• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #171 - "What Lies Below"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Theme - "What Lies Below"

Word Limit: 1500

Submission Deadline: Friday, July 31st by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, August 1st, and goes until Monday, August 3rd at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Anonymous

Awwwwww yeeeeeeah, let's do this shit. It's been more than a year since we last did this,and I've been sitting on this waiting for a win to post it. Last year my entry planted the seed for a NaNoWriMo novel that November, will this time have the same success?

Probably not. But fuck it, let's do it anyway!

Instead of posting entries as normal, everyone PMs me their entry, and I will post them in a single batch once the submission period closes. After voting closes, the authors will be revealed. Until then... feel free to obfuscate and misdirect as much as you please!

To submit your entry, please send me your story (and title!) via PM. This could be a link to a doc or txt file, or plaintext in the PM itself. I will format all the entries to look similar, password-protect and PDF them, and host them on my Dropbox. They will be removed a week after the end of the challenge. Feel free to note in-thread that you've submitted... or don't!

If you don't feel comfortable submitting this way, please instead password-protect and PDF your story on your own, host it, and send me the link. I will post the link alongside the others at the end of the submission period.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Mike M

Nick N
OMG I was literally going to do the same secondary if I had won :DDD
tumblr_l196edcEXW1qabl99o1_500_large.jpg
Damn right.

Gamerloid

Since you plain to format them into password protected PDFs, that means Evilore doesn't eat them right?

Gah, I been wanting to improve in my writing so I think I'll sfart joining these threads.

I do/did have half a story written for Ouroboros but didn't know how to finish it. I think I bit off more than I could chew by making it cyberpunk rather than keeping it simple.

Nezumi

I do/did have half a story written for Ouroboros but didn't know how to finish it. I think I bit off more than I could chew by making it cyberpunk rather than keeping it simple.

You really shouldn't overthink it too much. Just write something :)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm going to enter this time.

or i'm just saying this so maybe someone will guess i wrote one of the stories and not think i'm dead.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I've got something started, if I manage to finish it then I guess you guys can read it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Damn, my exposition just nuked a third of my word count. I'm not sure I can make this thing lean enough to do all the things I want to do.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ah man, I've been doing this for a year, and only now have I started to consistently place.
Ain't no one taking that third place from me :p

Edit: Actually holy shit, It's been exactly a year since I started doing these!

Cowlick

Banned
I thought I didn't have a worthy idea for this prompt. Then I did.

And I thought I liked that idea. Until I didn't.

That story I started writing? I stopped. And I figured I wouldn't have another idea. Until I did.

tumblr_inline_nip82lTY811rrol2a.jpg

FlowersisBritish

So what are we to do with criticisms? Do we just do them normal? Or do we pretend we didn't write out stories and try to create an outside criticism?

Hi. I've never participated or even posted in any of the writing challenges but I usually browse through the threads. I think I'd like to give it a shot. Is there anything I should learn/do first?

/please don't bite >.<

FlowersisBritish

Hi. I've never participated or even posted in any of the writing challenges but I usually browse through the threads. I think I'd like to give it a shot. Is there anything I should learn/do first?

/please don't bite >.<

My best advice is start as soon as you can. If you have an idea, strike while the iron is hot, it's alright if it's not fully fleshed out, the key here is you've got to put the effort in, and the longer you wait the harder it's gonna be. Maybe join the writing hangout we have Sunday? Those are a good time to actually get some work done.

I'm planning the latter.

HaHA! let the ruses commence!

Neeener

Neo Member

/please don't bite >.<

Cyan gave me the best tip ever when I started... just always submit something, no matter what.
It takes a lot of the uncertainty and overwhelm out when you see it as an assignment that must be done even if it's not your best work ever. This is not about being judged or impressing anyone, it's really about writing consistently so you improve consistently... Plus it's fun!
So this is my approach... go to the hangout, turn something in.

What does 'anonymous' as a secondary objective mean?

Did you read the text below it?
Basically if you submit a story, send it to Mike M who will work some magic and post the stories without the GAF names attached to them. This way they can be judged without anybody knowing who wrote them. :)

Neeener

Neo Member
Did you read the text below it?
Basically if you submit a story, send it to Mike M who will work some magic and post the stories without the GAF names attached to them. This way they can be judged without anybody knowing who wrote them. :)

It's a pity MikeM doesn't get to join the fun though, knowing who wrote what... maybe would could submit them anonymously to an email address he provides?? It would be cool if it was TOTALLY anonymous.
I'd totally just go get a gmail for one time use!

Nezumi

It's a pity MikeM doesn't get to join the fun though, knowing who wrote what... maybe would could submit them anonymously to an email address he provides?? It would be cool if it was TOTALLY anonymous.
I'd totally just go get a gmail for one time use!

We had this discussion last time we did this and I made the exact same suggestion... I was I mocked for overcomplicating things...

Nezumi

I actually am driven mad by the not knowing, so this works out pretty well for me this round : )

I can hear your maniac laughter already...

Edit: I think we should have a vote on how many of us want to drive Mike mad.
*Raises hand*

Mike M

Nick N
Wait... I just noticed there were no grace periods listed. God damn it Mike. Do you want to drive everyone here nuts?
I actually never put in the grace period unless I get sloppy cutting and pasting the previous OP. Keep your deadlines!

Seriously, though, my philosophy is that if you get it in before I wake up the next morning, it still counts. But I'm not about to tell people that.

Neeener

Neo Member
I actually never put in the grace period unless I get sloppy cutting and pasting the previous OP. Keep your deadlines!

Well that's pretty much Nezumi, Ashes, and me out! :)
Someone want to slip MikeM a sleeping pill?

trying to resist the temptation of last minute Saturday morning writing! It seems I do my best work under pressure.

Nezumi

Well that's pretty much Nezumi, Ashes, and me out! :)
Someone want to slip MikeM a sleeping pill?

trying to resist the temptation of last minute Saturday morning writing! It seems I do my best work under pressure.

Can't do it this week either because we go on a trip Saturday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom