware of it. Please do check it out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073947

/PSA

Is it true that THE BRONX is the toughest neighborhood in America?
Do men walk around wearing bandana's and knuckle dusters?

But seriously, what's the place like? Nice? Dilapidated?

botty

Banned

we had a good time, but try some of that delicious food in the bronx. or the zoo... i guess.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
City Island - Some of the BEST sea Food you will ever eat... pick any restaurant

Bronx Zoo - cuz, aminalz!

Pelham Bay Park is a great place to chill

BX Museum of Art is Free

Apt101

You can say hello to my buddy Ed for me. He always knows where the dope parties are at. Unfortunately he lives a questionable lifestyle and if I tried to get you two connected for a night on the town you might end up in jail.

entremet

Is it true that THE BRONX is the toughest neighborhood in America?
Do men walk around wearing bandana's and knuckle dusters?

But seriously, what's the place like? Nice? Dilapidated?

It's reputation is mostly from the high crime rate during the 70s/80s in urban areas.

It's still mostly a poor borough, lots of immigrants, but there are some decent neighborhoods--Morris Park, Riverdale, City Island, Pelham Parkway.

The borough struggles mostly due to poverty and lack of education attainment amongst its residents. There are some rough places, though. And those places kinda bring down the whole borough.

But it's far from The Warriors lol.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
It's reputation is mostly from the high crime rate during the 70s/80s in urban areas.

It's still mostly a poor borough, lots of immigrants, but there are some decent neighborhoods--Morris Park, Riverdale, City Island, Pelham Parkway.

The borough struggles mostly due to poverty and lack of education attainment amongst its residents. There are some rough places, though. And those places kinda bring down the whole borough.

But it's far from The Warriors lol.

You know, I see what is going on with the whole Inwood/Washington Heights area and it's unbelievable to me having grown up there. It was a ton of hard working immigrants that had kids here sent them to school and now they are integrated into the millenial generation. Well, they (me included) are now making way more than our parents ever did and still want to hang out in our old haunts... so now for example there is a TON of money moved in the Inwood/Kingsbridge/Washington Heights area with like every new restaurant club whatever that's opened there. It's almost like a gentrification in terms of the amount of cash flowing into neighborhoods.

All that said, it gives me a lot of hope for my area and the Bronx in general. It's only a matter of time before the right people start coming of age. Get these old hood boogers out of here.

Ask Bobby Bonillla to show it to you.

True story, my ex was Bonilla's cousin. It was strange seeing all of his pics at her grandmother's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom